Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
"Mia" Leventis, The Serpentine

You don't really need to know do you? You do? Really? Fiiiiine.

-sigh-

Its for Lamia. Yeah. They aren't subtle.

You'd think with being snakes... But no. My dad is named Ophion, and my mother "Maddy" is Medusa. Then there's Grandpa Oroborous and Grandma Egle and Aunt and Uncle Ahi and Vritra and their son Atem. You get the picture. Now the worst part about them... What is the worst part about them? Is it the terrible names? No. But maybe its the stories they always go on about.

[In a tone dripping with sarcasm] "Once, here in Prosperity, we used to be Kings, we used to be Gods. They would ask us for our wisdom, beg us for our blessing, and sacrifice thousands in our name. They sent us their strongest sons to slay us and their maiden daughters to appease our wrath. Once, we took on their form and walked among them, and they housed us temples of solid gold, and we slept on beds of silk and sat in thrones of skulls."

I looked it up one day, and I'm pretty sure this place was only settled like, two hundred years ago, tops, and no one was making blood sacrifices anyone, especially not a bunch of snakes. There's no evidence of temples, golden or otherwise either. And I'm pretty sure anything like that that did exist a long time ago was down with the Aztecs? But try and point that out to them, oh no, its all about the secret human conspiracies to hide the truth of the existence of their true masters from them and blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they all believe it, but I don't. The part about us being magical snakes that take human form is true as far as it goes -I like to think of myself as a human who can take snake form- and even then its really more of a ... half snake form. But if we ever did have immense power, wealth and authority, it wasn't here.

No, that isn't the worst part either. Maybe its that they all, every one of them, Ophion, Medusa, Oroborous, Egle, Ahi, Vritra and Atem, all live in this one Queen Anne style house? That I have to see them every day and listen to their stupid ramblings? No, not that either. Or that they want to make me marry Atem? First: Eww. Second: Ewwwwwww! Third: Hell loving no we're cousins thats gross as poo poo. And he's an unlikable wart too. The snake blood is more uh... apparent in some than others, and he looks snakey. Oily skin, eyes too big, not enough nose. Picture Lord Voldemort mixed with Ted Cruz or something, but seventeen years old. Fourth: EEEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!

Yeah that's the worst bit. But since they aren't constantly pushing him on me, more just acting like its totally going to happen one day (which it WON'T) it isn't as annoying as the most annoying thing they do, which is give me all these stupid. loving. jobs. They're all supposed to be about advancing the old world order and getting the Leventis family back their old power and authority. Dad ran for mayor last year, which was actually one of the better plans, but he made me go around campaigning with him and putting up posters all around town, but they had terrible slogans and stuff that no one would ever support. I think he got like, ten votes, which means we somehow convinced four other people in town to vote for him? Maybe they just picked the last person on the ballot.

Last week Ahi wanted a book from the library, a 'rare tome of untold value' (it was How Things Work) and last summer Vritra insisted that I set fire to the Dentists Office because "they enhance the mind controlling effects of the fluoride in the water that keeps humans out from under our control" and I was just like, no, I'll get arrested. So I ended up getting grounded for a month. Mostly I do what they ask because its easier than not doing it. And don't think I don't know why Atem keeps trying to get me to bring my girl friends home for sleepovers. Even if I didn't know, and if I actually had girl friends (or any), like hell I'd do that, I want to keep them as friends, not have them scared off by the bunch of creeps that live here.

The Serpentine posted:

Name: Lamia Leventis
True Form: a forked tongue, a tail (no legs)
Human Appearance: sleek, cold eyes
Origin: a family from old wealth

Serpentine Moves
Failing Dynasty
In the age of serpents, your family was powerful and prolific. Now, they live in a shadow of their former glory. They want to regain their political clout.

Whenever you are convinced to do the bidding of a family member, carry 1 forward to doing it and that family member gains a String on you. Whenever you help your family regain some of their former glory, mark experience.

Mesmerizing
When you stare at someone without blinking, roll with Hot. On a 10 up, they freeze up until you blink or someone touches them, and they gain the Condition dazed. On a 7-9, they gain the Condition dazed.

Temptation
Your suggestions carry a preternatural power. When you convince someone to do something, they carry 1 forward to doing it, and if they succeed choose one: mark experience; gain a String on them.

Advances
@: Another Skin Move: Temptation

Stats
Hot: 2
Cold: 1
Volatile: -1
Dark: -1

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, they become a part of the Failing Dynasty (and subject to the move’s mechanics).

Darkest Self
You aren’t ever going to be able to reconcile the human and serpent worlds. You can’t live with the lies and insanity any longer. You need to reject one side or the other to escape this madness. Run the gently caress away, hide, return to the bosom of your serpent family or abandon them entirely for the human world. You’ll threaten, hobble or destroy anyone who tries to keep you enmeshed in contradictory obligations. You escape your Darkest Self when you submit yourself to the old obligations once more, or you shed your past life and integrate yourself into a new family.

1) Something about the school or town. It can be fairly big or a minor detail.
You know about the old gold mine. Everyone knows about the old gold mine. Its on some register of historic sites or something. Prosperity Goldmine. Or whatever the hell its called. They even have tour trips into the first little bit. They've shore up the walls on the tourbit to make it all safe. But theres a back entrance off in the woods that didn't get closed off properly. Some teens found it years ago and now its the big hazing thing, or a target for a dare. Send the new kids into the mine, try and freak them out. Jimmy O'Gorman -he's a freshman on the football team- swears he saw people in there though when he went. And a few other freshman said the same thing. Weird.

2) A NPC in homeroom your character knows.
Tony Beckworth sits next to me in homeroom - actually his real seat is two away from me but he switched with Susan Ivansson a few weeks ago - and likes to talk to me about stuff. Nothing really interesting or noteworthy, just stuff. Asks me about my day a lot. I never have much to say, my day is really boring all the time. Apparently he does fortune telling, he offered to do a palm reading the other day. I wasn't really interested, but I let him do a coffee grind reading (is that real?) since I'd finished my cup. Apparently I'm in for some luck, so that'll be a nice change.

3) Something odd about the town that only you know.
Besides the secret thousand year history of rule by snakelords you mean? I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows this, though I've never heard anyone talk about it. But if you go to the top of The Hill (that's what its called, The Hill) and look out at the town, it looks like it's shaped into a perfect five pointed star. It's not, but it looks like it from up there. Weird, huh? And then if you go down to the... middle? center? Whatever, its about where the school is, and look up at The Hill, at sunset the sun seems to sink right into the hill, like its being swallowed. Really pretty effect.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Heliotrope posted:

Lamia "Mia" Leventis, the Serpentine
What does the rest of town think of your family? Do they get out much, or do they just rely on you?

Out of everyone else Mom probably has the best reputation in town, she does the shopping so she actually gets out and talks to people regularly. I think she attends a knitting circle or something too? Or was a it a book club? But that's why she has a normal nickname like me, because she picked up over time that going around as Medusa would get you some weird looks. We don't really get visitors though, because Grandpa likes to sit on a rocking chair on the porch with his shotgun and his pipe to scare away 'hatching human riffraff' -I think this might have actually been normal when he was a kid? but it isn't now.

So most people -at least as far as I can hear- just think the Leventis family is a bunch of stuck up weirdos who don't like other people and live on their big house on their big lawn and never talk to other people. There are probably worse rumors going around -this is a small town- but they don't say them in front of me. Most kids seem to think the house is either haunted or just sort of creepy, in elementary school just going up to the fence was a big dare, and in middle school stepping onto the lawn was like, the biggest dare you could do. Seems to have died off a bit in highschool. Aside from Grandpa sitting on the porch, Grandma stays inside all the time, she doesn't look very human anymore - she can pass in a dim light, which is why she stays in, otherwise you can sort of see the scales. Mom, Dad, Aunt and Uncle all go out, but just for work. Mom's the only one who really knows anyone aside from that.

Heliotrope posted:

What problems does Atem cause that you have to constantly deal with?

What problems doesn't he cause? Well for one he does the stupider of my families jobs - they send him out for them too - so they're always a lot happier with him, 'oh why can't you be more like Atem' blah blah blah. When I say stupider things, I mean the ones that actively hurt their efforts. Remember I mentioned Dad running for mayor. So like, he still wouldn't have won, but I think he would have gotten a lot more votes if Atem hadn't handed out leaflets stating that Dad would be passing laws that would prevent airplanes from flying over the town to save us from their chemtrails. But basically, he does everything they tell him to do, which makes me look even worse when I refuse to do something, or change it to be something actually useful.

Other things: He always trys to wave me over to sit next to him at lunch or tries to hang out wherever I am, like at the smoking hangout behind the shed even though he doesn't smoke. Like, I think he's trying to court me or something, like you see in movies, and he doesn't seem to get that there is no way in hell anything is ever happening. And to make it worse he has these two greaseball friends of his, who follow him around and slime on other girls and try to act like wingmen for him or something? I don't even know how he got friends because as far as I can tell literally no one else in the school likes him, but I guess they're kindred slime-spirits or something and they gravitated to their natural slimeeking. Maybe Dad is right and we did used to rule the world, it was just made up of oily creeps like them instead of normal people. But basically no one ever wants to mess with them, because they're so scuzzy. And he and his two friends keep hitting on girls in really gross ways, and they keep coming to ask me to stop him from doing it, and its not like I can do anything about that! But it makes my reputation even worse!

Heliotrope posted:

Which family member do you actually like? Who is the one other then Atem that you hate the most?
Who do I let the best... Probably Grandpa. He's weird, and has the most stories about our glory days, but he also has a lot of stories that aren't about 'us'. He served in World War II, fighting in Germany, and he has a lot of interesting war stories. I don't know how true any of those are either, but they're more believable and a lot more interesting than the stuff they all say about the Leventis family in days gone by. When I was younger he used to sit me on his knee out on the porch next to his shotgun, and tell me stories, and let me try to smoke with his pipe. Probably why I smoke now.

Hate is a bit of a strong word, I don't hate - okay, yeah, I definitely do. Besides him it'd easily have to be Aunt Vritra. She's - ugh - I guess she's from like, a side branch of the family? There don't seem to be anymore left so I'm not sure on that. But I think she's jealous of me being the favored child -genetically anyway- over Atem, even though he's definitely the favored one as far as popularity in the family goes. And she's always pushing and pushing the marriage and talking about how its my duty as the one with who the blood has run the truest in generations (Apparently my true form is the closest to the old Leventis rulers'? And I actually look like a human perfectly when I want to, instead of everyone else who has flaws here and there. Atem has snake eyes, which is why he wears contacts and sunglasses all the time) and blah blah whatever.

Heliotrope posted:

What's something about the way humans act that you still don't quite understand?

Have you tried to make friends? If so, how did those attempts go? If not, what's holding you back?

You hit on it, didn't you? Whenever I'd think I'd figured it out, something new would jump up and show me I was missing something big. Like friends. Right, I get the concept. Person you like, you hang out with, to make your life more enjoyable. But how do you 'make friends'? It looks like people just one day decide "yes this person is the one with whom I will spend time with" and that other people decides the same thing at the same time and then they just do it. Well that doesn't work!! I've tried it. Just hanging out with someone, talking to them and 'enjoying' the same things. I just got weird looks and they'd avoid me. Or I'd hear them making fun of something I said to other people (I have good hearing) even though I'd just said things I'd heard loads of other people say to their friends! I don't get it!!

And then I finally thought I'd figured it out, and had a 'friend' or at least someone who seemed to willingly come hang around with me at lunch and at recess and would pick to be on my group for projects, and then middle school started, and suddenly he stopped spending time with me. And whenever I tried it again with other guys I got weird looks again and people would talk about cooties and stuff. Eventually I figured out guys and girls aren't allowed to be friends, which, okay sure. But then in high school everyone is basically spending all the time trying to be friends with people of the other gender. Right, thats the big thing.

