Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Post about what you are working on or have discovered.

quote:

tg discord : https://discord.gg/qFMBQ8a

Fuego Fish posted:

Discord server for TG discussion

How about a game this month. Quote a post from a previous chat thread you liked, want to remind people of or would like to see a follow up to.

I'll start:

ThreeStep posted:

I'm on my fourth unfinished Stars Without Number sector in the last couple of years. At this point I should probably combine them all together into one complete sandbox, convert some of the material from the Traveller Bundles of Holding I just bought and try and run something on here.

Would love to read what you have done so far ThreeStep.

:toot:

Joke of the month to beat

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Shadowrun?" - "I think it's runnier than you like it, sir."

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Stuff I found recently:

A Delta Green (modern Cthulhu conspiracy horror) wiki named The Fairfield project.

http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/

Goon clockworkjoe submitted a shotgun scenario for the 2015 contest and won second place with Burner. :toot:

Podcast: http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2016/01/genre/horror/fear-itself-burner-a-delta-green-shotgun-scenario/

Adventure: http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/burner

Loads of scenarios and ideas here: http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/shotgun-scenarios

I also highly recommend checking out the adventure Polybius (2014 first place winner) which chilled me as I read it last night. :http://fairfieldproject.wikidot.com/polybius

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

We probably don't need a new chat thread every month in this subforum. Judging bu the last thread, once a year would do.

Could be worth consolidating.

Facts are Useless what do you think? Rename the January thread the 2016 chat thread?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
A thing I stumbled across

VURT

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ravendesk/vurt-the-tabletop-roleplaying-game/description

:toot:

-Successful Kickstarter!
-Expected release summer of 2016!
-Cyberpunk base setting with flexibility for multiple generas!
-Based on Jeff Noon award winning Vurt series (Arthur C Clark 94 winner) and written with his approval!
-Using the Monty Cook Cypher system---

Wait, what? Why would you DO THAT???

quote:

Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game

by Ravendesk Games

A feather that opens a door. A door that opens out to infinite worlds. And now a tabletop RPG that lets you explore them all.

Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game is an RPG based on the visionary and hallucinatory science fiction of author Jeff Noon (who won the Arthur C. Clarke Award for Vurt in 1994). Amid the glass-strewn streets of the lethal and anarchic Manchester England of the near future, players ingest slender Vurt feathers to travel to parallel worlds as vivid, unique, and unpredictable as our wildest dreams. But they’re no mere fantasies. These worlds - and all the wonders and horrors they contain - are as a real, and every bit as dangerous, as the one you were born in.

In the Manchester, England of the future, players will square off in brutal gang fights and elude high-tech cops in pursuits throughout warrens of narrow streets; they’ll face insect-drone warfare, thought-stealing, genetic mutations; they’ll tangle with cybernetics, black market drugs (good luck with those!), DNA-shifting mathemagick, Shadow-tech, and illegal dream feathers (we’d warn you about these but you’ll ignore the warnings like everybody else does). And they’ll engage in epic battles with mythological monsters and gods who might know a thing or two about crossing over from the Vurt world into our own.

And, oh yes, then there are the worlds of The Vurt. Summoned via feathers both licit and illicit according to their hues, they’re as beautiful and varied as we can summon in our dreams and nightmares. Inside, players will discover impossible architectures with unpredictable creatures and allies, nightmarish monsters dwelling inside reconstructed and remixed myths in scenarios that—let’s be clear on this—can end in the death of those inside. Players will also find dangerous knowledge and otherworldly items in the forms of cyphers, artifacts, and oddities that can be taken back to the real world—if they’re willing to pay the price.

But we believe that, ultimately, it’s the richness and wealth of character choices that definitively set Vurt apart. We think Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game is going to resonate with a huge number of gamers, gamers who’ll be more comfortable and more adventurous playing it than any other role-playing game because it's liberating. It’s not a universe that cliches will feel at home in, and your party’s ability to smoothly transition into Vurt worlds and back is what makes Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game able to be played again and again while your characters advance to new heights within it.

Never heard of this before, also haven't heard of Jeff Noon's work before this. I'm curious. Please opine tg gents.

quote:

Who’s Behind Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game?

The best-selling Vurt novels—Vurt, Pollen, Nymphomation, Automated Alice and Pixel Juice—are today regarded as classic cyberpunk by one of the visionary masters of the genre. They’ve been hailed by critics internationally (picking up the prestigious Arthur C. Clarke and James W. Campbell awards along the way), and have been praised extensively by his contemporaries including William Gibson, Chuck Wendig and Warren Ellis.

Ravendesk Games’ quest to secure Jeff Noon’s permission to create Vurt: The Tabletop Roleplaying Game has spanned over four years of pitches, design documents, concept illustrations, and general cajoling. This year we nailed it, and after all this time we don’t think it’s be unbecoming to boast about the kind endorsement we received from Jeff Noon himself:

“The team at Ravendesk have delved into the novels with great creative passion and expertise. They've explored every aspect in fine detail, staying 100% true to the spirit of the imagined world, whilst at the same time allowing the characters and locations to really live off the page. I'm happy to be contributing short stories and other material to the gaming books. In all honesty, I think these guys know more about my novels than I do!”

“I'm very excited by the prospect of a tabletop roleplaying game based on Vurt,” Noon said. WE ARE TOO!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Plutonis, you have valuable comments to contribute and you can do better than that. No one at the moment is being a jackass ideologue, dude.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Serf posted:

Geez, why would you quote Plutonis' threadshitting?

Content: I'm working on building encounters and enemies for Strike, using Roll20. Idle question, how would you use Roll20 to reflect an area slowly flooding? As in, each turn the water level rises, creating more difficult terrain and interacting with other environmental hazards? Just add more drawings to the grid? Maybe prepare maps to move the players to? I originally wanted to have the water rise and lower turn-by-turn but that would require even more work I think.

Hmm. While this wouldn't model a situation like New Anor Londo +/- water, Harrow's question made me think of Darkest Dungeon.

Lets take the Stress mechanic in Darkest Dungeon. A gauge rises until it hits a threshold then a result occurs.

If you didn't want to radically change tactics maps, and you wanted to model something like a slow soaking of people due to a steady downpour or gradual flooding that turns dry earth into a muddy mess then eventually a swamp; why don't you abstract it?

You have a water gauge. One is added to the water counter every turn. Player says I'm heading for the high ground, player removes X water tokens or heading for low ground add tokens.

At a certain threshold of tokens secondary effects of terrain/local environmental variables are unlocked (exploding barrel now waterlogged, cannot be lit) or there are combat penalties (sword stuck in mud, soggy clothes, loving miserable, hypothermia, etc.)

:shrug:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
There are furries and then there is a thing that predates it by a messiah or two. I'll give Ken the benefit of the doubt.

....despite the picture (though Egyptian women are depicted with bared breasts)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
How many RPG sourcebooks on ancient Rome or classical Greece are there?

Which are good?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

DigitalRaven posted:

My favourite chat thread was in October, when we made Lasers & Feelings hacks for Cthulhu and Spy-Fi.

Don't we have a wiki? Those are really good and should be saved on a wiki.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Not much call for it? D&D is the single most popular RPG in the world!"

e: "Shadowrun?" - "I think it's runnier than you like it, sir."

I rolled my eyes.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Sort of funny how people will justify procrastination to themselves.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

It's also entirely in Papyrus. Today's Nazis just aren't as design savvy as they used to be.

Standards have dropped everywhere :negative:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
This is pretty cool.

Someone make a game out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2xz3do5_bY

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Repost but lol thjs is the Five Nights at Freddys Fuckmask

Pathfinder

:negative:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

Can't marry if you don't have a gender, and there's stats for an artifact fedora*.

* functions as girdle of goon change. Player swaps between redditor and goon.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Alright, now I'm mad. Its Venusian not "Venetian" you gently caress. :argh:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Engine Heart/robots inspiration http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-d-qHH9IPo

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
RPPR produced a fantastic podcast on the Old World of Darkness. Their strategy was to have two veteran WoD players explain Dirty Secrets of the Black hand to a guy (Faust from the Third Wheel) who has no idea what he is getting into.

The results are beautiful. :allears:

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2016/02/wod-the-heck/patreon-preview-wod-the-heck-dirty-secrets-of-the-black-hand/#comments

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

potatocubed posted:

I listened to that, and as someone who knew exactly what every reference was to it was fantastic. Then I read this interview with the new White Wolf lead storyteller:

http://imagonem.org/2016/02/15/white-wolfs-lead-storyteller-there-will-be-a-release-in-2016/

The way one illuminates the other is magical.

:catstare:

This is a GREAT FIND and I must post it everywhere.

quote:

Dateline: 15. FEBRUAR 2016

:frogsiren: White Wolf’s lead Storyteller: – There will be a release in 2016 :frogsiren:

Martin Elricsson, Lead Storyteller and Brand Architect at the newly Swedish White Wolf (recently acquired by Paradox Interactive) kindly took the time for a brief Q&A with Imagonem about upcoming plans.

Which game lines do you plan to revive, and when?

We prefer the term ”rise from torpor”. An elder awakening from a century of slumber is starving and hungry for fresh blood. So are we. Initial plans include products based on all of the ”classic” World of Darkness lines. It may be a while before we get to Mummy: The Resurrection tho :) Our launch plan will always be a secret until it’s not. I love the speculation and mystery surrounding future releases we saw in the 90’s, so we will definitely play with that aspect. Hints and clues to what will come next will appear in future products and WW communiques. There are actually a few of them out there already.

Will you prioritize computer games, or will we see pen-and-paper soon?

Short answer is that the economic centre of the company will be computer games. Unless something weird happens and people start buying roleplaying books, WoD novels and comics like they were Harry Potter. As things are now tabletop publishing hardly breaks even. Spiritually the core will always be tabletop rpg and larp. The Bibles we’re working on for computer games are written as if they were texts for a new tabletop edition, and will most likely be released in that format. :black101: Combined launches of digital and tabletop also games seem to make a lot of sense. In the last few years, focused and easy-to-use products like Mutant: Year Zero and Lamentations of the Flame Princess are selling unexpectedly well. Their brevity and low threshold makes them perfect for introducing new players to the hobby, while the monumental classic-WW-style books generally sell poorly and are more read than played. If future editions of WoD are actively used rather than collected we have done our job.

What form will the computer game take? MMO? Are you able to bring over content from CCP’s “World of Darkness”?

All releases will be announced when we feel confident they will release on time, reach our very high bar of quality and have enough material to be discussed by the community in a meaningful way. We own all assets connected to WoD, including the CCP content that they kindly gave us as a bonus when we made the purchase of the IP. I for one intend to make sure those 8 years of work by a hundred exceptionally talented creators doesn’t entirely go to waste.

You have mentioned larp plans. Will this be a new international “Camarilla”? How will the campaigns work, and what kind of system will you use?

We hope to be a resource to local Mind’s Eye Theatre troupes, not a dictatorial central committee.(:laugh:) Plans for some tools for communities and global character tracking are underway but way to early to talk specifics. What we can say is that MET will not be the only larp in town. Official White Wolf larps will not use Minds Eye Theatre rules but be organized more like Monitor Celestra or College of Wizardry.

Could you explain a little about the deal you’ve made with Onyx Path? What will be the main difference between “The Chronicles of Darkness” and “The World of Darkness”?

There is only one WoD. Chronicles of Darkness is a sandbox tabletop setting featuring the same broad creature types as the World of Darkness, but it is not the same world. It will not be spun off into computer games, novels, TV or anything else. It’s our specific brand for great metaplot-less, flexible, table-driven tabletop rpg. With the 2nd editions CoD has really found a separate identity from WoD and will continue to become even more of it’s own thing. We still own it but it’s Onyx Path’s baby. I love CoD and find that is a much more playable game with a more vague and unsettling aesthetic than WoD ever had. Too bad it never sold for poo poo and that old players hated it. It lacked the epic scope and the punk passion of the classic WoD. Had it done even remotely as well as the classic WoD things would be very different.

Onyx Path also have a license to produce nostalgia books for the classic WoD settings. These are official but set in the same nebulous ”eternal nineties”, using the old-school buckets-of-dice-system featured in the original lines. Future editions will move the setting, mythos, metaplot and mechanics almost 15 years forward into present day. It’s the same world, but a lot has changed. It’s useful to see the Classic and Anniversary books as highly subjective. The ultimate truth can’t be found in the books, but we can glimpse it through the multiplicity of perspectives presented. For instance Humanity is a mechanic presented from the Camarilla point of view, while Paths of Enlightenment give us the Sabbat perspective on the subject of morality. None of them are True. Both are models and simplifications.

