Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Prosperity High is just your average high school, located in the small town of Prosperity - A boomtown given life by the hope and greed of those running to the location for the gold they were sure to capture. Some did. Many didn’t. Eventually, the town began to wither. But whether because of the location, luck, or just the will of the founders and people who lived there, Prosperity...prospers on. It’s far smaller now, more of a town that is driven through then actually visited. But it does well enough.

You are the current generation of teens, trying to get through this time of your life as easily as possible. You’ve got all the normal worries about teen life - relating to your peers, making and keeping friends, trying to do all your school work, trying to have a fun time when allowed to (and when not allowed to, of course).

But like any small towns, it has it’s own secrets. Like how several of the teenagers going to the high school are actually monsters. You? Oh yeah, you’re one of them. Or maybe not quite a literal monster - maybe something else is going on. Whatever it is, there’s something about your life that sets you apart from everyone else. Even if you can’t put your finger on it.

------------------------------------------------

What This Is

This is a Monsterhearts game. You pick a skin (class), and act out some shameless teen melodrama full of sex and confusion and terrible life decisions, plus you’re a monster so you might also need to eat people or something. It’s pretty easy to pick up if you’ve played Dungeon World or Apocalypse World, or even if you haven’t -- all you need is your skin and the reference sheet (links are a bit down the page).

If you feel like signing up, write up a brief description of your character (most people like to do these in first person, in-character), fill out your character sheet and post them both here. Once you’ve posted this, I’ll ask some questions to help get a feel for the character, before making final picks.

I’m planning on taking 4-6 characters. I’m thinking of allowing a week for submissions, but if I get a whole bunch I may bring the date down. If you need more time, let me know and I’ll see what I can do. I'm usually in #swampthings (general MH chat) on SYNIRC as Heliotrope, so feel free to either PM or just tag me with a question and I'll get back to you as soon as I get on. I'd highly recommend joining the channel, as people in #swampthings are happy to help with any MH questions, and having the game group actively talking about the game in IRC is crucial to keeping games alive in my experience.

When apping, at the end of your character sheet tell me three things:

1) Something about the school or town. It can be fairly big or a minor detail.
2) A NPC in homeroom your character knows.
3) Something odd about the town that only you know.

Skins:

1) I’m only taking in Skins from the core book and Second Skins (written by Jackson Tegu). Angel, Hollow, and Serpentine are considered part of the core book.
2) The Chosen and Heir aren’t allowed for this game.

Some helpful links:

Basic Rules reference sheets

Core Skins

Angel

Hollow

Serpentine

Town Creation

The only idea of the town I have right now is that it’s small, and there’s some things to do but not really a whole lot. Beyond that? That’s where the PCs come in. Aside from the Skins themselves (Selkies means the ocean is nearby, Fae might have forests close to town, etc.) you can decide what ordinary life is like for you and by extension the town.

General Considerations:
Monsterhearts is a game that frequently involves tricky subject matter (racism, homophobia and other forms of shittiness, physical/emotional abuse), just kind of by definition. If any of you get freaked out during play, please talk to me about it. It’s important people feel safe here -- I care more about your emotional well-being than I do about this storygame topic. After doing selections, I'll be bringing up any boundaries players have to try and make sure nothing comes up before hand, but again, if at any time something makes you uncomfortable, just say so, no need to explain why. Basically, everyone's fun and well-being is important, so we'll all collectively avoid being creeps or jerks, alright?

New players are more than welcome to app - I'll be more than happy to help guide people through the character creation process. Please don't let all these :words: intimidate you - if this game looks fun to you and you've got both an idea and time, you should totally app a character!

Thanks to godfish / AdjectiveNoun / gazetter / Rauri for most of this OP.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Katie Selfield

Oh. Uhm, hello. I'm Katie Selfield.

... No, I suppose I'm not. That's what my adoptive parents called me. I... I've come here five years ago. They "found" me on the beach. I told them I didn't have any recollection of my past. ... Yeah, yeah. It's such an easy explanation, right? But hey, they believed it. They even took me in! Adopted me, as you humans called it.

Yeah, I'm not human. I'm a Selkie. I... I kind of came here because I got curious about humans and stuff. I think it's somewhat equivalent to 'running away from home' as you humans say it.

So, turns out, it's actually not that great. I mean, it's fun and all... But someone stole my blasted pelt! I mean, what the hell. You can't just do that. It's like, a part of me! And worse... I have no idea where that bloody thing is now...

quote:

There's a little cave on the coast where I first arrived on land. at first, I thought that WAS the human world. Ha. Haha. Man, I was dumb back then. It seemed pretty untouched. I don't think it's easily accessible without a pelt like mine.. or at least proper diving gear.

quote:

My, uhm.. 'big brother' Jason. He always wanted to have a younger sibling, apparently, so he was kind of thrilled when the Selfields took me in. He's... pretty nice. Been helping me a lot 're'-learning the way the human world works. Thing is... he's also the kind of person to get influenced far too much by his 'cool' friends. You know, THAT kind. That likes to embarrass their other friends (or in this case, his younger sister) to cool 'cool.

Also, I don't think he knows that I'm thrice his age...

quote:

The lake in the middle of the town. It... it feels strange. Okay, I should probably clarify this. Selkies have a sort of... elemental connection with water. We can tell how pure water is simply by touching it, and we can "commune" with it to learn it's secrets and all. This one... is really quiet, which is curious. Also, there's human corpses at the bottom. Quite a lot... which is like the only thing it told me.

quote:

The Selkie
Look: mussed, faraway eyes
Origin: enticed from the sea by art

Hot -1
Cold 2
Volatile -1
Dark 1

Moves:

Outer Skin

When you wear your pelt you look like a seal. Without it, you can swim like a human, but with it you can breathe underwater and swim like the dickens, and, if you want to, return to The Deep Kingdom. If you do return there, it’s for good, so make a new character.

 Their Word
People can steal your pelt, but never destroy it. When someone withholds your pelt and demands that you do something for them before they’ll give it back, add 1 to rolls you make in pursuit of that task. If they don’t return your pelt, take a String on them, and they'll give you another task.
Pelt Held By:

Ocean’s Breath
When you feel homesick, roll with cold. On a 10 up, choose one for the MC to detail:
- the ocean brings forth something that it thinks will make you feel better,
- the ocean takes away something that it thinks is bothering you.
On a 7-9, choose as above, but the ocean doesn’t understand the human world very well and causes serious or unexplainable damage in the process.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone,it counts as submerging yourself in water. Since all oceans tell you their secrets, gain a String on someone else they’ve had sex with.

Darkest Self
People have mistreated you and made you an outcast here. It’s time to show them how it feels to be lost at sea, to be apart from the things you have loved, to have parts of your identity stolen from you. So you will flood the Earth. You will destroy what they cherish. And you will take their pelts. You escape your Darkest Self when this place reminds you of home, or when you recognize what you came here for.

Backstory
You’ve seen someone swimming, but they either didn’t see or didn’t recognize you. Gain a String on them.

Someone stole your pelt, withholding it from you to make you their errand boy. They said they'll give it back. Each gain a String on one another, and they say the first task they've given you.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 9, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bryce Franklin, the Hollow

It's one of the classic fairy tales, the ones they tell in a thousand forms. There's an elderly couple, virtuous but poor, whose only real wish is for a child to love, and somehow that wish comes true. This time around, it was a fifty-something retired engineer, recently widowed, a man with a little money and a lot of regrets. Maybe he was virtuous enough, or something in his thoughts just hit the right cosmic wavelength, but he got his child. His miracle was left on his front porch: a beautiful baby boy, swaddled in a basket, a gift from some unknowable force in the universe. The man named the baby Bryce, after the maiden name of his dead wife, the woman that should have been the foundling's mother.

This starts like a fairy tale. It doesn't end like one.

Bryce was a good baby, the kind that sleeps a lot and cries rarely, but even the best babies need attention, and the novelty wore off fast. It only got worse as he grew and became mobile, developed a will of his own... but not as much will as his father remembered his nieces and nephews having. He started to wonder about autism, or about some birth defects the pediatrician didn't catch. That was just looking for excuses, though. The simple truth was that he didn't want this child.

Bryce was eighteen months old when he was surrendered to the state. The fairy-tale miracle child was just another entry in the system, and something about him meant he stayed that way. An aura of desperation hung about him even before his first failed foster placement, and there was always something absent in his eyes, some suggestion that there wasn't quite a full person under there.

His latest home, in Prosperity, is with a pair of empty-nesters who are trying to meet Bryce's hunger for acceptance with low expectations. They'd like him to do better, but right now, they tell him, he needs to settle in and focus on feeling safe. Some part of him -- the part that knows he should be something more than the discarded child he is -- knows this may be his last chance to be really
wanted before the system spits him out into the adult world. It's not much of a chance, but it's something, maybe.

He sure hopes so, anyway.

There's this story I tell people about how I ended up in Prosperity. My parents died. It was last summer, so I knew them pretty well, and they were nice. They were teachers. There was a car accident. The Franklins adopted me because they were old and they didn't want a little kid, and they were nice, and I was there. It's kind of a sad story, but... I like it a lot better than what really happened.

The truth is, the Franklins adopted me out of foster care. I've been a foster kid as long as I can remember, and I don't even remember my parents. They told me my dad couldn't take care of me anymore, but what does that even mean? Nothing. So I was in foster care, and it never worked out, even though I tried hard. I tried to be a good kid when my foster parents wanted a good kid, but most of the time they wanted a bad kid, a kid with problems. I don't know why. But I tried to be that kid, too, and then they sent me away.

The Franklins really are nice people, though. I think they want a good kid this time. Maybe if I try hard, they'll keep me, and I'll be someone's kid for real.

quote:

The Hollow
Look: Immaculate, desperate eyes
Origin: Product of a wish

Hot 0
Cold -1
Volatile 1
Dark 1

Moves:
A Blank Canvas
When you take an action that embodies one of the Conditions that you have, and you allow that Condition to influence your sense of self, cross it off and add 1 to your roll.

Better Than Nothing
When you gain a Condition, mark experience.

Sex Move
After having sex with someone, replace your current sex move with theirs, adding this sentence to the end of it.

Darkest Self
Your body is a prison. You don’t belong inside of it. You need to put it in harm’s way, and make it suffer, just like it’s made you suffer. There’s got to be a way to cut yourself out of it. You need to meet your makers, and hold them accountable for what they’ve done to you. To escape your Darkest Self, you must come face to face with someone who feels more trapped than you do.

Backstory
You’ve been taking your social cues from someone, and doing so has taught you a lot about them. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Someone’s seen through your invented past, and realized it’s all lies. Give them 2 Strings on you.

Near the gym, there's this flight of stairs that lead up to a little room, detached from the rest of the second floor. (I think it's called a "bonus room?" When I was in sixth grade, my foster parents had a bonus room. I lived up there.) There's nothing up there but a ton of gym mats and some exercise balls. I think maybe it's for gymnastics, but nobody's ever there? I like to go up there and exercise sometimes during lunch or study hall, when nobody's paying attention.

This girl Becky sits behind me, and she's really nice to me, and I don't know why. She brings me breakfast sometimes, and when I couldn't find a pen the other day, she gave me hers and didn't ask for it back. She asks me about my parents sometimes, which I don't like, but when I say I don't want to talk about it, she just says it's okay and we can talk when I'm ready. I think she wants something from me, but I don't know what it is, so I can't be what she wants yet.

