Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

What am I looking at?

I'm guessing a large dust devil hitting a soft sided truck. I drove through a big one once with my dad when I was a kid. It hit us from the side and everything in the car was lifted out out through the open windows. It was crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Unloading trucks on grade instead of at a dock sucks. Manual pallet jacks don't have brakes so I could see that happening if you're slightly down-grade. I only let my guys do that once when I was a warehouse manager. It was so sketchy that I forbade it afterwards. It's not worth it. Someone will get hurt.

When I had to do it, I had them hand offload instead. That pallet jack is not controllable. It takes way longer, but no-one gets hurt.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

My favourite posts about AM radio tower ever made:

Once, back in the 90's right by the HarMar mall (Twin Cities), I thought I was going insane.

I was about 11. I was sitting in the back seat of the car and I told my parents to turn off the radio. They said it was off. I said, "but I hear voices". They insisted everything was off. I kept insisting that the voices needed to stop. Finally, I realized that I could hear the voices in just about anything metal in the car just by leaning my head against it. The whole car was acting as a receiver. That station must have been over powered that day beyond belief or there was a bad ground somewhere.

CSB

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Elliot2lazy posted:

If you operate or plan to operate a forklift you will probably learn more from this spoof vid than any bullshit 80's video they give u to watch.
It gets better after the first min or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

This is very true. The first time I drove a forklift, I got my rear end handed to me when I had the forks too high. Staplerfahrer Klaus is probably the best training video of all time.

My un-asked advise follows:

Forks as low as possible.
Sound your horn when crossing a blind entrance or any time you go between rows.
Operate in reverse whenever possible (you need visibility when you have a skid on)
If you have a cage, wear your seat belt and brace if you tip. If you don't have a cage, never wear your seat belt and make sure to jump.
Know where you are and your load limits. You can tip if you're heavy and high.
Never, ever, ever leave a knife or any detritus on top of a skid.
Slow the gently caress down. You're not trying to beat any speed records and tipping a pallet makes everything worse.
Plug if you can. Avoid using the brakes. Plugging saves you time on the charger if it's electric and the stop is smoother.
Tip back to secure the load as long as it's not unstable..
Look at the pallets before you lift the skid. Sometimes they are so bad that they come apart. Especially the chipboard ones. If they do, pick them up, bash out all the supports, put a good pallet upside-down underneath it, set it down in the cutouts, and then pick it up again the right way.
If your vendor loads using slip sheets, curse them and then get your biggest guys to help with the lifting and loading.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

I'm sure I've posted regarding this before, but family farms are the worst places for safety violations. They are exempt from most requirements and your equipment is usually terrible. A neighbor of ours was de-gloved from one ankle to the other, including his genitals, because he stepped over a running PTO with loose pants. Unfortunately, he lived. I'm sure his life is hell. Never gently caress with a spinning shaft.

The thing is, farmers always remove all the safety equipment on their tools or implements. It slows you down. You just have to be very, very careful at all times.

I was always impressed by my Grandfathers wisdom on safety. Signal the operator of the machine with a whistle. He/she can't hear anything else. Wait to see that they put the machine in neutral or shut it off before approaching. Check your fluid, check your hydraulics, check your brakes. Don't use the brakes except for steering and coming to a complete halt. Use the throttle and keep it in gear. Always say out loud what you are doing so everyone around you knows. Even if it's just "I'm walking to your right!" Trust me, it makes a difference.

Remember, when helping a farmer, "Ho!" is the correct call to stop whatever they are doing. "Stop" doesn't work. It can have multiple meanings. "Ho" is the equivalent of the Airforce's "Knock it off."

Content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhvJ-eZHlGw
Skip to 1:04 for quality driving.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

tater_salad posted:

This is a good display as to why you wear a harness even if "I walk around all day on these things and never have a problem"

This is classic built up stress in a material. It looks stable but it has to release the twist when the load comes off.

Last summer, my dad decided to limb a tree and I told him that there is likely a twist in the 200 year old large branch and to do it carefully. He decided to stick a ladder up and start cutting and ignore me. Unfortunately, this was over the phone.