Other thing I don't get, well there are plenty. But the big one right now, is cell phones. I have one. Its good for calling people -if I had anyone to call- and communicating. The calendar and clock and alarm features are really nice too! But people are always on it, and playing games. And they can't go any time without it. I don't get it! Its way more interesting to read a book or just think about things, than it is to play the games where you just like... plant crops or make a tiny little tower get taller or add more 'animals' to your 'zoo'. As far as I can tell they exist just to stop people from having to think. Sometimes it makes me think that Dad is right that if humans thought more we'd be able to take over their minds again or something.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

quote:

You’ve been watching someone, trying to learn from them what it means to be human. Gain two Strings on them.
Thinking Sophie or Tatsu for maximum improper lessons. Thoughts?

quote:

Your family seeks to control your every move. The head of your family gains two Strings on you.
Grandpa Oroborous gets this one.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

quote:

You’ve been watching someone, trying to learn from them what it means to be human. Gain two Strings on them.

I've been watching Cassius a lot. He went from being a loser to like, the most popular guy in school. I don't get how he did it, but there has to be some clue there, doesn't there? If I can find out his trick, maybe I can be popular too. And have a lot of friends.

I like looking at him too. Just sort of feels nice. Is that weird? It's probably weird. Sorry. Did I before though? I don't know.

ShootaBoy posted:

Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

Tatsu... Everyone knows about the accident with the truck and his miraculous recovery. But I don't think anyone but me knows about the first one. Or... the first one as far as I know. It was at the edge of town, I was out there... well if you must know I was carving some runes into the bark of a tree. Had to do a circle of them around town for some reason. Anyway, I'd finished the last one and was walking back when I saw him laying there by the side of the road. His body was twisted around like a rag doll, or roadkill. I froze, staring at him, for what might have been a minute or an hour. Wasn't sure what I should do.

My phone had died ages ago, so I couldn't call an ambulance. Would my family tell me off if I didn't bring is body back for some ritual? But then he twitched. I'd thought he was dead for sure, but I was pretty far away. Didn't like to get close, what if someone came by and thought I killed him? But he twitched.

And then he started picking himself up. Slowly. Unbending his arms and stuff like someone waking up after sleeping in a really uncomfortable position. Very slowly. Then he got on his bike and drove off like nothing had happened. All I could figure was he'd passed out from the impact or something but not hurt himself otherwise. When he woke up he was fine. That seems like something that could happen, right? But then I heard about his truck accident. Can you really be that lucky twice? ...I don't know what to make of that.

Gato posted:

You owe debts. Give away 3 Strings, divided any way you like between the dark power and the other characters.

Sophie sits next to me in class. She seems pretty shy, always on her phone. One day during class I noticed she was always writing the answers down right after I did. Some careful glances and I realized she was looking at my paper out of the corner of her eye. So I sort of slid my paper over to the side of the desk nearer to her and wrote a little bigger. Maybe she'll be my friend? That's what friends do, right? Help each other out?

GodFish fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 21, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
pre:
[]    [Ginny] []       [Thomas] [Lily]
[Jim] [Mia]   [Sophie] [Tatsu]  [Spider]
[]    [Tony]  [Sam]    [Susan]  [Elliot]
Tony Beckworth: Swapped seats with Susan to sit next to Mia. Has at least a small crush on her that she is completely unaware of. Does fortune telling.

Susan Ivarsson: One of the cool kids who hangs out with Sam. On the cheer team, preppy.

I moved Sam one to the right so I could fit Mia next to Sophie as established and Tony next to Mia. Sam remained in the back as per her thing, hope that's fine with you Ferrosol

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Cassius your new Hotness is confusing to Mia.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Oh, thanks! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
spending my advance on Temptation.

• Locked thread