Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Previous in Chikara:

- Mike Quackenbush put together a yearlong double round robin team tournament called Challenge of the Immortals. Despite being longwinded in description, it ended up working out pretty well. It gave everyone something to do and built storylines over time. Princess Kimber Lee was last in line for draft picks, made some very questionable choices (Jervis Cottonbelly and Los Ice Creams) and her team Crown & Court went a while without a single point. In the end, they turned the tide and ended up winning the finals against the dominant Wrecking Crew (Max Smashmaster, Blaster McMassive, Flex Rumblecrunch and Jaka). This gave all of them free Money in the Bank title shots.

- Oleg the Usurper was constantly hounded by his manager Sidney Bakabella to not be so active in his own team’s matches so that the Wrecking Crew could solidify their dominance a bit more. Eventually, Oleg broke free from Sidney’s hold and seemingly murdered him with his finisher Off with His Head.

- Regardless, Devastation Corporation destroyed UltraMantis Black’s legs, giving him a career-ending injury.

- Chikara has started doing their productions in-house instead of using Smart Mark Video. It started out REEEEEALLY rough, but got better over time.

- UltraMantis got his revenge by using magic to resurrect Kobald, thereby making the Batiri whole again and having them defeat the Wrecking Crew.

- NRG won the tag belts on the second attempt because they weren’t in Challenge of the Immortals and otherwise had nothing else to do.

- Kevin Condron went off the deep end. He created a stable with Volgar and Missile Assault Ant after pointing out that Volgar’s true self is Juke Joint Lucas Calhoun and that Missile Assault Ant killed a bunch of kids in Zimbabwe under the orders of former Chikara big bad Deucalion. Now he’s Missile Assault Man. After murdering Orbit Adventure Ant, Condron lost his mind and garnered a performance art diva type persona of Snowflake. I don’t get it.

- Ophidian got all huffy about the Egyptian gods not looking over him like they should, but nothing ever came of that.

- Hallowicked and Frightmare started talking and became creepy cultists for some unseen overlord. Blind Rage got roped into it too. Silver Ant was forced to be their partner in Challenge of the Immortals and was briefly under the spell until rebelling and feuding with Frightmare.

- Speaking of ants breaking free from mind-control, Soldier Ant finally came to his senses after taking a hard blow to the head from Jakob Hammermeier. Now the Colony is back together with all four members on the same page.

- Team AAA won King of Trios despite Fenix saying a dirty word. The internet fallout was pretty hilarious.

- Mike Quackenbush did this neat speech about what pro wrestling’s all about which got people saying, “He’s a total chode, but he’s on point here.”

- Jakob Hammermeier had his own weekly segment on the Chikara YouTube channel where he sat on a throne, growing more and more insane by the week, constantly talking about Garfield, yelling at a nonexistent henchman, demanding that someone on the phone transfer him to the telegraph department, and crying over Quackenbush constantly getting in his way.

- Dasher’s Dugout would have been the highest ranked team in Challenge of the Immortals, but Mr. Touchdown used a loaded kneepad to garner a bunch of wins. When Dasher got wind of this, he broke ties with his relative and forfeited all their points. Touchdown is pretty broken up about it, but hasn’t really gone full heel yet.

- Estonian Thunderfrog was reincarnated and raised as Estonian Farmerfrog. He mainly wrestled in the mid-west indies, but got lumped into Chikara late in the season. He’s become whole again after being able to lift his old magic hammer.

- AJ Styles feuded with the lucha ropes.

- Archibald Peck appeared in the ring via time travel, which he mentioned would happen back in 2011! He stole a copy of the Chikara 2015 Yearbook, read about his death and freaked out.

- After several successful title defenses, Icarus finally felt to Hallowicked. The season ended with Hallowicked retaining against Icarus and Eddie Kingston in a triple threat. Afterwards, Kimber Lee cashed in her Challenge of the Immortals win to have an impromptu title match where she made Hallowicked tap. Now Chikara has a female Grand Champion, which is a cool thing that got them some attention, but their attempts to fish for more attention has made them seem kind of desperate.

So what’s going on so far in Season 16?

- They’re about to do a new Young Lions Cup, which is overdue considering there wasn’t one for the entirety of 2015.

- Los Ice Creams are too timid to cash in their tag title shot.

- Jaka has joined the BDK.

- The Devastation Corporation has been taking their frustrations out on Oleg and Kimber Lee.

- Chuck Taylor and Nokken are now on the alumni page on the website. Strangely, Mr. Azerbaijan is on the regular roster page.

