Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
All Radiohead is amazing but the Kid A/Amnesiac period is easily the best in pretty much every way (music/album structure/artwork/general ideas and atmosphere).

That's my opinion, ok bye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

The more I listen to it the more I think Hail To The Thief is SO close to being a perfect album. It's just We Suck Young Blood and The Gloaming in the middle that drag it down. Everything else is atmospheric as gently caress and just brilliant.

Basically if Young Blood was shorter and The Gloaming was saved for a b-side, it would be the equal-best Radiohead album.

This is also absolutely true, although I'd keep The Gloaming and get rid of A Punchup At A Wedding.

I love the dark fairytale vibe of the Hail to the Thief era (also including related stuff like The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth of All Time).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

they also updated their facebook image stuff - the art for the new album will probably mirror this:

it's very interesting!! From a pure design perspective, it's much, much better than King of Limbs. But it's very hard to read to mood / tone of this. Feels lighter and higher energy than anything since OK Computer. The typeface and color are very poppy. Who knows!!

It looks potentially dark to me. The background resembles satellite imagery of some hosed up wasteland topography or something. Not sure what to make of the graffiti-looking typeface, though.

Is it too early for itshappening.gif? I don't really give a poo poo about live dates, but I itch for a new album.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

BigFactory posted:

They're really one of the best live rock bands I've seen if you haven't caught them. They kinda nail it in concert.

Oh, I've caught 'em twice, and yeah, they were amazing. I just don't live in London/have any money these days, so seeing them live is off the cards for me. I'll settle for some sweet, sweet new tracks.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The album does have a kind of overarching sense of paranoia and darkness which I'd say is pretty consistent on every song. It's a bit bloated, but it's an effective and thematically coherent artwork, I think.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I kind of like how horrible and grating and cut up and synthetic Myxomatosis is on the album, since it serves the song's overall atmosphere well. It sounds like serotonin syndrome brain zaps or something. But then again that may just be me being wanky and difficult

(this is not to impugn the From The Basement version, because both of those sets are masterful and nigh-on perfect)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Man, I love Let Down so, so much. I've not listened to OK Computer for ages, but my mate put on Radiodread the other day and the Toots & the Maytals version on there really reminded me how brilliant it is (their version also owns).

Probably my favourite on the album (with Lucky as a close second)

Sand Monster posted:

It is great, but my favorite is "Optimistic" to "In Limbo" and then "In Limbo" to "Idioteque".

Every transition on Kid A is amazing, it's definitely the album with the most flow. The transition between Everything In Its Right Place to Kid A is also particularly brilliant.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Posted at dawn.

It's happening.gif?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Skeletron posted:

Early bird gets the worm. Birds of a feather flock together. Bird brained. Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. Free as a bird. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. The bird has flown. Bird off the ground. What a rare bird. A bird in a gilded cage. Naked as jaybird. Like a box of birds. Sitting in the catbird seat. That's for the birds. Flit around like a little bird. You couldn't pull a pint, never mind a bird. A wet bird never flies at night. Bird's-eye view. Looks like a black cat with a red bird in its mouth. Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie. It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds. No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings. A little bird told me.

I like birds

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Holy poo poo both the song and the video are amazing. It sounds like Thom giving up, in the most bittersweet possible way

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Treefingers owns. Just like every other track on Kid A.

It's integral to the flow of the album.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

For some reason I think it's going to be self-titled. I also think it's gonna be their last album as a band, and a self-titled final album would be a great way to end it.

I have this weird feeling about this as well. But who knows...

Man, I'm gonna spend this evening in a 'head-hole. It's gonna be so good.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Man, I wish I had 60 quid spare.

But how come you don't get a digital copy with the CD? That seems weird

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Took the opportunity to listen to the album in the dark with headphones while very baked and it was overall a great time.

Random first impressions -

Ful Stop is like being blasted through the time vortex or something, it's flippin awesome.

Glass Eyes was heartbreakingly beautiful.

I wasn't feeling Identikit til those big swirly synths kicked in, and then it was a total jam.