It threw him a good 10 feet. Thankfully he threw the chainsaw away from himself as he fell. His arm was all chewed up from the branch snapping back at him. Remember, both trees and steel are alive and they'll kick your rear end when the tension comes off.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Humphreys posted:

I was sent to check on some stuff at another site my employee owns. Went into the warehouse and it was dark, like no lighting at all except what came through the roller doors. Funnily enough the side door I entered put me in the racks and racks of spare lighting bulbs they kept in stock.

Also trying to find the fire hose reel to inspect it took a while - someone put a filing cabinet in front of it and as it has a flat surface on top - idiots think its now a shelf and piled more crap on top!

Someone not wearing high-vis and sneakers instead of boots operating one of those mini forklifts you walk around.

A mechanic leaning on the cage all the gas bottles are stored in the back lot having a cigarette.

And the best - a guy standing on a pallet, lifted up 2 levels fixing some guttering by a forklift with no fall restraints.

My last day before easter break turned into a safety breach writing marathon.

I need a beer. (also on that - i saw many many beer bottles in one of the general waste skipbins.

I can't even tell you how many times I rode a pallet up to the ceiling in my warehouse to change a light bulb or fix cabling. Just jump on the pallets until you find a good one and then up you go. It's hard to keep your balance when you're looking straight up. You just have to try to forget how high up you are and hold onto a ceiling beam as you look back down so you don't lose your balance. This was years ago. I was a warehouse manager for almost 7 years and never heard boo from OSHA.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

So it's safe as long as you don't fall off, right?

That's the trick. Same as roofing, you don't get hurt if you don't fall off.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

JB50 posted:

Thats just a double deep pallet jack, not a forkilft.

To be pedantic, it's a "stand-up rider". Because it is powered, one would usually still call it a "fork truck" but not a "fork lift"

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

zedprime posted:

Dual drive controls are expensive.

I think its supposed to be the lesser evil. A trained driver is supposed to be able to see and operate just as well over his shoulder so it becomes an ergonomic concern. Ideally a forklift job is one where the majority of time is spent operating looking forward. Like all or most of the loads being easy pallet pick ups long distance in the forward direction because you can see over the load, and if its an obscuring load, its an exception. Or if regularly obscuring, more time is spent picking up and setting down than the transport in between.

If you're spending more time in the transport phase looking back, a towing system could be indicated to prevent neck and back strain.

But really, lol at the idea of a trained forklift driver and lol at them spending money on the extra hands to make towing expedient.

I used to be a warehouse manager, you drive backwards for visibility, but where you need accuracy is forward. Dual controls would be horrible. Honestly, it would slow you down. You never drive forward across the rows, but once the load is in the air you have good visibility forward.

It seems unpleasant to look over your shoulder but it isn't that bad. You kind of twist your hips and it's almost like how you would lay on a chaise lounge sideways. You always use plugging so you don't have to worry about brakes and you never wear your belt. I should qualify that OSHA requires that you wear your belt but it's ridiculous. You couldn't get a thing done. When you get certified, you have to pretend to do it the OSHA way. The thing is, you can't put your arm outside the side guards per the rules so you have to crane your neck. It sucks. OSHA actually makes it worse to operate a forklift when it comes to backing.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

jetz0r posted:

Sticking your hand under a hydraulic press definitely belongs in the OSHA thread.

Oh my god yes! I saw him place his hand under there with the pump still on and actually slammed my hand on the mouse hard enough to knock the batteries out and yelled "Hands off!" My dog came running. For the love of Christ, where are the safety cutoffs? He should have two levers very far apart so he can't get in the press, or at minimum, a laser interrupter.

Though amusing, this guy is crush amputation waiting to happen.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've only worked with forklifts for a little over ten years but I've never seen one where the forks weren't kept in place by, you know, gravity even if you undid the catch.

tl;dr: you're forklift was a piece of poo poo.

It can happen due to operator error. I have seen someone hook the forks up where only gravity and luck is holding one of them. If you don't have the top and bottom catches fully engaged, they can fall off if you smack the bottom of the fork. You have to be completely incompetent to do this, but it can be done with sheer talent.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Smirk posted:

...I wonder why they couldn't retrieve it from the drill and reattach it, rather than taking skin from elsewhere.

Likely it would be covered in grease and machine oil. Probably not salvageable. When I was in college, we used to put a chuck key in the chuck of a drill press to make a vibrating table for getting rid of air bubbles in silicon molds. That drill press wasn't good for anything else. It was a garbage machine that barely worked.

