Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

MinibarMatchman posted:

I had used poison on one guy but he successfully purged himself afterwards; I thought it was the surefire method to take him out.

You sure if was poison? It may have just been a sedative. If you put someone to sleep/pacify them, they will eventually wake up. Which is something I'm uber-excited for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Dunno-Lars posted:

I get a error that I am not supposed to have access to the game, but going offline works fine.

Now that the beta period is over, the game is only going to be accessible offline. You'll need to find a list of challenges elsewhere and go by those.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Don't do suitonlysa on the boat as it doesn't exist. God damnit...

You know what else doesn't exist? Murder everyone on the boat.

I murdered everyone on the boat.

I am a winner.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Wheeeeeeeeeeee.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

khwarezm posted:

But what really annoyed me was the very concept of the level itself, you're not assassinating anybody(:rolleyes:), you're just sneaking around (I can't even remember why)... except its a public bar so you should be able to walk around most of it without anybody hassling you, but you can't.

I believe the context was that they don't take too kindly to outsiders waltzing in to their "public" bar. Just the fact that you couldn't walk in without the bouncers preventing you from doing so, because they said so, was enough of a hint.

Still, I completely agree with what you're saying. An environment that should have been free roaming and relatively straightforward was turned into an invisible fence maze with essentially only one safe path through. If this were any other game series, it would have been a fun "in between" level for fact-finding to advance the story and otherwise messing around with. For a Hitman game, however, it was really, really dumb.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

Steam is offering the Intro pack for 15 bucks, how much is the upgrade for the other levels?

If you don't get the full experience ($60) up front, each additional level will cost you $10. Bought separately everything should be $65, assuming five more locations at $10 each, which is also what the $50 upgrade pack is.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

My trip report:

Wanted to play the hell out of the prologue missions (again) to get all the achievements and whatnot. I really appreciated the escalation contracts, which forced me to attack the maps in a completely different way. Very refreshing! Logged about five hours in the prologue alone. Got everything there, so I went to load the Paris level (on DX11)…and the game crashed. Changed all my graphics settings to low…game still crashes. Waited a day to try again…game still crashes, and did a number to Windows, too. Had to reset my fairly high-end PC.

It's a really good game. Too bad about all the technical problems, though. However, technical problems can be fixed—eventually. I'm just happy the core game experience is very solid, and very fun. Ain't nothing would be able to fix that if they had hosed that up, which I'm glad that they haven't.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

jneer posted:

dumdums buying the $60 game and complaining about one map

The dumdum in me really really wanted to put down the $60 to get beta access, especially since I had just upgraded my PC and was desperate to play Hitman as soon as possible. When they rejiggered the release format and made the $15 intro pack available, I was more than happy to pay for it before it was released. I'm seeing this initial release as a $15 game, which in my opinion is well worth it (even though I can't play the Paris level at the moment).

Anyone who paid $60 up front is an idiot; one because they preordered a $60 game, and two because some of them thought they were going to get $60 of game up front, despite it being pretty clear that it wasn't being offered.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I haven't experienced a server disconnect while playing yet, thank goodness. I'm definitely disappointed in the performance of the game and the poor optimization of the PC version. I'm running a R9 390, well above the recommended specs, and even after installing the new drivers can only manage to play Paris at 720p with medium settings. Anything higher and I get bombed with low memory warnings (which I still get, even at these low settings) and Windows crashes. I'm expecting these issues to go away with more development and better DX12 implementation, but it's still incredibly frustrating that this game can't use my shiny new PC the way I feel it should be using it.

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah but it's still just one level. With one set of routines to explore, one set of targets to kill. One sense of wonder to enjoy.

I dunno, I'm still feeling pretty overwhelmed by Paris. The ground floor and the upper levels feel like two completely different worlds. Judging by the list of challenges, there are two or three things that I have absolutely no idea how to get yet. And I'm still finding new pathways and shortcuts all over the place, too. I'm very much enjoying playing through one giant-rear end level, thanks.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It is a little odd that they don't seem to try to contact the people across the map by radio and only alert other guards they meet in person, but I guess the game is set up to be forgiving so that one mistake doesn't light up the whole map like it did in Codename 47.

Or via telepathy like in Absolution.

Man, gently caress Absolution.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Kontradaz posted:

What, you want variety in your game? You want to visit different locales and setups? No, the future is one level with an infinite amount of contracts. Nothing changes, but if you use your imagination this game can last years!"

