Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

goatsestretchgoals posted:

This is an outstanding question that will be answered in the shittiest way possible.

It will be handled exactly how governments handle bar/bartender liability in a drunk driving accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

It will be handled exactly how governments handle bar/bartender liability in a drunk driving accident.

There is a zero percent chance of a bar turning the wheels of your car in an unexpected direction as you are driving it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Somfin posted:

There is a zero percent chance of a bar turning the wheels of your car in an unexpected direction as you are driving it.

That's my point. They're not going to be held liable.
(It may differ in your state, but that's how it works here)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

In BC, in Canada, the person serving the alcohol absolutely has some responsibility to ensure the people they're serving get home safely. The cases where this has actually been enforced are pretty extreme, though - eg restaurant owners physically carried a drunk and disruptive guy to his car, dumped him in the car and threw the keys in his lap. When he drove off and killed someone, the restaurant was held partly responsible.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

there's the idea that replacing human drivers with robots will increase safety, because robots will be better drivers. we have to consider the complicating factors of:

-are robots better drivers?
-are robots better drivers in a condition where there are a mix of humans and robots on the road?
-are robots better drivers 100% of the time? 99%? 95%? how often do robots have to revert control to a human?
-if a human gets control of the car, will they be able to assert control over the car in a safe way during the handoff? what if the human was distracted, intoxicated, or asleep?
-in a situation where a human driver spends long stretches of time watching their car drive itself, what happens to their driving skills over time?
-how do we train people to drive in a world with self driving cars?

it is a technology which is tantalizingly close, promises great rewards, and can really be anything anyone wants it to be at this time. i think the future looks more like insurance companies mandating driver-facing cameras to ensure the driver as awake and attentive, meaning that in your self driving car you're still forced to basically pretend you're driving in a limbo state so you don't get dinged by the insurance company

tbh I'd probably pay money for a self driving car that's like 2x more likely to kill me compared to myself, purely because I don't want to be forced to pay attention to driving when I can read/sleep/masturbate instead

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Silly Burrito posted:

But yes, I consider reliable self-driving cars to be the epitome of technology that I hope to see before I die. I'm not getting teleportation, I'm not getting warp drive. Maybe 3D printer food replication, but not Star Trek style replication. So if I get a self-driving car that I can actually turn on and use, anything past that is just lagniappe.

I think we should've re-aligned our collective scientific endeavors to figuring out how gravity works. Flying cars are going to be easier to automate with the addition of an extra dimension and we'll probably have the means to safely and more cheaply travel our solar system at the same time.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Look at those dummies over at NASA, burning shitloads of fuel to escape the earth's gravity well. Why don't they just invent an anti-gravity device?? Kirk has that on the Enterprise.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just all The Road Not Taken up in here.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
im imagining someone took the graph "years to fission power" under different funding regimes, and took a crayon to scratch out "fission power" and replace with "antigravity"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

For a true self driving car the manufacturer will be liable for injuries to passengers or third parties. For Teslas both are probably liable but Tesla will try to shift liability to the driver but for third parties they would be very dumb to let a case go to trial. They’d probably be dumb to let a driver case go to a trial as well.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I don't know how you throw around the phrase "full self-driving" and avoid liability, honestly. All the nag screens in the world aren't gonna drown that out.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

im imagining someone took the graph "years to fission power" under different funding regimes, and took a crayon to scratch out "fission power" and replace with "antigravity"

fusion

and also fusion actually works, the only challenge is making it work affordably and safely. we could totally build a fusion power plant today that's a large cavity where we flash water into steam by blasting it with a steady stream of thermonuclear warheads

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

suck my woke dick posted:

fusion

and also fusion actually works, the only challenge is making it work affordably and safely. we could totally build a fusion power plant today that's a large cavity where we flash water into steam by blasting it with a steady stream of thermonuclear warheads

I mean, when you put it that way...

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

I don't know how you throw around the phrase "full self-driving" and avoid liability, honestly. All the nag screens in the world aren't gonna drown that out.

the other obvious argument for a third-party is "you claim to have made an AI that can safely* drive by itself* ... but can't make an AI to tell if there's actually a human in the driver's seat?"

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I like the idea that even if we figured out gravity, it would be trivially simple to have antigravity wells in the gravity well of the earth. Like just that idea, that we would invent the small scale start decurving spacetime to move cars around, for the sake of easier automation, is funny to me.

I also feel like there'd probably be some horrible sideeffect to doing that en masse.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

They call it "Navigate on Autopilot". Full Self-Driving is what you're paying for when you buy the feature, used to be available "some time soon", now with a "maybe sometime in the future, maybe not"-type disclaimer.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

When a self-driving car kills a pedestrian the pedestrian will obviously be at fault. The car manufacturer will have an army of engineers and terabytes of test data showing the car performing safely under any imaginable condition and the pedestrian will have a grieving family trying to show the dead guy wasn’t drunk.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Beelzebufo posted:

I like the idea that even if we figured out gravity, it would be trivially simple to have antigravity wells in the gravity well of the earth. Like just that idea, that we would invent the small scale start decurving spacetime to move cars around, for the sake of easier automation, is funny to me.

I also feel like there'd probably be some horrible sideeffect to doing that en masse.
https://novel80.com/asimovs-mysteries/the-billiard-ball-993122.html

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

TACD posted:

When a self-driving car kills a pedestrian the pedestrian will obviously be at fault. The car manufacturer will have an army of engineers and terabytes of test data showing the car performing safely under any imaginable condition and the pedestrian will have a grieving family trying to show the dead guy wasn’t drunk.

Even when the data shows the car not performing safely they still blame it on the pedestrian for doing something completely unpredictable like jaywalking.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/07/777438412/feds-say-self-driving-uber-suv-did-not-recognize-jaywalking-pedestrian-in-fatal-

quote:

According to the NTSB report, the SUV had "a fusion" of three sensor systems — radar, lidar and a camera — designed to detect an object and determine its trajectory. However, the system could not determine whether Herzberg was a pedestrian, vehicle, or bicycle. It also failed to correctly predict her path.

"The system design did not include a consideration for jaywalking pedestrians," the report said.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

They call it "Navigate on Autopilot". Full Self-Driving is what you're paying for when you buy the feature, used to be available "some time soon", now with a "maybe sometime in the future, maybe not"-type disclaimer.

How many thousands are Tesla owners paying for that "maybe" again?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That's my biggest hangup with Tesla. I think it's $10,000 now for it, and that's insane to me.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Wonder how many people stop reading after "Full Self Driving Capability"

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Jose Valasquez posted:

Wonder how many people stop reading after "Full Self Driving Capability"

"Capability" is holding a lot of weight there.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

"Capability" is holding a lot of weight there.

Load-bearing mischaracterization.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Actionable characterization in a sane society.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i'm the $10,000 software upgrade to use the sensors and chips that already existed in the car when it rolled out of the factory

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i'm the $10,000 software upgrade to use the sensors and chips that already existed in the car when it rolled out of the factory

unfortunately that poo poo is not exclusive to tesla

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Paying for software truly is the herald of the end times. :filez:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the worse thing is that musk refuses to put lidar on teslas because it would ruin the aesthetic (this, from the cybertruck guy) so the vehicles are permanently deficient relative to other makers

it doesn't matter, tesla buyers are rubes anyway

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kaal posted:

Paying for software truly is the herald of the end times. :filez:

You wouldn't download the software for a car......

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the worse thing is that musk refuses to put lidar on teslas because it would ruin the aesthetic (this, from the cybertruck guy) so the vehicles are permanently deficient relative to other makers

it doesn't matter, tesla buyers are rubes anyway

IIRC it's also because their manufacturing is so lovely that the only way they're breaking even is with government subsidies. Lidar costs a couple of thousand per vehicle, and they literally don't have a profit margin they can eat into for that. And this is despite their cars being 1.5-2X more expensive than comparable cars from established auto makers.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I thought Lidar's cost like $500 bucks per vehicle now?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

You wouldn't jailbreak a car......

LineageOS when you cowards

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Monaghan posted:

That's still 500 in extra losses per vehicle :v:

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

And, if Tesla is anything to go by, the autopilot/self-driving system will disengage once it runs out of options or realises a collision is inevitable, giving the human driver a few seconds to see the "Autopilot Cancelled: Please Resume Manual Control of Your Vehicle" message, regain something like normal driving alertness, take stock of the situation and do..."something". So not only is it the pedestrian's fault, it's also the owner/driver's fault because they were in full control of the vehicle at the time of the crash. Definitely not the manufacturer - the self-driving system worked perfectly and returned control to the driver when conditions fell outside its set safety parameters.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

suck my woke dick posted:

That's still 500 in extra losses per vehicle :v:

They can make it up in regulatory credits.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Monaghan posted:

Not even close.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tesla didn’t put lidar on their cars because the whole point was to juice profits by selling a handful of webcams and a promise for $10k and figure that if the company takes off you can deal with that debt later. This actually managed to work as their meteoric stock price rise has let them sell equity to cover their balance-sheet shenanigans.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Spazzle posted:

Not even close.

Yeah even after Google spent quite a bit of time trying to drive down costs and get a scale economy going, the sensors cost at least $7,500 per car. Tesla's perspective is basically that lidar technology just isn't affordable for consumer goods, and it presents its own problems that will require cameras in any case (lidar can't read signs or distinguish objects, for example), so it's much better to rely on a technology that is nearly as accurate and actually could be produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Spazzle posted:

Not even close.

I suspect it's 500 for the kind of lidar you put on a fancy Arduino project, 5k for the kind that's semi reliable getting rained on and rattled around as an automotive part?