Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

And here I thought we had trolley problem long figured out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_RZJUAQY4

Does anyone want to read Bad Blood (free)? I just finished it and figured I'd keep passing it along. Send me a PM or post in the thread and we can figure out how I can media mail this over your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Lime is apparently yanking all of its bikes from my city (lasted all of 7 months) and wants to replace them with scooters, which the city doesn't allow and doesn't plan to. So everyone's back to stealing Google bikes and throwing them in the creek when done.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

I'm seeing -$700M on $2.2B revenue vs Uber losing about a $800M-billion per quarter I think (on about $3B revenue? Everybody's got different numbers)

I think Uber keeps aggressively expanding into other money pits (eats, freight, drone transportation :lol:, health, bikes) while Lyft is still exclusively ride sharing.

I just got a county-wide survey with a question about a ride sharing tax to fund public transportation, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them both continually needled about their increase in congestion and crashes/injuries/deaths going forward.

BeeSeeBee fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Mar 2, 2019

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

withak posted:

Has anyone proposed a robot-based delivery service where the robots are outsourced so the tech company can unload the risk related to having their property roaming the streets unattended? Like where you or I "invest" in the purchase of a delivery robot (helpfully financed by the delivery company if necessary) and then we connect it to their service and take a cut of the delivery fee. We would be responsible for maintenance of the robot of course and liable for any problems the robot might cause.

This seems too obvious to have been missed unless the robot technology isn't there yet.

Tesla is working on it, appreciating cars I tell you!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I would rob that burrito robot just on principal.

Yeah, I don't really have a need to steal one of the scooters lying around, but I'd 100% be riding around looking for food to pilfer from these dumb robots.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

luxury handset posted:

i'm trying to wrap my head around the 'pizza cooked in a robot oven en-route' idea and it seems to have so many obvious flaws that can't be engineered away

what happens if you get stuck in traffic or behind some obstacle once you cross the 'cook now' geofence?

how do you ensure the oven is maintaining correct temp, in the case that the oven is heating unevenly?

how much fuel do you need to haul around to heat the ovens?

like, it makes more sense (but is still kinda weird) to just park a pizza truck in a central location and deliver from there, plus then you can also offer pizza to passers by, in the instance that you want to do mobile pizza cooking

likewise, what advantage does 'hand made pizza cooked by a robot in a delivery van' have over 'frozen pizza cooked in my own oven'? the latter case is equal in terms of price and quality and superior in terms of delivery time. this reminds me of the burger robot in the same realm of "neat gimmick, but why?"

I've only ever seen their food truck sized vehicles parked and cooking with cones around them. The deliveries seem to be done in Fiat 500s, so I'm not even sure how it's anything other than a pizza food truck you can't order from directly (and the few other pizza food trucks I've seen usually have some novel wood fired oven thing installed, which this doesn't).

I think they also pre make some portion of the pizzas (crust + sauce?) at their Mountain View HQ and then add toppings in the truck when they bake it, maybe? My roommate ordered it once and I passed on a piece from the appearance alone.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

luxury handset posted:

to get robots mixed up enough in the process to attract fundcking?

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm seeing a future with rear mounted projectors used by criminals to make projections of cars or other obstacles to stop AI cop cars from chasing them.

I've got a solution for my safety :)

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Don't the newest iPhones have Lidar? Glue a few of those to your car and problem solved.

This is pretty much comma.ai, only it seems to combine the "just use a phone" idea with Elon's "cameras only" for the something even worse, which is maybe why they keep running afoul of the DMV, who are imposing strong penalties for...

"This said, Comma.ai problematically hasn’t committed to regularly publishing any sort of statistics beyond miles driven, like disengagements or accidents. California’s Department of Motor Vehicles mandates that all companies testing autonomous cars report disengagements, but because Comma.ai doesn’t have a permit to test cars, it’s exempt from this requirement."
https://venturebeat.com/2020/01/07/comma-ai-launches-comma-two-a-999-kit-that-imbues-cars-with-assisted-driving-features/

oh.

BeeSeeBee fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 21, 2021

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Not familiar with that one offhand, my knowledge of Tesla crashes is limited to this thread posting tweets and news articles.

It was one of the first autopilot deaths. The car drove the guy under a tractor trailer, ripping the roof clean off, decapitating him (I think?), and then continuing to drive for a bit. He was watching Harry Potter on a DVD player at the time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Autopilot#:~:text=The%20first%20U.S.%20Autopilot%20fatality,18%2Dwheel%20tractor%2Dtrailer.

The car saw this, and treated the side of the trailer as the sky, so the yellow path was followed as though there was no obstacle in the way.

And seeing as that was in 2016, and the image above is from 2019, it wasn't so much fixed. Also it's killed again.
https://electrek.co/2019/03/01/tesla-driver-crash-truck-trailer-autopilot/

duz posted:

Isn't that what the NTSB said in the harry potter crash?

Tesla even said as much but made sure to blame the driver all the same.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/tragic-loss

"Neither Autopilot nor the driver noticed the white side of the tractor trailer against a brightly lit sky, so the brake was not applied. The high ride height of the trailer combined with its positioning across the road and the extremely rare circumstances of the impact caused the Model S to pass under the trailer, with the bottom of the trailer impacting the windshield of the Model S."

BeeSeeBee fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 21, 2021

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Some leaks about the FBI's ability/legal rights to information from various encrypted communications platforms

https://twitter.com/fekitcba/status/1465757901537132544?s=20

The FBI is as confused as the rest of us regarding which one of Google's messaging/chat/video services is still relevant and that they need to be monitoring.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, simply adding an online RMA process for customers moved 25% of our RMA volume to self-service this last half after it went active. Even if someone does call in, we can send them to the site instead of having to capture all their information, cutting down on handle time, errors, etc.

