Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's not a public company but Spotify is probably going to eat poo poo in the next year or two. It was one thing when they were losing money hand over fist as the only game in town, but now they're losing money hand over fist and Apple Music is stealing all their paying subscribers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Xaris posted:

Where do you see this? I loving love Spotify (and gently caress Pandora, I'm glad that poo poo is dying) so I hope they stick around without slowly bleeding out their entire music library (which is insanely comprehensive and good). I don't know anyone using Apple Music either.

though 'm a bit tired of hearing "Well.. the thing is.. I was just wondering if you wanted to...." "Lost for words? Share a song!" ad every 5 minutes.

Because Spotify is losing a lot of money, and have been losing money for as long as they've been around. They've been propped up by investor cash for most of their existence, but if Apple Music eclipses them a lot of the investors will get spooked and run.

As other goons have pointed out, it's not really Spotify's fault. Rates & royalties for streaming services are completely and utterly hosed, and Apple is taking advantage of their first party nature and sticking Apple Music front and center of every device they sell. Also they've got billions upon billions of dollars in assets and can afford to run their music streaming service at a loss in perpetuity until the RIAA gets dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Online reviews are a disease and if possible I'd like them to be cured asap, tia.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I distinctly remember that despite buying Farcry 3 via Steam I had to then link it to a uplay account which I promptly forgot, and so when I wanted to replay it a year later it wouldn't let me launch the game I clearly owned and installed via Steam because it was linked to different uplay account.

Oh well, Ubisoft is currently on the receiving end of a hostile takeover from Vivendi, so whoever the goon was who called their demise earlier in the thread gets a cookie.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Crazy Ted posted:

So...Tidal. It's about 18 months old and it's already been hit with its first Class Action lawsuit. Apparently they were fudging data to screw artists out of 30% to 40% of the royalties they were owed.

Good job :bravo:

:lol: Isn't Tidal the one that specifically made the point that they pay the highest royalties to artists?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chinatown posted:

seriously though can someone explain how Sears still exists? i havent been in one in at least 10 years and its at my local mall

The general consensus is that them holding on through 2014-2015 was something of a miracle, but they're not going to be holding on much longer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I bought a piece of poo poo clunker '95 850 Turbo with ~200k miles on it for a grand, and drove it 100 miles from the dealer to my mechanic. Mechanic tells me it's got a broken engine mounting, a cracked engine casing that's leaking oil that's inundated the AC hoses (which are torn), brake disks worn to the bone, and a bad serpentine belt. He looks at me and asks how the gently caress I even got it down to him, which is funny because it drove just fine and the only thing I noticed as broken was the AC.

I've now had it for close to three years and after that first major repair have almost zero problems with it. The fuel economy is hilariously poo poo but goddamn are Volvo's tanks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hobo Pyro posted:

burger king. when was the last time you got high and immediately needed burger king.

I'd agree except BK is franchised so it'll probably hang on for a good while like Quiznos, even if nobody is eating there anymore. Again, like Quiznos.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

5er posted:

If gravity takes over too much though, I expect WD is going to funnel them money or tech to keep them from entirely capitulating, as I'm sure they'd prefer to have one lovely competitor rather than get broken up as a monopoly.

This is basically what's happening with Intel and AMD. While Intel is eating some serious poo poo in the mobile chip market thanks to ARM and cheap as hell Qualcomm chips, they're absolutely crushing AMD in the x86 market, which is a problem because there's really nobody else making x86 chips but Intel and AMD. AMD is also losing ground badly to both Intel and nvidia in the GPU market (nvidia for discreet GPU's, Intel because their onboard CPU graphics chips basically made GPU's obsolete in the low-end & laptop PC markets). Intel is afraid more than anything of AMD going under, because it means they'd be the only x86 game in town, which would set them up for monopoly busting. They're already under scrutiny for their ludicrous market share over AMD. So they've been funneling money to AMD for years to try and keep them afloat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Holyshoot posted:

What do you expect when their employees are forced to make a certain quota of sales or have it go against you?

Last time I went to Fry's I grabbed a $4.99 USB adapter off the shelf, and a Fry's employee swooped in and hounded me all the way down the isle to the check-out line for me to let him take it to the back of the store where he was stationed, scan it, and give me a piece of paper to bring to all the way back to the check-out line so he could get credit for a sale he had no part in. :rolleyes:

Not to mention you can't stand still in that store for 10 seconds without half a dozen employees running up asking if they can help you find something. It's legitimately insufferable and makes me actively avoid shopping there so I don't have to deal with swatting away floor staff to buy a loving HDMI cable.