Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Gelato is pretty good but the thing is 99% of the time that isn't gelato like the gelato shop in Rome makes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
You could do that but instead of just shamming them with vague bullshit you could actually work with them to help improve their situation or wellbeing? Some people really do just need a kick in the butt or someone on their sidelines cheering them on and if they're willing to pay for that then what's the harm?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Solice Kirsk posted:

I guess you're right. I'd just feel like I was scamming them because I would never pay anyone to basically give me a pep talk when I'm unsure. I mean, my job now is to help people with their money, so I'm used to giving advice, but there's something different about being registered with the SEC and designing my own cert and posting it to tell people that they deserve that new job and not to worry about what others think of them. I guess in the long run it's the same sort of thing and would use the same sort of skills I already posses, but it just feels....dirty somehow. Like even more dirty than watching a client withdrawal all of their money to buy gold bars to bury on their desert property.

I mean it's true that there's tons of people just taking advantage of the vulnerable in that industry. The lack of real regulation/licensing probably doesn't help at all.

Anyway to get back on topic, anyone check out Easy Jet this weekend? Share prices tumbled over 25% since BREXIT.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Ryoshi posted:

The HQ keeps samples that vendors bring in and then sell them to their employees in the "sample store", which occasionally leads to fun things like them selling hundreds of prop phone chargers that didn't actually have wires in them, or old lovely off-brand net books from 2007 with no cords or batteries.

The CEO runs the company like a gladiatorial arena - departments fight over limited funding in adversarial meetings explicitly scheduled to pit managers against each other, because everyone remembers that old adage "a house divided is totally awesome, guys."

That same CEO forced IT to spend millions developing an internal social network and then forced employees to use it specifically to spy on them.

etalian posted:

Their weirdo CEO was also obsessed with objectivist philosophy.

What the actual gently caress? Why haven't the shareholders revolted haha what the hell.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

PallasAthene posted:

Do you think stuff like truecar will eventually get a lot of car dealerships to do away with commissioned salesmen? I've never used it, but it seems like the point is to get rid of wiggle room on prices so they don't need to offer salesmen the incentive of getting more commission on a higher sales price.

I want to say that CarMax already works like this if you go buy a car from them.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Given the flood of (often wrong) data/information on the internet you'd think actually that niche knowledgeable salespeople would come back into vogue for all the reasons mentioned.

I know I'd definitely go visit a store vs buy online if I knew there was a real person I could speak to that would know what the hell I'm talking about but I guess the strategy of 'turn the store into a showroom for the website' works better for big box stores in terms of short term share prices?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I know someone that worked at BB recently and she told me it was 95% selling phones and crap people could get cheaper online and 5% getting yelled at for not selling enough warranties.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I think ubiquitous 'free shipping' has blinded consumers to the real costs of shipping and I highly doubt Amazon is going to profitably be able to deliver small ticket items that you could get at a store at much profit (if any). We'll see I suppose but I bet 'same day' will only be in fairly highly populated areas and not really available to most of the rest of the country.

Probably determined by your proximity to a distribution center/warehouse.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

thathonkey posted:

I tried amazon's same-day shipping one time and felt guilty. It was a >$100 item though at least

Out of curiosity, how did it get delivered? Local carrier company I assume? UPS/FedEx?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

PallasAthene posted:

I've come across plenty of smaller items that won't ship unless you're buying something else. I assume that means they somehow lose money if they try and ship them alone, even if you're paying the flat shipping rate?

Yeah that's why they do that.

Say you're buying a $10 trinket. Even if they had an extremely generous profit margin of 50% on that item, it's going to easily cost them more than $5 to get it to you and they'd lose money on the sale. Also add in 1-2% to the merchant processor, a few percent for taxes they pay, etc.

If they ship FedEx/UPS they get even more screwed, you should see the random fees that get charged. Residential address is another $2-3, 'out of area' (basically anywhere that isn't a major city) is another $2-3, and so on.

Amazon probably has a big discount due to their volume but still.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Frankly I'm amazed that people like that get funding at all.

Hand me some VC billions; at the very least I promise I won't defraud everyone involved. What were her qualifications other than 19 yr old drop out with some networking advantages? Stupefying.

She just lied and got hundreds of millions in initial funding. Aside from journalists being lazy, someone failed to do their due diligence in a big way.

Roylicious has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Sep 13, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Lil Peeler posted:

We hear about these things all the time, from Über to NMS to Theranos and especially with food delivery apps. All it takes is some charisma and high hopes to get that initial investment, and then it's just snowballing from there.