Back when the Franklins offered to take me in, my caseworker talked to me about them, and she said that Prosperity has more foster children per capita than anywhere else in America, and most of them come in from other cities, like I did. She said it was a little strange that so many people from Prosperity wanted to take in forgotten children, but that maybe they would be a good example for the nation. I'm not sure. I guess it's nice to do, but if there's one thing I know, it's that foster parents always want something. What does Prosperity want?

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 10, 2016

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Astra Megalos, Godling
Growing up sucks,you start having to worrying about bills, taxes and all the relationships you though where rock solid take on a new form. For starters I've recently come into the knowledge that my parents are part of some cult that seeks to usher in an "Era of New Gods". I would have written if off as one my parents famous practical jokes but since a few weeks ago I've begun to feel a bloating in my mind.

The bloating was the worst when I was with my friends. I felt their every laugh, sadness and jealously like it was my own. Once it became overwhelming my three best friends knelt before me and said "We are your priesthood Queen. What is your wish?"

So apparently I'm a god now. Now to learn what I do with it.

quote:

The Queen
Look: Stunning, Calculating Eyes
Origin:First Born of the Hivemind

Hot 2
Cold 1
Volatile -1
Dark -1

Moves
The Clique
You’re at the head of the toughest, coolest, most powerful clique around. They count as a gang
They’re cultists (with dark oaths and willingness to die)

Streaming
You have a telepathic connection with your gang members. You can always hear their emotions and fears. When you try to hear specific thoughts, gaze into the abyss about it and add 1 to your roll.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, they gain the Condition one of them. While the Condition remains, they count as part of your gang.

Darkest Self
They’ve failed you. This is all their fault, and there’s no reason why you should have to suffer the consequences of their idiocy. You need to make an example out of each of them, a cruel and unwavering example. You escape your Darkest Self when you relinquish part of your power over to someone more deserving, or when you destroy an innocent person in order to prove your might.

Backstory
Name three NPCs who are members of your gang. Gain a String on each.

Grant Alvey My best friend or "High Priest" who, thankfully, does his best to try and keep his worship of me out of my sight. Overall he is an easy going guy.

May Oshiro My "bodyguard". May is pretty good boxer and won some tournaments out of town. She definitely is the most devoted to my new-found power. It makes her hard to talk to some times.

Elaine Lupei My "inquisitor" worryingly enough. Elaine has an interest in crime and sleigh of hand. I'm honestly a bit scared of her now. She seem to always be on edge.

You find someone threatening. Give them a String on you, and take two Strings on them.

In an effort to revitalize the town the mayor is throwing a video game tournament. I don't know how the she managed to get professional teams to show up but is sounds like their is going to be large scale coverage. I would love to get front row seats!

A NPC in homeroom your character knows.

Adam Bellrose, who is behind me in homeroom, is from a family of reporters. With his connections I've considered letting him in on the godhood thing to get his help in researching the cult that proclaiming me as their messiah.

Something odd about the town that only you know.

The cult that my parents are a part of is something ancient. I don't understand why I know this. When I asked my parents about how they got into this cult mess they tell me that only found it through some New Age soul-searching a few years before I was born.

JesterOfAmerica fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 7, 2016

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Virginia Wright

Hiya can I interest you in one of our leaflets? We're protesting about the City council's stupid and irresponsible plans to cut down the forest outside of town. Those trees are hundreds of years old and cutting them down should be some sort of crime. The mayor and her cronies can talk all they want about economic regeneration and an economic and jobs boost but they'd be destroying a vital part of our heritage!

Oh sorry. I'm getting a little carried away aren't I? You must be new here I don't recognise your face. I'm Virginia Wright but most people round here just call me Ginny. Why don't we grab a cup of coffee fair trade of course none of that starbucks rubbish around here, and talk about it.

You want to know a bit more about me? Well I'm flattered but surely the cause is more important than little old me. Still if it makes you happy there's a few thing you should know. first thing you should know is I'm adopted. Mom and Dad took me in when I was just a few weeks old. Apparently my biological parents had abandoned me at Prosperity General and Todd and Katie Wright decided to take me in. I'm really grateful to them. They already had one young daughter already and I know they've made some sacrifices to look after me as well. I've been lucky to have the best adopted parents anyone could want and they've never treated me any different from my step-sister.

So there's just been the four of us. While five if you count Buster the big daft family Great Dane. Dad's a Paramedic with the General hospital and mom is a Police Officer with the PPD and there's of course Sam. My sister in everything but the biological sense. There's only a few months difference between us in age and she's not only my sister she's my best friend even if we don't always agree on everything. She's the confident and popular cheerleader while I'm well the smart and outspoken one. I won't lie I'm a little bit jealous of her at times. I know it's wrong but I wish I could be that popular.

Wait. Now that I think about it I do know you! I saw you at the town meeting didn't I! You work for one of those slimy logging companies get out and while your at it tell your boss to stop sending their goons to stalk me and try and intimidate me, I know they're watching me all the time even if I can't get a proper look at them. It's no use trying to deny it! I can feel them watching me even now. So just leave before I throw you out. Don't think I won't if I have to.

Ugh can you believe the nerve of some people. I mean he seemed like a nice guy but what kind of nice guy works for people like that...

quote:

Name: Virginia "Ginny" Wright
Look: Hairstyle, Translucent eyes
Skin: The Unicorn
Origin: Survivor
People should never: hurt the environment, eat meat, support sweatshops,bully,make someone cry, be estranged from their family, swear.
A virgin is: If anything goes on below the waist you're not a virgin anymore.

Stats:

Hot: 2
Cold: -1
Volatile: 1
Dark: -1
Integrity: 0

Darkest Self:

This is it. Everything falls apart, and
you can't hold it together anymore. It's
not because everything is too much
to bear – just that you aren't good
enough. So beg their forgivenesses,
everyone you've wronged by being too
weak to help; and show them how
sorry you are, in whatever small ways
you can muster before the final curtain
falls. Don't seek their acceptance.
You don't deserve it. You escape your
Darkest Self when someone reflects to
you a glimmer of your own self worth.

Sex Move:

You have three intimacy moves:
  • When you lay your head in a virgin's lap,
    gain a point of Integrity and choose:
    -give them 1 forward to
    protecting you,
    -roll to turn them on.
  • When you kiss a non-virgin, take 1 harm.
  • When you have sex, lose all your
    Integrity.

Moves:

With Integrity

You judge your own actions harshly, holding yourself to a high moral standard. You have a fifth stat to reflect this, which starts at zero and can climb to 3. Gain a point of Integrity when
  • you take the moral highground about an issue that matters,
  • you follow through on something important that you say you'll do.
You can gain up to 1 Integrity per scene. When a move calls for you to roll with integrity, erase 1 Integrity after you roll.

Hunted

There are things that hunt you, things you often catch out of the corner of your eye. When one of them comes out into the open, choose:
  • stand up to it and award yourself a point of Integrity,
  • call out for help and anyone who comes to your rescue marks experience,
  • look directly at it and ask the MC a question about your hunters.

I Believe In You

When you believe in someone who has just done less than their best, make eye contact with them and roll with integrity (& then erase 1). On a 10 up, the roll they just made counts as a 10. • On a 7-9, add 1 to the roll they just made. When time seems to stop and fate hangs in the balance, sometimes believing in somebody is enough.

Advancements:

Your Backstory

Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.

Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

quote:

Well the forest of course. We're hoping to get it made into a national or state park because it is really beautiful. And it's almost completely untouched you can walk for miles without seeing another human being. And it's so peaceful there it's almost like a home away from home for me. About the only blemish on it is The Witches Clearing local legend has it that long ago a witch lived in the forest and did typically witchy things sour toads or turn people into milk that sort of thing. Anyway the locals burnt a big swathe of trees including the witches hut even today you can still see where the new growth hasn't quite covered it. And rumour has it if you go out on a moonless night you can see the witches ghost cursing the people who burnt her home. It's a good story to tell the tourists anyway. Though I'm not sure how much of it is true.

quote:

Robert "Spider" Johnson is in my homeroom at school. I didn't think he was the environmental type but when I told him we were putting together a campaign to fight back he was one of the first to sign up. I wish he'd contribute more at meetings though he seems to spend more time staring and doodling on his notepad than anything else. I mean when he does speak he tends to support my ideas so he can't be all that bad can he and he's surprisingly artistic he designed most of our pamphlets.

quote:

Have you ever looked at the town from above? I mean really looked at it. If you do you'll see the street plan doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I tried looking at it once and it gave me the worst headache of my life. I felt physically sick looking at it. It was just so wrong. Strange other people I've shown it too don't seem to have any problem looking at it...

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 8, 2016

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Reserving for a Werewolf.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Tatsuya 'Tatsu' Kowareta

D'ya believe in karma? Not the cliche 'what goes around yada yada' crap. Real karma. Like suffering in this life to atone for poo poo your past self did. Well I'm "living" heh, proof that that stuff is 100% genuine. I dunno what past me did to get this shtick, but man it must have been one hell of a sin. I say that cause whatever it was apparently knocked my rear end straight outta the loop, or wheel, or whatever.

Imagine tearing your bike along a road on the edge of town, bit after lunch, then BOOM sky is dark and you're lying in a ditch with a banged up bike. Clothes are torn all to hell, a couple days are just gone, and ya got asphalt all over your skin, but there's not a scratch on ya. Ya chalk the whole thing up to a freak accident and call yourself lucky, ride home and go to bed. Ya get a cool story and a new, better appreciation for the gift of life, right?

Except life don't really seem like life anymore. It's kinda like you're.... uh it's like a fog but not really and uh... poo poo it's kinda like watching someone else's home movies. Ya can tell that everything you're seeing is important and and and special and poo poo, but ya just don't care. At all. No matter how hard ya try it's like you're just stuck there, watching, ooh-ing and ahh-ing when it's appropriate, like a good little audience.

Then one day, on a whim, ya pick a fight. That's not anything unusual, except this time it's with about half the football team. It's complete and utter pandemonium. Pure chaos, brought down into a high school locker room. Oh. Ooohhh, it's like every single description of every single high ever experienced by man, but even better. Ya get your rear end kicked 12 ways from Sunday, but oh man ya could not care less, cause you gotta new goal in this hosed up half-life thing ya got going on.

quote:

The Ghoul
Look: Striking, harsh eyes
Origin: Rejected

Hot -1
Cold 1
Volatile 2
Dark -1

Moves:

The Hunger
You have a Hunger for chaos. When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

Short Rest for the Wicked
When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up fully healed.

Disaffected
When you turn someone on, roll with cold.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, add “having sex with [this person]” as an additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience

Darkest Self
You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure – at least thirty or forty minutes.

Backstory
Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

1. Something about the school or town. It can be fairly big or a minor detail.
Most of the windows in the school are locked down tight. Now ya didn't hear this from me, but the room on the 2nd floor that used to have the metal shop has a window near the back that ya can pop open if ya jiggle it just right. Got a nice sturdy tree right outside it too.

2. An NPC in homeroom your character knows.
Thomas, not Tom, not Tommy, Thomas, sits in front of me. Decent guy, 'bout the only person around I can talk bikes with. Kinda weird that a straight laced, good grades guy like him would talk to me, but hey, more power to the guy.

3. Something odd about the town that only you know.
I got real bored during detention once, and started looking through all the really old yearbooks in the library, I swear that the principal is the same one. Some years there's a beard or a mustache, and the names were different, but his face was always the same.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 9, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Might be dropping an Angel here.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
What exactly do I need to get on IRC?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

JesterOfAmerica posted:

What exactly do I need to get on IRC?

There are two big options. One of them is downloading and using an IRC client -- I like Hexchat for Windows, but there are plenty of options. Having a dedicated IRC client gives you the best overall experience, in my opinion, but there's a learning curve associated with it, like with any new program.

The other option is using webchat, which opens an IRC-client script that runs in a browser tab. Mibbit is probably the best-known option and is pretty decent, and it has the option to connect to synIRC, but if you want something even more stripped-down and hard to screw up, the synIRC network has its own dedicated webchat tool. For that one, just type in a username (you'll want to use your SA handle or something recognizable as it), use #swampthings as the channel name, and connect.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
thanks for info

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

There may or may not be a Witch here soon.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Interest post. How long do we have to apply?

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Gato posted:

Interest post. How long do we have to apply?

The OP says about a week, depending on the number of apps.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

JesterOfAmerica posted:

The OP says about a week, depending on the number of apps.

So it does. Well, there'll be an Infernal here soon.

Sophie Poe, the Infernal

Once upon a time, there was a girl called Sophie. She was very boring, and her life was very boring, and everyone she knew was boring. Then she found a magic phone, and her life changed forever…yeah, I don’t think the 21st Century’s really cut out for fairy tales. I still can’t say the words magic phone with a straight face. Which is why it’s so brilliant – it’s the perfect cover. I could go up to anyone and tell them straight up that I’m a spy for a secret government department that deals with the supernatural and they’d laugh in my face. Like you’re going to right about now… right?

It’s all true, though. One minute I’m taking a picture of some guy in a weird costume, the next I’m getting all sorts of messages and pop-ups. So I call tech support and the guy at the end explains the whole deal to me, how there’s witches and vampires and way crazier things hiding everywhere, how you can use special magic-technology to detect them. I’ll be honest, I laughed at him and hung up – wouldn’t you? But I saw on the news that evening that the guy was arrested for… something, I don’t know what. And then I tried out some of the apps on the phone (it was second-hand, I just assumed nobody had cleaned it up properly) and… yeah. Wow. Turns out magic is actually a thing! So I called up the tech support guy again, and yeah, that’s how I got this sweet gig as a spy! Just basic surveillance, some courier work - you know, dead drops and stuff - but still, it’s awesome, and it’s all for a good cause!

How did I get so lucky? Nobody cared about me before, I was like the dictionary definition of average. Taylor – that’s the tech support guy, he’s my handler – says they have ways of making sure their tools end up in the right hands, but still. You’d think it’d be somebody in a big city instead of Nowheresville, USA… anyway, I guess I’ve got to kill you now! Haha, just joking… but seriously, don’t take it too seriously, OK? Bad poo poo happens sometimes when the agency’s involved, and I don’t want you getting hurt in the crossfire…

quote:

Name: Sophie Poe
Skin: Infernal
Origin: Lackey
Appearance: Quiet, piercing eyes
Dark Power: The Agency, via their representative Taylor... right?

Stats: Hot 0, Cold -1, Volatile 1, Dark 1

Moves:
Soul Debt
Name a dark power that you owe a debt to. Choose two Bargains that it has made with you. It can hold Strings against you. Whenever it collects 5 Strings against you, trigger your Darkest Self.

Can’t Save Myself
When somebody saves you from forces too powerful for you to reckon with, they mark experience, and you gain a String on them.

Bargains:
Augmented Reality (Uncanny Voices)
You can give the dark power a String in order to realize a secret about someone you’re talking to. The owner of that character will reveal one of
their secret fears, secret desires, or secret strengths (they choose.)

Hack the Planet (Elsewise Power)
You can give the dark power a String to use a move you don’t have, just this once. This move can come from any playbook.

Sex Move
When you have sex, the dark power loses a String on you and gains a String on whoever you had sex with.

Darkest Self
You can’t get what you need, anymore. The world has left you cold and alone, shivering in the wake of your own addictions. The dark power will make some open-ended demands of you, and it’ll promise you some lucrative (and perhaps volatile) things in return. Every demand you fulfill brings you a little closer to feeling whole again, to rekindling the fire in your heart. Whenever you fulfill those demands, remove a String it holds on you. You escape your Darkest Self when the dark power has no more Strings on you, or when you agree to an even worse bargain with an even more dangerous dark power.

Backstory
You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Someone thinks they can save you. Gain a String on them.

Prosperity's got a surprisingly big, well-equipped library. Think some rich industrialist donated his book collection way back when and it sort of blew up from there. I like going there after school sometimes and leafing around in the non-fiction section - would you believe there was a book on spy tradecraft? And before I got the phone, I'd have sworn the librarian Miss Peters was a witch, but apparently not. Oh well.

James Bond sits next to me in homeroom. No, really. I don't know if his parents were cruel or just living under a rock when he was born, but yeah, everyone who's not an rear end in a top hat calls him Jim or Jimmy. He's actually a pretty cool guy, and he knows a lot of out-of-the-way places and fun stuff to do in town. It's a shame I can't share my love of spy films with him though.

There was a big plane crash just outside town in the 1970s - I heard about it from Miss Peters. That's not the odd thing, it's public record - but the public record is really weirdly vague. Nobody seems to know what kind of plane it was, how many people died, or even where it crashed. There's one photo all the old news reports used with a bunch of guys standing in a field with a few bits of wreckage, but nobody seems to know where it was taken. That is strange, right?

Gato fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 22, 2016

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Do you know what it's like to go from hopeless dweeb to smoking hottie almost overnight?

It loving rocks.

So, let me set the stage a bit. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say that I was one of the biggest losers in my class. I couldn't talk to girls without getting tongue tied. My huge glasses made me look even more like a dork. And to top it all off, puberty had given me a double whammy in a growth spurt and a horrible case of acne.

I know, I know. You're looking at me and thinking, "Wait, you were a total loser? I don't believe it. No drat way."

Now comes the interesting bit.

One Friday night, after extensive groveling (and doing all her chores for a week), I got to tag along to a party with Jenna, my older sister. Normally, she's actually pretty decent, but she's got a crush on Peter, the guy hosting the party at his parent's mansion. He's also so handsome he's got all the girls drooling over him, the star of the basketball team, and the shoe in for valedictorian of the senior class.

I know what you're thinking. A guy like that must be a conceited rear end in a top hat, right? But, no, you can't even hate Peter properly, because he's just such a great person.

It's infuriating!

But, at the party, things are actually going ok. All the drinking is going on in the woods back behind the house, and I'm having a good time. No one here really knows me since they're older, so they don't know that I'm a dork. And when people start talking to me like I'm a real person? It's easily the best night I've had in years.

Of course, that's when the cops show up. Can't let teenagers have too much fun or who knows what might happen! Anyway, everyone scatters and it's everyone for themselves. I... don't remember a lot after that. Between the drinking and what happened... well, it's a wonder I remember anything, really. First off, I got tackled by someone. They were about my size and weight but waaaay stronger. Then, I felt my neck go numb, and the rest of me followed. I must have gotten home somehow, but I don't remember the trip. The next thing I knew was waking up in my bed, blood all over my shirt from the last night. I hid them under my bed, and it was the hardest thing I ever did. I felt awful! Weak, shaky, the works. It was like the worst flu of my life or something. Mom made sure I had plenty of soup and fluids, but I just slept most of the day.

Sunday morning, though? I've never felt better in my life! I saw perfectly without my glasses. I Oh, and my acne problem? Gone. The best part is at school, though. I get people now. I'm not really sure how, but most people are open books to me. I can tell them just what they want to hear, and then they do whatever I want.

It doesn't really take a rocket scientist to figure out what happened to me. And yeah, the word "vampire" sets off all kinds of alarm bells in my head too. But, is it any crazier than what happened to me?

Didn't think so.

quote:

Cassius Phillips
The Vampire
Look: Pale, with hungry eyes
Origin: Newly Reborn

Hot 2
Cold 1
Volatile -1
Dark -1

Moves:

Hypnotic
You can hypnotize people who have no Strings on you. Roll with hot.
On a 10 up, they do exactly what you wish and have no idea that anything is wrong.
On a 7-9, the hypnosis works, but choose one:
they realize you hypnotized them;
they gently caress up your commands;
their sanity is unhinged.

Cold as Ice
When you successfully shut someone down (7 up), you may choose an extra option from the 7-9 list.

The Feeding
You feed on hot blood.
If this is the first time they’ve ever been fed upon, you both mark experience.
When you feed, choose two:
-you heal 1 harm previously suffered,
-you carry 1 forward,
-they don’t die.

Dissipate
You can walk through walls.

Sex Move
When you deny someone sexually, gain a String on them. When you have sex with someone, lose all Strings on that person.

Darkest Self
Everyone is your pawn, your plaything. You hurt them and make them vulnerable, for sport, like a cat does with a mouse.
You feed to the point of death whenever you’re alone with someone, though you take your time.
You escape your Darkest Self when you’re put in your rightful place, by someone more powerful than you.

Backstory
You’re beautiful. Gain a String on everyone.
Someone once saved your unlife. They gain 2 Strings on you.

We've got a weird tradition coming up. There's a fair where everyone has to wear a mask to attend, and the whole town turns out for it. The mask can be anything, but the only rule is that it has to cover your whole face.

Weirdest part is that no one ever sees them setting it up. It's just there one morning.

Jason? Oh yeah, of course I know Jason. He's my best friend! We'd hang out all the time when we were the bottom rungs of the social ladder of the school. I've tried to hang out some now, but he's sort of avoiding me. Whatever. He's probably just shell shocked by the sudden change, just like I was. I'll get him on board soon enough.

What, something other than the blood crazed vampire running around town? Well... how about the fact that the Coach Lyndam doesn't leave the school? I followed him around one Tuesday night after I told Mom that I was gonna sleep over at Jason's. I think he might be living out of his office in the gym, cause that's where he slept. Or, well, you know, did whatever he does at night.

...Look, I got bitten by a vampire. My mind is a lot more open about these sorts of things.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 30, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

"I come from a very powerful family," says Esther. She takes a long drag and smiles sardonically. "Ostensibly, it's based on Love and Happiness and Honor. In reality, the rule is this: you do exactly what Father says or there are consequences. One of my older brothers had the temerity to say that it might be time for Father to retire; my loving, caring Dad sent him so far away he'll never return."

She laughs. "Yeah? How did I get here, indeed. I guess could never help but push his buttons. One day enough was enough and He kicked me out of the house. I fell into this cold, dark place full of misery and suffering called Prosperity."

There's a long pause; Esther looks down. "I don't even know if I want to go home. It's bullshit. He blames me, but he made me. Who's to blame, really? It seems I don't get a say in the matter though.

The cigarette falls to the ground, still lit. Esther sighs. "Father knows best."

quote:

Esther Rosen, Forsaken Daughter
Origin: Banished from Heaven

Proud face with intense eyes.

Hot -1
Cold 1
Volatile 1
Trespass 0

Angel Moves

Cast From Heaven

You no longer have a dark stat. Instead, you have a scale, moving between Trespass and Forgiveness. It starts at 0. When asked to roll with dark, roll with Trespass instead.

Whenever you subjugate yourself to someone else’s will, move the marker toward Forgiveness. Whenever you judge and punish others without the lord’s permission, move the marker toward Trespass.

If Trespass or Forgiveness is highlighted, mark experience whenever you roll with that stat or shift the marker in that direction.

Smiting

When smiting the wicked, add 1 to your lash out physically roll and add 1 harm to any harm dealt.

Profane Powers

When you are at 3 Trespass, you are able to perform miracles: purifying poisoned water, ecstatic flight, returning to life, bi-location, and so on. At the end of any scene in which you performed miracles, reset the Trespass/Forgiveness scale to zero, and gain the Condition drained.

Sex Move

When you have sex, you are reminded of your purpose here on earth. Lose one of your Skin moves and gain a different one.

Darkest Self

You've fought so hard to distance yourself from the lord, to establish autonomy and independence. In doing so, you've unwittingly stumbled into the service of another power greater than yourself. You will carry out their will as if it were your own. Whenever possible, you'll convince yourself that you're doing this of your own volition. You escape your Darkest Self when you realize who's been tempting you down this dark path, and beg others to save you.

Backstory

The lord loves someone else more than he loves you. Naturally, a rivalry has sprung up. You gain two Strings on them, and they gain one on you.

Someone reminds you of heaven. They gain a String on you.

Prosperity is a nexus of insane fundamentalist Christians. It's small enough that they can live without being bothered by the big, evil world. It would be fine if they kept to themselves, but they can't. These crazies gather around their poorly-translated shreds of the Book and use it to justify their lovely beliefs and behavior. I never really knew my eldest brother, but I can see his handiwork here. People are wicked and self-important.

Okay, Greg, I get it. You like me. You think I'm a good girl gone bad but you have no idea what that means. Your time spent lifting heavy things, running in to other guys, and throwing balls around does not make you strong. Keep walking, moron.

I'm not the first of my kind to fall here. It's a place where reality runs thin and things aren't quite right. Maybe one of them is still around. I'll know them when I see them. Will they be friend or foe?

Zurui fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 9, 2016

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Ashton Stevenson

Prosperity is a piece of poo poo built on land so frozen and infertile the American Indians didn't want it. The only people who were dumb enough to try and farm it were a band of immigrants and debtors fresh off the boat from Europe. My family was one of the poor dumbasses who came here because everything else was poo poo. Skip forwards a few hundred years or so and we're slightly less poor now. loving fantastic, land of opportunity my rear end. Small town history is less fun when you're the assholes living in the lovely, rambling shack on the forest's edge, not the douche bag in the mansion who can claim lineage from the Mason's or some poo poo. Only piece of good inheritance I got was this belt. Nice isn't it, real wolfskin too. Old family legend is that if you wear it you turn into a wolfman. But you already knew that, didn't you? Not gonna bullshit you around, this thing does turn you into a 24 ton hulking wolf monster. Some gift from an old pagan god or something, never paid too much attention to that part of the myth. We're the real werewolves, the originals, not some dumb Hollywood bullshit. My dad was too scared to use it properly, worried that we might call down too much attention. gently caress that, I'm tired of living in a place that only has hot water if you get lucky. I'm tired off everyone in school treating me with pity and disgust. I'm gonna make a name for myself and show this lovely little town whose boss. Just you wait.

1) Something about the school or town. It can be fairly big or a minor detail.: Town Hall has records that go back to the founding, and probably beyond. The rich folks like to use it to choose suitors for their kids, mostly making sure us poors don't marry above our stature. I heard that some of the records have been sealed by the Mayor for "sensitive information". Either he's worried about some scandal or hes got something bigger to hide.

2) A NPC in homeroom your character knows.: Johnny Brust. Johnny loving Brust. Star football player, nicest kid you'll ever meet, track meet champion and a goddamn enigma. Popular despite his family just moving into town, nice to even the poor kids and in general isn't a giant poo poo head like he should be. He scares the real rich kids, even if they won't show it. Upsets their precious status quo too much, you know? Unnerves me too, kid's nicer than anyone like him should be.

3) Something odd about the town that only you know.: Found a weird shrine thing out in the forest a while back. Buncha granite standing stones around a bench and an alter. Stones have a crescent moon carved into all of them while the alter always has a few flowers on it. Makes me feel calm when I'm there, like to go there to think. Don't know if some weird Neo-Pagans have moved into town or what, but I'm grateful for it.

quote:

Name: Ashton Stevenson
Skin: The Werewolf
Look: Wiry, Fierce
Origin: Ancestral Power

Hot: 1
Cold: -1
Volatile: 2

Wolkskin Belt
When you wear your belt you look like
a wolf. Without it, you can act like
a human, but with it you can do cool wolf poo poo and eat people,
and, if you want to, run off into the woods like a weirdo. If you do that, it’s for
good, so make a new character.

Primal Dominance
When you harm someone, take a String on them

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Backstory
You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.
You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them

mcclay fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 9, 2016

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Vanessa Wu, the Witch Geomancer
She looks at you coyly, but with calculating eyes.
You could say I have a gift for the shamanic arts, but you'd be wrong. I have a loving obsession. Because it's real and it works.
Whatever you call it -energy, spirits, patterns, I've even heard "the narrative" - I study the strings that tie together our reality. And I can pull on them to change things. I perfect the feng shui in my room? I'm literally twice as likely to succeed at anything I do there. It's totally insane.
Sometimes you just gotta go with the flow, I guess. It works well enough for me to be the class witch doctor. I do fortune telling, blessings, curses, 'asian medicine', whatever people want. Even if it's all woo, I hear a lot of secrets. Just more connections.

Heliotrope posted:

Holy hell do we ship a lot of drugs through Prosperity. Like, a lot. Everyone knows it, nobody talks about it. It's lovely, but being a pitstop for drug traffickers is basically keeping the town afloat, it's about the only way we get any money into this town.
Can't be helping our karma any.

Heliotrope posted:

Damien Poe. Big frog in a small pond. Thinks he's hot poo poo, just 'cause his family's filthy rich.
Okay, yeah, so he is kind of a big deal. I don't think he could get away with actual murder, but anything else just gets swept under the rug. And he knows it.
I might be a drug dealer too, but at least my drugs are actual medicine.
Sounds like good practice for cursing, really.

Heliotrope posted:

Here's the thing, I think this town is actually cursed. Like, I'm not poo poo talking the town, the feng shui in this place is bad, and everything is slightly worse than it should be for a town like Prosperity. Like, you compare our census data, our economic indicators, hell, even the sports team, everything is like, maybe fifteen percent worse than it should be.
I don't know if it's deliberate or just some accident of feng shui, but I think it's getting worse. All I know, it's gotta go back at least as far as the 'gold rush'.

Vanessa Wu posted:

Hot -1
Cold 1
Volatile -1
Dark 2

Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others. Each sympathetic token counts as a String.
Sanctuary
You have a secret place for practising witchcraft. Add 1 to all rolls you make within this space.
Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the target’s gaze and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose
one:
*the casting does you 1 harm;
*the Hex has unexpected side effects;
*trigger your Darkest Self.
Watching
You enter a deep sleep, and begin to see the world through the eyes of the hexed. You can feel their reactions to and impressions of what they are seeing.
Illusions
Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext. The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.

Sex Move
After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and it’s cool.

Darkest Self
The time for subtlety and patience is over. You’re too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Backstory
You start the game with two sympathetic tokens. Decide whose and what they are.
One of the others caught you rummaging through their friend’s stuff, but kept quiet. They get a String on you.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 10, 2016

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
In case you didn't see, I edited the OP to include the MH general discussion channel on IRC, #swampthings. Come by if you have any questions or whatever, and it'll help when the game starts to talk in there as well.

Rockopolis posted:

WIP. Like, it's mostly done, but I've gotta rework the description.

The "pick one" for the Illusions hex means to pick one of those at the time of casting. You have all 4 options available to you.

Anyway, here are questions for most of the characters. If yours isn't on here, I haven't come up with all of them yet or am waiting for there to be more information up about them.

Katie Selfield, the Selkie

What exactly was it that got you curious enough to leave your home and explore the human world?

What's the worst aspect you've seen about humans? What's the best?

What's the biggest difference between selkies and humans? What's something they have in common?

Why did you want to leave the Deep Kingdom behind?

How does the ocean feel about you being away from the Deep Kingdom for so long?

Byrce Franklin, the Hollow

Has anyone wanted you to be something you didn't want to be? Did you still change yourself anyway?

You've been around other foster kids and their parents. In what way do your foster parents treat you differently then theirs?

How has living in Prosperity made you feel compared to the other places you've lived?

What do you think of the idea of "wishing upon a star"?

Is there something you want to be? Not because of what anyone else wants, but something that you yourself want to be. Or are you fine adapting to other people?

Astra Megalos, the Queen

How close to you were your friends before they proclaimed their allegiance to you? Has anyone noticed anything different about them?

How does it feel to have your friends willing to put aside their own lives to serve you? What about being able to go through their minds whenever you want?

Is this the first time your parent's pranks turned out to be something serious, or did they do anything odd growing up?

Have you seen or met any other cultists in Prosperity? If so, what do they think of you? If not, why do you think that is?

Do you want to be a god? What are your plans for if (or when) you ascend?

Virginia Wright, the Unicorn

Has anyone disappointed you? How did you handle it?

What's the worst case of someone from the logging company stalking you? What makes you so sure it's them anyway?

Have you ever succeeded in making someone change their ways, or does everyone ignore you no matter what you do?

Is there anything about the way your sister acts that bugs you or you wish she'd change? How does she feel about your passion for the environment?

What's your biggest moral failing?

Tatsuya 'Tatsu' Kowareta, the Ghoul

Has anyone noticed how you've changed since the accident?

How often do you give in to your urge to cause chaos? What's the worst thing you've done to satisfy it?

Do you care how pursuing this high can come off to other people, or are you fine being thought of as "weird" or "crazy"?

Are you religious? What do you think about the fact that you didn't die but came back changed so much?

What do your parents think of you?

Ester Rosen

What makes you say that Prosperity is cold, dark, and full of misery?

Where do you live right now?

When was the last time you spoke to your Father, and how did that go?

Who in this town most deserves punishment but hasn't gotten it?

Is there anyone good in Prosperity?

Ashton Stevenson

What happened to people in your family line that used the belt often?

How do you keep your dad from knowing you use the belt? Does everyone in the family know about it, or just him and you?

What are you going to do to establish your dominance in Prosperity?

Who have you hurt the most, and how bad was it?

Do you worry about losing control while being under the effects of the belt?

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Heliotrope posted:

How close to you were your friends before they proclaimed their allegiance to you? Has anyone noticed anything different about them?
We were all close; i can't remember a time where I didn't know them. I was even going to ask if they we're comfortable trying and open relationship between the four of us. I put that on the back burner after they started worshiping me. It doesn't feel like a balanced relationship with me having this power over them. The cruel joke in this is that when people notice us as a group, I'm the one that seems off to people. From what Grant's told me they have been raised with my "ascension" as a preordained outcome.

Heliotrope posted:

How does it feel to have your friends willing to put aside their own lives to serve you? What about being able to go through their minds whenever you want?
It's terrifying! What makes this worse is that they always reply with a Princess Bride-like "As You Wish"(I guess I deserve it for when making a tradition out of us getting together and watching the film for the past six years) whenever I ask them to do something in private, no matter how inconsequential. I know they love me, but I can't tell if their own emotions and they've always like ME or just as a god. I don't like to admit it but I poke around my friends heads a lot. It a big help when I'm in a test, but I found plenty of .... private moments that i can't unsee now.

Heliotrope posted:

Is this the first time your parent's pranks turned out to be something serious, or did they do anything odd growing up?
Oh god no! One time my parents filled our swimming pool with jello and almost clogged the entire town's water system. That's just my parents' most recent mis-adventure. I'm honestly surprised that we haven't been run out of Prosperity. They aren't all destructively short-sighted, once my parents random ran a humane society adoption fair. I don't recall anything especially odd but I have an enormous collection mythology stuff from around the world.

Heliotrope posted:

Have you seen or met any other cultists in Prosperity? If so, what do they think of you? If not, why do you think that is?
I have suspicions that I've seen other cultist but none of them have been a fore-coming as my friends and parents. I honestly think they are giving a wide berth because they don't know what to make of me yet. Frankly, I not that bothered by the lack of response I'm still coming into terms with how much power I have over my friends. If I had more people under me I feel like I would crack under the pressure.

Heliotrope posted:

Do you want to be a god? What are your plans for if (or when) you ascend?
I am kinda of a shamed to admit it, but yes I want to be a god. The image of me lounging in a seat surrounded by attendants for my every whim, overlooking a vast city all prostrated in devotion to me is something that excites me to an uncomfortable degree. My overall plan for the world is to make people less inhibited. I feel like if people would be happier if they stopped treating natural bodily urges as some kinda sickness from hell. My first proposed holiday is a week-long party, I still need to work out the details.

JesterOfAmerica fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 9, 2016

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Heliotrope posted:

Ashton Stevenson
What happened to people in your family line that used the belt often?
I know I have a couple great-great-great grandparents who straight up disappeared into the woods one night. I'm pretty sure that one day you turn into a full wolf time without the belt and just go into the forest. Not something I really want to happen so I try to put on the belt only when I really need to. poo poo feels good though, going from a scrawny nerd to a huge, gently caress off wolf thing. Its probably some addictive magic power bullshit, supposed to teach me about "inner power" or some dumb poo poo.

Heliotrope posted:

How do you keep your dad from knowing you use the belt? Does everyone in the family know about it, or just him and you?
[quote]
Its hard, really loving hard. I have the belt in my room but I know dad checks on it. I mostly just sneak out with it at night if I'm doing something, black fur blends into the forest real well. Haven't been caught yet, but I think dad knows that I do it. My and my siblings, three brothers and two sisters, don't know about most of it. Mom just thinks that my dad's family has a weird tradition with some old belt.

[quote="Heliotrope" post="456049625"]
What are you going to do to establish your dominance in Prosperity?
I was doing some research into werewolf poo poo and found the story of Thiess of Kaltenbrun. Old guy who claimed that he was a Hound of God, a werewolf who served God and went into Hell to fight the Devil. Not much of a Christian myself, but I know this town has some weird poo poo going on. Maybe I can superhero it up like him, fight demons and poo poo. If I do that, do enough good, maybe I can even show the world what I really am. No way a werewolf who fights loving monsters wouldn't make the national news.

Heliotrope posted:

Who have you hurt the most, and how bad was it?
I really, really don't want to loving talk about this. Won't leave me alone until I do, but if you bring it up again I'll take your loving face off. Couple years ago, right after my dad had given me the belt, I had a big crush on Betty Smith. Cute nerdy girl, glasses, mousy hair, the whole package. One of the football players was bullying her so one day I cornered him in the woods and put on the belt. I thought I was strong enough to control it but...gently caress. Betty saw it, hasn't talked to me since then. Every time I see the missing poster for the kid I feel awful, and it'll be double bad this year. Think shes in my homeroom.

Heliotrope posted:

Do you worry about losing control while being under the effects of the belt?
All the time. Its like...gently caress, I dunno. What I imagine being on Speed is like. You feel like the king of the world, thousands of years of predatory instinct crammed in with hormones, all inside a giant monster. Everything pops, the air sings with smells and noises you can't even imagine as a human. And meat, oh gently caress meat. Fresh, bloody kill tastes like nothing else. Tearing into a living thing feels better than what sex must feel like. Its hard to even get a coherent thought, much less act on your human part. I'm pretty good at controlling it now, but its still hard.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

quote:

What exactly was it that got you curious enough to leave your home and explore the human world?

There isn't really any one thing that got me curious. I mean, there's lots of things humans have that the Deep Kingdom has not! Like, art, music, technology... the internet. Oh, the internet. I still can't fully wrap my head around that one. But yeah, it's mostly that whole "entire new world" thing.

quote:

What's the worst aspect you've seen about humans? What's the best?

Pretty loaded question, don't you think? But okay, I'll try to answer honestly... well, I think the worst aspect is their selfishness, really. They often do bad things, but I don't think any of them do that to actually hurt others. Mostly, they just forget or don't understand how taking things from others can be painful. Be that personal belongings... or people. I suppose not everyone is capable of looking past themselves. As for what's the best... hmm. I suppose it's their sense of freedom. It's... refreshing. Just being able to say (and in most cases, do) what you have on your mind. It's... not like that in the Deep Kingdom at all.

quote:

What's the biggest difference between selkies and humans? What's something they have in common?

Culturally, it's actually hard to call it "differences". You see, the Deep Kingdom and humanity has been evolving alongside each other, and both sides have assimilated parts of each other. Okay, mostly it's us Selkies that took from humanity. But... we Selkies kind of got stuck in the Middle Ages. We've got a king, for one. And all these rules and laws you'd expect from a kingdom too. It's essentially become one giant court. ... full of deception, dishonesty, and backstabbing. Amongst the higher ranks, of course... Just like humanity, huh?

Biologically, there's a lot of differences. Selkies age slower... both physically and mentally. For instance, I'm 40 years old, but it's basically the same as being 16 in human years. At least that's how the Deep Kingdom calculates it. And, uh, there's this whole pelt thing but you know that already.

quote:

Why did you want to leave the Deep Kingdom behind?

The rules, the expectations... the etiquette. Oh, right, I should probably START with this one. I'm... the daughter of a Sea Knight. It's... not very different from the medieval concept of a knight back in the day, but it holds quite a lot more political power, not like it matters up here. But... It's not great being the offspring. It's... chafing. All the expectations, the way you can't really be yourself and... ugh, you can probably imagine. That, plus my general curiosity of this place, is what got me here.

quote:

How does the ocean feel about you being away from the Deep Kingdom for so long?

It's... well, sad, I suppose. Our relationship with the ocean... is kind of hard to explain. It's sort of like... an understanding, old parent, I suppose. And thankfully, it's not aligned with the king or any nobles. It just... understands. Sometimes, a youngling like me just has to... get out. It's kind of of hard to explain, but it's... almost like it always smiles upon you. Sometimes more bitterly than others. Especially when it let's someone leave it's care to explore the outside.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
I like how this old mining town is turning into giant powder keg, that could exploud on its own without any character involvement.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Heliotrope posted:

Byrce Franklin, the Hollow

Has anyone wanted you to be something you didn't want to be? Did you still change yourself anyway?

Yeah, a few times. A lot of foster parents want... well, they want a kid they don't have to see more than they have to. I guess it's for the money, or so they can say they're helping somebody, but they don't want to try. I just tried to stay out of my way, in my room or in the yard. I tried to read, and sometimes I did jumping jacks if they didn't think it was too loud.

I really thought they'd like me if I showed them I could be out of the way, like they wanted. That at least they wouldn't hate me. That I could stay. It never worked.

quote:

You've been around other foster kids and their parents. In what way do your foster parents treat you differently then theirs?

A lot of the other kids and their parents are really... optimistic. Kind of a "yeah, we're a family now, this is great!" thing? Or a "yeah, it's gonna be hard, but we're gonna work on things together until we're a family!" thing. It's like they already decided things are going to work out and they're going to fight to make them work out.

Usually, when I got placed, it was more like... "okay, you can stay a little while, we can see how this goes," but they kind of already knew it wasn't going to work out, or that they weren't going to try very hard to make it work out. The Franklins aren't quite like that, but they're letting me take the lead, not trying to get me into therapy or scouts or whatever. I think they care, but they're not pushing, and I dunno how I feel about that.

quote:

How has living in Prosperity made you feel compared to the other places you've lived?

I've never lived anywhere out in the country before. It's... weird, but kind of nice? Sometimes I go outside and end up walking into the woods, just to see what it's like to stand in the woods. There's a funny kind of feeling out there, like there's electricity in the air, but not painful electricity, just... energy?

Sometimes it makes me feel really great, like there's this whole new world for me to find. Sometimes it makes me feel cold and slow, like I'm made of modeling clay or something, something that doesn't belong out there.

quote:

What do you think of the idea of "wishing upon a star"?

It's dumb, right? It's for little kids. Everyone knows it doesn't work. But sometimes, when I'm outside, I look up and think... there has to be someone up there who can see us. It can't all be fake.

I never tried it, though. I can't think of anything to wish for that doesn't just sound dumb. Whoever's up there isn't going to hear "please just make people like me" and think I deserve it.

quote:

Is there something you want to be? Not because of what anyone else wants, but something that you yourself want to be. Or are you fine adapting to other people?

I want... I don't know. I want to work with people, I guess? Something where I meet their needs, but -- maybe something that sticks with me all the time, like a job or a role that I'm always in, just changing as I need to. I really like working out, but I've never been at the same school long enough to do sports. Maybe I could be on a sports team? Or be a coach? Maybe a personal trainer or a physical therapist or something. Something where I'd help people out and they'd be grateful.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Heliotrope posted:

Virginia Wright, the Unicorn

Has anyone disappointed you? How did you handle it?

People are disappointing they make promises they can't keep. I think there's something kind of wrong with that. I mean why promise something if you're not going to deliver on it. I've found that people will promise a lot about supporting a campaign when you ask them. But when it's a wet saturday morning in the rain they won't deliver. I guess I need to work on persuading people why this is important. Take for example one of the girls I was counting on Claire Burns She's in my biology classes and was one of my friends and I was telling her about our protests and invited her to come to our next one. She promised she'd come along. Come the next meeting no sign of her. When I asked about why she didn't come she'd said she'd had something more important to do. A breaking bad marathon with some of her friends. I had to do a double take because I couldn't believe what she was telling me. Well I'm ashamed to admit I lost my temper at her. I called her stupid and uncaring and said she need to learn what's important. She called me obsessed with something so trivial. So I hit her. I shouldn't have but I was so angry at her. I tried to apologise afterwards I didn't mean to hit her that hard. But she wouldn't have it. She doesn't even look at me when I see her now and I'm not sure I can blame her I shouldn't have done what I did.

quote:

What's the worst case of someone from the logging company stalking you? What makes you so sure it's them anyway?

Who else would it be? I mean I'm not that important in anything else. I suppose it could be someone from the mayor's office she's invested in a lot of time and effort in this logging scheme. But why would she risk a scandal like that over me. No it has to be the logging company. The worst I was coming home from a meeting feeling quite satisfied when I heard them. There were two of them at least that I heard were doing the talking. I don't know if they knew I could hear them and just didn't care or they just didn't realise I have real good hearing. But they were arguing one of them wanted to kidnap me and take me somewhere that one sounded like he'd enjoy doing that sort of thing. But the other was almost scarier. He just didn't have any emotion in his voice he just kept insisting that they had orders to follow me and that anything else could wait. He said it like someone ordering a meal in a restaurant like it was matter of fact. He even said that He wouldn't want me harmed...not till he got here himself. I don't know who they were talking about but it scared me. I tried running away from them but it seems that no matter how fast I ran they seemed to be waiting around the next corner and I could hear their voices again.... I didn't feel safe until I got home and was able to shut and lock the door behind me.

quote:

Have you ever succeeded in making someone change their ways, or does everyone ignore you no matter what you do?

