Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Ccs posted:

Yup. But one election can totally change whether that consent of the source jurisdiction is upheld. The chances of this happening are .000000000001%, but America has invaded countries for their resources before. I imagine the public would be fully supportive of the government raiding the Cayman Islands for the hidden tax revenue of American billionaires.

I'm sure you don't mean literally invade, not in this day and age. Cayman Islands wouldn't have Scrooge McDuck moneybins, all those holdings are just ledger lines and any actual tangible wealth is probably somewhere like a Swiss bank or gold bars in a Fed Reserve vault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

These have been available for a while, are hella expensive and don't actually store much. They are great at pointing out how rich you are, much like a window in your floor that showcases the ferrari in your garage.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

The Segway was hyped up beyond belief, too. Councils were going to design cities around it, our way of living will never be the same etc.

Turns out that it's really handy for some niche uses and a slight improvement for a lot of others. World changing? Nope.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I know not everyone works on a laptop, but that would be a great way for my HR department to get lots of photos of me on the shitter.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

We’re five minutes away from company scrip again, aren’t we?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

I moved away from my friends and family and Facebook was how I kept across what people were doing. After a while though I realised that it wasn’t quality interaction, what people put on there is fake, and it was just a circle jerk of “look at the awesome thing I’m doing, your life doesn’t compare”. I was feeling more disconnected than ever, lovely when people wouldn’t comment or like my posts, posting vacuous poo poo all the time.

Deleting my Facebook profile was the best thing I ever did for my mental health. I keep in touch with my friends via phone, email, and occasional visits.

That’s my experience, your mileage may vary.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

What does the FBI do with the bitcoins they seize when taking down criminal dark web sites?

I assume physical cash goes into government revenue but I wonder if the same happens when they get $20m in solved sudokus. Maybe they hand it to the CIA to fund friendly dictators etc.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

suck my woke dick posted:

fusion

and also fusion actually works, the only challenge is making it work affordably and safely. we could totally build a fusion power plant today that's a large cavity where we flash water into steam by blasting it with a steady stream of thermonuclear warheads

Fusion power totally works. We’ve got a fusion power source operating at a safe distance and have a proven way of harnessing the photons emitted to create clean power.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I bought a new washer-dryer set that had a steam washer, and part of the high-endedness was that it had an app. When I read the disclaimer on the app, they were going to be selling my personal data and there was no way to opt out. I decided that the entertainment value of having my phone tell me the laundry was done wasn't worth it.

My Samsung washing machine has wifi so it can contact support and download new custom washing programs.

Seeing as 99% of my clothes washing is done on the default cycle, I’ve skipped connecting to House Flood as a Service.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the charging needs to be real fast because people aren't going to park in a community charging spot then come back out in an hour or two or six to move their car. the charger will be occupied for hours at a time, long after the car is done charging

Seems like some of the issues are the cost of charging equipment and the grid infrastructure to supply the kW needed for multiple chargers.

I wonder if you could improve this by having a single charger connected to multiple cars with multiple leads. I.e at the start of the workday, six cars plug into a single charger. The charger round robin charges them, one after the other. The car or charger sends a text/email/whatever when it is charged.

This way the grid isn’t having to cope with lots of current at once, owners don’t have to immediately move their cars, and you’re turning four chargers into 24 charging spots.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

suck my woke dick posted:

In the case of tax and business law there are ridiculously low standards of what counts as a taxable or business activity across many EU members, to the point where e.g. listing a hundred separate items of used children's clothing (surplus since your 3 kids have grown up) on eBay without setting yourself up as a business can and has landed people in court for operating an unlicensed business, failing to have kept evidence for all items to show that taxes don't apply and/or failing to follow business regulations. Offline, nobody gives a poo poo if people sell the same items without setting up a business because it's both blatantly ridiculous and inefficient for tax collectors to waste time going after people for doing occasional yard sales or setting up a flea market stall one weekend every year. The only reason clearing your household trash via eBay is disproportionately more likely to get prosecuted is because it's almost no work to gather the required evidence, and this sort of poo poo needs to stop with the threshold for miscellaneous activities being subject to business regulations and taxes being raised to some fairly high percentage of the income people would get from a minimum wage job.

Yeah I think the Australian Taxation Office treats $50k of revenue (not profit) as the difference between a hobby and a business. If you’re making $40k selling beanie babies they don’t care, but you also can’t claim input costs as a deduction.

If you’re making $60k doing wedding photography on the weekend, you have to declare it but now you can also claim that $3k camera lens as a business deduction.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

So no, nobody is physically moving hardware. If someone needs to install a new server/host or new networking gear, someone inside the DC whose job it is to install that receives the gear at the shipping location, unpacks it, racks it, configures it according to the Engineers instructions, and then its hands off other than configuration changes driven remotely by engineers/developers.

I've been to the our DC plenty of times but since COVID lockdowns made that difficult, we've relied heavily on the "smart hands" service that our DC operator provides. Essentially skilled techs that work at the DC that become your hands and feet. We've used them to replace failed kit and from receiving the shipment, smoke test, install, provide initial script, it was all seamless.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It's kids guys. As soon as kids can forage around I'm the fridge and cupboards for snacks they do. They also like to stand there with the door open staring into the fridge as of it were some empty abyss or eldritch horror, only to close it a minute later having gotten nothing.

I'm in my 40s and I still open the fridge, stare at it, close the fridge, go back 5 minutes and repeat the cycle somehow expecting the contents to have changed. I refuse to alter my ways.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

One developing area that I am aware of (I work at an electricity company) is the advancement of spot pricing in domestic electricity market, and the integration of home power generation with consumption and pricing signals.

e.g. my retailer tells me that there is ample cheap supply available now and will offer me a discount kw/h rate for the next two hours, but then the rate will go up significantly from 4pm... i'll cool/heat this house now and wind the unit down during the peak time.

or my home solar installation is sending power to the grid but not getting much in the way of a feed in tariff, I'll find up ways to use the power on site (such as cooling the house down now rather than later).

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

karthun posted:

gently caress spot pricing for residential users. Texas had their spot price go up from $21 per MW-h to $9,000 per MW-h last Feb. Commercial and industrial should be shutdown first and everything should be done to keep power on at residential locations as long as possible.

Yeah I'm not talking about exposure to the spot wholesale market, although some retailers are offering that. More likely that there will be some pricing mechanism for demand management, rather than flat tariffs or inflexible time of use tariffs; or that variable feed-in tariffs for solar generation could be offered instead of an unchanging feed-in tariff with a cap on exports.

Then again, USA seems to have some massive aversion to variable interest rate mortgages so spot pricing might be considered witchcraft over there.

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 14, 2021

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Variable rate is the default here, and options to fix the rate are usually 1, 2 or maybe 5 years. I don't know if it's genuinely better or worse but it's certainly not considered a sign of financial imprudence. Usually when determining if you can afford a mortgage, you're encouraged to factor in 2% rate rises, which is about how much you could expect in 5 years for a relatively stable economy. But yes, rates are rock bottom now so you can get a mortgage with a 2-3% rate or lock it in for a few years for probably another 15-50 basis points above that.

Sorry about the non-tech derail (fin tech maybe?).

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

karthun posted:

Anyways this has nothing to do with trying to apply market pressures on home energy users when what we should be doing is trying to avoid market pressures on home energy use as much as possible.

I think it depends on how the market is regulated to avoid consumers being at the whim of price gouging by for-profit utilities, or being a genuine measure to avoid adverse conditions on the energy supply.

In Queensland you can get a rebate on your air conditioner if you opt-in to a program that will reduce your air-conditioner output during peak load events: https://www.energex.com.au/home/control-your-energy/cashback-rewards-program/cashback-rewards-for-households/air-conditioning-rewards

Note that it's opt-in and rewards based, not putting consumers at the whim of a distorted wholesale energy pricing market.

So back to tech nightmares, this is what I see as a possible use for internet connected appliances - "oh I can score fifty bonus points if I don't use my air-conditioner between 4 and 6 pm today".

But yeah, it will result in having to continually accept cookies, updates, and do konami code style resets, before I can start a cycle in my washing machine.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Yes that's right, I was/am.

Peak load shedding as it has existed since the 70s requires dedicated circuits connected to ripple receivers and offers very little in flexibility - here it's called controlled load, there's a couple of profiles, and the frequency injection unit controls whole areas, not individual feeders or in some cases not even individual sub stations (the FI plant that controls my house is at the transmission sub station and does the whole town). The regulations also require that appliances on controlled load are hardwired in, so ripple receivers on standard appliances aren't available.

Spot pricing may appeal to some consumers, and it must do because we're seeing more and more retailers offering packages that have some spot pricing feature although not the wholesale spot pricing. There can be a middle ground between the retail rate of $0.25c kw/h no matter what the time or conditions, and the $14.50 kw/h which represents the legislated wholesale maximum spot price.

But yeah, gotta let people crank that AC and cool the house to 18c, no matter the cost. Just ask everyone to spend more on grid upgrades for those 8 peak hours per year, because heaven forbid the consumer actually have to sweat a little. Or you know, go for rolling black-outs as preferable to any measure that passes on some semblance of generation or distribution cost.

Again, and let me stress what I'm saying, it should be opt-in for people who have the technology and actual interest in having some flexibility in consumption - particularly for flexible loads like pool pumps, air conditioners, hell even fridges can operate at lower power for a couple of hours. The flexibility and ability on a per household or per device basis just isn't available with existing frequency injection ripple controllers, at least not where I am.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

karthun posted:

All effort should be on the power and gas companies to provide all the electricity and gas to the home user because people will loving die if they don't.

Well, yeah, but you're going to have to stop voting for retards and actually elect a government that will properly regulate your energy markets if you've got any hope of that happening.

e: I also do understand the issue, but because we don't have -40 degrees (celsius or farenheit) days here, some technologies could be more or less useful. The world is not one homogenous blob.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 16, 2021

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

karthun posted:

So take the technology of an internet connected thermostat, what use does this provide? It can't be for peak load shedding, that technology already exists and works on my 25 year old AC. It can't be for market based pricing because market base pricing is not useful and even regulated markets are harmful to the consumer.

Well I had a related conversation with my neighbour on this last week when he complained about solar feed in tariffs being so low now (about 7c). I said he should try and use all of his local generation rather than export to the grid, and one way to do this was to run his A/C from midday to 4pm and getting the house cold, rather than trying to take the heat out of the place later when he'd have to import power from the grid at 27c kw/h. Trivial for him as he's a retiree and is home to do it, but if he was at work it would be handy to have it happen automatically.

Now if his retailer was offering an incentive (really cheap power) at some time of the day as there is surplus capacity, then it would be great if he had some automated way to take advantage of this. Maybe by setting cost bands where he's happy to import power, bands where he'd want to export power. Throw in a battery system and do arbitrage if that's his thing.

ideally this would be through something other than individually configured cloud based services, I don't know, some kind of management device at home. Smart meters are supposed to be able to do some of this but they got co-opted by the anti-5G, vaccines are microchipped, smart meters are the tool of the devil crowd.

And then if someone else doesn't want any of this and just wants to pay a flat rate, 24x7, to keep their house warm/cool or mine bitcoins, they should have access to a default tariff to do so.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

karthun posted:

And what happens when, not if, that management device becomes misconfigured because the homeowner had to override the settings to solve a specific issue? Customer ends up with a surprise bill because the system hosed up and didn't do what the customer wanted. You might say that's the risk that people take, but I'm opposed to allowing consumers to make that mistake.

I would like to see that the customer is offered incentives, not penalties, so the worst that can happen is that they miss an incentive but are otherwise no worse off.

But yes, I get your point. My preference is that interested people can opt in but reality is that some shady company will cold call the elderly and sign them up for plans they have no chance of comprehending.

And I fully agree that the cloud based "thermostat as a service" sucks balls because inevitably the service goes out of business, gets hacked, or stops supporting your thermostat without upgrading to a premium plan.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I can see how telehealth is good for a few things and you guys raise some good points but I'm not a fan of it overall and I still wonder how non tech savvy seniors whose VCR's are still flashing 12:00 deal with it.

My wife is a GP and was providing telehealth consults for most of the last 18 months in a rural area to a largely elderly population. It was almost exclusively phone calls because of a) the tech problem you've mentioned above, and b) shithouse internet/phone reception that made video calls unreliable.

The patients loved it because it was far more convenient, they could get an appointment often for the same day, and for most of the visits it was sufficient. For anything that couldn't be easily diagnosed or handled, a follow-up was booked in. Note that this was all bulk billed so it cost the patient nothing.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Also pure accountability.

"How do I know you're actually feeding my precious cherub!@#???"
"Here's the dates that he got lunch" etc.

Or if a child continually skips lunch, the school can find out why that might be.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Apple is trying to monopolize repair to create situations where your only options are dramatically overpriced Apple-approved repairs or replacing your old apple product with a new apple products. It's insanely wasteful, hostile to consumer-interests and absolutely deserves to be harshly regulated.

Same with their pants-making GBS threads about the EU looking to mandate a single connector for phones. Forget the claim that it will "stifle innovation", they don't want to move to USB-C because of the sweet licencing costs they get from the ecosystem that's sprung up around their proprietary lightning connector.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

unknown posted:

My call is the B2B aspect is going to be attempting to replace tradeshows and other communal sales situations. No travel means a huge savings for a company and therefore money available for VR. There will be filters for recipients to change everyone's avatar to something they consider respectable (without the other person knowing) so that sales people don't have to converse with dragonload888's penis.

My company held an internal conference with one of these only recently. It was basically Zoom with a lobby, some menus, and gamification.

It completely sucked - the A/V was worse than a proper VC platform, the UI added clunkiness to the experience and most people turned off any kind of “enrichment” feature anyway. It didn’t help that it was all browser based Web 3.0 garbage.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Yes, I agree... do we have the capacity to generate and distribute all that electricity?

Again: we have brownouts whenever it's too hot or too cold, already, without that extra demand on the grid. It's a solvable problem, but are we currently solving it? This is not "I don't think electric vehicles will work," it's "what do we need to do to make sure that electric vehicles work?" and it seems important to make sure all the bases are covered.

For the hot day brownouts, the challenge is that people want to use electricity all in the afternoon peak when the day is hottest and the grid is also straining from the heat. But cars don't necessarily need to charge at that time.

Even better, if your Tesla has a 400km range on a full charge but your commute only needs 80km a day, sell back half of your vehicle battery capacity during the afternoon peak and then recharge again at night. Vehicle - to - grid (V2G) is going to take a whole heap of tariff reform, and it assumes you have a connection at your house/business that can usefully do it, but it is being investigated.

A challenge is that people really don't logically price convenience. You can offer time of use tariffs to encourage cooling/heating your house during the off peak and then just maintaining that temperature, but if it involves any kind of inconvenience then consumers expect a $50 saving per day, rather than the $1 - $5 per day that they'll actually save.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

Counterpoint: no.

If you really think the cost of constructing a train to the airport is the limiting factor in most cases, you're insane. Yes there are distance arguments in some cases but mostly, they don't build trains to the airport because they wish not to. In Calgary, for example, the train goes directly beside the airport with no connection (bus or otherwise) to the terminal, despite the fact we specifically engineered a tunnel for an LRT right-of-way. There is not even a bus route that goes through that tunnel from the terminal, and the actual road needed to accommodate that route already exists -- the airport express bus route instead takes a strange transit-only route down a narrow street in the middle of bumfucking egypt. Montreal has a great metro and commuter train system, and again, they go very near but not actually to the airport (and it's not feasibly walkable even though the distance is short; I looked when I lived in Montreal and wanted to save money).

Meanwhile, Schiphol is miles from Amsterdam and has an insane variety of train services from it, to the point one may actually become confused about what train you should take from the airport. Madrid has not one but TWO metro stops at the airport, in addition to commuter train routes. Don't excuse this poo poo.

The experience here in Oz is that the limiting factor is always the airport owners doing whatever they can to capture revenue from parking. Taxicabs usually have to pay a surcharge to pick up at the airports, and when public transport such as trains are provided, there is often a station access surcharge that either goes to the airport or the owner of the privatised rail line. If by some chance a public bus service goes to the airport, you can guarantee the bus stop is miles away from the terminal doors.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

You’re in luck because Amazon has a product for you!

https://www.amazon.com/Dash-Smart-Shelf/dp/B07RRYWPPX

I think the way it works is there’s a scale and you “pair” it to an item by weighing it (maybe both full and empty?) and then when it’s empty it can buy a new one for you.

That's great, now I can get all the thrill of "unexpected item in baggage area" in my own house.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Sodomy Hussein posted:

lol at Mark Zuckerberg going to jail for literally anything besides loving with other billionaires' money.

For those who are old enough to remember (probably a good portion of this website) this reminds me of the antitrust actions against Microsoft back in the 90s. There was genuine excitement that "the evil empire" was going to get split up into a bunch of Baby Bells, or that Gates would suffer some kind of actual real penalty. In the end IIRC there was some financial penalties/settlements, unbundling of Internet Explorer, a bit of bad press, and that was it. Oh and a movie about a fictional billionaire CEO starring Tim Robbins as a Gates clone that was stealing tech developments from college kids and then killing them.

At the time Microsoft and Gates fought hard and it was probably more pride and ego than any real fear of negative consequences, but it was really just a tech company slap fight.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Generic Monk posted:

the chat functionality is… fine; not great but considering my company was previously using lync/‘skype for business’ i can’t complain too much, apart from the only improvements in the last 2 years being native desktop notifications and actually being able to reply to people in group chats (sometimes)

Our company went Lotus Sametime->Skype For Business->Teams for IM and it's been a significant downgrade every step of the way. As much as I hated Lotus Notes as an e-mail client, Sametime seemed to be a very solid instant messaging platform. Teams is buggy as all hell, notifications randomly don't work and the lag is atrocious. One of the developers at work blames it on being an Electron app - essentially a web app rendered in an executable.

Our corporate VC platform is Zoom which in my opinion is much more usable for meetings but now people are increasingly using Teams because of the integrated chat/file dump/web page crap.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Have Some Flowers! posted:

At least in the case of banks, it's a huge tangle of integrated systems that rest on a legacy foundation.

There is a banking 'core' system that processes all the transactions and account balances. These are often older systems (proven track records are important here), and they're often hosted on premise. That means there are also big infrastructure investments that take a long time to pay off.

On top of that core, there is an application layer that provides the customer experience when you're on the bank's website or mobile app. Attached to that application layer, there's integrated solutions for remote check deposits, automated bill pay, money transfer apps, managing credit cards, applying for credit cards/loans and so on.

It is tough to upgrade the core or application layer without affecting all those integrated solutions too, so there's a big barrier to change. And because it's people's money, there's a very low tolerance for downtime or errors.

Whenever I've gone in to the bank and sat with a "specialist" to do something a little more complicated like link accounts or get finance or close accounts, they do a whole heap of web based magic but every single time there's a brief foray into a VT-100 terminal to talk to some ancient mainframe.

Ditto with mobile phones. I've gone into JB-Hifi (Australian version of I guess best buy) who are a Telstra (dominant telco) reseller and it's the same deal. A whole heap of web interface magic and then some ancient back end system to I suppose activate a SIM card or something.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

That refrigerator probably uses more electricity than an aluminium smelter and if the refrigerant gas leaks everyone in the house dies.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

OneMoreTime posted:

If you are meaning more recently post-Neumann, I have no idea. If you mean when he was in charge...

This oversimplifies things, but what it came down to was that WeWork was constantly buying additional office space and renting it out for dirt cheap via special deals and other incentives just to get said spaces filled and get more investment money. The issue however was that these cheap deals weren't making up for the cost of owning the spaces, much less buying new ones, so they made up the difference with said investment money. Since they kept getting new customers, this meant on-paper they looked like they were bringing in a ton of revenue when in reality, they were losing basically all the money in the world. This then became known when they decided to have their IPO and they had to open their books and everyone realized how much a tirefire the company was in terms of finances. This caused pretty much all VC funding to dry up until WeWork got rid of Neumann, but not before paying him a ridiculous amount of money to just leave.

That's pretty much the definition of a Ponzi scheme isn't it?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

My only exposure to WeWork was that their Sydney office had free beer on tap and you could get to the break room from the street without being challenged or requiring credentials. So thankyou WeWork investors for providing free beer when stuck in Sydney.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

ninjahedgehog posted:

Absolutely incredible how much being rich has broken this guy's brain

"Yeah I suppose you can Zoom, but can't you just hop on a quick transcontinental flight? Just tell your pilot to meet you on the tarmac?"

If I was a remote worker for Twitter and lived in a town that had a handful of other twitter employees, I would charter a jet for this and bill it to the company.

Although with the layoffs there's probably noone around to pay the invoice so good luck finding a charter company that would take your business.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

edit with context about FAA rules: In addition to a commercial license, you are required to have >=1500 total flight hours before you can be a copilot on a commercial passenger airliner. In practice, this means that if you don't have those hours from the military, you go twiddle around in a light general aviation plane for a few years after you finish schooling (because those hours don't need to be multiengine, IFR, involve big airports, or really have much to do with flying commercially) before you are hirable by an airline

CASA rules in Australia for an Air Transport Pilot Licence are similar although the 1500 hours does have to include sub categories such as 75 hours of instrument flight, 200 hours cross country etc. So unless you've come out of the Air Force you're going to spend a lot of time doing mail runs, charters, GA instructor (if you hold the endorsement).

Autopilot tech is great for applications like a cruise control in a car - hold this heading, hold this speed, trim for best efficiency, manage the engine settings etc. I think these functions have huge benefits in reducing crew fatigue but I'm not an advocate for any kind of complete automated flight control (although you can theoretically fly an entire sector automatically if the aircraft and the airports support it). Even the basic flight automation is still susceptible to covered pitot tubes, incorrect fuel loadings entered, sensor failures, and a host of other mechanical and human failures.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wow, jeez, sorry! I keep forgetting this space isn't available for setting up my laptop. Oh, well!

The very next day:... *knock* *knock*

I read that in a Det Columbo voice

“Ah geez I’m sorry. But one more thing, you see, I couldn’t help noticing that your letter opener here has a four inch blade and this little indentation, and ah well, it kinda looks similar to what the wound in the deceased looked like…”

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

Now that's a novel, a parent finds out they have a terminal illness so they decide to spend time and effort on providing enough information to an AI such that it could perfectly imitate them and then they're, "deployed" to a remote research post in Antarctica or deep in a jungle or on a spaceship and carry on communication with their spouse and most importantly, kids, in order to be a part of their kids lives as they grow up and learn while the parent had been dead for years.

The reverse is more of a parent who is deeply traumatized by the real life loss of a child and then immerses themselves into a virtual environment where their re-created kid learns and grows while the parent withdraws from reality, pretending everything is fine.

Jor-El already did this by putting himself into crystals so that his son would have guidance when sent to the planet orbiting the yellow sun.

Do try and keep up.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Has SBF suggested to the court that he creates a non-fungible token of his physical custody and they place an irreversible entry on the ledger that it is in prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Most printers, even if you set them to print greyscale, still uses the other inks which is some bullshit. I had a tech or sales guy try to explain to me why this is necessary until I explained to him I;ed worked in 4 color printing for 20+ years and, no, it's not if all you need to print is text or an email or some poo poo. It's absolutely to use up the ink.

Is it "necessary" as part of some head cleaning/line refresh thing?

Eons ago when I had a Canon Bubble Jet, i think about 800% of my ink use was the printer self cleaning every time it started up. Not to mention the service call that was required when the purge tank was full.

It's the main reason why I prefer laser and toner over ink based printers. If I need to print a realistic photo I'll go to a kiosk, rather than purchase a printer with 8 cartridges that each need replacing after 4 or 5 uses.