Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

symbolic posted:

just use Spotify you gently caress

This is normally what I'd say, but knowing that I can't use Spotify in my workplace (where other people hear it) for two reasons:

- Spotify doesn't have a language filter
- their clean/radio edit selection sucks and I like my job

With that said, Winamp, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

This is normally what I'd say, but knowing that I can't use Spotify in my workplace (where other people hear it) for two reasons:

- Spotify doesn't have a language filter
- their clean/radio edit selection sucks and I like my job

Lmfaoo what the hell? You can't wear headphones, so you're presumably working in a shop or warehouse or something? What kind of blue collar workplace gets mad about swearing on the radio?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

real_slime posted:

the way ahead with this SHOULD be just individual websites connected on hubs where you buy music or whatever it is directly from the creator for a reasonable price that drives sales like say 5 bucks an album, straight to them after whatever payment/hub system they use takes a small cut
this makes so much sense that it will never happen

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Chinatown posted:

i too remember 2002

can't improve on perfection

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
I, too, consider the economic implications of every decision I make, and would never subscribe to Spotify on the basis that 10 bucks a month to never having to worry about buying or organizing music seems worth it.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Skeleton Ape posted:

Kind of presumptuous, the op did NOT specify that he was autistic.

even though foobar is VERY autistic, it is still better than everything else because everything else is that terrible

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is the only music player you need

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Y-Hat posted:

this makes so much sense that it will never happen

Bandcamp son

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
http://getmusicbee.com/

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

code:
$ mplayer duckjob.wav &
$ alsamixer

up
up
up
up
up
up

up

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Bill Barber posted:

Winamp OP. It really whips the llamas arse.

this but unironically

it's software for people too spergy for iTunes but not spergy enough to use Foobar

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

I use music bee since it has a plugin or something that lets me use my phone to control it. If I didn't care about that I'd still be using winamp

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
and Foobar is just pure distilled autism

the music player for people who actually hate music and love configuring music library software

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

AugmentedVision posted:

Who the gently caress actually has music saved on their computer in TYOOL2016?

You'll be hosed and have no music without Internet access

that's why we save poo poo on comps in tee-yool twenty sixteen

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

and Foobar is just pure distilled autism

the music player for people who actually hate music and love configuring music library software

if you just dont configure it all it's a great no-bullshit music player with a media library and requires no real configuration beyond telling it where your files are

only if you're an autist do you have to spend the next week making it show your album art just right or wahtever

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

That Robot posted:

You'll be hosed and have no music without Internet access

that's why we save poo poo on comps in tee-yool twenty sixteen

If my Internet goes out I can just stream music through cellular network.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

The Goatfather posted:

if you just dont configure it all it's a great no-bullshit music player with a media library and requires no real configuration beyond telling it where your files are

only if you're an autist do you have to spend the next week making it show your album art just right or wahtever

then that sets it apart from winamp, how, then

because winamp can do that and you can set it up to display album art by checking a menu option

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

AugmentedVision posted:

If my Internet goes out I can just stream music through cellular network.

on this note if you use subsonic the client caches however many gigs of music as you tell it to on your phone so if you listen to it again or your 4g blows during rush hour you can play it locally without using any data at all

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

then that sets it apart from winamp, how, then

because winamp can do that and you can set it up to display album art by checking a menu option

ANIME IS BLOOD hates it which is a big bonus for me

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Why does everyone like Spotify, DRM'd music is OK now? :gerty:

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Maldoror posted:

Why does everyone like Spotify, DRM'd music is OK now? :gerty:

I'm the guy that's too autistic to understand the difference between buying a DRMed album and subscribing to Spotify.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the answer is that whenever goons are too dumb to figure something out they call the smart goons autists

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Winamp it kicks the llamas rear end.

Foobar used to be decent.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

The Goatfather posted:

the answer is that whenever goons are too dumb to figure something out they call the smart goons autists

You think you are intelligent because you choose to inconvenience yourself with needlessly complicated software.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

i use spotify, because id have to buy a lot of music otherwise, and some of it seems unpirateable because nobody likes it

but spotify really sucks, the program randomly dies or doesnt load all the time, and the same with the phone app

doesnt amazon have a music stream thing maybe ill try that

anyways thanks for reading my post on the comedy forums website

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Winamp. I am just such a loving control freak, I have my music organized by artist and album folders. CD ripper creates an m3u playlist.

I'm so 1997 :D

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Zune

no I'm serious!!

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
winamp cant handle large media collections over a network

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Bea Nanner posted:

winamp cant handle large media collections over a network

thats cool because foobar handles it just fine :sax:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

AugmentedVision posted:

Lmfaoo what the hell? You can't wear headphones, so you're presumably working in a shop or warehouse or something? What kind of blue collar workplace gets mad about swearing on the radio?
IIRC he's a middle school teacher

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
whats with all these wrong choices that don't whip the llama's rear end??

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
XM Play is pretty good if you wanna listen to some oldies.

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

music is for chumps

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Other Barry posted:

whats with all these wrong choices that don't whip the llama's rear end??

i switched from winamp to foobar 12 years ago because winamp kept loving up the song lengths in my VBR files. they probably did something about that 10 years ago when it was still supported but whatever.

foobar was faster and burned CDs without needing to pay money to a company that didn't exist

Feedback Agency
Apr 23, 2014

MutantBlue posted:

music is for chumps

you're a chump

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i use clementine, apart from the bugs apparently no one but me has, it's p good.

also lol at anyone with a genuine interest in music relying entirely on a streaming service.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Any tips for the best place to buy new release music? I want it drm free and in multiple format options but so far the only place I've found that offers that is bandcamp, which has a very limited selection. Google music comes in second because you can at least download the files, but it doesn't offer format choice. It feels like we're rapidly approaching the point where there is little choice but to have your music locked to whatever service you purchased it through or only available for streaming.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i use clementine, apart from the bugs apparently no one but me has, it's p good.

also lol at anyone with a genuine interest in music relying entirely on a streaming service.

plz explain "genuine interest in music"

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

spotify doesn't have poo poo from soundcloud or bandcamp or whatever else music i listen to that isn't under a record label

whip the llama's rear end and get winamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Moon Atari posted:

Any tips for the best place to buy new release music? I want it drm free and in multiple format options but so far the only place I've found that offers that is bandcamp, which has a very limited selection. Google music comes in second because you can at least download the files, but it doesn't offer format choice. It feels like we're rapidly approaching the point where there is little choice but to have your music locked to whatever service you purchased it through or only available for streaming.

Amazon, CDs are cheap and you can rip em how you like.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Entirely? I guess. Spotify/Apple Music==>what.cd==>amazon is an extremely efficient system tho

• Locked thread