Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Uber has an evil logo:

And their name is not much better.

Also, I prefer lyft because you can tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Xlorp posted:

How long have I been asleep???

This made me laugh for an embarrassingly long amount of time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Like fast food, but for clothes. The cheap crappy popular stuff people buy when they can't afford better or just want something fun. H&M, Topshop, Zara, Forever 21, Old Navy, and part of the collections at places like Target and Walmart.

I'm not sure I understand the difference.

Is Uniqlo fast fashion? Their stuff is cheap, but their airism undershirts are the best undershirt I've ever bought.

My wife used to love Old Navy, but now complains that none of the styles suit her and the clothes wear out too quickly. Is that because of fast fashion? I thought Gap/Old Navy/2 other stores were all the same stuff anyway?

I buy most of my clothes at REI or Columbia because, as a fat person, I appreciate cooling and/or moisture wicking garments.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Professor Shark posted:

Comic book movies suck and so do comic books

Seriously, go back and read even an Alan Moore comic that you loved in your early 20's

Someone never read Top 10.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

monster on a stick posted:

I've never had a bad experience riding though I've only done it about a dozen times. :shrug: I do with the app had a tip button and don't know why they just don't add the thing.

Lyft has a tip button and they are slightly less evil in other ways too.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Detective No. 27 posted:

Anyone have any local places you're pretty sure are fronts?

We have an all you can eat pizza place here. As far as I know, it's not a chain. Yet they have at least ten catering vans. I've been there a few times and I know they do not do that much business to warrant those vans. The pizza itself is mediocre (I swear I get a weird banana aftertaste from it.)

There seem to be way too many psychics around, considering the real estate market around here.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Quidam Viator posted:

You're missing out if you haven't witnessed the AYCE debauchery of a CiCi's pizza. Highly reminiscent of th at old Golden Corral post. Autists getting 38 slices of pizza, licking off the toppings and throwing out the crust. Screaming nightmare kids everywhere.

They ain't going out of business any time soon, and they looooove strip malls. Fuckin America

I only eat there in Florida, but I have a weakness for their pizza-dough brownies.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

quote:

personal favorite "we will purposefully gently caress up our customers shopping experience as like a nod to our name".

What does this refer to?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Spiderjelly posted:

Live in Asia for three years and American mattresses will feel like marshmallows.

Who the gently caress wouldn't want to sleep on a marshmallow?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We're 30 days out from Disney and their website is a flaming shitpile. There's like a whole chapter about it in, I think, Disney War.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
All the Safeways around here are giving up on being 24/7 stores. Even the nice ones. I don't often need something between 1am and 5am, but it was nice that I had a choice other than Walmart.

I think they're still suffering from the ridiculous turnover rate they had when I worked there 4 years ago.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Detective No. 27 posted:

I didn't even know they had 24 hour Safeways. The one by me seems to have a low turnover rate. I've been seeing the same people there for years.

Can't beat WinCo.

It may be a regional issue, as I don't know what WinCo is, except from context. Here in the SF bay area they are constantly shorthanded, so I think they overwork people.

I love shopping late at night or early in the morning. It's so peaceful.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Neon Noodle posted:

Actual dire straits, their CEO is a lowpoly furniture delivery guy

The world is a better place with this post in it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I understand "Chibson", but " Fibson" is right there.

I go to 18|8 for my haircuts because they do a much better job at making my weird head look normal. However, they seem to be cutting the perks more and more the last three times I've gone. Originally, you could get as much alcohol as you can reasonable drink. Beer, red wine, white wine. Then, they cut down the number of drinks to 1(my stylist told me). Then no white wine at all (reds give me migraines). Finally, they switched from bottled water to tap water.

Don't get me wrong, tap water is fine (except the hair dust that can get in). It just seems to me that taking away the things that make you special is a good way to lose business. I feel like that's a trap lots of failing companies fall into.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The only arcades I care about now are the Musée Mécanique in San Francisco (antique penny arcade and vintage arcade games) and the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas. And I'm a sucker for a good (non-D&B) barcade, but that's dependent on the quality of the friends I'm with.

Check out the Pacific Pinball Museum in Alameda if you're in the area with free time.

Edit: everything's free play except a few very new ones, and usually there's a Groupon for admission. My wife took me here for my birthday and we played for a good 6 hours.

I can't believe there was pinball in Las Vegas and I missed it. :(

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Feb 26, 2018

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

FilthyImp posted:

90s aesthetics were varied though. Grunge to weird semi-organic roundness, to Xtreme everything to Millennial Silver candyfuturism.

Early 90s Afrocentrism looks are good tho.

What does that even look like?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Carrion Luggage posted:

thats lube free, jesus doesnt allow lube

1 Samuel 10:1 posted:

Then Samuel took the flask of oil, poured it on his head, kissed him and said, "Has not the LORD anointed you a ruler over His inheritance?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm guessing the "they" are in the same class as the execs and/or want to make sure that when they trash their companies for $$$ they also get huge bonuses.

:thermidor:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Japanese idols at least tend to completely disappear sometime in their 20s.

You wouldn't believe how much the meat sells for.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bird in a Blender posted:

"List Price" for pretty much everything is a joke. I buy tons of stuff for work, mostly pipe, valves, and fittings, and the price we pay is usually 15-20% of whatever the list price is. I don't even really know why it's set up like that, but that's how everyone works.

Sometimes people will pay it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Sometimes you can find amazingly marked-down Lego sets.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Does anyone else try to go to regular checkout when they can, or is it just me?

I suppose I'm just delaying thee inevitable.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Every Safeway here is so chronically understaffed, they had to take down the "never more than 3 in a line" signs. Turnover is just ridiculous because they treat people badly.

Also, cashiers should be allowed to sit like in civilized countries.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Zero One posted:

Publix has no self checkout, no behavior tracking "discount" card, and awesome chicken fingers.

Southern grocery supremacy :smug:

Wegmans is the greatest grocer and it's not even close.

We use our Safeway card to get money "off", but it doesn't seem like there's any reason to use any specific card. Other cards I've had sent you coupons or you could earn a Thanksgiving turkey. Safeway has nothing.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
If you've never had an avocado, how can you tell if the avocado is bad, or you just hate avocado?

Same question, but for entire kinds of cuisine, like Vietnamese.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ariong posted:

They aren't chicken nuggets or mac and cheese, so the thought of eating them makes me nauseous.

No, I'm just trying to figure out how anyone can learn if they like a thing without outside guidance.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ryonguy posted:

It really is peak white people taste to eat something with no accompaniment or seasoning and then declare it Not Good.

I'd like to watch a show where they match a rural Ohio family against a Dangerously Ethnic family and they each have to try the other's Family Recipe.

All that mayonnaise...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Anything otc is cheaper through Amazon. Except certain eye drops

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

MisterOblivious posted:

Does your local pharmacy do this for you?

'cause that's what Amazon just bought.

My God, the waste....

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Iron Crowned posted:

I would like to know more about this rubber mattress

Natural latex mattresses are like memory foam but it lasts longer before wearing out and it stays cool instead of retaining the heat.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

FlamingLiberal posted:

Lowe’s is shutting down all of its Orchard Hardware stores

https://twitter.com/kron4news/status/1032089620186427392?s=21

:saddowns:

I really like OSH. Even if it's an illusion I like the idea of a third choice. Maybe I can go local?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Microcline posted:

My new startup lets you memorialize your dead relatives forever on the blockchain for only 0.0042069 BTC

I don't get Bitcoin at all, but has someone put Terry Pratchett in there?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
When OSH closed I intended to switch to ACE, but they were kind of mean to me so now I guess I just won't do things.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Could I get away with saying "Yes, I have a Target card".

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I dated a guy in college who... I'll be charitable and just say wasn't the brightest or reliable bulb in the box. He worked at a mom'n'pop video store (back when those existed), and had this elaborate embezzlement system he called "time traveling".

He knew who his regulars were, that you could count on to rent a video on Thursday and have it back like clockwork by Saturday. Or Friday/Sunday, whatever --- as long as he knew he'd be working when they'd be returning the tapes, he got away with this. They'd ring up and pay in cash. My ex would keep track of all of these customers, and at the end of the shift when all the tapes were returned he would rig the computer so it thought it was the day of the rental, and make it look like those videos never got rented. He'd calculate how much money he could steal, pocket it, then reset the computer to the correct date. At least that's how I think it worked, it honestly baffled me at the time and that was like 20+ years ago. He did that for years, and never got caught.

Sometimes folks are clever in ways you wouldn't expect.

If this was Blockbuster, I would approve.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Good.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Henker posted:

Here in California, some grocer named Haggen tried to expand into the state a couple years back by buying up like 150 different other grocery stores and rebranding them. It ended up being a huge disaster and they had to close all of them within the year. Supposedly they were given bad pricing data from the company they bought the stores from (Albertsons) and massively overpriced everything.

And now there's basically Safeway:barf: and various flavours of Raleys.

Safeway is usually terrible inside and they have huge employee turnover because there's too much work for the number of employees they have. Crunch time at major holidays or whatever is acceptable, but no one can give 110% every single day. Everything is good whenever they open a new store/remodel, but 4-6 months after that everything's hosed up again.

I know it's capitalism, but I think most people can feel whether a store is happy or sad, and companies need to realise that a few extra employees are worth the cost.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

George H.W. oval office posted:

Sprouts is like Whole Foods minus the prices. It’s rad. Great bulk section too

:yeah:

I get most of my groceries from Sprouts, Trader Joes, and the farmers market.

Sometimes you just need canned Ravioli, though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Christmas and Thanksgiving are always going to be tough no matter how many coworkers you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Suck a Dick No Homo posted:

This was the worst page in the history of the forums

Go post in D&D and I'm sure you can top yourself.