I never really 'got' True Love Waits before - it was a really nice song, for sure, but it never seemed as special as everyone made out. Now I get it. Holy poo poo.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

From my (admittedly sole) listening so far, this is might be Radiohead's most head-phone-y album yet. There're a lot of tracks where they leave the centre channel relatively empty for a lot of the run time, but there's some really cool stuff going on hard left and right in the background.

While I'm unsure about some of the tracks as songs in themselves, the production on this thing is an absolute treat.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

I'm not going to lie and say that I listen to every single Hail to the Thief song (though it's Scatterbrain and Wolf at the Door that I do skip, which people love, while stuff people dismiss like Backdrifts, I really adore), and that might be what keeps it from being one of my favorite "albums" like In Rainbow was, but Hail to the Thief is definitely my favorite Radiohead album. It's so creepy and yet whimsical in its own strange way, with all the fairy tale allusions, and I'd listen to it regularly walking through wild forests because it captures the paranoia that goes with it so well. Really a fantastic album for me.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about it, even though it's not my favourite. Also Scatterbrain and Wolf are amazing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah, Radiohead's cover/booklet art from Kid A onwards has been consistently amazing (with the possible exception of HttT). Don't know what you're chatting there.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Mutant Standard posted:

this album is probably more about global warming than Thom Yorke's separation, looking back in hindsight. afterall, the separation occurred back in august 2015 while a whole lot of these songs debuted before. like sure, you don't have a loving relationship and then suddenly you end it but a large chunk of these songs are from 2009~2012, and a couple even before that.

At its best, it's absolutely about both, and it's about Thom giving up entirely on trying to resist both. I can't stop listening to Daydreaming at the moment, because it really sums up my feelings of hopelessness and futility about the future of this horrible country

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Mutant Standard posted:

really feeling AMSP now that we're living in a nightmare hellworld

I've had Daydreaming on repeat for awhile now. It feels appropriate. Even angry Thom has given up any and all hope :smith:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I dunno man, I wouldn't call AMSP "mellow" so much as the "gently caress it, I give up" album. I mean he's started playing Creep live again and ENJOYING it, obviously he stopped giving a poo poo at some point.

Yeah, this is it exactly. It's Resignation: The Album. Which is sad, but it seems even someone as passionate and weird as Thom Yorke can only take so much :smith:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, with accompanying b-sides throughout, is the best Radiohead period ever.

In Rainbows and A Moon Shaped Pool are gorgeous, but they don't have the same intensity and thematic push as above.

OK Computer is an amazing time capsule of a certain tumultuous moment in history, but it will never quite reach beyond that. The Bends is a fun time capsule, but suffers from the same of-its-periodness. Pablo Honey is lol.

King of Limbs doesn't really go anywhere or do much of anything. Lotus Flower is good though.

That is my hot take on Thom Yorke and the Radioheads.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Shall we rank our favourite rankings of Radiohead albums?

Obviously I think mine's the best, but I think Ballz's ranking is pretty respectable

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

I really, really love the 'blips' they put out as promo for Kid A. They're cool to rewatch now but in context they were amazing. They'd come on for like 5 seconds between regular TV adverts and would totally confuse my dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6YkH6nUG8o

How was I not aware of these?! My feelings re: Kid A are pretty much the same as Eldar's, so this is lovely to behold. That's a chunk of tonight sorted.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Daydreaming and Burn The Witch are perfect responses to the times we live in.

One of the many things I like about Radiohead is that they're really good at translating the zeitgeist into their music

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

And speaking of, how about favorite track combinations overall?

My vote: "Optimistic" -> "In Limbo" -> "Idioteque"

I agree but also think that Kid A is one of those albums with perfect flow the whole way through.

Also the 2+2 = 5 to Sit Down Stand Up transition is really good, the whiplash between ferocity and creepy insistence is very effective.

Also HTTT's queasy, off kilter, twisted fairy tale atmosphere is brilliant, and the fact it was thrown together so quickly is a real boon. It being a bit of a baggy monster actually helps it, imo, even if some of the songs aren't the best (although I think The Gloaming is really good, it goes round my head a lot these days).