But those at least all deliver functioning products. I can get an Uber right now and it'll take me where I want to go. It's just a question of believing in their prospectus and business strategy. There's a tangible thing to point to and say 'this company does this.' Even if the thing is just a stupid bicycle that straps over your shoulders it's a real thing that they can point to and talk about.

This woman just completely made some medical device up which put hundreds of thousands of people a year at risk because their doctors depended on results from Theranos machines to make diagnoses. When asked how it works, she just said 'it does some chemistry to get a reaction which is translated into results through chemistry.'

That's "they asked me how well I understood theoretical physics chemistry. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics chemistry. They said welcome aboard."

Roylicious has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Sep 13, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
If you need a pick up for a real reason like you haul stuff a lot for work that's okay by me.

90% of people who drive a pick up do not need it, and also most of those are terrible drivers who think that they are somehow immune to damage just because they sit a foot higher than everyone else and tailgate/speed and weave through traffic like idiots.

Roylicious has a new favorite as of 18:57 on Sep 15, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

JnnyThndrs posted:

I blame the slushboxification of the US - nobody makes stickshifts anymore, so nobody learns to drive a stickshift, so people get used to just shoving their foot 1/3 of the way down and if the car doesn't feel fast, it's 'underpowered'. Rev-happy engines -need- to be paired with stick shifts, that's the only way they feel fast, and it's like 10x as fun to bang off shifts at 7200rpms compared to flapping a paddle or whatever.

Meh F1 uses paddles.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Pharaoh is good.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Darth123123 posted:

Then how do you believe it?

Everything is a scam until proven otherwise.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

two forty posted:

Don't forget to preface it with "I don't mind them if you use them for work, but..." it's like saying "I'm not racist but..."

Ughhhh, people like a thing that I don't and it just burns me up inside.

There are hidden gems of threads in AI but it's rare and you have to ignore many of the posters and the groupthink.

Yeah isn't it so weird how people are annoyed at other folks who drive massive utility vehicles whose utility is entirely unused while said utility vehicle drivers also drive like entitled maniacs?

Huh so strange.

I don't like most BMW drivers either but it doesn't have a lot to do with the car itself.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
DB can go to hell and HSBC as well.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
HSBC should have have their charter pulled. I hope the DoJ tears up their laundering settlement agreement and lays down the pain after this rigged currency trading debacle.

quote:

More than 1,000 pages of customer records and secret audio recordings brought to WND by whistleblower John Cruz, a former HSBC employee, showed HSBC employees in Long Island were stealing the Social Security numbers of former bank depositors to create bogus “pass-through” accounts used to launder hundreds of millions of dollars for criminal enterprises such as Mexican drug cartels and Islamic terrorists.

WND reported in February 2015 Cruz told Senate Judiciary Committee staff preparing for the Loretta Lynch confirmation hearings that he considered the $1.9 billion fine DOJ imposed on HSBC in 2012 in lieu of criminal prosecution “a joke.” Cruz argued that a $1.9 billion fine of an international bank the size of HSBC amounted to no more than “a few days operating profit.” He described it as “a cost of doing business” once HSBC had decided to launder money for international criminals.[/url]

Roylicious has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Sep 20, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Quote-Unquote posted:

lmao hope all you like dude. I think 2008 proved that you can be as evil and blatantly fraudulent and corrupt as you like and it's fine so long as you're a major bank.

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Lol keep hoping

I know it won't happen. It's just what should happen.

Darth123123 posted:

World Net Daily? Seriously?

Is that not a pre-approved goon source? It's not like it's some conspiracy theory you can look up HSBC's laundering charges yourself if you like.

Here's Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-02/hsbc-judge-approves-1-9b-drug-money-laundering-accord

quote:

HSBC was accused of failing to monitor more than $670 billion in wire transfers and more than $9.4 billion in purchases of U.S. currency from HSBC Mexico, allowing for money laundering, prosecutors said. The bank also violated U.S. economic sanctions against Iran, Libya, Sudan, Burma and Cuba, according to a criminal information filed in the case.

and here's NYT on the recent stuff that the DoJ is mad about and threatening to tear up the previous laundering settlement for: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/21/business/dealbook/hsbc-foreign-exchange-investigation-currency.html

quote:

Two senior executives of HSBC face criminal charges, accused of a currency manipulation scheme that federal prosecutors say generated $8 million in profits and fees.

The global head of HSBC’s foreign exchange cash trading desk, Mark Johnson, a Briton, was arrested by federal agents Tuesday night at Kennedy International Airport as he was boarding a flight to London.

He and Stuart Scott, the former head of the bank’s currency trading desk for Europe, the Middle East and Africa, were charged with conspiracy to commit wire fraud related to a transaction on behalf of a corporate client, exchanging dollars for British pounds.

