Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

gently caress, I loved Quiznos until just now when I decided to research this. Turkey ranch and Swiss was so drat good.

:smith:

Yeah, Quiznos subs were by far the best out of the main sub chains. Sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's hilarious that movie theaters keep adding frills like cushy chairs and dinner menus and all this poo poo when the main reason people don't go to the movies is because dumb assholes talking and playing on their phones during the movie.

We used to have a theater with a one-strike-and-you're-out talking policy and it was packed all the time. Then Carmike bought it and now it's a wasteland of trashy retards playing music on their phones during the movie.

The only time I ever have this problem is when I see horror movies since they attract obnoxious teenagers. I think if anything is causing theaters to die its because they now cost as much too see the movie per person as it would be to actually own it on blu-ray.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Around here, Chipotle restaurants always have a line to the door to order food, while Moe's and Qdoba are mostly deserted. Not sure how anyone could think they're in any danger whatsoever.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't think that MCDonalds' meat is the problem, though its what other people seem to focus on in their complaints. Its that the toppings are crap. A real slice of tomato would go a long long way towards making people forget about how much less than a quarter of a pound of meat they are actually getting in their quarter pounder. As is, McDonalds has to load up on the (also disgusting) sauces in order to hide the sorry state of their lettuce, tomatoes and pickles.

McDonald's has tried burgers with a slice of tomato on them numerous times over the years and the result is not good. The burgers are already soggy and soft, so adding tomato just amplifies this too much.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for the uBlock recommendation. Any recommendations for a tracking blocker besides Ghostery? Do I even need a tracking blocker with UBlock?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of radio... how's Sirius XM doing? Streaming services have rendered them completely useless. The fees are still expensive, even though for years they've been begging subscribers to stay with massive discounts.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
90% of the viral Vine videos were: *setup discussing thing* *smash cut to confirmation or contradiction of thing*

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

I'm mostly complaining about the overuse of the smash cut in vine videos

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hypha posted:

Please don't do this. Antibiotic resistance is a bitch to deal with and blanket usage is quite dangerous.

About once or twice a year I'm prone to mild sinus infections that persist until I get anti-biotics. It's annoying as hell to go to a doctor visit and give them money when I know I just need antibiotics. Would it really be that dangerous? Obviously using it like ibuprofen would be bad.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Even Atari 2600 cartridges were like $40-70. It's kind of crazy to think about dropping that many 1970's dollars to move dots around a screen.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Haifisch posted:

Kohl's is already a pile of chaos masquerading as a department store, so it's not like out-of-place returns would stand out much.

OK, it's not quite TJ Maxx level, but it's still pretty bad.

They keep building new shopping centers near me with both TJ Maxx AND Ross together, which are pretty much the same awful, awful store. I have no idea how these stores are seemingly thriving.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Choco1980 posted:

Can't be any worse than OKCupid, whom in the last six months has appeared to take away pretty much every feature that distinguished it in the online dating market and made it preferred by people. Want to see who visited your profile? You gotta pay up. Want to message someone? Better hope you both mutually "liked" each other's profiles, or they'll never see it. Have a clever, eye attracting user name? Too bad, now you have to change it to your "real" first name. But good news! You now get to see random users' instagram posts pop up on the front page! Also, instead of just randomly throwing local people at you on the front page, now they sort it by a shared keyword from their profile--one that seems completely random and has a strong chance of not actually appearing in your OWN profile! Isn't that great?!

A lot of this seems like a good thing to me, actually. The old dating website ways of letting everyone message everyone just meant that any decently attractive girl is bombarded with messages nonstop, so previously even if you both mutually liked each other, you still had a good chance of getting lost in the noise. If they still have their matching system then they're still better than Tinder, Bumble, etc.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

RocktheCaulk posted:

I’ve been hearing rumors of Target struggling for a long time from some vendors I work with, wouldn’t be surprised if they are bought. Lately it’s been a nicer experience going to Wal Mart than Target, like a world of difference. The Wally World is well stocked and organized while Target looks like a early 2000s Kmart.

That might be a regional thing. The Target stores here are still a better experience than Walmart, though in all fairness the Walmarts aren’t that bad. Going into something like Ross or TJ Maxx will really make you appreciate Walmart.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Yeah it's that yellow lighting... it's just depressing. I'd much rather go to wal-mart than target.

Most of the Targets here also don't have yellow lighting... but one of them does, and it's really jarring. However, I can't imagine a Target ever having dim lighting.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
All the Walmarts and Targets near me have self-checkouts that have the bag weighing disabled. At Target they have an employee watching people scan pretty closely. At Walmart, they have an employee but they usually aren't paying attention. I usually do my grocery shopping late at night and sometimes Walmart will only have the self-checkout open, which is a pain if I have a lot of groceries. Not gonna lie, I've intentionally "forgot" to scan a few things here and there but only cheap stuff that I could excuse forgetting to scan. No one has ever said anything.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't get the obsession with avocado either. It hardly has any flavor and it has a really gross, slimy texture.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ryonguy posted:

It really is peak white people taste to eat something with no accompaniment or seasoning and then declare it Not Good.

I'm talking about just adding a slice of avocado to a sandwich or salad or something. The only thing it adds is a nearly flavorless mushy texture. But for some reason everyone is doing this now. Of course it is good as guac with lots of seasonings.

edit: didn't realize this was two pages ago now

SweetMercifulCrap! has a new favorite as of 04:56 on Jun 21, 2018

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

kumba posted:

there are a ton of 7-11s on the west coast of florida, though when I moved to central florida there is not a single one within a 50-100 mile radius

They are all over Orlando but have been surpassed by a massive explosion of Wawas. Not that this is a bad thing.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've been going there to buy the Safe-T-Step all-black work shoes for years now. I get about 6 months out of them, I do a lot of walking at my job. Outside of the work shoes, most of their shoes feel cheap to me and definitely don't last as long as name brand shoes. I thought the whole point was supposed to be that you get name brand quality for off-brand prices. Maybe it's different for their women's shoes.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Eclipse12 posted:

Yes. After tourist season. Because of safety, you see.