The HTTT era also produced The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth of All Time, which I adore. I love that they were trying to bring back the whole early MTV independent, viewer submitted art thing, even if it never quite got off the ground. Well worth a watch if you've not seen it.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 18, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Kinetic or Worrywort for me. Pretty much any of the weird noodly electronic b sides from that period, tbh. Like Fast Track as well

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Filipino posted:

In Rainbows Disc 1 is the most vanila of all RH albums and is highly overrated by people who dont even care about inovation. Radiohead is good when they are doing something experimental and exciting. Like Myxamotosis or the kraut rock track Little by Little. Jigsaw falling into place could have been written by Chris Martin.

Although, Videotape is a masterpeice.

It definitely plays nice but is it really more vanilla than The Bends? I know that's got Planet Telex and other slight oddities but In Rainbows has 15 Step

In any case I do agree with you, Radiohead are best when they're spiky not smooth. Which is why Kid A/Amnesiac are the best

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Innovation and complexity are cool and important but anyone who tries to police enjoyment is a fool

I mean, it's literally not possible, like haha how can you even pretend to objectively measure something so blatantly subjective

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Just for emphasis. What is this garbage "hurf durf this music isn't challenging enough"

It's a perfectly reasonable thing to think as long as you're not making GBS threads on other people for enjoying other aspects of it

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

If we're gonna do pyf maybe let's do something a bit fresher like your favourite weird little bits of performance or production in radiohead songs

Stuff like that screechy twangy sound in The Bends where Johnny pulls the string straight off the fretboard (this isn't a particular favourite but it's the kind of thing I mean)

But this is too is only a suggestion

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Tenterhooks posted:

The bit in Let Down where Thom's vocal splits in two still gets me - always think Ed should at least have a go when they play it live as it's a bit of an anticlimax. Also the twinkly bleeps as the song fades out are very nice too.

Does he not? What a waste, that may be the best bit of the whole song, it soars.

In general it annoys me a bit that Thom does all the backing vocals on the records that Ed (and Phil I guess) do live. Give Ed A Chance

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah it's too drat real. OK Computer overall is amazingly prescient about the sheer exhausting inescapable shitness of late capitalism even though it was made in the relatively optimistic 90s.

Although I suppose Thom was too smart to fall for that

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Even if it's not necessarily my absolute favourite, I somehow feel Pyramid Song is the perfect Radiohead song

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Filipino posted:

It is. The drumming on it is schizophrenic. It's perfect. I read an interview with Thom once saying it was the most beautiful thing theyve ever done. He also said that about How to Dissapear though.

I mean, it's a toss-up, since both still give me goosebumps even though I've listened to them both a zillion times

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jables88 posted:

Where I End And You Begin suffers from being a gloomy number in the middle of a gloomy run of songs on a gloomy album. It'd stand out far better slapped in the middle of In Rainbows or TKOL or AMSP.

It's absolutely steeped with HTTT energy, though

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

asecondduck posted:

The way 2+2=5 starts is probably one of my favorite album openers.

Thom's too, apparently!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's absolutely transcendent.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Is Ed the least appreciated Radiohead?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

stev posted:

I guess KIDANOTAKID isn't happening then. :(

Sucks :( I would buy it in a heartbeat, Kid A is my favourite album of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I saw them two shows back to back and on the first night thom Yorke forgot the words to karma police which, lol. Set list for that show was completely amazing

Bloom
15 Step
Airbag
Little by Little
Morning Mr. Magpie
Myxomatosis
Kid A
Videotape
The Daily Mail
The Amazing Sounds of Orgy
Karma Police
Identikit
Lotus Flower
There There
Feral
Reckoner

Encore:
Separator
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Lucky
Everything in Its Right Place

Encore 2:
Give Up the Ghost
You and Whose Army?
Idioteque

Dang that's nearly a perfect set. Just missing...I'm gonna say I Might Be Wrong and Pyramid Song