Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lots of dumb poo poo in this thread but how can people say that apple and Microsoft are going down? Who doesn't have an iPhone or iPad? Who doesn't use a PC with Windows? Like lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The same people who hate Microsoft and such are the same that tweaked/hacked the poo poo out of Windows 7 and all its processes and features etc to free up like .00001% ram

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

People used aero? Lol

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

whatever happened to like paying a respectable wage and treating workers decent like Costco

I know there's a lot of lol capitalism or whatever jokes in there but seriously. Happy workers increased and better work production...?

obv I don't understand America

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Like how this thread turned into some real talk fast, maybe because of my post. Either way you guys speaking the truth. Amen

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Opening a swanky overpriced burger joint is just like a club. Keep a queue outside and you'll have droves of people lining up

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

Chipotle is for healthier, actual food

And this folks is how Chipotle got popular in the first place lmao

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I mean cellphone carriers are generally universally garage but if someone is having poo poo service and complaining 100% chance it's sprint

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah ublock is dope

It's funny how anytime a really good product like that comes out you know they're gonna sell out eventually and go against what the whole point of the program was

Like I remember all those good free PDF readers I've been using over the years that just slowly turned to poo poo and the free spyware cleaners that eventually add spyware themselves, etc

I can't think of any other good examples but yeah

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

God damnit that was the other example I couldn't think of! I remember that whole scandal where it was installing spyware and the dude took all the pertinent screenshots and they still lied through their teeth about it

You guys remember that lame rear end Facebook alternative that was popular for a month that took pride in not being ran by a corporation and having no ads and data mining etc. I wonder if they sold out yet

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

It's probably because the sad truth is that people making altruistic programs that do useful poo poo out of the goodness of their hearts still have to eat and pay bills, and they can't devote thousands of hours upgrading their software without getting paid at some point. And even if they can, chances are some greedy gently caress or multiple greedy fucks will pounce on the Good Free App and offer a ton of money to the programmer who will immediately sell it off for a ton of money. The greedy gently caress(s) will then make a ton of money for the first few months until everybody gets fed up with the adware and spyware and then they'll migrate to another program that's similar but ad free.

Then the cycle repeats.

Oh you better believe I'd sell out for enough money as well. It's just that with programs like that it's not a matter of if but when

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Business Gorillas posted:

I like the idea of a list of cool programs to have since some of us are stuck in 2008.

I have ublock, qbtorrent, what else is a good thing to have? Is AVG still a cool and handsome?

There was a good thread for a while with this kind of poo poo in one of those tech subforums no one uses. We should remake it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

is ccleaner just bloated as poo poo now and keeping with the theme of the things we are discussing in this thread? What's the alternative?

Fiend posted:

Yelp is firing all their Literary Science majors, their research department is probably next.

I hate the company as a whole and their shady tactics but is there really any alternative?

I knew a chef at a small restaurant and she said it would cost her boss $800/month to have 5 star reviews show first

Nostalgia4Dogges has a new favorite as of 08:11 on Feb 22, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

etalian posted:

They also charge money to remove negative ratings

"10 5 star reviews!

163 reviews that are not currently recommended"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sudo Echo posted:

uTorrent is a prime example of this. foxit PDF reader too.

Yup. Two big ones that immediately come to mind

For those wondering (unless I'm missing something) Sumatra is the pdf program you want

Does Adobe Acrobat still take 20 minutes to open a PDF

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

The point of the app is to make app money. So no, that's exactly what the app is for.

so did yelp start out that way or? I mean obviously money talks and once it blew up they knew they could just make a killing being predatory on small business'

I'm surprised a worthwhile contender hasn't came up yet besides Google reviews. Which yeah doesn't really get used

I love the little "we NEVER charge to alter reviews" spiel they do/did on the main page or whatever

Any worthwhile spyware/virus to run 24/7? Even any point anymore? Is the built in Windows defender good enough? I know AVG and avast were good once upon a time but probably bloated and shady as poo poo now

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I just use Yelp if I'm looking for something niche or somewhere in unfamiliar. I ignore any review below 4 really unless they don't even have that

"Excellent food and service. That said there was some flies on the patio where we were eating. If I could give negative stars I would, 0 stars"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

SquadronROE posted:

How is Best Buy actually doing? I continue to be surprised that they can actually attract customers.

I imagine they'll be around a bit. They cater to the impulsive folk and grandmas. Plus with price matching and ship to store etc

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Spotify seems well and fine? I mean I don't know what kind of laughable royalty payouts they're giving but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lmao it's 2016 which one of you losers still willingly listen to the radio I mean really

I mean I did in the 90s because there wasn't any other alternative and even then it sucked. Even in a population dense area your options are always oldies, a rock station, and that rock station with the zany host(s). Even then I knew it sucked and the commercials were obnoxious and way too frequent

Or I guess you guys love the sick pranks they pull on people's spouses in the AM