Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That is a fantastic combination of incompetence and bravado.

Granted, I don't think I'd trust myself not to trip into that thing and get split open myself, so on the rare occasion I need to split wood, I'll stick with hand tools.

There are people who make and use ones like that without much incident, but none of these stupid youtubers seem to notice the large table they build in front of the wheel so they can steady the log before they put it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40sCGb678sQ

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

JB50 posted:

It's not like log splitters cost a lot. A good gas powered one can be had for a few hundred. Then again, rednecks.

I like the giant screw ones you bolt on to the wheel of an old car to split like 18 inch diameter logs 3+ feet long. They seem a lot safer than the big axe wheels.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

VectorSigma posted:

Uh yeah I did some quick calculations and that's like a 15 kg log being flung at about 100 km/h.

Guy might have survived just a hit from the log, but the crush against the trailer almost certainly shattered his skull.

And that pose on the way down is sign of a bad coma.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

So does anyone remember that guy who showed us the ultra-dangerous coffee cup heater? Then the ultra-dangerous bath water heater?

Yeah...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASnLL6ebaco

Gotta love our good friend Hung Lo Charlie.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

Nitrogen is flammable?

If you have enough lithium or magnesium laying around.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

Heh, nitrogen, stuff that's specifically used because it's so loving inert, and people think it's a fire hazard?

I mean yes, everything is flammable with enough fluorine, but :lol:.

Of course basically anything containing nitrogen that isn't nitrogen gas longs to one day become an expanding cloud of hot N2

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

"We couldn't add any extra weight!"

Which is why the only thing keeping him from pitching face-first into the blades is some kind thoughts, I guess?

You can barely see it but there's some thin netting as the only thing remotely resembling a safety feature.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

Next time if there's some nasty screw-up that's not fixed in a reasonable period of time, you may be able to hold your rent in escrow with your local court until they fix the problem, especially if it's a serious safety issue you've documented. Check your state/municipality's applicable laws on this. (I would only do that as a last resort as it's a very provocative move. I'd only pull that if you're not planning on staying there in the long run.)

That varies a lot by jurisdiction. In my state you have to have 2 years residence, 90 days non compliance and there's an annual limit that isn't a month's rent for anything but the shadiest country hovel.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wow. What state is this? It's like a slumlord's dream come true.

In my state, for minor things a landlord has 30 days to fix it, and then a tenant can pay for the repair themselves and deduct the cost from next month's rent, though it is only up to half a month's rent.

But for major things, like a burst water pipe, (and I'd like to think water leaking through an electrical fixture,) you can just completely withhold the next month's rent after giving them a "reasonable" amount of time to fix it and notifying them in writing. No deatails on what a "reasonable" amount of time is:

Certainly no cost limit for major issues, and none of those "have to have lived there for two years" BS.

Looks like it changed in the last 5 years. Now it's major code violations only, 6 months residence, a written inspection report if the landlord disputes the claim, 14 days notice and the greater of half a month's rent or $300 to fix it yourself here in the great state of Misery.

If you withhold rent for anything less (including not fixing it yourself) you can be evicted.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 3, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Orgophlax posted:

lost it at this

Yep. The best PPE for a ClF3 fire is a good pair of running shoes. Ignition is a drat funny book and it's a shame that it's basically impossible to obtain legally.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

On the bright side, you can straight up pirate it via the author's Wikipedia article at the moment.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

mostlygray posted:

240V is common on farms and you do need a good multimeter to troubleshoot issues with dryer fans, mills, seed cleaning equipment, etc. It seems like you're always rewiring live cable. You don't have time to find the breaker that could be 100 ft away. You just do it live and make sure that you don't earth. Though you always end up making a mistake.

Yes, 240V hurts like a motherfucker. 110 is like a kiss on the cheek from the love of your life compared to 240. I'd never mess with anything over 240. It's just not worth it unless you're getting paid.

Everyone I ever knew who worked in industry had plenty of stories about people working on 110 whose hands involuntarily clamped down on the lines when they were shocked and died from the prolonged current.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Therac-25 cases a few years before were pretty interesting. A software bug no one noticed because previous Theracs had hardware interlocks preventing this from happening caused patients intended to get short bursts of diffused 5 MeV electrons to get several continuous narrow beams of 25+ MeV ones. The narrow beams were supposed to strike a plate that would give off x-rays but since they weren't in x-ray mode the target wasn't there and people got cooked in several hospitals from 1985-1987. The net result was over 100 times the intended dose, killing 3 people and injuring several others before the machines were recalled.

Even better, the problem had been reported during development but the engineers blew it off as impossible.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 6, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hobnob posted:

Persistent rumour in those days was that the explosives recipes in that book had been deliberately edited (by THEM, presumably) so they would be dangerously unstable and explode as you tried to make them.

I wonder if any competent chemist or other expert has gone through the book to see if that was actually true.

The original was a bunch of unedited and untested bullshit compiled by some kid out of stuff he dug up in a public library in the late 60s. Hanlon's Razor is in full effect here. A few years ago the FBI released their files on the subject, which you can download in pdf form here. It's mostly responses to concerned letters they received shortly after publication and some memos about whether there was anything illegal about printing it. There's also some discussion about the many copycats online.

The FBI's initial analysis was that "From a technical standpoint, it is for the most part accurate but tends to over-simplify in many instances." The drug chapter is half fantasy and half stuff out of patent applications and chemical journals. The combat chapter is barely enough to springboard your own research. The bomb recipes, while generally correct, are not always complete and thus pose more of a hazard to the attacker than attackee.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 10, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

All I know is that I want a local MEAT DEALER, there aren't any real butchers around here

My town finally got one like 2 weeks ago.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TTerrible posted:

These guys are loving morons. Holy poo poo.

