Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
that stupid building is also on the tennessee drivers' license, of which one is in my pocket now.

still, better than Knoxville's landmark 80s-tastic sunsphere, most famously a wig shop Nelson knocks down in a Simpsons episode (s7, best season) which is also on the license.

REI is cool because the guys at the knox one don't give a gently caress when i ask for a road or mountain bike brake cable and sell it to me for $3 without asking me questions. they are also knowledgeable and helpful but don't ask annoying questions like "what are you working on" so it's far less irritating and cheaper than a bike shop, thus i give them my money for small parts (and i buy a lot of brake cables.) i hope all local bike shops go out of business. it seems like amazon and company are already doing a great job killing them. i for one could not be happier.

edit: bike shops are awful to deal with and i cannot imagine spending actual money at one. last time i was near one it was for a recall of defective Shimano cranks last fall and they tried to ransom the (decent but low end) bike back to me when shimano already paid them for the labor and sent them the parts. gently caress that. eventually i bitched enough and they begrudgingly gave it back to me.

pants in my pants has a new favorite as of 01:42 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
A Honda dealer will openly tell you that the survey has to be 5/5 so I'm sure American Honda is well aware of this. If you ever do have any problem with a Honda dealer or even a question about a car you can always call them in Torrance and they are very helpful irl.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I think they rebranded all the old regional brands around 2007 or so. Lenox is the most loving Atlanta thing ever.

Why do malls still exist? Are they too circling the drain?

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Ahaha loving goons. Beep boop the most logical clothing option is Costco. Btw jcp is not even close to being the same as Macy's. i don't shop at either but still.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

thathonkey posted:

Phipps and lennox are 2 large malls literally across the street from one another and theyre always crowded whenever i am in the area which is pretty frequently as one of my parents lives in bfuckhead still

Yeah I didn't phrase that right. Neither Phipps nor Lenox are going anywhere for a long time, but shittier malls/less upscale ones are really what I meant. Atlanta is also super materialistic and people like to go buy expensive things at Lenox.

I had to go to a drivers license office in DeKalb county that was in a lovely almost dead mall that looked straight out of the mid 80s. There were airbrush shirt shops and cheap hair accessory shops and actually the most pleasant license office I've been to. I guess it was closer to a flea market than a mall nowadays.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
that's kinda weird that there's a mall in downtown (?) denver. malls generally were way out in what was the burbs in the 60s-80s and actually in many cities killed off the downtown shopping areas. c.f. raleigh.

that license office was in south dekalb mall, apparently notable for being so dead that the chick fil a (apparently one of the first) closing in 2012. and yes, white flight from decatur: i was the only white person i saw in the building. ofc now decatur is kinda desirable if you're in a nonshitty area like north druid hills. not panthersville though.

i liked it in decatur, ITP is so much better it's unbelievable.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
There's still shitloads of dine-in Pizza Huts with the pointy roofs in Knoxville. There are also shitloads of Shoney's, which is like taking a time machine back to 1994.

Many of you may be aware of this but there is also: http://usedtobeapizzahut.blogspot.com

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Goons think chipotle is for hipsters because they're mostly aging, pasty computer janitors who think that anything specifically marketed as faux-quality like chipotle is "for hipsters" but chipotle is far too massive, lovely, and corporate to qualify. The fact that goons are so convinced of this is proof of the power of their marketing.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

i quite honestly can't think of anything so needful that I need to get it today yet so obscure that no stores around me have it

maybe your "high street" should get with the times lmao put some walmarts up or something idk stop loving kids and pigs mebbe

yeah gently caress england irl
it's really funny how they used to be an empire, then a leader in the world, and then just relevant, got owned really hard, after that they at least made some good music and now that that's been dead for 25+ years it's a "why does that place still exist" island full of ugly inbreds, bad weather and worse food where they speak a cryptic language resembling english but wrong enough to trigger an uncanny valley type response.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
i think you're missing the point

high street is to britons "a place where you buy things"
it may not be one street/place/area/district it's more of a concept

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
People also probably want to work for a company in a good state, like Illinois or Minnesota, than some flyover fuckhole like Iowa or Kansas or Nebraska.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Krispy Kareem posted:

Our NPR station in Atlanta has been doing pretty well, expanding local programing, and hitting their pledge numbers via the subscription model.

So what happens? The PBS TV affiliate buys out the 100k watt college station and is now competing directly with the NPR station showing the same loving programing. Do you really like This American Life and can't figure out internet streaming or podcasts? Well now it's on 4 times a week between two stations in the same market.

NPR stations will be circling the drain once all the olds die and people realize they can just donate straight to the 3 NPR stations that produce 90% of the content.

I forgot they did that. Goddamn, npr loving blows (not just for that reason tho)

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Jastiger posted:

It could be argued that he workers only voted against unionization because of the efforts of the REpublicans. It was REALLY close when they did polling on it.

For more on the South and why they are terrible but not always you can read this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785258

Why do you keep capitalizing the e in republicans? Stop that.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Honda's big things, Pilots and Ridgelines, were made in Ontario originally but they moved production down to Alabama a few years ago. I actually wondered about the quality of the newer Pilots and whelp.

BMW makes some of this stuff in some particularly hellish part of South Carolina which is actually worse than Alabama. I thinks it's only the garbage X models tho.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Jastiger posted:

I would seriously encourage you to check out my annual South posts and why I post the way I do about the South. It has little to do with Black people and a lot to do with the former Confederacy and the culture that it has engendered in that region of the United States. I even have facts, figures, and historical references in em.

Also, RELAX.

Here's the bigger thing: no one gives a single gently caress about you feel about the South you insufferable human being.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I just looked this up and am surprised they included Ohio / Michigan / Indiana as the mid west. I guess I always drew a mental line somewhere in Indiana where it just becomes a vast empty wasteland of Amish / Farmland / Gravel roads.

What do you mean "they included"? Everyone knows Indiana/Iowa/mich is the Midwest, what else would it be? I guess they don't teach geography at Walmart tho.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah if you're blocking me because I have ublock on then I don't want to see whatever it was I clicked on.

I briefly remember a time when certain sites would check your browser version and then pop up something like "you know you really should be using Firefox" but iirc these were mostly noncommercial sites with weird owners. Still, gently caress off.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I don't care for SUVs personally except the old bigass Blazers and Broncos and Scouts and Wagoneers and poo poo like that.

But I do love it when whiny nerds get mad about the cars other people choose to drive.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
"B-b-but they're unsafe!!" So what, I don't drive one.
"B-b-but they get lovely fuel economy!!" So what, I don't pay to put gas in one.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
It would be really cool if vehicles came in varying sizes and configurations to need the diverse needs of buyers. Those like me, who like simple, high quality sedans could purchase them and happily drive them for years. Conversely, those who prefer or require larger, smaller, or cheaper vehicles could also purchase and happily drive them too! Wouldn't that be great!!

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Cubey posted:

The Caravan did not save Chrysler. Being bailed out by the government and then being bought by Fiat did.

Actually in the era he's talking about the K platform saved Chrysler. That and closing half their plants and laying off half the line workers.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Reminder that Cadillac tried to sell a dressed up Cavalier as the "Cimarron" in the early 80s, amid GM's disastrous diesel offerings and Cadillac's infamous 4-6-8 engine. The mid-70s through about 1985 were a very bad time for cars and I will murder you if use that human being Muriel or whoever's stupid term for that era of car.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I live in a fairly hellish part of the south and someone must have told all the men here they need to own trucks because everyone drives a full size pickup truck. I do not take umbrage at their choice, nor to I care to think about their genitalia. I drive a sensible Japanese sedan because I don't want or need a truck. hth.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Solice Kirsk posted:

They're the wrong thing to drive. Didn't you read the posts? It's the same reason wearing anything but Carhardt jump suits is wrong because they are near indestructible and functional thus eliminating all th clothes waste in the world.

You're exactly right, it's the autistic goon reasoning. THE MOST LOGICAL CHOICE IS X, THEREFORE WHY WOULD ANYONE Y. beep hoop :spergin:

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
The big three (four?) had been churning out garbage for the "small car" market since ~1970, Chevy had the Vega, Ford the Pinto, Chrysler the whatever mopar shitpile they made, and AMC the Gremlin and Pacer. All the ones I could name sold mammoth quantities to the point of ubiquity, were pretty bad cars, got used up in short order, and you never see any of them after about 1990 because nobody bothered to take care of them. If you want to go back further in 1960 the Corvair was probably a theoretical prototype for these cars, but since it was air-cooled it had all sorts of little foibles that made it a not very good car. Eventually the water-cooled Chevy II/Nova came out and the corvair's position in the marketplace was questionable, kind of like Pontiac and Mercury and Oldsmobile in the 2000s, and they were dropped.

Actually I think I've heard that's a problem with ultra-cheap cars, people don't maintain them, like, at all, so after 15k without an oil change when it spins a bearing the owners get pissed and say its a garbage car. I can buy that theory.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
But really, in 1972 or even 1980, if you bought a cheap domestic car the expectation was you'd have it for maybe 3-5 years, at which point it's junk with 75k miles on it and you sell it for $100 to whoever answers your ad in the newspaper first. People seem to expect a lot more out of cars now, even if they won't be the owner in 5 years.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Cubey posted:

I'd agree if there still weren't 25 year old Hondas and Toyotas everywhere you went. I know goddamn well people take poo poo care of those as well for the same reason, but they just keep soldiering on. Our old roomate has an 89 Accord; it had 288 thousand miles on it when she lived here, who knows how many more it has now. Body is banged up, car smokes a bit and smelled like oil when she'd start it, but the fucker just won't die.

Sure, but in my head when i'm saying that I wasn't really counting hondas and toyotas. Hondas have the infamous Honda tax, applied when new and even as a parts car it is never fully gone, Toyotas aren't as good as Hondas in any department (well, maybe transmissions) but they are still excellent cars and you pay for that reputation. My Honda has 217k (or it will tomorrow) with minimal maintenance since new and aside from an oil seal leak and a strong raw gasoline smell after highway driving that I haven't been able to track down is a perfect automobile. I guess I need to get on that before it's a charred hulk.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

bongwizzard posted:

I tried to find a small truck when I got rid of my Scion xB people want crazy money for them, even in awful condition. There is clearly a demand for something like the pre-05 Tacoma, no idea why no one seems to make a small truck anymore.

Even the 80s Tacomas or whatever get 4-5k easy here, with rusted out bodies and 200k+ miles. My aunt has an ~01 Tacoma 2wd she bought new that has something like 70k miles on it now and every time she drives it she gets offers to buy it. I bet she could get the same amount she paid for it 15 years ago (or more) today. But there's nothing to replace it with since no one makes a truck that isn't bloated and full of electronic poo poo so I guess that explains the demand, and why she keeps it.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Marv Hushman posted:

You rang? The automobile was perfected when the B230 was mated with the M47, and from there it's all been bulbous cladding, cup holders, rear end scratchers, and I'm too stupid to know east from west so just fellate me and get me to church on time. Usually at the expense of core functionality.

Oh god yes. I bought my fourth one in June after 5 years out of the 240 world. Tracked down the owner of a semi-abandoned 1991 244 and after three months of the occasional text about selling it offered $500 which was clearly more than he expected. Put another 500 or so into it including tires and replacing trim and odds and ends and installing a stereo and doing general maintenance, registered it as an antique and drive it on the weekends. It cleaned up really well, a truly brilliant automobile.

e: mine's an aw70 tho. The 240 collectors world has changed a lot since since 2010 in that everything good got really expensive and some stuff you can't even get anymore.

pants in my pants has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Sep 16, 2016

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Thank you to whoever posted the regular car reviews, I have spent most of my free time in the past 24 hours watching them.

natetimm posted:

My dad is an Indiana motorhead and was a Chevy dude to the bone. He bought a 1968 Camaro Z28 brand new the year it came out and loved it. He ordered a Blazer directly from the factory in the 70s exactly the way he wanted it and it was such a piece of poo poo he swore off Chevy forever and spent the next 30 years driving Volkswagens and Subarus.
My dad was a longtime Ford guy before he bought his first Volvo in the 80s. His first car was a Corvair convertible that was so rusty he cracked the frame going over a railroad track, and to this day he'll see rust on a GM car and say something about "Body by Fisher." He drove Fords for a while after that but now that he's driven imports for 30+ years he'll probably never buy an American car again, and I grew up in imports and seeing and hearing that domestics are crap. So no matter how good Ford or GM makes a car, part of me just knows you can do better. Having owned "import" (my Honda was built in Ohio) cars as long as I've had my license, why take the gamble? Why pay a premium for a car made by lazy-rear end UAW workers? I have been to the Rouge plant in Dearborn and it does not inspire a whole lot of confidence watching them work.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Toyotas have been appliance cars since day one, a tarted-up Corolla sold as a Celica or whatever isn't really what made their name, it was the fact that you could buy a Toyota, drive it for 100k miles, and it still didn't have one foot in the junkyard. Or you could get easy 15% terms on a 1982 Starlet because you need to have a new car. Sure they've always made vaguely-but-not-quite-halo cars, but their bread and butter for a long time was a stripper corolla with a stick shift.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
Cycle Asylum purportedly told him to buy a starter bike like a ninja 250 or something but he went and got like a cbr600.

After he lost his arm and got insurance money because I guess it wasn't really his fault he bought a Lamborghini or Ferrari that was a stick shift (can you even buy one of those with an automatic?)

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Cubey posted:

this isn't an isis thing, old toyota trucks have been used by militias and poo poo for a real long time due to their reliability and ease of repair.

Some dude in Texas traded in his old f150 with his plumbing company's name and phone number on the side. A few months later it appeared in an Isis video or something with the lettering still on it and he got all kinds of hell for it on the ol' Internet. I think he sued Autonation or whatever chain owned the dealership. There was also a thing called the Toyota Wars in Africa where they used toyotas in exactly the capacity you're picturing in your head (loaded down with guys holding ak-47s.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Xaris posted:

what five cars are those

NA Miata, NB Miata, NC Miata, Subaru BR-Z, Scion FR-S.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Free Market Mambo posted:

AI also had a magical morgellons saga.

Yeah but it turned out the dude was just doing shitloads of meth. But no it's okay guys I used to take adderall so this is pretty much the same thing. Then he bitches about how no one will prescribe him the Xanax or adderall he "needs".

As a tweaker he also likes to buy dumb/lovely/oddball cars then bitch about how he can't find parts/that they constantly break. The AI circle jerk mafia delights in this.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
There's a pretty big dead mall in Oak Ridge TN, a town which is itself circling the drain. I think the only thing open is a JC Penney and a movie theater in an outbuilding. When your country stops needing radioactive poo poo and closes down the only major employer in the city, it goes downhill pretty fast even by East TN standards. There is a Kmart across the street from a Walmart, or at least there was as of this spring, the Kmart might be gone now.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

njark posted:

What poster was this?

14 INCH DICK or whatever his name of the week is, last I saw it was 14 BAR RIFF. He changes nicknames like Jastiger gets new avatars. He is still obsessed with a girl he dated ten years ago in California who mentally and physically abused him. He smoked what's believed to have been an owl pellet in a bowl. Most doctors he had access to wouldn't do anything other than tell him to stop smoking meth when he's go in screaming for the fifth time about worms inside his arms. He was diagnosed with "methamphetamine psychosis" and would get furious (on AI, probably not in person) when all they'd do is tell him to stop smoking so much meth and ask if he wants to speak with a social worker. Oddly, AI went full ostrich on the meth thing until it was just too obvious.

Eventually someone in AI called the cops or his job or both, I don't remember, while he was on a particularly destructive meth binge, so now he gets money from the state of Washington with which to buy insanely expensive one-year-only 70s Civic parts. He fairly recently bought a Gremlin or something by AMC that I don't think has run in 20+ years.

He's a broken person, but I don't think he's necessarily a bad person. Also this probably belongs in the forums saga thread, not a company circling the drain.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Kanish posted:

Don't forget anti truck chat and how every car would be better if it came in brown manual diesel wagon form.

Don't forget to preface it with "I don't mind them if you use them for work, but..." it's like saying "I'm not racist but..."

Ughhhh, people like a thing that I don't and it just burns me up inside.

There are hidden gems of threads in AI but it's rare and you have to ignore many of the posters and the groupthink.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

tactlessbastard posted:

How long have you had trouble changing out a set of battery cables?

…never? I put a positive one in my Honda from the junkyard last winter and it took like ten minutes. Or is this a “stairs in your house” thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
I guess maybe they could come up with a self-insurance scheme for the megabanks but why? As insurance, the FDIC presumably requires member banks to pay in to some fund so if they could get out of it while guaranteeing deposits, the big banks would probably be on it already. Though I think very little is actually ever paid out by the FDIC, they mainly act as the government men who come in and say "your bank is hosed, let's see if someone will buy whatever you have left" and basically broker mergers.

I have an account at Wells Fargo, which doesn't even have any branches where I am now. It was an account at a bank from Richmond that got bought up by the old Wachovia, which I think is different from the later Wachovia, which is now part of Wells Fargo. Please allow me to keep my FDIC insurance. My other account is at the biggest local bank in the area, and it's like going back in time to the 90s every time you go in there. Up until a couple months ago, they mailed me a dot-matrix printed account statement, now they mail a three-hole-punched laser printed statement that still looks like it's from the Month Ending September 30 1996.

pants in my pants has a new favorite as of 02:25 on Sep 29, 2016