Well most people are pretty set in their ways

quote:

Is there anything about the way your sister acts that bugs you or you wish she'd change? How does she feel about your passion for the environment?

Well um I'm kind of embarrassed about and a little jealous of her. See um she's pretty and all the boys like her and I think she likes them because she's always flirting with them but she always has like a couple interested in her at once like she can't choose between them or likes the attention or something. And well that's kind of wrong isn't it to play with them like that? Not that I'd know from experience sadly most of the boys won't even talk to me. Still she's quite supportive of my protests even if she does joke about it and call it a crusade. She's even come along to a few meetings with me and brought some friends as a favour. Even though I can tell she kinda thinks I'm overreacting a bit she's still willing to help me out.

quote:

What's your biggest moral failing?

My temper I guess. People think I'm kind of meek and mild and quiet at first and that I'm a bit of a wuss because I don't like using bad language. But then most of them have never seen me get passionate about a cause and well some of the things we've seen are enough to make me angry. I try to bottle up that anger and well it doesn't always work. Just ask poor Claire I was upset with her yeah but I shouldn't have hit her. I just like kind of saw red that she was mocking me and what I was fighting for.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Bit of a warning for the second one. It's got some suicidal tones.

Heliotrope posted:

Has anyone noticed how you've changed since the accident?
Some people have, yeah. Would be kinda hard not to y'know? I was never super big on 'friends' in the traditional sense, always preferred a group of loose acquaintances. But anyway, most of them have kinda kept their distance since it happened, Elliot eventually told me that it's 'cause I was uhh... how'd she put it again? Ah, yeah, "You're either a wet blanket or you're way too intense. Take some time to sort your head out." Eh, gently caress 'em. They're never gonna get it anyway.

Heliotrope posted:

How often do you give in to your urge to cause chaos? What's the worst thing you've done to satisfy it?
Hoooo man. Straight to it huh? Well alright. I try to treat it sorta like my cigs, yeah I'm definitely addicted, but I can control myself for the most part y'know? I try to keep it to once or twice a week, I don't always stick to that, but I try. It works out for me, kinda. I say kinda 'cause well, the whole thing is... well it's just plain mean. Now I know that sounds a bit crazy, but hear me out. This whole thing, from what I've figured out, works a bit like the hard stuff. Yeah, I can get a few minutes of life if I do little simple poo poo, hiding peoples stuff or whatever, y'know prank type stuff. But if I want a bigger hit, an hour or three, I need to do more than that, like a big crazy fight or setting off the sprinklers during lunch.

I only got a real big hit, days of the old normal, once. Now I never told anyone about the accident, given my reputation everyone sorta assumed that I'd just run off to the woods for a few days and I rolled with it. But a lot of people know about the second time. Yeah, I pulled a repeat. At the time everything was all wrong y'know? Just the whole situation hosed my head up something bad. I was out there, just riding that same stretch of road up and down, trying to make sense of why I was alive, why that fight made me feel normal and why that felt so drat good, when I saw it coming down the road. Big rig, one of those real old flatnose ones, the classic image.

....I faked like I was skidding out on some gravel. That truck hit my back end and sent me flying and that's the last I knew. Then someone punched me in the chest. When I could actually see again (apparently it takes a bit for your eyes to start working again, who knew?) one of the paramedics told me they hadn't been able to find any signs of life. I'd been gone for hours. Hell I've still got the little card in my wallet that has my time of death on it. Told me it was a freak miracle. Yeah right. Trucker had jackknifed it after I hit him so there were people hurt, some of them bad.

The part that sticks with me even now, is that 3 didn't make it. Can ya guess how long that "high" lasted?

Heliotrope posted:

Do you care how pursuing this high can come off to other people, or are you fine being thought of as "weird" or "crazy"?
Screw 'em for the most part. I always had a a rep as the local rebel, so weird and crazy isn't much of a change. I'm sure there's someone who's opinion about my little chase will matter to me, but hey I'll deal with that when it comes over the horizon.

Heliotrope posted:

Are you religious? What do you think about the fact that you didn't die but came back changed so much?
Would it surprise ya if I said yes? Like I said back at the start of this, karma. My family does the Buddhist thing, one of our holdovers from when we roamed the land as samurai. It wasn't like the stories I hear at school where they got forced to church on Sunday, it was just kinda there y'know? I just kinda took to it I guess. Yeah I was a rebel and got into fights and such, but I still tried, try, to be a better person in this life. I'm vegetarian, this jacket isn't even real leather, it's some fake stuff mixed with kevlar or something, I don't pick on the nerdy kids, and I pick my fights with people that are looking for one, that sorta thing.

Now I don't know what the gently caress. Am I cursed? Was I some horrible monster in a previous life, and somehow this is gonna make up for that? Is this enlightenment? I'm pretty drat sure it's not, but there's always that little doubt in the back of my mind.

Heliotrope posted:

What do your parents think of you?
Honestly? I'm not sure if they can even express a negative emotion stronger than disappointment. They've always tried to support me in what I wanted, even though they don't always approve. Now that doesn't mean I don't get punished mind ya, just that nothing they do is arbitrary, heh heh Thomas would be proud to see me usin' that right. They're good parents, even if we don't get to do much together. They both work a lot, Dad's some kind of businessman, and Mom does... something at the hospital. Pills I think.

I don't think I can ever tell them about my whole thing I've got going now. Only time I've ever seen Mom cry is after that stuff I talked about earlier. She never cries, Dad's always been the sappy one, cried tears of joy over some really good bread once if you can believe it. If they ever found out just what's happened to their boy, I think... I think it'd kill 'em.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Updated my post with the full sheet and bio

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Heliotrope posted:

In case you didn't see, I edited the OP to include the MH general discussion channel on IRC, #swampthings. Come by if you have any questions or whatever, and it'll help when the game starts to talk in there as well.

The "pick one" for the Illusions hex means to pick one of those at the time of casting. You have all 4 options available to you.
Cool. Options are always nice. I picked non-existent subtext because I figure that one would be her go to anyway, to give someone a sample of her John Nash style of crazy, seeing connections everywhere.

I added some extra description, enough that I'll call it complete. I'll add more if I think of anything good. I think I added enough hooks for something to ask about.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Esther Rosen

Questions!

What makes you say that Prosperity is cold, dark, and full of misery?

Well, compared to where I come from everywhere is that way. My home is (literally) the platonic ideal of warmth, light, and joy. That said, the wind blows colder even than that much of the year. While Prosperity doesn't have that focused sort of despair so commonly found in cities, it does serve as home to a very deep sense of existential anguish. It's as if the town is, as an entity, constantly asking itself: "What am I?"

Where do you live right now?

I live alone in a small, rickety house on the outskirts of town. Once, the house was very nice - and then the sixties happened. It's owned by some ambiguous holding company managed by a church nonprofit that has no money and one overworked volunteer managing it. I tell people the truth: that my parents live out of town and support me while I'm finishing my time here.

When was the last time you spoke to your Father, and how did that go?

I almost did it. I was there, standing in front of St. Katherine's. The huge oak doors stood ready to be swung open and I couldn't do it. I've never prayed; worshiped, yes, and sung and glorified and all that. But we don't pray the way people do: with the uncertainty that the Father can even hear you. He can. I know He can. I can't bring myself to do it. Not yet.

Who in this town most deserves punishment but hasn't gotten it?

One of the strangest parts about being here is that I've lost that Sight. I can't tell the makeup of a man's soul just by his aura. I still kept some of my instincts, though, and I can tell you this: the Mayor is one wicked man. He has sold souls - his and many others - in his years of power. The Sword of the Righteous finds all in the end; if only his justice could be hurried on.

Is there anyone good in Prosperity?

Oh, sure. There are tons of great people. Vice Principal Stratton has been fantastic in welcoming me to Prosperity. My neighbors, Mr. & Mrs. Tuttle, bring me little casseroles several times a week so that I don't have to cook. There's a cute boy who works at the QFC who always says hello to me. It burns me a little to know that even they have their secret sins.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I've finished my character's bio, though I still need to answer the starting questions.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Questions for the rest of the PCs

Sophie Poe, the Infernal

Do you talk to Taylor about anything in your life, or are your conversations limited to being about work? How does he treat you?

What kind of things has Taylor asked you to do?

What's the most dangerous situation you've been in while working for the Agency?

How does the Agency/Taylor feel about you using these powers for yourself and not in the line of work?

How well have you been able to keep working for this department a secret? What do you think will happen if someone finds out about it?

Cassius Phillips, the Vampire

Do you have any of the typical vampire weakness? Sunlight, garlic, aversion to crosses, etc.? Or has that all turned out to be untrue?

What's your relationship with your sister like? What does she think of your sudden change in personality?

Have you ever gotten someone to do something that you later regretted?

Who is someone that now pays attention to you that used to ignore you?

Have you thought about the vampire that turned you? Have you done anything to find them, or are you leaving that issue alone?

Vanessa Wu, the Witch

When did you find out you can do actual magic? What was the first magical thing you did?

What secret have you found by magically spying on someone?

What kind of people do you think deserve to have curses put on them?

What's the worst thing that's happened to someone you cursed?

How's the feng shui of the school compared to the rest of Prosperity?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Heliotrope posted:

Cassius Phillips, the Vampire

Do you have any of the typical vampire weakness? Sunlight, garlic, aversion to crosses, etc.? Or has that all turned out to be untrue?
Turns out most of that stuff is sorta true, but really exaggerated. Like, really bright sunlight hurts my eyes, and I get sunburned super easy. Garlic makes me a bit queasy, but just because it smells bad. I can go eat Italian or whatever, with only a bit of discomfort. Crosses don't do anything, actually, but the one big thing that's changed is holy water legit burns. Like, I tried to dip my finger in the font at church and felt like I was dipping my hand in a boiling pot. I played it off by pretending my hiss of pain was from stubbing my toe on said font.

It's kinda messed up, honestly. Like, does that mean I'm... like... unholy now? I mean, I'm not a bad person or anything. It doesn't seem fair!

Heliotrope posted:

What's your relationship with your sister like? What does she think of your sudden change in personality?

She's not a saint or anything. She's been more than happy to leave me behind at the house when she drives to the mall or whatever, but once she knew I was getting a lot of crap at school, she laid off actively picking on met. So, she's not a monster or anything. Just a big sister.

As for now... she's incredibly confused. Her dorky younger brother being more popular in his class than she is in hers? It's unthinkable. She knows it's something that happened at the party, but she doesn't know what really happened. I hope it stays that way.

Heliotrope posted:

Have you ever gotten someone to do something that you later regretted?
Ah, um... This is just between us, right? So, like I said, I'm super persuasive now. Guess it's like the mind control from the stories.

Well, Kyle hadn't gotten with the program and had still tried to beat me up like before. So, one day, I got fed up and told him to go take a flying leap.

Which he does. Right down the stairs. He broke both of his legs in the fall, and he's still making his way around the school in a wheelchair. I think he blames me somehow, but doesn't remember the suggestion or anything.

Least he's not being an rear end in a top hat bully anymore...

Heliotrope posted:

Who is someone that now pays attention to you that used to ignore you?
Well, I could tell you about Jake, Melody, or even Penny. AKA just a few of my new friends due to my popularity. But...Penny's kinda the weird one. She's apparently a nerd, sort of like I was. But she was stylish enough to rock the "cool nerd." Also, she's pretty hot, too. Though, I guess ignore might be a little harsh. I never saw her in any of my classes or anything. But now she's sitting around with me and the others at lunch.

...Also, apparently she lives alone in her giant house. Think it used to be some sort of overseer's place for the nearby mines, since people talk about tunnels leading to secret passages inside the house.

Heliotrope posted:

Have you thought about the vampire that turned you? Have you done anything to find them, or are you leaving that issue alone?
I sort of thought about it, but... the dude's a psycho. The yjumped me in the middle of the night and left me for dead. I don't think I wanna get chummy with that kinda guy, right?

...Actually, it could be a she, I guess. I never got a good look at them. The point still stands, though.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 18, 2016

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Heliotrope posted:

Questions for the rest of the PCs
Sophie Poe, the Infernal
Note: in case it wasn't clear, I'd like to keep it ambiguous whether Sophie is actually working for a government agency, and whether her phone actually does what it says on the tin.

quote:

Do you talk to Taylor about anything in your life, or are your conversations limited to being about work? How does he treat you?
I don't really talk directly to Taylor very much now that I've gotten into the swing of things. We communicate by text, mostly, although if the job's more complicated than usual sometimes he'll start off by calling me. He seems like an alright guy, but obviously it's hard to get a good sense of how he is. He gets a bit stress-y and keeps texting me if he thinks I'm not doing stuff fast enough, which can be a bit annoying, and one time he managed to get a message onto my TV screen. That freaked me out, and he sort of backed off. He's ok about letting me have time to myself, not least because I have to maintain my cover, but he's good at making me feel guilty for not sorting stuff out fast enough. That all sounds really negative, doesn't it? I don't know, I don't mind him, but he's my boss. You don't make friends with your boss.

I don't really talk to him about my life. I mean, I don't know how old he is exactly, but he sounds mid-20s/early 30s to me, and yeah, I'm not gonna dump high-school gossip on a grown man. That'd be weird. And the thing is, he kinda knows anyway. He plays it down, but he - the Agency - know a lot about who I'm hanging out with, where I'm going, what's up with my family et cetera. That's the age we live in, right? Snowden did his best, but people just don't care.

quote:

What kind of things has Taylor asked you to do? What's the most dangerous situation you've been in while working for the Agency?
Like I said, it's pretty basic stuff for the most part. I'm not Jason Bourne... yet. Taylor sends me pictures of people in town, I take pictures of my own with one of the magic-detector apps, send the data back to him. A couple of times he's had me sit around in coffee shops or on public benches and keep track of people coming and going. That sounds boring but it's actually pretty relaxing? And it's made me a lot more observant. A couple of times I've picked up packages for him and delivered them - sometimes to other people, sometimes just leaving them in weird places like under trees or in bushes. I've never looked in the packages, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious!

The most dangerous thing I've done so far was probably the time I bugged the police station. I'd picked up the gear from a dead drop the day before, but I still had to come up with an excuse for going in, so I told them I wanted to report that someone stole my bike. I figured I could always tell them I made a mistake and found it later, right? But I was shaking the whole time - just a little, but the lady at the desk noticed and asked if I was ok, which just made me shake even more! And when I went to plant the bug under one of the chairs in the lobby, this janitor noticed me and asked what I was doing! I think I convinced him I'd dropped my phone, but still, scary.

quote:

How does the Agency/Taylor feel about you using these powers for yourself and not in the line of work?
Powers? Oh, you mean the stuff on the phone? Honestly, he's way more cool with it than I'd have guessed. Most of it's pretty subtle stuff anyway - the augmented reality interface which lets me read people's vital signs, the anti-network security programs - but even the weirder apps, the ones that seem to directly affect my brain (how is that even possible?) don't make me, like, glow or anything. So if I want a bit of extra energy to, you know, not suck at gym class, or I want to do some really lateral thinking around a problem, something like that, it's no big deal. Some of the EM apps affect other people too, apparently, but I'm a bit more wary of using those. I don't want to push it too far. Like this one time, I turned on the sprinklers in the school, mostly to see if I could, and Taylor did not like that. He remotely disabled half the apps on the phone until I agreed to be more discreet. Which is... fair enough? I guess? I wish he could have handled it without making me feel like a 9-year-old though.

quote:

How well have you been able to keep working for this department a secret? What do you think will happen if someone finds out about it?
I think I've managed pretty well! I mean, kids these days are always on their drat phones, right? (Imagine I said that in an old person's voice.) Nobody looks twice at a teenager taking a selfie, even in the middle of the street - nobody seems to remember that there's a camera on both sides.

I mean, my parents know I'm delivering packages and stuff, that'd be hard to hide. I told them there's a website that lets you get paid a few dollars for doing odd jobs like that, and, you know, gotta pay for college somehow! They're both so bad at computers they took my word for it... I think. The best lies are the ones where it's mostly the truth, after all. And I don't think anyone at school knows, and it's not so weird that I'm more social and more popular now - plenty of kids come out of their shell about now, right?

I'm not sure what you mean by find out. I mean, I could tell anyone the entire truth, and they'd believe me, right? If I did get in trouble, Taylor would just break off contact, probably scrub the phone remotely, and all you'd have is a teenage girl who got it into her head that she was a spy. It'd be embarrassing, but, you know, I'm not going to go to jail for it. And the vampires and wizards and magic...people I'm spying on? That could be more of a risk, but it's in their interest to keep this under the radar, too. Even if one of them found out, the Agency would protect me.

Gato fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 14, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
"Mia" Leventis, The Serpentine

You don't really need to know do you? You do? Really? Fiiiiine.

-sigh-

Its for Lamia. Yeah. They aren't subtle.

You'd think with being snakes... But no. My dad is named Ophion, and my mother "Maddy" is Medusa. Then there's Grandpa Oroborous and Grandma Egle and Aunt and Uncle Ahi and Vritra and their son Atem. You get the picture. Now the worst part about them... What is the worst part about them? Is it the terrible names? No. But maybe its the stories they always go on about.

[In a tone dripping with sarcasm] "Once, here in Prosperity, we used to be Kings, we used to be Gods. They would ask us for our wisdom, beg us for our blessing, and sacrifice thousands in our name. They sent us their strongest sons to slay us and their maiden daughters to appease our wrath. Once, we took on their form and walked among them, and they housed us temples of solid gold, and we slept on beds of silk and sat in thrones of skulls."

I looked it up one day, and I'm pretty sure this place was only settled like, two hundred years ago, tops, and no one was making blood sacrifices anyone, especially not a bunch of snakes. There's no evidence of temples, golden or otherwise either. And I'm pretty sure anything like that that did exist a long time ago was down with the Aztecs? But try and point that out to them, oh no, its all about the secret human conspiracies to hide the truth of the existence of their true masters from them and blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they all believe it, but I don't. The part about us being magical snakes that take human form is true as far as it goes -I like to think of myself as a human who can take snake form- and even then its really more of a ... half snake form. But if we ever did have immense power, wealth and authority, it wasn't here.

No, that isn't the worst part either. Maybe its that they all, every one of them, Ophion, Medusa, Oroborous, Egle, Ahi, Vritra and Atem, all live in this one Queen Anne style house? That I have to see them every day and listen to their stupid ramblings? No, not that either. Or that they want to make me marry Atem? First: Eww. Second: Ewwwwwww! Third: Hell loving no we're cousins thats gross as poo poo. And he's an unlikable wart too. The snake blood is more uh... apparent in some than others, and he looks snakey. Oily skin, eyes too big, not enough nose. Picture Lord Voldemort mixed with Ted Cruz or something, but seventeen years old. Fourth: EEEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!

Yeah that's the worst bit. But since they aren't constantly pushing him on me, more just acting like its totally going to happen one day (which it WON'T) it isn't as annoying as the most annoying thing they do, which is give me all these stupid. loving. jobs. They're all supposed to be about advancing the old world order and getting the Leventis family back their old power and authority. Dad ran for mayor last year, which was actually one of the better plans, but he made me go around campaigning with him and putting up posters all around town, but they had terrible slogans and stuff that no one would ever support. I think he got like, ten votes, which means we somehow convinced four other people in town to vote for him? Maybe they just picked the last person on the ballot.

Last week Ahi wanted a book from the library, a 'rare tome of untold value' (it was How Things Work) and last summer Vritra insisted that I set fire to the Dentists Office because "they enhance the mind controlling effects of the fluoride in the water that keeps humans out from under our control" and I was just like, no, I'll get arrested. So I ended up getting grounded for a month. Mostly I do what they ask because its easier than not doing it. And don't think I don't know why Atem keeps trying to get me to bring my girl friends home for sleepovers. Even if I didn't know, and if I actually had girl friends (or any), like hell I'd do that, I want to keep them as friends, not have them scared off by the bunch of creeps that live here.

The Serpentine posted:

Name: Lamia Leventis
True Form: a forked tongue, a tail (no legs)
Human Appearance: sleek, cold eyes
Origin: a family from old wealth

Serpentine Moves
Failing Dynasty
In the age of serpents, your family was powerful and prolific. Now, they live in a shadow of their former glory. They want to regain their political clout.

Whenever you are convinced to do the bidding of a family member, carry 1 forward to doing it and that family member gains a String on you. Whenever you help your family regain some of their former glory, mark experience.

Mesmerizing
When you stare at someone without blinking, roll with Hot. On a 10 up, they freeze up until you blink or someone touches them, and they gain the Condition dazed. On a 7-9, they gain the Condition dazed.

Temptation
Your suggestions carry a preternatural power. When you convince someone to do something, they carry 1 forward to doing it, and if they succeed choose one: mark experience; gain a String on them.

Advances
@: Another Skin Move: Temptation

Stats
Hot: 2
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, they become a part of the Failing Dynasty (and subject to the move’s mechanics).

Darkest Self
You aren’t ever going to be able to reconcile the human and serpent worlds. You can’t live with the lies and insanity any longer. You need to reject one side or the other to escape this madness. Run the gently caress away, hide, return to the bosom of your serpent family or abandon them entirely for the human world. You’ll threaten, hobble or destroy anyone who tries to keep you enmeshed in contradictory obligations. You escape your Darkest Self when you submit yourself to the old obligations once more, or you shed your past life and integrate yourself into a new family.

You know about the old gold mine. Everyone knows about the old gold mine. Its on some register of historic sites or something. Prosperity Goldmine. Or whatever the hell its called. They even have tour trips into the first little bit. They've shore up the walls on the tourbit to make it all safe. But theres a back entrance off in the woods that didn't get closed off properly. Some teens found it years ago and now its the big hazing thing, or a target for a dare. Send the new kids into the mine, try and freak them out. Jimmy O'Gorman -he's a freshman on the football team- swears he saw people in there though when he went. And a few other freshman said the same thing. Weird.

Tony Beckworth sits next to me in homeroom - actually his real seat is two away from me but he switched with Susan Ivansson a few weeks ago - and likes to talk to me about stuff. Nothing really interesting or noteworthy, just stuff. Asks me about my day a lot. I never have much to say, my day is really boring all the time. Apparently he does fortune telling, he offered to do a palm reading the other day. I wasn't really interested, but I let him do a coffee grind reading (is that real?) since I'd finished my cup. Apparently I'm in for some luck, so that'll be a nice change.

Besides the secret thousand year history of rule by snakelords you mean? I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows this, though I've never heard anyone talk about it. But if you go to the top of The Hill (that's what its called, The Hill) and look out at the town, it looks like it's shaped into a perfect five pointed star. It's not, but it looks like it from up there. Weird, huh? And then if you go down to the... middle? center? Whatever, its about where the school is, and look up at The Hill, at sunset the sun seems to sink right into the hill, like its being swallowed. Really pretty effect.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 29, 2016

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Lamia "Mia" Leventis, the Serpentine

What does the rest of town think of your family? Do they get out much, or do they just rely on you?

What problems does Atem cause that you have to constantly deal with?

Which family member do you actually like? Who is the one other then Atem that you hate the most?

What's something about the way humans act that you still don't quite understand?

Have you tried to make friends? If so, how did those attempts go? If not, what's holding you back?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Heliotrope posted:

Vanessa Wu, the Witch
When did you find out you can do actual magic? What was the first magical thing you did?
When did you find out that you couldn't? The world is full of magic, if you can just see it. For me, what you call magic is just the way things are.
I've been a professional witch since, like, middle school, ever since I learned how to spell clairvoyance, but I think the first time is when someone put together one of those paper fortune-tellers and I was like, "no way, you're doing it wrong!". Of course, they didn't believe me when I told them they needed a cooties shot, and well...poor Frankie. That was horrible. Make sure you have your vaccinations.

Heliotrope posted:

What secret have you found by magically spying on someone?
Now that is a question a lot of people wonder about. I think that is probably way more important than any one secret, because it's a question that really makes people watch their step, but since you asked...
Okay, so, the quarterback and his girlfriend, the head cheerleader, are cheating on each other. Not a surprise. But it's with the same person, and neither of them knows it. I thought it was funny.
But what's really funny is that it doesn't have to be true. Don't you think so too?

Heliotrope posted:

What kind of people do you think deserve to have curses put on them?
Deserve? That's a weird question. I have been thinking about that one for a while and I can't really come up with an answer.
I think it's not really the right question to ask me, because I have no idea what you mean. Things are or aren't, they're caused or unrelated, so where is deserve?
I'd like to know what you think, and why. You have something you mean by deserve, what is it? I mean, it's important enough for you to want to ask, especially since I can lay a hex on just about anyone.

Heliotrope posted:

What's the worst thing that's happened to someone you cursed?
Uh...that would probably be Sammy Moore. She was kind of a friend of mine. Nice girl, but kind of a wallflower. Being the local fire and brimstone's daughter can do that.
Anyway, the preacher finds out his daughter's making nice with one of the pagans, so she comes to school one Friday, with a black eye, telling me how she can't be friends with me anymore. So I curse him. Family members are actually amazingly good sending curses, you've got your pick of connections to send the curse along.
So, I come in on Monday, but Sammy doesn't. 'cause she's dead, along with the rest of her family and a few other people unlucky enough to run into Preacher Moore while he's screaming about daemons.
So yeah, next question.

Heliotrope posted:

How's the feng shui of the school compared to the rest of Prosperity?
Complicated. It's chaotic and unpredictable. In some ways it's scarier than the town. The town is smothering, full of negative energy, but it's still predictable. I can plan around it. But the school is wild and unpredictable, which is...honestly, it's terrifying.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Heliotrope posted:

Lamia "Mia" Leventis, the Serpentine
What does the rest of town think of your family? Do they get out much, or do they just rely on you?

Out of everyone else Mom probably has the best reputation in town, she does the shopping so she actually gets out and talks to people regularly. I think she attends a knitting circle or something too? Or was a it a book club? But that's why she has a normal nickname like me, because she picked up over time that going around as Medusa would get you some weird looks. We don't really get visitors though, because Grandpa likes to sit on a rocking chair on the porch with his shotgun and his pipe to scare away 'hatching human riffraff' -I think this might have actually been normal when he was a kid? but it isn't now.

So most people -at least as far as I can hear- just think the Leventis family is a bunch of stuck up weirdos who don't like other people and live on their big house on their big lawn and never talk to other people. There are probably worse rumors going around -this is a small town- but they don't say them in front of me. Most kids seem to think the house is either haunted or just sort of creepy, in elementary school just going up to the fence was a big dare, and in middle school stepping onto the lawn was like, the biggest dare you could do. Seems to have died off a bit in highschool. Aside from Grandpa sitting on the porch, Grandma stays inside all the time, she doesn't look very human anymore - she can pass in a dim light, which is why she stays in, otherwise you can sort of see the scales. Mom, Dad, Aunt and Uncle all go out, but just for work. Mom's the only one who really knows anyone aside from that.

Heliotrope posted:

What problems does Atem cause that you have to constantly deal with?

What problems doesn't he cause? Well for one he does the stupider of my families jobs - they send him out for them too - so they're always a lot happier with him, 'oh why can't you be more like Atem' blah blah blah. When I say stupider things, I mean the ones that actively hurt their efforts. Remember I mentioned Dad running for mayor. So like, he still wouldn't have won, but I think he would have gotten a lot more votes if Atem hadn't handed out leaflets stating that Dad would be passing laws that would prevent airplanes from flying over the town to save us from their chemtrails. But basically, he does everything they tell him to do, which makes me look even worse when I refuse to do something, or change it to be something actually useful.

Other things: He always trys to wave me over to sit next to him at lunch or tries to hang out wherever I am, like at the smoking hangout behind the shed even though he doesn't smoke. Like, I think he's trying to court me or something, like you see in movies, and he doesn't seem to get that there is no way in hell anything is ever happening. And to make it worse he has these two greaseball friends of his, who follow him around and slime on other girls and try to act like wingmen for him or something? I don't even know how he got friends because as far as I can tell literally no one else in the school likes him, but I guess they're kindred slime-spirits or something and they gravitated to their natural slimeeking. Maybe Dad is right and we did used to rule the world, it was just made up of oily creeps like them instead of normal people. But basically no one ever wants to mess with them, because they're so scuzzy. And he and his two friends keep hitting on girls in really gross ways, and they keep coming to ask me to stop him from doing it, and its not like I can do anything about that! But it makes my reputation even worse!

Heliotrope posted:

Which family member do you actually like? Who is the one other then Atem that you hate the most?
Who do I let the best... Probably Grandpa. He's weird, and has the most stories about our glory days, but he also has a lot of stories that aren't about 'us'. He served in World War II, fighting in Germany, and he has a lot of interesting war stories. I don't know how true any of those are either, but they're more believable and a lot more interesting than the stuff they all say about the Leventis family in days gone by. When I was younger he used to sit me on his knee out on the porch next to his shotgun, and tell me stories, and let me try to smoke with his pipe. Probably why I smoke now.

Hate is a bit of a strong word, I don't hate - okay, yeah, I definitely do. Besides him it'd easily have to be Aunt Vritra. She's - ugh - I guess she's from like, a side branch of the family? There don't seem to be anymore left so I'm not sure on that. But I think she's jealous of me being the favored child -genetically anyway- over Atem, even though he's definitely the favored one as far as popularity in the family goes. And she's always pushing and pushing the marriage and talking about how its my duty as the one with who the blood has run the truest in generations (Apparently my true form is the closest to the old Leventis rulers'? And I actually look like a human perfectly when I want to, instead of everyone else who has flaws here and there. Atem has snake eyes, which is why he wears contacts and sunglasses all the time) and blah blah whatever.

Heliotrope posted:

What's something about the way humans act that you still don't quite understand?

Have you tried to make friends? If so, how did those attempts go? If not, what's holding you back?

You hit on it, didn't you? Whenever I'd think I'd figured it out, something new would jump up and show me I was missing something big. Like friends. Right, I get the concept. Person you like, you hang out with, to make your life more enjoyable. But how do you 'make friends'? It looks like people just one day decide "yes this person is the one with whom I will spend time with" and that other people decides the same thing at the same time and then they just do it. Well that doesn't work!! I've tried it. Just hanging out with someone, talking to them and 'enjoying' the same things. I just got weird looks and they'd avoid me. Or I'd hear them making fun of something I said to other people (I have good hearing) even though I'd just said things I'd heard loads of other people say to their friends! I don't get it!!

And then I finally thought I'd figured it out, and had a 'friend' or at least someone who seemed to willingly come hang around with me at lunch and at recess and would pick to be on my group for projects, and then middle school started, and suddenly he stopped spending time with me. And whenever I tried it again with other guys I got weird looks again and people would talk about cooties and stuff. Eventually I figured out guys and girls aren't allowed to be friends, which, okay sure. But then in high school everyone is basically spending all the time trying to be friends with people of the other gender. Right, thats the big thing.

Other thing I don't get, well there are plenty. But the big one right now, is cell phones. I have one. Its good for calling people -if I had anyone to call- and communicating. The calendar and clock and alarm features are really nice too! But people are always on it, and playing games. And they can't go any time without it. I don't get it! Its way more interesting to read a book or just think about things, than it is to play the games where you just like... plant crops or make a tiny little tower get taller or add more 'animals' to your 'zoo'. As far as I can tell they exist just to stop people from having to think. Sometimes it makes me think that Dad is right that if humans thought more we'd be able to take over their minds again or something.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Picks are in:

Tatsuya "Tatsu" Kowareta, the Ghoul, played by ShootaBoy
Lamia "Mia" Leventis, the Serpentine, played by Godfish
Cassius Phillips, the Vampire, played by Capfalcon
Sophie Poe, the Infernal, played by Gato
Virginia "Ginny" Wright, the Unicorn, played by Ferrosal

I want to thank everyone who was interested enough to submit a character. They're all really good, and I had a hard time choosing which characters to accept.

For those of you that are in, figure out your backgrounds. Once that's done we'll do homeroom seating, highlights, and then I'll have the thread up.

edit: String sheet up, feel free to pick your own colors and whatnot.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

My two backstories up for grabs. Come and get them. When I've read everyone elses backgrounds I'll make suggestions.

quote:

Someone is thinking about taking something from you - discuss with them and decide what it is. You each get a String on one another.

I do a lot of work on our campaigns at lunch while I'm eating. Vegetarian food of course. That's when I noticed her Sophie she was watching me oddly. I saw her glance from me to the notes I was taking. And when I got up to take my plates back. I came back and she was there looking at my notes! I think she's some sort of spy you know. For one of the logging companies. Maybe they figured I wouldn't suspect her. But I swear if I find her near one of my notes again I'll slap her into the middle of next week.

quote:

Someone's in love with you and has told you about their feelings. Gain 2 Strings on them.

For a while there it seemed like everywhere I turned he was stood there watching me. Tatsu I mean I kind of knew him from homeroom but that was it we weren't like friends or anything. I didn't know what to make of it. See he used to be a bit of a rebel till he had that accident since then he's changed. I heard he beat up half the football team. That he's been acting like he had some sort of deathwish. And then there he was. I finally worked up the courage to ask him what he wanted. And what he said shocked me. He said he wanted me that he loved me.

I didn't know what to say I blushed and said something although I couldn't tell you what it was. And I ran. I don't want him I don't want anyone to do that with me do I? Since then he's backed off a little but he's always there always watching. And god help me but I'm starting to enjoy it. The watching that is. I've started to think what if he wanted to do more than watch. What would I say? What would I do? the whole things just so confusing.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 17, 2016

• Locked thread