Yes, dude I'm sure someone totally got decapitated by an exploding aerosol can. What.

An exploding keg, which is a bit more believable if, say, one of the ends blew off just right.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63jZElXk9HM
"I'm just gonna make some napalm for these wasps"

Check out his channel. He has dozens of videos of his experimental homegroan gratuitously high voltage wasp zapper and other stupid things he tries to kill them with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dwfh2VRBmY
Here he is using the flyback off an old tv to power the drat thing. A good lesson in why you don't gently caress with such a beasty.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 19, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Posting to rescue Chief Savage Man from the depths of stupid forums bugs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FIRST TIME posted:

Isn't that basically what happened to that 8 year old who accidentally shot himself at a gun show? Except it was an Uzi?

Also, the 9 year old who accidentally shot the instructor in Nevada.

Yeah, it's just funnier when it happens to a grown adult with a comically oversized revolver or rifle.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

Isn't it true that given enough power, anything is a conductor, even rubber?

Hard rubber has an order of magnitude lower resistivity (resistance per thickness) than air at room temperature. It's still something like 100 gigohms for a centimeter thickness but if it can arc rubber won't help. When you get in the hundreds of kilovolts that stops mattering due to air's lower breakdown voltage.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 21, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

BattleMaster posted:

It's not conduction when it's in a vacuum but it's electrons breaking free and travelling through space. It can happen at lower voltages if the metal is hot which was done on purpose in vacuum tube electronics and cathode ray tubes. It can also happen if the metal has a sharp point where the local electric field is strong enough to start pulling electrons off.

Even an ideal vacuum will breakdown and theoretically conduct under a ludicrously high voltage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

I vaguely remembered this one from Ignition! but I don't think I remembered its byproducts.

OK, your poo poo's on fire and releasing acid in the form of steam when it hits water. The running shoe advice is looking better and better.

Yeah, ClF3 is hypergolic with basically anything that isn't a metal and leaves all kinds of fun and exciting chlorine and fluorine species in the process. And those metals aren't safe if something prevents them from forming a protective patina.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I like the part where their PPE only bought them a few seconds.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Krinkle posted:

What is it scouring off those metal parts? Old paint, or rust?

Yes

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Don't go taking apart any smoke detectors, though.

That's mostly just a weak alpha emitter. Don't eat it and you're fine. There's also barely any in there because americium-241 is hilariously expensive.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E12nnpWc5c

This does not seem like something you should be doing if you need to watch a Youtube vid to learn how to do it

The original version was worse.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pingiivi posted:

So basically in normal, not left for crazy dudes with too much money, use these silos would've also collected some water and they needed to be pumped out regularly?

That's the natural state of deep holes in the midwest.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

JoelJoel posted:

The conspiracy crowd have taken to drinking high concentration H2O2 (I think they think oxygen is nitrogen) so I wouldn't put it past some wacko blogger to extol the health benefits of drinking quick silver.

Content:

I'm no battery engineer, but I don't think a puddle on the shop floor is the best place to store dead batteries.

IIRC ingestion of liquid mercury has a bunch of random uses in traditional Chinese medicine. It goes straight through you without really doing much and can be reclaimed on the other side. And it comes up with some regularity among people thinking it'll make them live forever.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Metallic mercury will react with a number of different acids (e.g. hydrochloric acid in your stomach) to produce small amounts of organic mercury compounds that are handily absorbed into your bloodstream.

Yeah, forgot a "supposedly" in there somewhere.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

And then you learn about the wonderful world of hypergols, where you don't even need to ignite them. Just mix em, and they'll do the rest.

The world where godawful poo poo like FOOF and chlorine trifluoride were seriously considered as propellants.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

mostlygray posted:

Roundabouts are the worst thing ever. You have to make a full lap to read the signs and they make you lose your orientation when there's no sun. I've got a good sense of direction in general, but roundabouts make me lose my poo poo.

If you live in the Twin Cities, see "Opus Circles of Death." They're not roundabouts, but you lose your orientation when you go through.

My "favorite" is the diverging diamond interchange on 13 and I-44 in Springfield, MO. I'm still shocked there aren't more head on collisions between people who don't know what's going on there. Any exit looks like a game of chicken.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 7, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Roadworthiness every 2 years starting 5 past the model year in Missouri. Emissions are only checked if you live near St Louis.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

I think all the gas hoses in the 'States have a disconnector on them so there's no spill if someone drives off with the nozzle still inserted.

All the ones I've ever seen, anyway. I wouldn't be surprised it it's a state by state thing and somewhere like Wyoming lacks them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ak Gara posted:

Seems like it would be both safer and quicker to just use a 2 man saw.

good loving luck keeping a long cut along a not quite even log straight that way.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, there's a thousand and 1 ways hew a beam but in the end someone's notching a log and shaving off what's left. The lack of ppe probably comes down to the state of traditional Japanese footwear and trying to keep balance on the curved edge of the log.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b9ZYt6MzHc&t=653s

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

* Not sure if I should translate the word as manure or fertilizer.

Probably the latter unless you're talking actual animal poo poo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's too good, are we sure someone didn't just find some construction nightmares photos and is subtly trolling the thread? Because that is amazingly terrible.

It's not the OP's first trainwreck in progress post. He had some fun and exciting ideas in the electrical thread during the bedroom remodel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Youtube allows that, but not boobs?

:911: