Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

HD DAD posted:

If there’s one criticism I can give In Rainbows, it’s that the production was very clean and kinda sterile. Even Bodysnatchers sounds a little too “perfect”.
I think the production is great, I just think they stripped those two songs down a little too far. It's a little hard to say that about Go Slowly because the version on the record is really great, but man, the drums on the live version are so good. The studio recording of Down Is The New Up almost sounds like a demo compared to the version they did live though. It sounds very similar to the 2005 version that Thom recorded for From The Basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I'll forever feel that way about Ful Stop and Identikit. The former was phenomenal live with the album version being very muted and not as magic, and Identikit still baffles me with the embarrassing singing over the synth solo contrasting the dull tone overall. Would adore good quality soundboard recordings of the original versions played on the King of Limbs tour, the album versions just had the life sucked out of them. Hopefully Cut a Smile makes it into a future album (feels like we'll be due one soon but who knows with Covid) and doesn't suffer the same fate because it's already perfect.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

I'll forever feel that way about Ful Stop and Identikit. The former was phenomenal live with the album version being very muted and not as magic, and Identikit still baffles me with the embarrassing singing over the synth solo contrasting the dull tone overall. Would adore good quality soundboard recordings of the original versions played on the King of Limbs tour, the album versions just had the life sucked out of them. Hopefully Cut a Smile makes it into a future album (feels like we'll be due one soon but who knows with Covid) and doesn't suffer the same fate because it's already perfect.
I like both versions of both songs. There's a great quality recording of Identikit 2012 on the Austin City Limits show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRr7S9h5S4A&t=1700s

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for that.

I wonder if the band is doing any writing for a new record right now while cooped-up during Covid? I think that the tour for AMSP was the first to not feature the debut of any new songs? Who knows if it was the last record or not but I have vague memories of members of the band saying they didn't want such a large gap between future releases and I think I read an interview with Thom somewhere talking about how he's starting to enjoy playing guitar again now as well.

I think expecting a new record during Covid is silly (and it will no doubt extend well into 2021 I'm guessing) which could leave us with the largest gap between albums from the band that we've ever seen. They were vocal that the gap between TKOL & AMSP made it hard to get started in the studio because of how long it had been so I hope that this doesn't break the band. Everyone except Colin has been busy releasing albums and soundtracks since AMSP but it seems getting them all together is becoming harder as time passes.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Thanks for that.

I wonder if the band is doing any writing for a new record right now while cooped-up during Covid? I think that the tour for AMSP was the first to not feature the debut of any new songs? Who knows if it was the last record or not but I have vague memories of members of the band saying they didn't want such a large gap between future releases and I think I read an interview with Thom somewhere talking about how he's starting to enjoy playing guitar again now as well.

I think expecting a new record during Covid is silly (and it will no doubt extend well into 2021 I'm guessing) which could leave us with the largest gap between albums from the band that we've ever seen. They were vocal that the gap between TKOL & AMSP made it hard to get started in the studio because of how long it had been so I hope that this doesn't break the band. Everyone except Colin has been busy releasing albums and soundtracks since AMSP but it seems getting them all together is becoming harder as time passes.

I don't expect anything any time soon but I think they'll probably keep going until someone's health fails.

OTOH, Radiohead's MO for recording an album is renting a mansion somewhere, retrofitting it to record and living there for the duration, which lends itself to being safe to do during a pandemic, so it's not insane to think they could have something in the works. Especially since live music probably won't be back until 2022, so no Thom and Ed solo tours to distract them.

Edit: VVVVV My guess is another solo album

Puppy Galaxy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 26, 2020

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.reddit.com/r/radiohead/comments/jhfbaa/this_should_cheer_you_guys_up_thoms_been_busy/

Something is in the works. Thom was being really vague so there's no clue whether this is more solo material or a proper Radiohead release, but still, something could be coming next year.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The fact that Thom specifically referenced recording in his home studio makes me think it's solo material, but I hope I'm wrong. I can't imagine the full band recording an album remotely.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I mean, if they were recording separately, they could just record bits and pieces to be stuck together and looped by Thom and Nigel. It’s not like they ever did anything like that before... :unsmigghh:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Honestly if there's one band I have faith in to create an album remotely and separated from each other it's Radiohead. I know one of the ways they've saved many songs is by simply passing them around until one member figures something out that takes it where it needs to be during isolation (Colin fixing Bloom, Jonny tackling Videotape alone etc.) so if they're recording things and passing them around, I can actually see the songwriting process progressing relatively steadily.

Plus, they'd probably be having fun with the experimental aspect of it as well. They'll have the gear at their homes to record their parts professionally, might just take a while sending things around for each member to listen to, discuss and then let the engineering/mixing/production take place when they've got complete songs. The only thing I wouldn't expect is much in the way of strings but Jonny's talented enough to passably fake it were he so inclined. Stanley doesn't need to be in a studio with them to do his thing either, although he's admitted it can be inspiring.

I think the main thing to look out for however is that Radiohead always establishes a new company prior to an album release to keep their finances tidy, so if we get news of some new company with a funky name (the one for AMSP was called Dawn Chorus iirc) then I'd take that as confirmation that they're getting ready to release something.

Edit: The new Deftones album might have been made during Covid? Not sure but the singer talked about finishing the record in isolation and band members passing files around and it's the best record they've put out in a long time, imo. Very different from Radiohead but also a lot of very different musicians with varied tastes and voices managing to complete a great record all separated (not just by the pandemic but great distance as well) and at the very least putting the finishing touches and re-recording takes in isolation. Is everyone in Radiohead still living in Oxford?

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 26, 2020

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
At this point I expect thom to move to la by the end of the year lol

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
AMSP sounded like it was recorded remotely. I’m surprised it wasn’t, actually.

PostEldar
May 7, 2004

I'm in your area.

Volte posted:

Personally I hope there are six more versions of Morning Bell.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Volte posted:

Personally I hope there are ska versions of Morning Bell.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

Odd Mutant posted:

AMSP sounded like it was recorded remotely. I’m surprised it wasn’t, actually.

There's a lot of analog recording and tape loops on that record. TKOL could've been completely remote too

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Otis Reddit posted:

There's a lot of analog recording and tape loops on that record. TKOL could've been completely remote too

There was an interview where Johnny referenced they placed some "limitations" on themselves for AMSP and I've always been curious as to what they were exactly.
I've suspected it was something along the lines of parts could only be executed 'live' - so the looping stuff on daydreaming, true love waits etc were maybe done on the fly by a band member and not pored over in a DAW? That at least tracks with how they played Daydreaming live. Basically, no programming.
It also follows the pattern of the band taking a left turn from their last record with TKOL being constructed with some drum loop software Johnny created.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Puppy Galaxy posted:

There was an interview where Johnny referenced they placed some "limitations" on themselves for AMSP and I've always been curious as to what they were exactly.
I've suspected it was something along the lines of parts could only be executed 'live' - so the looping stuff on daydreaming, true love waits etc were maybe done on the fly by a band member and not pored over in a DAW? That at least tracks with how they played Daydreaming live. Basically, no programming.

I think you guessed right. According to Wikipedia:

quote:

Yorke had few demos and there was no rehearsal period. According to guitarist Ed O'Brien, "We just went straight into recording ... The sound emerged as we recorded." Instead of using computers, Godrich recorded the band to tape with analog multitrack recorders, inspired by Motown and early David Bowie records. This added creative limits, as rerecording a take meant first erasing the previous take. According to bassist Colin Greenwood, "It forces you to have to make decisions in the moment; it’s very much the opposite of having your album stored on a terabyte hard drive."

Some other interesting stuff on there, such as how the song for Spectre stopped the band in their tracks halfway through the record and those "limitations" didn't seem to apply to everything:

quote:

Work was interrupted by the recording of "Spectre", commissioned for the 2015 James Bond film. The film producers rejected the song, according to guitarist Jonny Greenwood, as "too dark". Godrich said: "That loving James Bond movie threw us a massive curveball. It was a real waste of energy ... In terms of making A Moon Shaped Pool it caused a stop right when we were in the middle of it."

For the introduction to "Daydreaming", Radiohead slowed the tape, creating a pitch-warping effect. Digital editing was used on many tracks; for example, Greenwood used the music programming language Max to manipulate the piano on "Glass Eyes". "Identikit" was developed from loops of Yorke's vocals recorded during the King of Limbs sessions. Drummer Clive Deamer, who had performed with Radiohead on the King of Limbs tour and appeared on their 2011 double single "The Daily Mail" and "Staircase", played additional drums on "Ful Stop".

Interesting how Identikit came about but makes sense given the sound. Considering they had played enough new songs live to nearly make a complete album in the first place it's interesting that they say they went straight into recording because Thom had few demos. They had a lot of new songs released or played live between the release of TKOL and AMSP. Would love to know why 'Cut a Smile' didn't make the album when given the themes it seems perfect, both lyrically and musically, especially when the track listing would have it precede 'Glass Eyes' and 'True Love Waits'.

thrilla in vanilla posted:

At this point I expect thom to move to la by the end of the year lol

Considering his strong stance on climate change I think the last place he'd want to relocate to is a state that's constantly on fire because of it. I get what you mean however and could see him one day packing his bags and heading off to Europe maybe. He seems to be in a really good place in his personal life after all he's been through and Brexit being what it is could have him thinking "gently caress this, I'm off" and relocating, both for the sake of his family and to avoid another breakdown.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 27, 2020

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I like moon shaped pool quite a bit but spectre was incredible I’m glad they did it even if it was a drag that it didn’t make the movie.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe I didn't care for A Moon Shaped Pool when I first listened to it. It's arguably my favorite album at the moment; probably the one I keep coming back to most this year.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
AMSP is easily their most gorgeous album. It’s utterly fantastic. I can’t place why exactly, but it leaves me with a similar feeling to Tears For Fears’s Seeds of Love album.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I've said it before, but I also think it captures the post-2016 zeitgeist in the same way that they really captured late 90s ennui with OK Computer and the Bush years with HTTT.

Daydreaming :smith:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Daydreaming is one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful and depressing things I have listened to.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It starts so beautifully with the flourishes accompanying the piano but that string work just after five minutes is so haunting and dark. The way they segue into something gentler as the dark rumbles of what I assume are Thom's voice are introduced is one hell of a way to end a song.

While AMSP isn't my favorite, the one-two hit of Burn the Witch & Daydreaming is a spectacular way to start an album.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

While AMSP isn't my favorite, the one-two hit of Burn the Witch & Daydreaming is a spectacular way to start an album.

Same, but I’d add Decks Dark. That’s a great opening trio. I don’t love the opening 3 track sequencing on HTTT, In Rainbows, or TKOL for various reasons.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The first three tracks on king of limbs are the worst ones on the album

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Jewmanji posted:

Same, but I’d add Decks Dark. That’s a great opening trio. I don’t love the opening 3 track sequencing on HTTT, In Rainbows, or TKOL for various reasons.

Agree, Decks Dark flows well.

Also agree that while the first three tracks of those other albums are good they don't flow as well.

And I say that while also feeling there isn't a single weak song on In Rainbows too.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

thrilla in vanilla posted:

The first three tracks on king of limbs are the worst ones on the album

There's a high quality version of Bloom that's mostly just Thom and a piano and it's beautiful. Didn't think it was possible but he nails it.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I love Moon Shaped Pool and Daydreaming is the stand out track for me on the album. I can’t shake the bleak visuals of the music video when I listen to it though, with Thom ending up alone in a cave.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
For this british radiohead fan in 2016, Burn The Witch was a perfect encapsulation of Brexit and Daydreaming the perfect encapsulation of Climate Change

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

zenguitarman posted:

Has anybody got their hands on this book yet, or heard anything about it?

https://www.hachettebooks.com/titles/steven-hyden/this-isnt-happening/9780306845680/?utm_expid=.OyywKgKNQfKo0ZgN1WBZtg.0&utm_referrer=

Kinda interested in picking it up but would really prefer a hardcopy of there's pictures in it. Also from some of the reviews it looks like it has some ridiculous writing in it...

late reply but I got around to listening to this on Audible the other day. Overall I liked it, in the reviews there was some criticism directed at the way he'll segue into other bands or songs and talk about them at length but IMO it helped to set the stage of the Y2K era. The writing was kind of ridiculous in a "sprinkle lyrics into otherwise serious sentences" kind of way, like literally ending the book with "yesterday I woke up sucking on a lemon and with any luck I will tomorrow too" but it was so weird and shitposty that I kind of respected it

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

ha, I was just listening to In Rainbows the other day and thinking “this has as good a side a as anything.” but to each their own.

anyway, looks like thom may be releasing something soon:

https://twitter.com/thomyorke/status/1339961695125573632?s=21

https://twitter.com/thomyorke/status/1340428134198501379?s=21

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

Would love to know why 'Cut a Smile' didn't make the album when given the themes it seems perfect, both lyrically and musically, especially when the track listing would have it precede 'Glass Eyes' and 'True Love Waits'.

This reminds me: have the band ever been asked how the tracklisting ended up being exactly in alphabetical order, or is that just a really weird coincidence?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Answers Me posted:

This reminds me: have the band ever been asked how the tracklisting ended up being exactly in alphabetical order, or is that just a really weird coincidence?

I have a feeling they had an ideal tracklist that they realized was almost alphabetical, so for shits and giggles they renamed the few tracks that weren’t alphabetical a non-sequitur that fit. Like Decks Dark, Tinker Tenor, etc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l11QjxNuk1U

This reminded me of the Rainydayz album. RIP DOOM :smith:

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
https://bid.omegaauctions.co.uk/auc...-thom/?lot=3811

Already at $10k including fees. Yikes.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://www.tiktok.com/@radiohead/video/6946130420404653317

That’s a verified account...

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
April fools?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Apparently Ed is doing something with Phil tonight on his regular livestream tonight. Maybe it’s just that?

I don’t want to get my hopes up. :(

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
What's that music in the background of the tiktok? It sounds familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Sounds like Paranoid Android

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

HD DAD posted:

Apparently Ed is doing something with Phil tonight on his regular livestream tonight. Maybe it’s just that?

I don’t want to get my hopes up. :(

It does look like Phil's crown with Ed's jaw, so possibly?