One day, a fellow student decided to lean over and look at his mold and the machine caught his hair. Thank Christ that his hair came off. He did get pulled into the machine and bang his head, but he didn't lose his scalp. All of us were so relieved that we didn't have what that video showed happen to him. We then chewed his rear end off for not paying attention.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

Best practice when working on old diesels is to have something that can quickly and easily block the air intake(s) completely. A piece of wood will do, even a damp rag to stuff in the throttle body, but have something ready. Another option is to block the exhaust or even, so I have heard, crimp the exhaust by bending or crushing it.

If you guys killing time with runaway videos haven't seen one yet, search for "train diesel runaway" for something next-level terrifying.

Use a plank over the intake. A diesel will pull anything soft straight through the exhaust. It will eat a phone book, poo poo it out the back, and keep going. Someone else mentioned a CO2 extinguisher. That will work if there's enough charge to give the machine enough time to stop turning. Hydro-locking the engine will work but it will tear itself apart and ruin it. Best is to make sure that the turbo or head doesn't have an oil leak before turning it over.

Another good option is to run away and just let the engine destroy itself. It's probably hosed at that point anyway. An engine with a redline of 1800 rpm is probably not OK at 8000 rpm. Thank god I've never had it happen to me. I'd be pissing myself if it happened out of nowhere.

Remember, equipment can be replaced, you can't.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Nitrox posted:

How often will anyone who is not an electrician, even have access to more than 220V? Most people will use multimeters to troubleshoot their brake lights. The harbour freight coupon special is great for that

240V is common on farms and you do need a good multimeter to troubleshoot issues with dryer fans, mills, seed cleaning equipment, etc. It seems like you're always rewiring live cable. You don't have time to find the breaker that could be 100 ft away. You just do it live and make sure that you don't earth. Though you always end up making a mistake.

Yes, 240V hurts like a motherfucker. 110 is like a kiss on the cheek from the love of your life compared to 240. I'd never mess with anything over 240. It's just not worth it unless you're getting paid.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Everyone I ever knew who worked in industry had plenty of stories about people working on 110 whose hands involuntarily clamped down on the lines when they were shocked and died from the prolonged current.

For sure. That's why you always wear good boots and work with only one hand on equipment that's live. Tuck the other hand into your belt so you don't forget. That's pretty non OSHA, but it tends to work. At least you only burn your hand that way.

Speaking of being un-isolated, my father was welding in the hopper of a combine once and I was sitting below turning the welder off and on for him. The whole combine was grounded. He forgot, and grabbed the rod to change it instead of telling me to turn it off first.

I heard the sound of a grounded out rod from the machine and shut it off. He said "thank you". He was getting 100 amps through his body and out his rear end and couldn't let go. He's lucky he didn't die.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Why did the machine run when open?
It seems to me that it shouldn't run with guard open or at least have a pedal that makes the press run so you can stop it from crushing your head.

It's clear that the door is "field expedient". Normally machinery like that is covered in guards and lockouts. For the stamping presses used by the company my buddy runs, he used to use 2 levers that are pulled with 2 hands, far too apart to get your body in the way, that would engage the press so you couldn't possibly get stuck in the machine. He then switched to an IR sensor interrupt that would emergency stop, then lock out the machine allowing for a single button press if you ever broke the plane of the gate. Apparently that's the new cool thing.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

This reminds me of the old anarchist cookbook in the pre-internet days. One of the projects involved rigging a phone to plug into a wall socket to fry someones BBS hardware. Even in my youth I knew that was really a stupid thing that could probably never work.

The Blotto box is the one I remember from Jolly Rogers Cookbook. Wire a generator back into the phone lines at the box. You'll cook every phone within a quarter mile and possibly kill people. I don't think anyone ever actually tried it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

tater_salad posted:

ugh that sucks, dude was just probably an eager dude who wanted to help and didn't realize he was making an acetone bomb.

An uncle of a friend of mine blew himself up trying to weld a fitting to an old gas tank to make a pressure tank for an air compressor. He was killed instantly.

I don't understand how it's possible, but no amount of rinsing will make a fuel tank safe to weld. I was always told that, if you were going to weld or braze a fuel tank, to fill it to the brim with water first. I'd never risk it myself.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Jubilex posted:

Back onto fork chat, someone's in deep trouble at work, since this went unreported and unfixed over a weekend.

That's par for the course in a warehouse. No one will admit to damaging anything. I used to tell my guys when I was a warehouse manager, "Just tell me if you break something." I don't care, I know it was a mistake, I just need to know. They never would. They were so afraid of being punished, even though I never punished anyone for mistakes, they would clam up.

I once noticed that a security camera had been moved so that it no longer covered an area of high value product. I asked everyone if they had moved it. No, no, no... is all I got. I became paranoid that someone was stealing as the items being covered were small with hundreds of SKUs and would have taken a shutdown to do a physical inventory. The camera was set about 15 feet high on a column so I knew that it would take purpose to move it.

I didn't know what time it had happened, so I had to watch security footage for forever to determine that one of my forklift drivers had nailed the column hard enough to jog the camera over and tried to pretend that it didn't happen. Just loving tell me! I won't punish you! I just need to know. You're not a baby! I won't give you a spanking.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Volcott posted:

Wildly disproportionate punishments for not telling you when the gently caress up and headpats when they do.

They were all hard workers, just reliable third time losers. They showed up on time and were the best crew I'd had in 10 years. That is about the best you could hope for with the salaries that we paid. I wasn't allowed to do the hiring, only management of the staff. We once had 8 employees disappear one day due to immigration issues. Another staff member we had looked like a hard-time criminal gang member. He constantly said "Don't judge me because of my looks." His mom called us to tell us that he had stolen product from our warehouse. He even said "Don't judge me." as he ran in circles around the outside of the warehouse until my co-manager caught him cartoon style. No charges, we just made him do the walk of shame to his mom's car when she came to pick him up. He must have been about 40 years old.

Had a guy put the mast through the top of a truck once, that was fun for our insurance. Another dude decided to try to drive onto a truck without the dock plate. Took a dozen guys and many prying implements to get him unstuck. Another dude took out a support column for a mezzanine we had. Knocked it a foot back and we had to evacuate the room for safety.

Trust me, if a guys worst sin is bumping a pole a little bit, they're probably the best staff member you've ever had.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Mozi posted:

I may not know how to fall a tree, but I think now I know how not to fall a tree.

Anti-Schadenfreude re:OSHA. I hired a man to cut a tree last winter that was about 60 feet tall and 4 feet from my house. He did so safely, and went home at the end of the day without issue for about 1/2 what I expected to pay. Rare to find someone who just does a good job and nothing else.

Apropos of nothing, I used to live and work around bears all the time up in Greaney, MN. The bears were always cool if you knew them but everyone I show this video to feels like it's unsafe. What can a guy do? I never had trouble...

I used to have to weed-whip around a few of Vince's bears at a resort that I did grounds-keeping for as a kid. I was required to shoo or work around bears. They were all nice and were happy to get out of the way when asked. We never fed them, they just liked the resort. They had a pretty cool spot to sit on the canoes.

Vince on WCCO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSz4Y-LVk4I

Vince was a good guy and I miss him and I miss Duffy (if you know who that is, awesome!) Vince's bears were my friends back when I was in high school.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Not on an escalator, 2/10

I will say that Little Giant ladders kick rear end. I'm a "gentleman of size", and I've had adjustable ladders break on me. Little Giants are amazingly strong. There's one at my work that I use from time to time and it blows my mind how stiff it is.

For content:

When I was a kid, we had one of these fellows set up for picking up windrows instead of straight cutting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwBraC4PXJQ
We used to use a chaff saver (another dangerous device) and then fork the chaff back through the combine to save anything that wasn't stripped. My job as a child was to put my hand on the header clutch and, if my father or our hired man were to fall into the header, I was to pull the clutch lever. Keep in mind that I would only be saving the back half of the person.

First there are the spiky things, then the smashy things, then the slicy things, then the feed spiky things. It took about 7 seconds for the whole assembly to stop so I was really there to save the seed, not the person.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

JB50 posted:

Ive had metal splinters in my that started rusting before. Had to go to the Dr. and he picked them out with a hypodermic needle.

I had a friend that had a piece of metal stuck in his eye from using a file. You could see it sparkle when you pointed a flashlight at it. The doc used a scalpel to pick it out. My buddy said it was the most uncomfortable process ever. The doc used numbing drops so it didn't hurt, it was just freaky as hell. He always wore safety glasses for metalwork afterwards.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Scruff McGruff posted:

I can't find it now but I remember some industrial planner wrote a really neat article about The Abyss explaining that the issue at the end where under the yellow light from his suit Ed Harris couldn't tell the difference between the blue wire with white stripe and the black wire with yellow stripe should never have happened because planning wire colors is actually a pretty huge and basic part of industrial engineering/design and it should have been built with a solid wire and a striped wire instead of two similarly colored striped wires. Of course, that's in a perfect world where people are competent and companies don't cut corners.

Speaking of wire colors, I'm red/green color blind. Green, brown, red, orange all look the same depending on shade and context. Also, blue and purple look the same. I swear that no devices take red/green color blindness into consideration. When your server has an indicator light that says green=good, amber=notification, red=failure, I can't tell the difference at all. It wouldn't be hard to engineer the equipment to take into account the 1 in 10 people that are the same as me.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

not bad.
Having a better monitor would probably make a huge difference.

I got 141! I've got awesome color vision!

I had to use density rather than color. Every bar looked like the same color to me. I literally don't have a name for any of the colors shown.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

A classmate of mine from high-school was killed due to a picker hitting an overhead transmission power line while they were logging. The tires on the truck caught on fire as it was winter and the snow was deep enough to make a circuit. He saw the fire and had no idea what the problem was. He grabbed the fire extinguisher on the side of the truck and was dead instantaneously. The other loggers tried CPR until an ambulance showed up, but he was DRT.

They guys that attempted CPR are lucky they didn't die themselves.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah assuming it's not a catastrophic pressure-main failure (and you loving know when those happen, it's biblical) it's just finding its way out through the existing cracks.

It will eventually undermine the road but it'll get fixed before that's likely to be an issue. The bigger problem is when they fix it in a hurry and don't let the substrate dry before relaying the road so the ground settles under the (new/well-repaired) pipe and causes it to crack further on. Then they fix that in a hurry, rinse, repeat, and find out why there's been at least one lane closed of the road outside my house for the last loving year.

In Cook MN the water tower broke one winter at 40 below or more. It dumped all its water at once. Every street beneath was coated in about 6" of ice. Cars were frozen to the ground.

/CSB

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

MrYenko posted:

So much adrenaline that he stops to make a video.

:black101:

That come-down on the way to the hospital is going to suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Adrenaline is great. That's why you pull out a jacked up finger as quick as you can to set it. You only have a few minutes before it hurts so bad you want to cry.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Alereon posted:

Don't do this if any bones may be broken though, you will make it much more difficult to heal properly. I needed $30,000 worth of surgery from a Harvard-trained hand surgeon and I'm still not back to 100%, and it may not have been that bad if I hadn't tried to set my fingers (two turned out to be broken, two were just dislocated and set fine). I don't even have a cool story, I just tripped on the sidewalk after leaving work :(

I fell on a stack of logs. It was lame. I shouldn't have been on them in the first place. Just being a dumb-rear end kid. Having two fingers sideways should have a better story.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Fasdar posted:

Roundabouts are amazing and are safer even when people use them incorrectly. When used well they are a marvel of cultural development. Fight me.

Roundabouts are the worst thing ever. You have to make a full lap to read the signs and they make you lose your orientation when there's no sun. I've got a good sense of direction in general, but roundabouts make me lose my poo poo.

If you live in the Twin Cities, see "Opus Circles of Death." They're not roundabouts, but you lose your orientation when you go through.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Blacknose posted:

I don't think you're doing it right. At all.

I think it's more that the implementation of roundabouts in Minnesota is lovely. Poor signage, etc. There are a bunch of roundabouts under Hwy 169 where the main route on W 78th is very poorly labeled. The road jogs around a lot and the signs are all for roads that don't go where any human being would want to go. They're also used to slow traffic instead of being useful. I understand them when 7 roads meet, but these are 4 way interchanges. A stop sign works fine.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

My "favorite" is the diverging diamond interchange on 13 and I-44 in Springfield, MO. I'm still shocked there aren't more head on collisions between people who don't know what's going on there. Any exit looks like a game of chicken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5JtZMPTNAY

That is straight up madness!

Everything I said about roundabouts is wrong. I want them everywhere.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Javid posted:

Costco stores hoard their pallets in an empty trailer until it's full then some lucky route driver gets to take them back to the DC as his backhaul. Getting paid loaded mileage to carry a trailer that's barely got any weight in it like that is a good day.

Back when I was a warehouse manager, I never spent a penny on pallets. Whenever we needed pallets, I'd get them from UPS. They always had leftovers. We'd stack the lovely ones outside and our cardboard guy would take them for firewood or neighboring warehouses would steal them.

Pallets are a strange commodity in the shipping industry. I once got a pallet that was made of 3/4" Baltic birch. I made two nice boxes out of it. It must have been a $50 pallet.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

GPF posted:

When I was in the Army, I worked on the Apache AH-64A attack helicopter. My specialty was wiring, but I also was in charge of the Ground Power Unit, a jet engine in a box that generated power, air flow, and hydraulic pressure for an Apache on the ground. The pressure was over 1000psi in the system that ran all the hydraulic stuff, including moving the gun around.

There were a few times that I swung cloth in front of me to see if there was a hydraulic leak. Never found a high pressure one, though.

I may have mentioned it before, but I once lost a hydraulic control line on our Ford 8600 back when I was a kid on the farm. It started spraying but I couldn't find where it was spraying from. Like an idiot, I reached my hand behind the left set of duals, with the tractor running, to feel for it. My grandpa, who was working with me, grabbed me by the shoulder and threw me back before I could cut my fingers off.

Like a fool, I'd left the control lever up and it was at full pressure. I have fingers on both hands thanks to him.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

Idiot tries to prove something?

http://i.imgur.com/Hjm0UDf.gifv

For the billionth time and I don't care that I've said it before. A spinning shaft is terrifying. A scared dog, a Tyrannosaurs Rex, a storm at sea, a moonless night, the anger of a gentle man, the horror of a child having fallen from the back of a truck on the highway, 400v with both hands touching and you're not isolated, 2,000lbs of ANFO blowing up, etc.

None of these are anything like the fear of a spinning shaft.

Yes, I copped a couple of lines but, as my grandpa and father always said: "respect a spinning shaft." I don't care if you crush your hand in a press, I don't care if you cut your hand in a water cutter, I don't care if you carelessly lose a toe from a 1,000lb drop, your lost thumb from a saw is fine.

However: Don't get near a spinning shaft. I don't care that I always say it. I'll keep saying it. I'll tell you again tomorrow when I check the thread. My father and my grandfather never stopped saying it.

Don't get near a spinning shaft.

My ring hand got clicked on lathe once, only once. I never wore a ring again at a lathe. I have told this story before and don't care if you've seen it. But it's important and should be endlessly repeated.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

The right kind of snow will cling to a metal roof no problem though, unless it's really steep.

e: Cool story though.

My dad put a steel roof on my childhood house some years ago. He still has to shovel it sometimes. He went off it rear end-over-tit a couple of years ago. The snow was deep so the only thing hurt was his pride. Steel roofs are great but they suck to try to walk on. No traction.

But still, there's nothing wrong with having a 100 year roof.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

...I would treat that system like it's dangerous until proven otherwise.

I just realized that we had a good OSHA moment today at work with wiring. We had a lamp that would flicker in one room when a machine was used in the other. The overhead florescents would also flicker which makes no sense. An electrician for the building came in and spent an hour yelling at his apprentice for his idiocy while he fixed it.

That circuit included our lobby, a treatment room, the overhead lights, and THE loving ELEVATOR in the common area. It should have tripped the breaker but it somehow didn't. I assume it was powering the controls of the elevator as there's no way that a hydraulic elevator runs off 110v.

I don't know how he hosed it up that bad. I don't even know how it's possible. Then again, my grandfather wired a 110v circuit to put out a consistent 23.5v for no good reason. He's dead now so I can't ask. I just found it the other day with my multi-meter.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Could be for a doorbell.

Except it's wired to a regular plug to the right of the stove. The house has no doorbell but maybe he had plans for one. He would have wired it in the 50's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Electric clock? Some of them ran on that voltage. In particular, master-slave clocks often ran at 24DC. Would he have had access to office/factory salvage?

He worked in a steel mill so definitely.