Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Can y'all believe In Rainbows turns 15 years old today? Because I can't!

I'm listening to it now and it's still as great as it's always been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Rageaholic posted:

Can y'all believe In Rainbows turns 15 years old today? Because I can't!

I'm listening to it now and it's still as great as it's always been.

Ah yes, I remember their “bit better than iTunes” digital release.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I had the digital download on pre-order and stumbled back to my college dorm from a party at 4am to discover it sitting in my email. Everyone was live-posting their reactions on a Radiohead message board I used to frequent, so I joined in while very drunk and high. It was a good time. :)

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I paid 4.20 :snoop:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I paid $0, as I asked for the deluxe edition for Christmas.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I’ve done a lot of highway driving the past month, so finally really got to absorb The Smile. It takes me time to get to love a Radiohead album, this one was no different, but I really really like it.

IMO, it feels like an alternate dimension follow up to OK Computer, where the band took the lessons learned from that and went in a more guitar focused direction, instead of the electronica route. It does not sound like old dudes just jamming, it is new and exciting. I love it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Carwash oval office posted:

I’ve done a lot of highway driving the past month, so finally really got to absorb The Smile. It takes me time to get to love a Radiohead album, this one was no different, but I really really like it.

IMO, it feels like an alternate dimension follow up to OK Computer, where the band took the lessons learned from that and went in a more guitar focused direction, instead of the electronica route. It does not sound like old dudes just jamming, it is new and exciting. I love it

It's excellent and there are some absolute All Timers on it

Even for Thom it's extremely dark, though

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1590789897748553728

I wonder what song they'll perform. Would be pretty funny if they played You Will Never Work In Television Again.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Very sad I missed tonight’s show.
How was it?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Very sad I missed tonight’s show.
How was it?

It was really good. Jonny is really a talented guy and there’s nowhere for him to hide like there is with Radiohead sometimes. He’s a hot poo poo guitar player. I think the songs are a lot more fun live too. Very danceable.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hell yeah, I'm seeing them in like 3 weeks!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
There was an absolute hero last night who worked the line with a sharpie putting numbers on everyones hand when you got there. So I got my number, went and had a beer, used the bathroom, stayed warm, and then got back in line in my spot a little bit before doors. Got on the rail dead in front of Thom. The guy didn’t work for the venue, he was just a guy and everyone in line cooperated.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rageaholic posted:

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1590789897748553728

I wonder what song they'll perform. Would be pretty funny if they played You Will Never Work In Television Again.
Wait, no way, they actually did :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C06Rr2nFXk0

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

BigFactory posted:

There was an absolute hero last night who worked the line with a sharpie putting numbers on everyones hand when you got there. So I got my number, went and had a beer, used the bathroom, stayed warm, and then got back in line in my spot a little bit before doors. Got on the rail dead in front of Thom. The guy didn’t work for the venue, he was just a guy and everyone in line cooperated.

I was gonna ask how long you had to camp out to get a front row spot at Roadrunner lol. Good on that guy.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Did it go out on TV (with "loving" in the first line) like that?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I was gonna ask how long you had to camp out to get a front row spot at Roadrunner lol. Good on that guy.

I got there around 5:30 pm and there were 50 people in front of me, so not really that bad. would have been worse on a Saturday. Someone was in line at 6am and I got as good a spot as her I think. It was more about how fast you got through the metal detectors. Continues my streak of never not being on the rail for a Radiohead or related show, though.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sand Monster posted:

Did it go out on TV (with "loving" in the first line) like that?
It sounds like he said "he's a fat fuzzy mess" in the first line and later on he said "you sad man" instead of "you sad gently caress"

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I got seats instead of floor at both Radiohead shows I went to because I was concerned re: claustrophobia but I really wish in retrospect that I had gotten floor tickets for one of them because I doubt I’ll get another chance to see them at this point.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I got seats instead of floor at both Radiohead shows I went to because I was concerned re: claustrophobia but I really wish in retrospect that I had gotten floor tickets for one of them because I doubt I’ll get another chance to see them at this point.

This is me after every gig I've ever been to.

Except the time I saw Radiohead right at the front because they reallocated all the seating tickets after the Manchester bombing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Getting front row at concerts seems way easier since Covid. It rules. Concerts rule

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
They do. I got to be front row at a bloc party concert before they changed lineups and I was on the verge of tears at least three times

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Lined up for today's show and very excited

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw The Smile tonight (got front row across from Tom, not Thom) and they were excellent. They played the whole album plus a couple new songs and closed the encore with Feeling Pulled Apart by Horses.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Drove up to Dallas with some pals last night and drat if that weren't one of the best shows I've seen in my young life. Thom looks like he's having a lot of fun.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Drove up to Dallas with some pals last night and drat if that weren't one of the best shows I've seen in my young life. Thom looks like he's having a lot of fun.
It was a really good show, lots of energy and they sounded great. Seeing Thom dancing around gave us all a big smile.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/thesmiletheband/status/1602408561639759872

New Smile live EP incoming!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I hope they tour for a while. They’re really good

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The show was great and yeah, Thom did seem very happy

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I was at last night’s show and it did in fact kick rear end. Was kind of hoping most of the new material would be on this live EP when I saw the headline, but since that’s not the case maybe they’re just going to do another studio album relatively soon.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
This will be up for just 48 hours

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8vTlz_4DZA

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This rules. Watching them move from instrument to instrument and nail every part is so cool. They make it look so effortless :allears:

e: Woah, Bending Hectic reminds me of multiple older Radiohead tracks :swoon:

ClashPanda 120 is right on:

quote:

ClashPanda 120
17 minutes ago
This was awesome.

Bending Hectic sounds like a mix of Sail To The Moon, The Tourist, Nude and then goes like You And Whose Army and Like Spinning Plates. So good, looking forward to the proper release!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 13, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The live EP is out.

Tracklist:

Pana-vision
Thin Thing
The Opposite
Speech Bubbles
Free In The Knowledge / A Hairdryer
The Smoke
You Will Never Work In Television Again

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
8 songs and roughly 35 minutes. King of Limbs confirmed EP

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
The weather is cold and the wind is cutting me to the core, which means it's time to listen to AMSP again.

Daydreaming is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever made.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Framboise posted:

The weather is cold and the wind is cutting me to the core, which means it's time to listen to AMSP again.

Daydreaming is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever made.

So is Lurgee

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XJXIC6dbrw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2S_dlHwyIE

Hopefully these won't get taken down after 48 hours like that video of the full set

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Smile did a Tiny Desk concert!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm1VIGNmPxI

Pana-vision, The Smoke and Skrting on the Surface

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And they also did a KEXP set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nc8I1lZ4Us

A Hairdryer
Thin Thing
The Opposite
You Will Never Work In Television Again
Open The Floodgates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I did both nights the last time they hit boston, one on the floor, one in seats (upper level on Ed's side). floor was a much better experience in every way, especially sound. it's probably not as noticeably worse in other arenas (TD Garden is famous for having poor acoustics) but I think you're generally in for a better experience with the band and mains directly in front of you.
they also didn't pack the floor - show was sold out but there was plenty of room in the back, and the fans were pretty chill - we were a few dozen rows back and not overly crowded.
seats were packed in though and people got mad at us for standing during paranoid android lol