- Sidney Bakabella is active on Twitter and appears to be alive again. He’s at the very end of the alumni page (which is otherwise in alphabetical order) and his text is in gold, whatever that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I've never watched Chikara but I lurk this thread and I kind of never want to watch Chikara because there's no way it could live up to what I imagine it to be

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
The next show up for Chikara is National Pro Wrestling Day on Saturday. It's a free event in Reading, PA, but they'll be trying to raise money for Polaris Project, to combat human trafficking. It'll be going pretty much all day, given they got 14 matches on tap

The show will feature the Young Lions Cup XII tournament.

Matches on tap:
- Main Event: Princess Kimberlee vs Mickie James
- Singles Match: Dasher Hatfield vs Missile Assault Man
- Singles Match: Heidi Lovelace vs Solo Darling
- Singles Match: Mr. Touchdown vs Pinkie Sanchez
- Singles Match: Hallowicked vs Ophidian
- Excellence Pro Wrestling Showcase: Havoc & Danger Jameson vs One Night Only (Anthony Gangone & Marq Quen)
- Fighting Spirit Pro Wrestling Showcase: House of Payne (Hakim Ali, Nick Payne, Big Daddy Dre) vs Magma, Superstar WHIPLASH, Suntan Superman
- YLC XII Quarterfinal 4-Way Eliminator #1: Ashley Vox vs Prakash Sabar vs Wani vs Jeremy Leary
- YLC XII Quarterfinal 4-Way Eliminator #2: Hermit Crab vs Luke Lawson vs Warren Barksdale vs Argus
- YLC XII Quarterfinal 4-Way Eliminator #3: Ken Broadway vs Nutrious X vs Proletariat Boar of Moldova vs Delmi Exo
- YLC XII Quarterfinal 4-Way Eliminator #4: Willow Nightingale vs Mike Verna vs Estonian Thunderfrog vs Rock Lobster
- YLC XII Semifinal #1
- YLC XII Semifinal #2
- YLC XII Finals

Other Segments for NPWD:
- Chuck Taylor - Dinner For You
- Wrestle Factory Workshop - Intro to Pro Wrestling
- The debut of Scoot Tatum

EDIT: All four YLC XII Quarterfinal Eliminators have been announced.

Jay 2K Winger fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 4, 2016

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Let's post some videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOcjq4siu7A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6TzBOFVaao

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Good to see Pinkie Sanchez gettin' some burn, love that guy

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Saw both my first live wrestling event and Chikara show today at National Pro Wrestling Day and loved it. That being said, can someone explain how Chuck Taylor lost his name?
My friends, who are also new to Chikara, and I had no clue what was up with that.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Saw both my first live wrestling event and Chikara show today at National Pro Wrestling Day and loved it. That being said, can someone explain how Chuck Taylor lost his name?
My friends, who are also new to Chikara, and I had no clue what was up with that.

According to my friend, Stokely Hathaway showed up and said that "fake retirements" mean that what was yours no longer belongs to you. So he is now the new Chuck Taylor.

I love Chikara.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
"Missile Assault Ant Blew Up a Busload of Children" is the most awesome sentence of all time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

"Missile Assault Ant Blew Up a Busload of Children" is the most awesome sentence of all time.

Incorrect, but I didn't have enough room for "Missile Assault Ant Blew Up a Busload of Children in Zimbabwe."

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

According to my friend, Stokely Hathaway showed up and said that "fake retirements" mean that what was yours no longer belongs to you. So he is now the new Chuck Taylor.

I love Chikara.

And the old Chuck Taylor is now known as Scoot Tatum.

Results out of NPWD '16:

1. YLC XII 4-Way Eliminator #1 - Wani def. Ashley Vox, Prakash Sabar, Jeremy Leary to advance to the semifinals. Order of elimination: Vox (by Wani via backbreaker), Sabar (by Leary via torture rack into a knee), Leary (by Wani via corkscrew cutter)

Stokely Hathaway came out to talk Chikara and then said he was the new Chuck Taylor.

2. Singles Match - Hallowicked def. Ophidian with the Never Wake Up. Post-match, Hallowicked declared everyone must prepare for the arrival of Nazmaldun.

3. Fighting Spirit Wrestling Showcase Trios Match - Magma, Supahstar Whiplash, Suntan Superman def. House of Payne (Hakim Ali, Nick Payne, Big Daddy Dre) when Superman pinned Dre after a moonsault.

4. YLC XII 4-Way Eliminator #2 - Argus def. Officer Warren Barksdale, Luke Lawson, Hermit Crab to advance to the semifinals. Order of elimination: Lawson (by Barksdale via backslide), Barksdale (by Crab via rollup), Crab (by Argus via middle-rope belly-to-belly) Post-match, Argus was interviewed and put over the Young Lions Cup.

5. Singles Match - Heidi Lovelace def. Solo Darling with a top-rope senton.

1st Intermission. Vlad Radinov, the ring announcer, took a poll to see if anyone knew what King of Trios is. That was it.