Could you explain the vision for the new setting and metaplot, and the “eastward shift” (focusing on Europe, Russia and the Middle East)?

”What if the monsters are real, hidden among us?”, is the elevator pitch for the new metaplot. Gothic-Punk is dead and buried as an aesthetic. All the Apocalypses of the classic WoD has happened. In 2001 the Gehenna-war for the graves of the Antediluvians began. In 2006 the rise of the Wyrm and the inevitability of ecological Apocalypse became publicly known. The Technocracy has won, we surrendered when we allowed machines to shape our values and minds, trapping us in the paranoid realms of our personal filter-bubbles. At the same time we are applying engineering to quantum mechanics, making magical theories manifest as Science, so all hope is not lost. In line with this we integrate dramatic real world events to feature prominently in the story. We face difficult social subjects like the rise of fascism, religious fanaticism and the death of ideology in mainstream politics, head on. This naturally leads us to focus on areas where dramatic change is happening. Also there are more books on the US of Darkness than the rest of the world combined.

When can fans expect to see the first products for these new lines from Paradox and partners?

There will be a release in 2016.

What clans do you and CEO Tobias Sjögren belong to?

I’m a Toreador, he’s a Ventrue.

Any Mage plans?

Yes. :hellyeah:

Will the Werewolves remain crypto fascist eco-terrorist?

More than they have ever been. Global Warming has released the Wyrm-tide. The end of the Impergium (ancient Werewolves hunting humans to keep their numbers manageable) seems like a terrible mistake in retrospect.

What sucks most (pun intended) about being a Vampire?

The obsession with self-deception and appearing moral or darkly glorious to their peers. Never being able to be truly proud of who you are. Even The Sabbat need to think of themselves as ”good” in their fight against the Cam oppressors and the rising Ancients. The need to play the (anti-) hero is tragic. At the end of the night they’re addicts to sex, blood and power, masking the pursuit of their next fix as part of some grand scheme or other.

Where did White Wolf “get it wrong” last time around? What are your least favorite parts of the IP?

Anything that smells of Fantasy. The attempt to create a deep mythology by linking the setting to Exalted was the worst choice ever. (BOOO BOOOOO) That was the last step in WoD’d death-march from being an artistic horror-IP to full on immature, escapist Urban Fantasy. The inability to deal with and integrate real-world events in the setting. If you can write about the Holocaust, you can write about 9/11. Fear is the death of creativity. The game was always best in the hands of storytellers who dared to place the story close to reality, often in their own cities, featuring real places and people.

And vice versa: what were your favorite games and concepts?

Too many to list. The books are shock full of profound insights, human stories and heretical interpretations of real-world mythology and subculture. My most collected and (through my and Adriana Skarpeds political game series Prosopopeia) played game is :neckbeard: Wraith :neckbeard: (FAITH RESTORED). A small selection of my favorite books include 1st ed Vampire, Fatal Addiction, Gilded Cage, Damnation City (for V:TR, but very useful for V:TM) and Love Beyond Death.

So Technocracy winning = tumblr :911: gently caress

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 16, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

As the quest for peak irony strives further and further, a multi-million dollar company that made all its money on producing addictive and absorbing games that take hours to play and generally have no set victory conditions, and has purchased the IP from the producer of even more addictive MMOs, decries modern technology and advancements. "No, seriously, we're like the good guy hacker Tradition," the founder was quotes as he pushed his VR goggles up onto his forehead and hastily shoved a pile of money into a desk drawer, slamming it authoritatively.

:golfclap:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Strange broke my heart. I wanted a Torg Heartbreaker so bad and I got...well, the Cypher system, which is so bad.

but you went out and explored bad thus gained experience.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I highly recommend this short film. Great inspiration for scifi or mystery games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L7b5UZHOpY

It's best to go in blind. A non spoiler summary below.

Check out this intriguing science fiction short film directed by the talented Arthur Choupin and produced by ARI Pictures! David's life, ambitious young trader takes a new turn when he moves into an apartment self-regulated by an artificial intelligence named ARI. Originally designed for indoor comfort and household management, ARI surreptitiously intrudes into the professional life and privacy of David, under the suspicious gaze of Gump, his endearing pet robot.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Modiphius has been busy.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/robert-e-howards-conan-roleplaying-game

quote:

ROBERT E. HOWARD’S CONAN: ADVENTURES IN AN AGE UNDREAMED OF is a brand new roleplaying game based on the incredible character of Conan and of the Hyborian age.

