Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Siri lives in my phone and she can't even bring up Uber or tell my MapMyRun app to pause.

Alexa is way better. Does google or microsoft have an anthropomorphised speech to command lady?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

because siri's app integration only exists to push you into using apple apps. in a perfect world i'd be able to play music from spotify w/ siri but how would that feature generate revenue for apple

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

actually tho you can just say "hey siri launch uber" and it should work

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

As a Millennial I posted:

actually tho you can just say "hey siri launch uber" and it should work

Yeah at which point I have to use my fingers like some sort of stone age clown.

Does apple ever plan to fix this obvious flaw, since they clearly do not care about any of their native apps (because they are mostly horrible).

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
talking into your phone is so incredibly embarrasing

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

echinopsis posted:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Siri is great for setting an alarm or changing the music track while driving

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

For many things I agree, however for some things I disagree (like "set timer for 15 minutes" or "add a dozen bags of doritos to shopping list")

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh crap I need to buy doritos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah I admit it has its uses but

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Stereotype posted:

For many things I agree, however for some things I disagree (like "set timer for 15 minutes" or "add a dozen bags of doritos to shopping list")

whenever I leave the laundry room I set a reminder to go get it via Siri. but I keep my phone on silent/vibrate 24/7 and it never even vibrates- just goes about its day til I pick up my phone and it says I'm 26 minutes overdue. thanks.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

craisins posted:

whenever I leave the laundry room I set a reminder to go get it via Siri. but I keep my phone on silent/vibrate 24/7 and it never even vibrates- just goes about its day til I pick up my phone and it says I'm 26 minutes overdue. thanks.

alarms ring even if youre on silent, timers dont?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Stereotype posted:

Siri lives in my phone and she can't even bring up Uber or tell my MapMyRun app to pause.

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

mishaq posted:

apparently not? I just say "remind me to get laundry in an hour" and I never hear anything

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mishaq posted:

timers do, but reminders are flaky as hell. if you actually want to get something in 30 mins tell siri to set a timer for 30 mins, not remind you in 30 mins. this is the type of consistency you can expect from ios

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

of that

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
siri can open apps but can't close them

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

why would you close an app

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jenny Agutter posted:

timers do, but reminders are flaky as hell. if you actually want to get something in 30 mins tell siri to set a timer for 30 mins, not remind you in 30 mins. this is the type of consistency you can expect from ios

Yeah this is another annoying thing
"Remind me in 30 minutes"
"Set my timer for 30 minutes"
"Set an alarm for 30 minutes"
All do different things in different apps with differing levels of success. For that specific phrase anything but the timer is stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I told siri to remind me to bump this thread 12 hours, she did her job.

• Locked thread