Roylicious has a new favorite as of 19:08 on Sep 20, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Darth123123 posted:

Nah I know the story is legit but WND is a right wing freak rag. Just look at every article on the front page right below the Michael Savage banner ad.

Oh my bad then. I just grabbed the first headline I saw on Google when I searched for HSBC laundering.

Teikanmi posted:

No chance in loving hell the 4th largest financial in the world is going to be intentionally shunned by the entire world banking system no matter what they do, really.

Not the entire world, just the USA where their charter should be pulled.

I mean again yeah it's not going to happen but the very concept of companies that are so large they can't really be effectively regulated such that they can violate laws at will with no real concern beyond "just the cost of doing business" is kind of leading to something nasty I think.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

cuck cuck im gay posted:

I'm not even talking about the executives. I'm talking about the employees that they knew did it. All they did was fire them.

Probably because the employees didn't directly benefit (Wells Fargo did), most of the accounts opened were free of any fees (since the idea was to pump the account numbers and obv you can't have the customers notice one day and come in and say 'hey what the hell'), and because the only reason it happened was because of terrible management.

But yeah it's still fraud I dunno.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

cuck cuck im gay posted:

The accounts weren't free of fees at all. People were getting collection notices in the mail for not having enough in their fake checking accounts. It's how the whole thing was discovered.

Not all of them were free from fees obv, but something like 90%+ of them were.

That's partially why it's so embarassing for WF (and not being treated as serious organized fraud); they didn't make anything off it really. A few mil iirc, which was wiped out and then some by the resulting fine.

e: for example out of the 565k+ credit card accounts opened, only 14k of them incurred a fee.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

darkhand posted:

I would find it hard to believe a bunch of random employees came up with the same highly illegal activity at the same time period without managers knowing, or telling them to do it.

Then read more about this situation idk. It's a fairly common thing in management; the concept is "you get what you measure." If WF is measuring accounts opened and basing employee performance on that alone it's not hard to see how if they put sufficient pressure on the employees they might get wonky results.

Management says an employee has to upsell X or get fired and puts constant pressure on you to perform while giving you unreasonable goals, an employee might feel the need to panic and do something shady to keep their job.

e: here actually https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-09-09/wells-fargo-opened-a-couple-million-fake-accounts

quote:

Wells Fargo has strict quotas regulating the number of daily "solutions" that its bankers must reach; these "solutions" include the opening of all new banking and credit card accounts. Managers constantly hound, berate, demean and threaten employees to meet these unreachable quotas. Managers often tell employees to do whatever it takes to reach their quotas. Employees who do not reach their quotas are often required to work hours beyond their typical work schedule without being compensated for that extra work time, and/or are threatened with termination.

e: what I do find odd is WF claiming they had 0 idea at all yet they also fired thousands of employees over the last couple years for it... so they either were monumentally dumb and didn't see the pattern or just decided to turn a blind eye. I don't think it's that odd that a bunch of employees independently all did this without explicit instruction to do so, though. But again they didn't profit from this.

I've definitely filled out some bogus client info for a job that was demanding lots of feedback cards and whatnot.

Roylicious has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Sep 20, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
All I'm hoping is that when I go cash a corporate check at WF they'll stop hounding me to open an account and save the $7.50 check cashing fee they shouldn't be levying on me in the first place.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

darkhand posted:

That was my point. In which case they should be fired regardless

Oh then well yeah sorry.

darkhand posted:

And I dunno why execs come up with these horseshit metrics. "Sell 100 cars or your fired!" It's just a losing proposition for customer and employee.

Because they're morons.

I really don't know what else to say.

Points to Senator Warren though for tearing him a new one:

Warren posted:

“You should resign. . . . You should be criminally investigated,” she said, barely pausing long enough to let Stumpf utter more than a few words at a time. “You haven’t resigned, you haven’t returned a single nickel of your personal earnings, you haven’t fired a single senior executive. Instead, evidently your definition of ‘accountable’ is to push the blame to your low-level employees who don’t have the money for a fancy P.R. firm to defend themselves. It’s gutless leadership.”

e:

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Lol that's exorbitant, why would you pay that?

If I don't they won't cash the check :shrug: A Wells Fargo check. I'd just throw it in my account but it's not for me and if I'm at WF cashing it it's because we need cash on hand that same day.

It's only once every few months so whatever but still.

Roylicious has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Jastiger posted:

How can you be happy to tske on all the profits and bonuses, then find out it was all illegal, and STILL KEEP THE MONEY?!

But... my helicopter...

*frowns*

Look I earned those bonuses!