IOI have said that if the first season does well, they could keep right on going and develop a second season with new locations. So we could very well get a game that lasts years, because it could be a Calladooty situation where they just keep developing the game and releasing new content (that we have to keep paying for, but whatev) in perpetuity.

Kontradaz posted:

This is such bullshit. Blood Money was 10x the better game, and I'd rather play Contracts or Silent Assasin any day over this one.

If you use your imagination, those games could last years.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

I get what you're saying, but if there's entire areas and NPC storylines in the level that aren't at all apparent at first glance, and its absolutely impossible to discover everything in one or two run-throughs, to me that qualifies as "more content". If I'm trying to kill a target I've never encountered before, AND the target has their own backstory and routine to figure out, AND it all takes place in an area I didn't even know existed, that's not just playing the same level over and over.

This. It took me a while to find out how to disguise myself as Helmut Kruger, but once I perused that avenue with aplomb I was stunned at what it turned into. That the location is the same is completely irrelevant. You might as well be playing the level for the first time, given what you discover along the way.

Based on the challenges I still need to do, I'm confident there are still two or three completely fresh paths to take that I don't have the slightest clue on how to get to yet.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I had to "cheat" a bit and turn on full opportunities tracking to find out where the heck he goes. I turned it off once I found out. If you're looking for him, your best bet is to start in the dressing room as a stylist and don't let him out of your sight, but let him go through his full routine before you take his outfit. It's surprising.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Chumpion posted:

Yeah it's pretty nifty; if you dress up as him you can even attend that meeting in his place after walking the catwalk and she hands you a bottle of arsenic after filling you in on the mission

Which you can then immediately use to kill her with But you need to be quick and tricky in hiding the body behind a sofa without raising suspicion.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

ed- ^^^ That too.

Strudel Man posted:

What's the point to storing things in trash cans? I thought it might allow you to smuggle items past being frisked, but you can't move the trash cans, so...?

They're just safe stash points out in the open. The first few times I went up to the second floors with the IAGO invitation, I had to come back down to avoid being frisked. You can't pull your gun out without being spotted, but you can put it in a trash can even in direct sight of security without raising suspicion.

A minor detail, but a handy one.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

Can you not start with a remote explosive? I only seem to be able to pick a proximity device...

You get a remote explosive at mastery level 20.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

God, Viktor got stuck at the bar and won't come to my killzone. :smith:

Those Bare Knuckle Boxers are good poo poo. I'd stay at the bar, too.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUthkCQocs0

#killbusey

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

rdsarna posted:

How is the game running for everyone on PC? I have a decent enough rig with an i5 3570k and 980 Ti and the game runs like sh*t in the Paris mission.

I see drops to 35 and rarely does it go about 65. Benchmarking shows a min of 2 FPS!?!? Directx 12 adds 2-3 frames on average but crashes to desktop frequently.

How about the AMD people? Is it better optimized on your GPU?

R9 390 / i7 4.4GHz checking in. It took me a few days to realize my auto-updating drivers didn't auto-update to the Hitman hotfix driver, and after installing that I could actually play Paris instead of it instantly crashing on me, even on DX11. Still, when I had everything at high or max settings at 1080p in Paris, I get low memory warnings left and right (8 GB, but that's the recommended spec) that would cause me to crash out. I didn't want to fight things and just wanted to play the game, so I set things to 720p/medium settings. It runs 60+ like this no problem, as you would hope, but I didn't invest in all of this PC horsepower for nothing.

So yeah, I'm a bit disappointed at the performance at the moment. I'm okay with this for now since the game is great, and because I'm optimistic that things will get smoothed out as things get optimized and DX12 starts working properly.

Zero Karizma posted:

I'm in on this, but I've got a platform question. Sorry if you've answered this already, but are the PS4 "exclusives" worth it? Or are they just extremely minor additions? Basically I want to know if I would be fine grabbing the Xbox version?

I was actually thinking about this last night. The extra target in the level would be nice, but I've already played for 20 hours and have yet to be at a point where I was longing for new content. There's enough to do where you won't miss what the PS4 has, in my opinion.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

J-Spot posted:

I think I would like them better if you could skip levels by completing the forthcoming conditions before they're given to you. One of the early ones had you kill a guy, then kill the guy and hide the body within 60 seconds, then kill the guy and hide the body and do it all in under 5 minutes. Thing is I had already met the other two conditions on the first run so there's no increased challenge or anything, I'm just repeating the same thing over and over again.