We're running this Kickstarter to help fund one of the biggest line ups of major artists ever for a roleplaying game. Each book is a beautiful high quality hard cover book featuring a major commissioned cover art by one of the legendary names we have assembled along with truly authentic and evocative content by industry veterans and newcomers...

"Tread the jeweled thrones of the earth or die in towers of spider-haunted mystery. Crom cares not!"

...all under the watchful eye of world-renowned Conan experts and scholars including Jeffrey Shanks, Patrice Louinet and Mark Finn, working together to bring you the most authentic Conan roleplaying experience yet, focusing exclusively on Robert E. Howard’s original stories.

Featuring Modiphius’ 2d20 game system, also seen in the Mutant Chronicles, Infinity, and John Carter Warlord of Mars RPGs. Try it out!

The core rulebook for Robert E. Howard’s Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of is a 368 page full colour hardcover book containing everything you’ll need to adventure in the world of Robert E. Howard’s hero, Conan. It is based entirely on the canonical Conan stories, and uses the 2D20 system developed by Modiphius and used in Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition, Infinity, John Carter Warlord of Mars and other fine games. This tome presents character generation, the game’s rules, and a wealth of source material, including cultures, geography, religions, magic, gods, monsters, gamemastering advice, adventure seeds, and much more. This work has been developed by an all-star writing team, with close involvement by respected Robert E. Howard authorities, and is illustrated by world-renowned Conan artists.

All the supplements will also be in beautiful full colour hardback and describe the world in additional detail, presenting different styles of play from the phases of Conan’s saga... Thief, Barbarian, Mercenary, Pirate, the Unknown East, Brigand, Kingdoms of the South, Scout... and King. Other books will explore sorcery, monsters and demons, nameless cults, secret societies and fighting orders, distant lands, ancient ruins, and lost cities. The game line will be supported with a wide range of ready-to-play adventures and campaigns spanning the breadth of Conan’s world.

http://www.modiphius.com/conan-rpg-product-line.html

Free 50 page quickstarter manual: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/174829/Robert-E-Howards-CONAN-Roleplaying-Game-Quickstart

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Saw Pathfinder's Arcane Anthology

Now I want a game that is a cross between Bookhounds of London and Reccetear the Item Shop Tale. Preferably with Conan as a Thief climbing up minarets with a grappling hook with a bag full of stolen/rescued tomes.

Conan the Librarian.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

Cloud Atlas but with dnd settings.
I just want dark sun :black101:

Dark Sun with Vin diesel, The Rock, Tywin Lanninster with Aria and Peter Dinklage as Ringing Mountain halfings.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

the Yawning Portal is my mouth when I'm in the audience

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

An Eberron D&D movie would be pretty sweet, if only for

1. Medieval noir warforged private investigator having sweet fistfights on top of a lightning train
2. D&D nerds literally turning themselves inside out in rag at the most mainstream presentation of D&D being Eberron

:agreed:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

If I ever win the lottery I'm funding this, also warforged noir detective as a Law & Order spinoff.

Law and Order in the city of Sharn would rule.

They even talk about how customs in Sharn have to be on the look out for artifacts smuggled from Xendrik.

That pathfinder bundle is a really good deal.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
How about this. If the D&D movie actually has a loving plot above lol random Hero must fight Evil Wizard and has to visit a Dungeon for Hero miles or something I'll be impressed.

Game of Thrones is successful because a) backdrop is an ongoing war b) succession is at stake and character's decisions matter (among other reasons).

Not because they drop dank memes and make inside joke tomfoolery.

Hell, if they said "we are going with the Drow vs surface dwellers for compelling reasons" audences would respond.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Assuming it's not as hamfisted and clumsy as Revenge of the Sith, I would be interested in a movie that tried to make a thinly veiled allegory for the current issues of multiculturalism and immigration through the lens of fantasy race relations, such as what Starcraft 2 did with Legacy of the Void.

Though I don't think this movie is going to be it.

Exactly what I was thinking. A World of Warcraft movie could do this too, hell any movie could, if they decided to be uncompromising about quality and hire good writers/directors.

Of course then it would get butched in editing by Industry insiders like Kingdom of Heaven :negative:

Anyway, I'm primarily a story guy.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hahahahaha. Nights Black Agents vs Twilight vampires. Protecting our highschools from pedos. Love it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Game on Steam Greenlight called Witch House

Selling itself as a mash up of XCOM and Darkest Dungeon in a Lovecraftian world where your units are Investigators.

I'm not so sure it will deliver based on what I've seen but I'm keeping it on my radar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkiFHXBDSZ0

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=627611079

quote:

Game Features

Procedural generation: Explore a new combination of terrain, items and enemies on every case you embark.

Varied Environments: Investigate the haunting locales of Arkham, the mysterious Miskatonic Valley, and beyond into alien dreamscapes.

Living Story: Experience non-linear tale of supernatural greed, betrayal and madness, while making persistent decisions that will stay with your journey.

Assemble your team: Select, train and arm your investigators to suit your play style.

Character development: Your team will acquire new skills, reveal personality traits and secret histories over time.

Gothic atmosphere: Embark on adventure in a world of moody pulp noir imagery.

http://steamed.kotaku.com/witch-house-looks-like-gothic-xcom-1760625226

quote:

Supernatural crimes? Turn-based tactics? A detective main character who sounds like when he says he wants a whiskey on the rocks, he means jagged shards of gravel? Gee, Witch House, it seems an awful lot like you’re trying to get my attention.

Witch House takes place in the prohibition era. More specifically, it’s set in 1926 in Miskatonic Valley, New England. The place is, of course, haunted, because come on: it’s called Miskatonic Valley. Hello there, Lovecraft throwback.

Anyway, a lot of bad stuff is going down. That’s where you come in:

“The stars are aligning, hastening the arrival of a dark hour that thins the veil between worlds. Mad scientists toil to open trans-dimensional portals, while sinister cults conduct occult rituals to unleash horrors from another space and time.”

“Agents of the Armitage paranormal investigation agency have been recalled to Arkham, from fields diverse as exorcists, magicians and mobsters, in a bid to unravel the coalescing forces threatening the stability of our civilisation.”
You’ll lead teams of paranormal investigators on missions through spooky mansions, ancient ruins, and Beyond (whatever Beyond is, it will probably involve a proliferation of tentacles) in an effort to foil countless dark schemes a-brewin’. You can fight, sneak, or do some combination of the two. It’s your call.

In the process, you’ll build up characters of different types, acquiring not only new skills and abilities, but also “personality traits and secret histories.” INTRIGUE.

Witch House is on Steam Greenlight right now, but if all goes according to plan, it’ll enter Early Access later this year. I’m glad that the developers seem to be taking things nice and slow, because “XCOM meets X-Files meets Darkest Dungeon” is a pretty killer idea, but it’s still looking a little janky right now. Here’s hoping time and maybe a few dark rituals get it into proper sleuthing shape.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Traveling between completely separate worlds I could see done. Watch American Gangster. Russell Crow and Denzel Washington spend like 80% of the movie in separate worlds and don't meet each other until the end.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ratpick posted:

Two pages late to the D&D movie discussion, but even though what they're trying to do with it sounds good on paper I'm still reserved, mainly because doing a light fantasy adventure comedy sounds exactly like what the first Dungeons & Dragons film tried to do.

I mean, it was a bad film and everything, but based on what I can remember it seemed really transparent that they had wanted to make a funny movie with an ensemble cast of unlikely heroes with lots of witty banter and fun set-pieces even though it came across really badly in the final product due to the terrible writing, bad acting (save for Jeremy Irons who hammed it up just perfectly) and budget constraints.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but it sounds exactly like what the first D&D film tried to do.

As for the choice of setting, even though I would personally prefer a Fell's Five movie written by John Rogers or an Eberron film as well, I realize that Forgotten Realms has much more brand recognition outside of D&D circles, so it's understandable why they chose that setting.

Really wish they would stop using the "token black guy comic relief" or "token black guy soldier" unless they lay on some serious depth. It's unwatchable.

And knock off the campy blue lipstick you fucks. How about anybody who brings camp to the table is shot. How about that.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Here is a Savage Worlds homebrew of Xcom I've heard of.

http://exploring-infinity.com/x-com-rpg/

I also have a fan made xcom more detailed pdf I found on /tg/ somewhere let me check.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
:cthulhu: Delta Green Need To Know :cthulhu:

quote:

WELCOME TO THE APOCALYPSE

Born of the U.S. government’s 1928 raid on the degenerate coastal town of Innsmouth, Massachusetts, the covert agency known as Delta Green spent four decades opposing the forces of darkness with honor, but without glory. Stripped of sanction after a disastrous 1969 operation in Cambodia, Delta Green’s leaders made a secret pact: to continue their work without authority, without support, and without fear. Delta Green agents slip through the system, manipulating the federal bureaucracy while pushing the darkness back for another day—but often at a shattering personal cost.

In Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game, you are one of those agents. You’re the one they call when unnatural horrors seep into the world. You fight to keep cosmic evil from claiming human lives and sanity. You conspire to cover it all up so no one else must see what you’ve seen—or learn the terrible truths you’ve discovered.

The quickstart rulebook of DELTA GREEN: NEED TO KNOW includes everything you need to play Delta Green.

Complete rules for conducting investigations, overcoming crises, fighting for your life, and watching your sanity slip away.
Complete rules for character creation.
Six characters, ready to play.
A Delta Green operation, “Last Things Last,” ready for the Handler (the game moderator) to introduce your team to Delta Green tonight.

If you want to throw them a couple bucks:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/175760/Delta-Green-Need-to-Know

For Free here:

https://www.delta-green.com/2016/02/download-delta-green-need-to-know/

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Sine Nomine Publishing has another Kickstarter.

Godbound

Covok beat me to the punch :negative:

Covok posted:

Also, this is the second game to come out on Kickstarter that looks like it was inspired by Exalted...

Godbound: A Game of Divine Heroes has launched. It's an OSR game so interest in that subsection of the hobby is necessary. Kevin Crawford has consistently released on time in the past, his products have high quality and production values, and have been pretty fun. Also, to my knowledge, he isn't "outdated" is his views like some of the OSR, if you know what I mean.

If you want to try before you buy, he has put up a link to the game that he wanted backers to share.

The art budget has clearly increased.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1637945166/godbound-a-game-of-divine-heroes

quote:

Godbound is a tabletop role-playing game of newborn divinities awakening to unimaginable power. These men and women find themselves bound to the Words of Creation, the primal powers of a fallen cosmos where the Throne of God stands empty.

The world is shattered, its scattered realms racked by the aftershocks of the Last War and the final terrible struggle of the Made Gods who strove to replace the vanished Creator. Some realms have been reduced to nothing more than blasted wastelands and silent bones, while others still endure in faded splendor and growing hardship. Their natural laws flicker, for the great engines of Heaven have begun to fail from lack of care. Their angelic guardians were long ago dispersed by the Made Gods and now nurse a bitter hatred of humanity's usurpation.

There are heroes still, and shining cities, and peaceful villages where a son may grow old in his father's trade, but these things darken with each new year's passage. The world winds down by slow inches. Into this twilight age have come the Godbound. Some say that it is the decaying husks of the Made Gods that give them their power, gobbets of divinity falling like rot to congeal about the souls of humankind. Others believe that it is the work of the Creator, reaching out from Their silence to touch Their creations with new light. Most do pretend to know why it is that a common peasant girl should ignite with the sun's own brilliance, or a grizzled old soldier should suddenly find half an army falling before his notched blade.

The Godbound bring hope and terror in equal measure. Even the freshly-awakened among them have incredible powers, able to hurl thunderbolts like lesser men throw stones, or spit curses that kill five generations of their enemy's kin. They are burnt to ashes, and rise anew. They are buried under hillsides, and shout the stones apart. They sing up gold from barren earth or pour out an autumn harvest from their saddlebags. They work miracles, and men tremble.

Yet they are men and women, with the dreams that men and women dream. Some are saviors, determined to lift their people from their hardships and lead them to a better day. Others are mercenaries, lending their aid to whatever lord or sorcerer-prince can pay them in suitable coin. And some, of course, are blind fools who wield their powers with the recklessness of children, building their dreams on the bones of the poor mortals around them. There are few who can gainsay a Godbound's will.