6. YLC XII 4-Way Eliminator #3 - Nutrious X def. Delmi Exo, Ken Broadway, Proletariat Boar of Moldova to advance to the semifinals. Order of elimination: Broadway (by Boar via Gore), Exo (by Nutrious via top rope slam), Boar (by Nutrious via jacknife pin). Add Nutrious X to the "Said A Bad Word In Chikara" shitlit.

7. Singles Match - Mr. Touchdown def. Pinkie Sanchez with a spinebuster. Story of the match was Pinkie trying to make it seem like Touchdown was still adhering to his cheating ways via chicanery. Post-match, Touchdown said he misses his step-cousin-in-law Dasher Hatfield.

8. Excellence Pro Wrestling Showcase Tag Match - Havoc & Danger Jameson def. One Night Only One Time Only (Anthony Gangone Sasha Jenkins & Marq Quen) when Havoc hit Jenkins with a sit-out slam. Gangone couldn't make the show, so Jenkins replaced him.

9. YLC XII 4-Way Eliminator #4 - Estonian Thunderfrog def. Willow Nightingale, Rock Lobster, Mike Verna Man of Steel (?) to advance to the semifinals. Order of elimination: Man of Steel (by Nightingale via crossbody), Nightingale (by Lobster via modified F-5), Lobster (by Thunderfrog via Froggy Splash). No idea who "Man of Steel" is.

10. Singles Match - Missile Assault Man def. Dasher Hatfield after a waistlock roll-up and a handful of tights. Dasher had the ropes too when he was pinned. The referee, somebody named Travis, refused to restart the match, as he'd already restarted it once. Mr. Touchdown came out to protest and insist that MAM had cheated. Still didn't change the referee's call.

2nd Intermission. They held the Wrestle Factory Workshop during this intermission.

11. YLC XII Semifinal #1 - Estonian Thunderfrog def. Nutrious X with a powerbomb from the top to advance to the finals in under three minutes. Nutrious attacked Frog during his entrance.

12. YLC XII Semifinal #2 - Wani def. Argus with his corkscrew cutter to advance to the finals.

13. Singles Match - Scoot Tatum def. some jobber called Wayne with a moonsault. Tatum, as noted above, is Chuck Taylor. He had to stop himself from doing some trademark spots because he's not Chuck Taylor anymore.

14. Singles Match - Princess Kimberlee def. Mickie James with the Alligator Clutch. James kicked Kimberlee in the stomach at one point and screamed "No babies for you!"

15. YLC XII Finals - Estonian Thunderfrog def. Wani with the Froggy Splash to become the Young Lions Cup XII champion.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I left during the second intermission because my ride couldn't stay and now I'm sad that I missed Scoot Tatum

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dangerous Person posted:

I left during the second intermission because my ride couldn't stay and now I'm sad that I missed Scoot Tatum

You didn't miss much. There wasn't any excitement to his entrance; he just came out during a weird entrance where one theme song played while the ref and other opponent came out before Scoot. It was weird. Match was incredibly short.

Pretty sure they just put everything after the second intermission into turbo mode because the crowd was dying by the start of the second intermission. Way too loving long for a wrestling event. If you need two intermissions, your show is too long.

The first round YLC matches were all way too long and those dudes from Fighting Spirit looked like trash. All of them looked horribly out of shape and a lot of us in our section were holding our breath several times expecting someone to get hurt.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Those are all pretty much my thoughts on the show. On the way back we talked about how there were too many matches, having 30 minute intermissions was insane, and the showcase matches seemed kind of unnecessary. I'm mostly disappointed that I didn't get to continue my tradition of getting Chuck to sign a picture of Bryce for me.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Jay 2K Winger posted:

James kicked Kimberlee in the stomach at one point and screamed "No babies for you!"

Did this go over better or worse than when that one fellow cussed during the last KoT?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
After he said that my friend turned to me and asked if that guy knew what fed he was wrestling for. Moments later he shouted gently caress really loud.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 7, 2016

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Dangerous Person posted:

Those are all pretty much my thoughts on the show. On the way back we talked about how there were too many matches, having 30 minute intermissions was insane, and the showcase matches seemed kind of unnecessary. I'm mostly disappointed that I didn't get to continue my tradition of getting Chuck to sign a picture of Bryce for me.

I wonder if he would have refused because he's not Chuck Taylor anymore.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Wait, so Chuck Taylor did all that retirement talk on Twitter and most later-year shows in different feds in 2015 just for a gimmick change in Chikara?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Judging from his twitter posts and how he looked whenever I saw him at shows I think Chuck was in a bad place at the time and really did want to retire

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Germansimp posted:

Wait, so Chuck Taylor did all that retirement talk on Twitter and most later-year shows in different feds in 2015 just for a gimmick change in Chikara?

He had drat good reasons- he isn't achieving much with his career (especially not compared to Ricochet that he came up with), and with mounting injuries combined with no interest from WWE, TNA, Lucha Underground, or in general anyone who would pay him good money he thought it better to throw in the towel, mainly.

But yeah, he seems to have fallen into the old pro wrestling trap of saying they'll retire (with a list of good reasons), and instead never retiring ever. Hopefully he'll just stick to training and wrestling at Chikara, and you know, not losing money elsewhere.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Chuck Taylor is a cool due who is always out at merch tables ready to sell you something. Honestly the only people I see at the merch tables more were Colt Cabana and the Young Bucks.

It does suck he will never be a bigger deal because he's pretty over everywhere he goes and wildly entertaining.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wazzu posted:

He had drat good reasons- he isn't achieving much with his career (especially not compared to Ricochet that he came up with), and with mounting injuries combined with no interest from WWE, TNA, Lucha Underground, or in general anyone who would pay him good money he thought it better to throw in the towel, mainly.

But yeah, he seems to have fallen into the old pro wrestling trap of saying they'll retire (with a list of good reasons), and instead never retiring ever. Hopefully he'll just stick to training and wrestling at Chikara, and you know, not losing money elsewhere.

He didn't just come up with Ricochet, he trained him.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Quack is finally getting a smartphone.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Wazzu posted:

he's only 29, I think he still has enough time to retire young.

edit: I mean, he's been in wrestling since he was like 15 but it's not like he's in his 40s with no knees

The D in Detroit fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 8, 2016

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

he's only 29, I think he still has enough time to retire young.

edit: I mean, he's been in wrestling since he was like 15 but it's not like he's in his 40s with no knees

Chuck's a lot more banged up than you'd think for someone only 29. He wrestled a lot of 2013-2014 with a dislocated shoulder.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Supposedly Quack is at the WWE Performance Center this week as a guest trainer.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

1st match announced for February's Wrestle Factory show, "Evil Ways"

Princess Kimberlee & Oleg the Usurper vs The Devastation Corporation

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Was Kimber Lee/Mickie a good match? When it was first announced I thought that'd be a weird non-tournament main event (doubly so because I don't think the tournament was even announced by then, it was just the main event)

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

Was Kimber Lee/Mickie a good match? When it was first announced I thought that'd be a weird non-tournament main event (doubly so because I don't think the tournament was even announced by then, it was just the main event)

It was pretty good. Mickie decided to be heel halfway thru it and kicked Kimber Lee in the belly and yelled "NO BABIES FOR YOU!".

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Oh, thought the gently caress dude said that. My reading comprehension is poo poo.

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

DM Punk posted:

It was pretty good. Mickie decided to be heel halfway thru it and kicked Kimber Lee in the belly and yelled "NO BABIES FOR YOU!".

I want to see that match so bad, it sounds amazing.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

syzpid posted:

Supposedly Quack is at the WWE Performance Center this week as a guest trainer.

I hope we'll see a wrestler using the CHIKARA SPECIAL! after this.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Numero6 posted:

I hope we'll see a wrestler using the CHIKARA SPECIAL! after this.

And Baron Corbin calling it the PWG Signature.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

They announced today that Drew Gulak is one of the new trainers at the Wrestle Factory, which seems to suggest he's not going to WWE in the near future.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Jay 2K Winger posted:

They announced today that Drew Gulak is one of the new trainers at the Wrestle Factory, which seems to suggest he's not going to WWE in the near future.

I also wonder what that means for his role in CZW since he was their head trainer. I can't see him doing both jobs.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

DM Punk posted:

I also wonder what that means for his role in CZW since he was their head trainer. I can't see him doing both jobs.
CZW and Chikara used to share training facilities, I don't know if Deej is sleeping on the couch or not though.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

RealFoxy posted:

CZW and Chikara used to share training facilities, I don't know if Deej is sleeping on the couch or not though.

That was back when everything was based around the Arena though. Aren't all of CZW's facilities based in NJ nowadays?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

As far as I know Quack and Deej are not very friendly these days. Kimber Lee is now officially no longe with WSU as of last Saturday as well, so she's completely broken off tied with CZW. Although, her situation probably has nothing to do with CHIKARA.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I finally got around to watching Top Banana. I loved most of the show, but Quackenbush is unbearable doing a whole show. He beats the same talking points into the ground.

Also, this is probably a pet peeve, but I always get annoyed at the hot tag in Chikara.Someone will spend 5-10 minutes in the ring, never trying to roll out before eventually getting the tag. Then like magic everyone instantly remembers that if someone exits the ring by any means they aren't the legal person anymore and the match basically becomes a free for all again.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Yeah he handed over the "keys" of CZW Gym Wars over to Emil Jay at the turn of the year. Gulak has bookings until May on the indies at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
:siren: QUACKENBUSH ON WWE.COM ALERT!!! :siren:

• Locked thread