It's normally open all year round.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Did any of you have a local Toys R Us that added an arcade? Around 1998/1999 the one in my hometown added a section of ticket redemption games. Instead of redeeming prizes you would insert the tickets into a machine for money vouchers to use at the store. So in other words, you were trading cash for "Geoffrey Dollars" at a horrible exchange rate. I want to say they were removed by 2001.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That’s what Disney+ did when they originally put the Simpsons up for streaming and it had the effect of actually removing sight gags and visual punchlines.

It was actually FX that did this when they put "Every Simpsons Ever" on FXX and on SimpsonsWorld.com. You could opt to stream the episodes in 4:3 but they were poor quality and had visible generation loss. Disney heard the complaints and rather than just put those crappy 4:3 copies up, they digitally cleaned them up and upscaled them to HD (as in, an HD 4:3 image). Credit where credit is due.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They recently opened a new Fazoli's here after being gone from the area for quite some time.

Fazoli's is about as good as Olive Garden. This is a compliment to Fazoli's and a dis to Olive Garden.

I absolutely loved Quiznos and thought they were definitely a top tier sub place.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
In general I think sub places where they have actual sandwich recipes to choose from, as opposed to stuff like Subway where you just pick your meat and anything else you want on it, are better*. Consistency probably has a lot to do with it. Subway can be either really good or total trash because there are more variables, like how fresh the ingredients are and how the employee assembles the sandwich.

*Publix Subs aside

Also BD's Mongolian Grill absolutely owns, it honestly might be my favorite restaurant which is weird to say since its a chain but I honestly think its that good, and it's also fun. I'm surprised there's not more of them.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This is really weird to me because I don't know a single person that has eaten there that doesn't at least like it. We're talking about this specific chain, right?: https://www.gomongo.com/

I know there are some similar restaurants that are also referred to as "Mongolian BBQ" or "Mongolian Grill".

SweetMercifulCrap! has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Jun 14, 2021

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

The chain Mongolian grill has been good for my diet because it's one of the only places in the area where I can get a 300-400 calorie plate of food. Unfortunately it's a bit expensive if you're not packing yourself as a buffet.

I wouldn't worry about cross contamination for pathogens given the temperatures involved, but I definitely would for allergens.

You can request that your food be cooked on a side grill for allergen reasons, at least at BD's Mongolian Grill.

Acute Grill posted:

There is around here, maybe it's regional. Literally "Mongolian BBQ." It's pretty clearly an "experience" place where you can put as many water chestnuts into a tiny bowl as you want and then an untrained high schooler scoops the still uncooked food onto a plate and they'll sing a tip song if you ring the bell.

Never had an undercooked dish. A few slightly over-cooked ones. They clearly are at least trained to leave the food on for a safe amount of time and then some.

I think we are talking about several different chains here which might answer for these discrepancies. I have eaten at five different BD's and always had a good experience.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Alright I got noodles, chicken... let's see.... what else can I put in this bowl. Hell, I don't know, peanut butter? I'm not a cook!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think Steak n Shake would benefit from dropping the table service. They always seem to be understaffed so the service is way too slow for a simple burger meal. At least all the locations around me are like this.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So many better sandwich chains have spread in the last two decades that Subway is no longer the first choice for most people, only something you pick because they stick them in convenient, tiny locations, like a community college campus.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Cracker Barrel has awesome pancakes, actually. But all of their dinner dishes I refer to as "yellow slop on a plate" because that's all it is - salty, buttery, greasy fried crap in various tones of yellow.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Knormal posted:

When the first Cracker Barrel in the area opened in Sacramento a few years back it was literally on the news, and for like a year it was impossible to visit because the parking lot was always full and there was a line out the door. There's clearly a niche it fills.

When it finally calmed down I went to try it, and man was it unimpressive. Not awful or anything, just not worth that hype.

They just opened up a White Castle here in Orlando, and it's the first White Castle in Florida in 50 years or something. For almost two months now it consistently has hour+ waits. For the first month, often two hours. It's hilarious to me because White Castle is only good if it's late night, you're drunk or high, and you can get it within minutes in the drive through. I can't imagine what people are thinking after waiting that long for garbage stoner food.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

The one near Orlando is around the corner from my house

You don’t have to wait 3 hours to get food there and as far as I know it’s the same as White Castle.

They're slightly different. Krystal burgers taste a little more like standard McDonalds burgers, have mustard, and aren't steamed. White Castle sliders have a more pronounced oniony taste, no mustard, and are steamed which gives them this intentionally soggy feel.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Read After Burning posted:

You sure? I could swear Krystal burgers are steamed too, they're also fairly soggy.

It honestly might just be the mustard that makes the difference.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Silly Burrito posted:

Bring back the Nintendo flip boxes and the tickets, TRU.

Yessss. As a kid I knew there technically wasn't a difference between buying a game elsewhere and using the tickets at Toys R Us, but something about the ticket process at Toys R Us made it seem more exciting.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Rick posted:

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1461348239878225934[

Perhaps putting a store on any pad that there wasn't already a Starbucks or Subway on was a bad business model for a pharmacy.

Anyone else feel like CVS stores are always an unpleasant experience? Walgreens manages to not be but for some reason CVS always is to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's a fun little time capsule of 00's RaWr lolrandom XD