Even so, such terrible powers do exist. In the wilderness the wretched parasite gods swell on stolen celestial power, sucking the world's blood from its wounds. Grim eldritch adepts plumb nameless secrets and forge pacts with the monstrous Uncreated for power enough to tax even a divinity. Hulking Misbegotten shamble from the darkness and bring their numberless spawn behind them. These and other foes can force a Godbound to flee or perish if the newborn wielder of the Words hasn't the help of a faithful pantheon of allies.

The heroes of Godbound are hurled into a world unprepared for their coming. They will shake the pillars of fallen Heaven and scar the thrones of the kings of earth. Some will seek adventure, others the pleasures of rule, and a few no more than the small and homely things that fate would conspire to deny them. Yet what they will find, in the end, only you can say.

What Does Godbound Offer?

Godbound is a tabletop role-playing game from Sine Nomine Publishing built specifically to support the tremendous deeds and realm-changing ambitions of demigod PCs. Forget zero-to-hero; characters in Godbound start off as legendary powers. From the very first game session they have the gifts and abilities necessary to fulfill their role as throne-shaking wild cards in a world that is slowly crumbling around them.

Yet this support isn't just for the players. Godbound is built in the classic Sine Nomine Publishing style, fabricated from the very start with the tools, techniques, and resources a GM needs to actually support demigod PCs and their doings. Godbound doesn't leave you alone to guess at the sort of things these heroes might be challenged by, or invite you to handwave the results of their deeds and ambitions. It gives you solid mechanics and clear tools to make a GM's job a pleasure rather than a grim test of ingenuity.

Godbound's mechanics are inspired by the classic old-school role-playing games of the early eighties, streamlined in ways informed by more modern design trends. While the single core book contains everything you need to play a campaign, you can also pull in content from these other old-school games and slot it swiftly into your campaign. You won't run out of content for your far-faring heroes when you can draw from forty years worth of creative effort to flesh out your campaign world or divert your players.

Even those GMs who don't actually want to use the mechanics that Godbound provides can get value from the book. The faction system that handles PC interaction with kingdoms and cabals and the change-creating system that manages their efforts to induce large-scale alterations in a place are both easily lifted and exported to other gaming systems. There are dozens of pages of GM tools for building noble courts, perilous ruins, or interesting obstacles to a goal, all system-neutral as well, and all meant to be slipped in conveniently into almost any fantasy role-playing game.

While I'm proud of the playability and flexibility of Godbound, I recognize that some GMs will want to use other systems with the tools I provide. In the traditional Sine Nomine Publishing fashion, I've made a point of building the book so it's still useful to people who prefer to use other systems, and still gives them their money's worth in resources and toolkits.

The funds raised with this Kickstarter will support the creation of a free PDF version of Godbound containing everything necessary to play the game, much as I have done with my award-winning Stars Without Number sci-fi RPG. This free version will help ensure that you have an easy time picking up additional players for your table. Beyond this, there will be an additional deluxe version that backers will receive as part of their pledge. In this deluxe edition are about 40 more pages of content, including:

Rules for creating mortal PCs, both common men and women struggling to survive and those heroes who can threaten even the Godbound.
Guidelines for the theotechnical cyberware of the Bright Republic and the enchanted clockwork augmentations of Vissio.
The terrible godwalkers of the Last War and the rules for building and running these titanic humanoid engines of sorcerous war.
The dread Witch-Queens of the Ulstang Skerries and their draugr thralls, both as opponents for your Godbound PCs and examples of how to create major enemies.

The True Strifes, divine martial arts patterned on the primordial conflicts of nature and passion. A half-dozen styles are described for the use of PCs and enemies, with each style trimmed with a premade NPC nemesis for easy campaign use.
Rules for building divine Paradises as citadels and soul-refuges for the Godbound and their worshipers. Defend your heavens against the machinations of your immortal foes!

Themed Godbound, for campaigns and settings that have particular flavors and styles to individual types of Godbound. These rules help you build your own types for your campaign, or use pre-made varieties for heroic paragons of human capability, primordial shapeshifters, refugees from hostile destinies, or elemental scions.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 2, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I appreciate the pilot's head is the third boob. :neckbeard:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Ah poo poo It's march isn't it. Do we keep this thread or make a new one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Mods please change thread title to something better than "March Madness".

• Locked thread