As shrike said, there's a ton of low hanging fruit for automation, but we're funded so poorly (just being a cost center for the company) that the best we can do is be those human VBA scripts for our agents overseas making $3/hr :(

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

I've mostly encountered Waymo and Nuro cars while I'm out riding my bike and the deference I get from their cars gives me the impression of safety, more than I get from drivers, and it's almost solely down to them not "seeing red" as soon as they encounter me and do stupid poo poo to pass. They seem to happily sit behind you at a safe distance below the speed limit until there's an actual safe space to pass. They're also real sticklers for the speed limit which is nice. That SF Cruise crash mentioned had the other car doing 40 in a 25 :psyduck:

As long as we're not getting any better transportation solutions, this seems to be the last hope of reigning in the danger from cars, which sucks to have to put your optimism in.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Motronic posted:

It's like you didn't even read that article.

The whole thing, no, it was meandering and just rehashed a bunch of stuff. Care to make a point?

e: If you're thinking the hope I mentioned is like a broad autonomous robo-taxis zipping around kinda world, I don't mean that. I mean more like in my specific locale (their backyard, so good weather for it), and if 5% of local trips could replaced, even using pre-mapped everything, in 20 years, I would be happy. I'm not optimistically hopeful, more like desperately hopeful because there's uhhh nothing else coming down the pipeline and I'm tired of getting assaulted.

BeeSeeBee fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 7, 2022

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

PT6A posted:

The comment also discusses the root of many a tech nightmare: the desire to solve non-technical problems with tech solutions.

People harassing cyclists is still going to happen unless we work on solving that specific problem, because it's a problem with driver intent, not driver skill or capability.

Lol yeah like I said, it's sheer desperation, I'd much rather have sensible transportation everywhere, but we aren't getting that either. If I can get rolling traffic calming, I'll take it.

Motronic posted:

Yes, it's like you didn't even read the article. Your scaled down version of what you hope for is very unlikely outside of some other technologic breakthrough (in computing) that will fundamentally change what autonomous vehicles and most other industries that use computers will have to work with. It's going to require one of those quantum leap technologies that spurs a who era of "new stuff" that can be created because of this discovery/invention and autonomous cars will be the least of the things benefiting from something like this.

The entire point of the article is that we've hit a wall on "machine learning"/rote memorization and these vehicles will literally never be able to turn left safely unless they are on a closed course.

I didn't think the article was all that well written or sourced enough to make the leaps they were. Like, the quotes are from a vision only company guy and Levandowski so it would be nice if they provided some actual insight into numbers, but it's just some annecdotes and generalizations. They needed to tell me how Waymo's doing and why what's currently live, picking up passengers is or isn't a dismal failure, not about Tony's trucks. I don't actually know what the state of the industry is as of late, but I didn't learn anything new about it from the article.

Who cares about lefts, just make a bunch of rights to avoid them like delivery companies :D

BeeSeeBee fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 7, 2022

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, and really the #1 far out there, cutting edge, future tech I want for cars in light of their growing EV weight and power are speed and acceleration governors. But honestly, it's probably less realistic than robo-taxis in terms of possible adoption.

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Certainly none of those white-shoe dweebs at Perkins or Cooley.

withoutclass posted:

Probably just rides on the YouTube code/infra so does it take a lot extra to keep the lights on.

It does, you can just replace /shorts/ with watch?v= and have it play in the normal youtube format on desktop. Better to just get an extension to do it for you since youtube forces every vertical video under a minute into being a short and they're obviously pushing this poo poo hard.

BeeSeeBee fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 1, 2022

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

isnt Boring Company also a musk company that also only does hyperloops?

Also the fact that musk and his rat think that word play is universe brain level poo poo pisses me off.

Yeah, the Boring company is a Musk enterprise, but Hyperloop was just kind of something he theorized and tossed out into the world without taking it any further himself. There's a number of non-Musk companies that are working on it but the passenger test results are pretty pitiful, like 500m at 170km/h.

The only thing the Boring Company has accomplished are the Tesla tunnels you see in the posts above. We're supposed to be getting an update on Neuralink at the end of the month for maximum monkey killing too.

Stexils posted:

imagine a tunnel fire in this thing. or just the mechanism breaking down. You Will Die

A good reminder that more people have burned to death in Teslas than in Ford Pintos, both about the same number of cars sold (~3M).
https://www.tesla-fire.com/
and 15 autopilot deaths https://www.tesladeaths.com/

BeeSeeBee fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 14, 2022

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

isnt Neuralink the animal abuse one?/the monkey/monkey brain abuse one?

Yeah, they cut open the skulls of monkeys, implanted the electrodes, bioglued them back together, despite that stuff being known to be toxic to nerve tissue, so it destroyed their brains. Then they'd force the monkeys into this hosed up thing

And if they didn't acclimate to being in that box for 5 hours a day, they'd force them to do what they wanted through a hosed up clockwork orange type head restraint.

15 of the 22 died.

And this was from the UC Davis experimentation, who got fined a whopping $5,000 for all the abuse after pocketing $1.4M from Neuralink. They moved some monkeys to their lab in Fremont, so who knows what horrors are going on there.

Small price to pay for some monkeys who can play pong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Mourning Due posted:

Yeah, kind of wish I hadn't seen it to be honest, although obviously better to know.

Makes it hard to even laugh at Elon, knowing that his loving stupid schemes aren't just losing him and his investors billions, but they're also torturing and brain damaging innocent creatures.

Hoping it's not true, but guessing it probably is.

Unfortunately those restraint techniques aren't unique to Neuralink, that's standard industry practice :smith: