Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Mystic Stylez posted:

How exactly do you achieve Silent Assassin? Because I just did a SA/SO run, I guess, but didn't get the challenge listed as done. Was it because I left the target's body out of a container (but it was never found before I finished the mission)? I can't think of anything else. You can knock people unconscious, right?

I've definitely done SA/SO while leaving the targets body out in the open, though that was an accident kill which may be the difference. Did you get recorded by a camera? Usually it'll tell you at the end which of the things you missed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Mystic Stylez posted:

How exactly do you achieve Silent Assassin? Because I just did a SA/SO run, I guess, but didn't get the challenge listed as done. Was it because I left the target's body out of a container (but it was never found before I finished the mission)? I can't think of anything else. You can knock people unconscious, right?
If you knock someone out after they see you doing something bad it will still count against you. So even knockouts have to be unseen.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Mystic Stylez posted:

-only targets killed
-Do not get spotted
- If cameras see you destroy the evidence
-Bodies can not be found unless it was an accident kill
- You can knock people out as long as no one see's their body
- killing a target and leaving their body out of a container is fine as long as it is not found.

If a camera saw you and you didn't destroy the evidence it may have been that. The rating screen should tell you what went wrong.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

It was the second prologue mission so I guess I don't get the rating screen. Also I don't think they have cameras. Oh well, will try again, thanks!

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Came here to post that Giant Bomb video, it convinced me to finally buy v the game, video game theatre in action.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Mash posted:

Of all the great things about this game, the thing I like the most is that the developers seem to have really picked up on what people didn't like about Absolution. Blood Money was brilliant because of its sandbox nature and HITMAN does the same thing incredibly well. I saw a bit on GiantBomb with two of the devs, and they mentioned Sapienza as their own favourite map too, because of how large and relatively open it was.

Yeah I think one of the coolest things about HITMAN is how they took a lot of the stuff that was fairly scripted in Blood Money (stuff like poisoning people's food/drinks, accidents, etc.) and opened them up into more generic systems to be exploited. Now instead of only being able to poison your target's drink, you can poison most drinks in the level (at least, the ones that actually get used by NPCs). There might not be an obvious reason to do it, but you can do it if you want to and creative players FIND reasons to do it. It becomes less about finding the specific sequence of actions you need to take to get SA, and more about making the most of the tools you're given.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Chexoid posted:

They definitely report it to other guards, you can see it in this Amazing Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o_m8Ul-M94

I'm not sure how the exact mechanics work though.

help I'm dying squirtle

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Mystic Stylez posted:

It was the second prologue mission so I guess I don't get the rating screen. Also I don't think they have cameras. Oh well, will try again, thanks!

Did you exit the mission immediately after killing the target? Sometimes it seems like the game doesn't credit you if the "unnoticed kill/accident kill" tag doesn't come up before leaving a mission.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Did you exit the mission immediately after killing the target? Sometimes it seems like the game doesn't credit you if the "unnoticed kill/accident kill" tag doesn't come up before leaving a mission.

I don't think I did, but I restarted the mission and managed to get the challenge ticked. Perhaps the problem had something to do with a NPC that I knocked before he could raise any alarms seeing me killing the target?

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Mystic Stylez posted:

I don't think I did, but I restarted the mission and managed to get the challenge ticked. Perhaps the problem had something to do with a NPC that I knocked before he could raise any alarms seeing me killing the target?

Yes, that's the problem. You can't been spotted doing anything suspicious or illegal by anyone at all for silent assassin. You can't even let the target see you pointing a gun at their face so they die in a final moment of fear and panic without losing silent assassin.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The closeup double-tap in the back animation is more satisfying anyway :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I thought a break over christmas might help but I still can't get more than five minutes into bangkok without losing my patience and going on a murder spree. :v:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pilchenstein posted:

I thought a break over christmas might help but I still can't get more than five minutes into bangkok without losing my patience and going on a murder spree. :v:

One mission in Bangkok makes the hitman humble.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The closeup double-tap in the back animation is more satisfying anyway :v:

Wait is there a special gun kill animation? I thought you had to just aim and shoot.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Ciaphas posted:

Wait is there a special gun kill animation? I thought you had to just aim and shoot.

Sneak up behind someone while holding a gun and there's a special attack action, just like with the melee weapons.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fuckin hell I know nothing about this gaaaaame.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
If it makes you feel better I only found it doing an escalation the other day after having put dozens of hours into the game. It was a nice surprise.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

frenton posted:

You can't even let the target see you pointing a gun at their face so they die in a final moment of fear and panic without losing silent assassin.

That's a disappointing answer to a question that I've had for a while. Not that it is gamebreaking, but it shouldn't make a difference to SA if Dahlia knows who is stabbing her to death with a screwdriver in the bathroom as long as that info dies with her.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I think it's a perfect fit for what is the pro challenge for pro hitmen.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ciaphas posted:

I think a small problem I have with this game, be it the game's or my own fault, is that I don't try enough things for the following reasons

- In any sane world I would be noticed/guards would notice that their buddy/client has been in the bathroom for 20 minutes and would check on them/etc, so why even try luring them one at a time with coins and hiding them in a box?

I noticed in Dishonored 2 that people actually will eventually notice their companion suddenly is gone. :v:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

skooma512 posted:

I noticed in Dishonored 2 that people actually will eventually notice their companion suddenly is gone. :v:

It does happen in Hitman too, but to set it up and have an opportunity to notice it requires a bit more work than it's really worth.

It's probably the easiest to see in Bangkok, where for instance pushing Cross off the roof will eventually make his guards start looking and calling for him, or if you kill him off in the recording booth — the team was rather expecting him to start singing or at least star berating them, and will come to check on him when he disappears. I think that Novikov's bodyguard also has at least one routine for dealing with Novikov vanishing, but it's a lot harder to put him on that path.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I managed to poison the Bangkok lawyer when he sampled something from the buffet. His bodyguard just stood there and stared at his twitching corpse.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This pad Thai immediately killed my boss. Just an unfortunate accident. No cause for alarm or suspicion.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Tippis posted:

It does happen in Hitman too, but to set it up and have an opportunity to notice it requires a bit more work than it's really worth.

It's probably the easiest to see in Bangkok, where for instance pushing Cross off the roof will eventually make his guards start looking and calling for him, or if you kill him off in the recording booth — the team was rather expecting him to start singing or at least star berating them, and will come to check on him when he disappears. I think that Novikov's bodyguard also has at least one routine for dealing with Novikov vanishing, but it's a lot harder to put him on that path.

Really? I strangled Cross in the booth on my SASO run and left him there. No one ever found him despite me taking an assload of time getting out of there and then having to take out the camera footage (~10 minutes I'd guess).

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This pad Thai immediately killed my boss. Just an unfortunate accident. No cause for alarm or suspicion.

There's a lot of suspension of disbelief needed sometimes. My friend played Paris for the first time today. He electrocuted Novikov in a pool of water, drowned Dalia in her own toilet and then, dressed as a security guard, flew away in their helicopter. You'd think the two guards standing next to the helicopter would find the whole day a bit off.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Tippis posted:

Also happens in Hokkaido, the lawyer's bodyguard was wandering around looking for her after I pushed her off the balcony, and also when I threw her into the river during the yoga lesson :laugh:

e:

Eggnogium posted:

Really? I strangled Cross in the booth on my SASO run and left him there. No one ever found him despite me taking an assload of time getting out of there and then having to take out the camera footage (~10 minutes I'd guess).
I headshot him from behind in there, apparently that's one way glass!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I headshot him from behind in there, apparently that's one way glass!

It's also soundproof, so the gunshot doesn't even have to be silenced as long as the door is shut. Haven't tried it with an explosive, though.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I didn't know that! I just shot him from the outside in front of everyone like a chump.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So have they said anything about letting people do the special contracts again? I just got the game and missed a lot of the previous contracts.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So have they said anything about letting people do the special contracts again? I just got the game and missed a lot of the previous contracts.

The company line is that past elusive targets are really and truly one-time only. Any talk of them coming back is speculation, for now. If you missed them because you didn't buy the game earlier, that's your loss.

But! There will be many, many more elusive targets in the foreseeable future. The going rate at the moment is one every two weeks, so missing the first 14 or so isn't a big deal if the final total approaches 50, 75, or more.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There haven't even been any for Colorado or Hokkaido yet, so I'd imagine there's still quite a few coming.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Currently working out my SASO run for Bangkok. Getting incredibly unlucky then incredibly lucky in the span of ten seconds is why this game is so good.

https://twitter.com/Chexoid/status/814762137226772480

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"Whatever, just some shoes with legs lying about on the floor."

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDxGUySVBeY
Turns out the one weird trick I was missing was the wifi enabled golden pistol. :v:

I'm going to feel like a proper dickhead when I go on youtube and find out there's a way to get SASO in like, twelve earth seconds or something.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, Hokkaido is one of the best-looking levels I have ever seen in a video game. That's not based on a real place right?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pilchenstein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDxGUySVBeY
Turns out the one weird trick I was missing was the wifi enabled golden pistol. :v:

I'm going to feel like a proper dickhead when I go on youtube and find out there's a way to get SASO in like, twelve earth seconds or something.

Nah. Those times were from when you could shoot through solid walls.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How hard are the Elusive Target missions? Should I level up mastery/learn the level before I try one? I know you only have one life and can only replay the level if you're about to fail. I've only beaten all the story missions once so far

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Lakbay posted:

How hard are the Elusive Target missions? Should I level up mastery/learn the level before I try one? I know you only have one life and can only replay the level if you're about to fail. I've only beaten all the story missions once so far
If you're not concerned about getting silent assassin rating, they're usually pretty easy. If you are then they can be difficult, though mastery unlocks help.

Speaking of, I've done one recon run on this new guy and from his dialogue with the waiter I'm guessing he can smell poison in his food? Might be some bloodshed on the cards when I get home. :chef:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lakbay posted:

If by that you mean "hosed something up but haven't completed an objective yet", then you're correct. It's probably not a bad idea to be familiar with a level, though the ETs probably require you to scout out the level anyway, so you don't need to be like a master or anything. As for how hard they are, I think that depends on how clean you want to do them, much like the regular missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Sure wish I could hear any of the ET's lines over those two assholes shouting over him about Abel de Silva from the other end of the restaurant.