I feel the problem with the escalations is that they took a three-step difficulty curve and stretched it out to to five steps. It would be a much tighter experience if they followed this formula:

- One target + complication
- Two targets + complication + additional task
- Three targets + two complications + additional task

This would eliminate redundancies and keep each level of the escalation fresh and somewhat more challenging without adding basic tasks in a replay or relying on stupid-rear end gimmicks like insta-death laser tripwires (ugh). If they really wanted to keep it five levels, keep adding targets to kill in each level up to a max of five, like in Contracts mode.

I enjoy the concept of the escalation contracts, regardless. It's just that some of them feel haphazardly thrown together, as if Allan had to rush to put one together at the last minute because he forgot to add the details. gently caress you, Allan!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

canadianclassic posted:

I haven't beat the Paris scenario yet so I haven't read to much of the thread, but wanted to ask you guys:

What setting are you all using for "opportunities"? I turned them off right away because they seemed to make the game too easy for the first mission, but I'm having trouble getting anywhere with the Paris mission (so far I have an invite to the auction in the VIP area but can't figure out where to go from there). How bad is the "minimal" opportunity setting? Does it still suck all the creativity out of the game?

No. Minimal is a good balance that errs on the side of still requiring you to figure out the important details. There are a lot of little conversations that take place around the level, but the "Opportunity Revealing" popup on the minimal setting lets you know that these particular conversations should be followed up on without holding your hand through the entire process. You can also look through the Opportunity/Intel sections in the game menu to give you additional information that can help you figure things out naturally.

That being said, it's nice that there's still the option to "cheat" when needed. There was one challenge/opportunity that I was spending way too much time on, so I decided to give myself a hint by turning on Full tracking to point me in the right direction. One head-slap later, I turned it back to minimal and went from there.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about opportunities ruining the game for you. They're there to help you have fun, not take the fun away from you.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Snuffman posted:

I'm waiting for all the episodes to be released before I buy it cause the "live" events seem pretty lame?

:shrug:

Yeah it's kind of a drag right now. They add a few escalation missions every week, and recently dropped a load of new challenges, but some of the major features are still weak or don't exist yet. Contracts mode is nowhere near as good as it was in Absolution (though some of that may have to do with there being only one level) and the elusive targets haven't started yet.

On the other hand, I should be pushing well over 40 hours by the time the Italy location is released. There's plenty to do right now, but only in little chunks.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

ymgve posted:

While the area is much larger and better than Paris, I feel the mission this time is hampered by the "Destroy the virus" goal. As far as I can tell there's only two ways to accomplish the objective, and that makes it basically busy work after the first few playthroughs.

This is helped somewhat by being able to start in the underground lab as an unlock. But yeah, it's not ideal being forced to go down there if you had to start at any other point.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

If you want Caruso out of the way within 5 minutes

The first time I played the level, I found the "special" explosive in the ICA Safe Room and immediately spotted how to use it. He was dead before I knew it. The slow build up to the big payoff was delicious.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Pierson posted:

Steam reviews for this game all seem to focus securely on day-one patches

Oops, that reminds me. I need to flip my Steam review from negative to positive. I've yet to deal with any problems with it being always-online so that's not a negative for me (yet), but there were a lot of performance problems that are being ironed out very quickly. Still not perfect, but heading in a positive direction.

Accordion Man posted:

It's funny that they bitch about the episodic nature of the game, when it actually benefits the consumer the most. Because you get these big levels with a plethora of options for around ten bucks a pop and you don't have to commit the whole sixty bucks if you don't want to. Like most episodic adventure games don't even let you buy episodes mostly piecemeal like new Hitman does.

It's amazing how staunch some people are about not wanting to buy the game, even if it's in cheaper bits, because they outright refuse the idea of the episodic model and how it will ruin gaming. No, episodic release formats will not ruin gaming. Bad episodic release formats will ruin gaming. Hitman is probably the best testbed to see if an AAA title can be released in chunks and be a success.

If it's done right, the pros outweigh the cons in the long run. IOI is already talking about the possibility of multiple seasons of the game over a period of years. Can you imagine 15~20 unique levels as expansive as Sapienza?!? Unless you're Activision and have two or three complete studios working on annual Call of Duty releases, the episodic model is the only realistic way a single development team will be able to pull something like that off.

Early days yet, but I'm happy with how things are going so far despite all the problems and am optimistic for the future.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

I get both sides of it, because really if we pay $10 per level, we're going to end up paying $60 for only 6 levels. That's about half as many as the typical Hitman game of the past.

This is a flawed argument because the six/seven Hitman levels we're getting now are orders of magnitude larger and more intricate than past Hitman levels. Sapienza itself could just as easily be thought of three unique settings within a single location. Any one of these areas—the town, the mansion and grounds, or the underground lab—isn't very far away from the scope of a full Hitman level from the original games.

I'd make the same argument with the intro pack episodes. The training boat, the airbase, and Paris is a lot. Certainly more than one Hitman level of the past, probably more like 2½ or 3.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Has anyone been killing people by just subduing them on the new map?????

Yeah, it happens. It's a known bug at this point I think.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

nickmeister posted:

Is there a way to get the lady scientist to go down to the lab? The first time I played, I messed around for a long time and she went down there, but I don't know how I got it to happen.

Destroy the virus first, and she'll make her way down to investigate.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So what's the deal with the remote "destroy the virus" console that requires a dongle? I've knocked out the scientist lady that starts in the church a couple of times now and she doesn't drop it - do you have to have read the note by the console first, like with the bodyguard's cell phone to make the panic room call in Paris? Because every time I actually try that she's already left the church by the time I get there.

I did it by starting at the Harbor location and immediately going to the church. She was in the confession booth, and the opportunity triggered when I could overhear her. I followed her into the morgue and she dropped the dongle after I subdued her.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Zigmidge posted:

This will get buried so fast but it's the kind of selling point I'd put in a game's OP.

This is among the rare few games (GTA V is the only other I personally know of) that has seamless transitioning of controller and mouse/keyboard input allowing the use of mouse and controller simultaneously. Perfect for when you need to quick click a few cops on the face.

Yeah, this is great. I like playing the game with a controller because there really isn't much shooting to do that would require the precision of a mouse. But if I need to snipe something quickly or shoot two targets at once, it's nice to be able to reach over to the mouse and take care of things easily.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Speaking of explosive deaths, this game is unironically really well-made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6b-VmmHo78

"Everything becomes a weapon eventually. You just need to know how and where to point it."

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I recently flipped my Steam review from thumbs down to thumbs up. There is no question that the game is still a bit of a mess technically (why I thumbed it down initially) even though it is improving. But there is absolutely no question that the game is so drat good that it's worth putting up with the hassle of it not always wanting to let you play it.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Even easier is to shoot the virus through the glass. I've used a silenced pistol to get it from the ledge on the other side of the cave, the one with the lone security guard. Took me 6 or 7 shots, but it saved me a trip over to that side.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

ThomasPaine posted:

Where is the __________?

http://hitmanmaps.com/

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

A couple of nights ago I had a dream about performing a hit under elusive target conditions. I killed my dude out in the open, then evaded capture through a series of hilarious bugs.

It was fun.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

That was fun. Brought me a feeling of tension that I wouldn't have in a hit normally. I got hit with a non-target kill when I subdued a bodyguard, so only 4/5 Hitmans for me, but other than that I'm very much looking forward to the upcoming elusives. If they could do this every week or every other week, that would be perfect.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

an AOL chatroom posted:

I agree on the tension. It really made me double-check that all of my angles were covered before taking any action, and even after successfully poisoning his wine and hiding the body, I was nervous right up until the minute I saw the summary screen... though partly because I was afraid the game would randomly lose connectivity and void the attempt for me.

I killed him the same way, and also felt the same way for the same reasons. In fact, when I started the game and was about to start the mission for the first time, my game crashed because of a low memory warning which I've had problems with since day one.

an AOL chatroom posted:

Any idea what happens if your network craps out during an elusive target?

You'll automatically try to reconnect on the spot so you don't get kicked out to the menu. A reason for the release delay of the elusive targets was to try to smooth out the always-online aspect of the game with the you-only-have-one-chance aspect of the elusives, and that's what they came up with.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Yeah, it tells you before you start the contract. The target must be alive for you to restart.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

UrbicaMortis posted:

The best line is the one yelled by suspicious security guys: "Someone's doing stuff they shouldn't!"

"Hey man, you need to start acting your age. How old are you? 46? 48?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I managed to separate and disable his two bodyguards by distracting them into the wine cellar bathroom one at a time, then dragging their bodies across the hall after it emptied to hide them. Fiber wiring the target in the same general area was trivial after that.

I only missed out on Silent Assassin because I was spotted while dragging one of the bodyguards to clean up after killing the target. Not a bug's fault this time, so I'm just angry at myself. Fukkin' Luigi decided to turn around at the exact time I was dumping a body in the boiler room. Curse you, plumber! :argh:

That shot of adrenaline I got when taking out the congressman was glorious. If they do these every other week I'll be thrilled and also might eventually have a heart attack.