Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I hope you're planning to paste Gus immediately.

Edit: Update at bottom of last page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Man, Toadsworth is so much more calmer about Peach being missing in this game than he is over in the M&L games that I'm almost a bit worried about him.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

One of my favorite things about the Paper MArio games is how much background dialogue there is. Just about every single background character has new lines every chapter.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The webms are definitely very nice, and I prefer them to .gifs, but they do make phone browsing a little more of a pain.

How am I supposed to enjoy reading an LP on a poop break while using the bathroom with a crummy WiFi connection?

Seriously, though, keep up the good work. You're doing a great job.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The webms are markedly worse on my end, as having so much of them makes them choppy and caused my browser to hang about 6 times during the reading of the update, slowing my system down so much I had to close and reopen it.

This LP is literally unreadable to me in this state.

Edit: Make that 8 times.

Maybe it's just the fact that two big updates are on the same page.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 18, 2016

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Rogueport eventually comes to feel like home if you've been playing for a while, it's part of the charm that comes with the setting

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012
Oh cool, an LP of one of my top 3 favourite rpgs of all time. Looking forward to seeing more!

This game just has so much personality and the worldbuilding is phenomenal. Not only does Goombella provide snippets of information on every character and location, there's also new dialogue and events around town after pretty much every chapter.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Carlosologist posted:

Rogueport eventually comes to feel like home if you've been playing for a while, it's part of the charm that comes with the setting

Yeah. For a town supposedly filled with scum and drowning in crime, the place seems very charming in its own way. The music is probably a big part of that: energetic and upbeat, but not overwhelmingly so.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Waffleman_ posted:

The webms are markedly worse on my end, as having so much of them makes them choppy and caused my browser to hang about 6 times during the reading of the update, slowing my system down so much I had to close and reopen it.

This LP is literally unreadable to me in this state.

Edit: Make that 8 times.

Maybe it's just the fact that two big updates are on the same page.

Apparently Firefox handles them especially poorly, I've heard recommendations to switch to Chrome for gif/webm heavy LPs. :shrug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A link to the update alone worked perfectly. I'm guessing it was just having the two updates on the same page that did it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Geostomp posted:

Yeah. For a town supposedly filled with scum and drowning in crime, the place seems very charming in its own way. The music is probably a big part of that: energetic and upbeat, but not overwhelmingly so.

Well, you know what they say. When a felon's not engaged in his employment -- or maturing his felonious little plans -- his capacity for innocent enjoyment is just as great as any honest man's.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've made a few quality-of-life changes if you're also having problems similar to what Waffleman_ had. The table of contents in the OP will link to each update on a page all by itself, and at the top of each update is gonna be a link to that page as well.

Clicking on that link will take you to this page. That should hopefully cut down on the number of browsers making GBS threads the bed due to webm shenanigans.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

DoubleNegative posted:

The tactics menu is gonna be super helpful throughout the game. More options will be added to it as the game progresses. Right now all we can do is defend, which also reduces incoming damage by 1. I don't actually know if you can do a timed block while also defending, to further reduce damage. I've never tried to be honest.

Guarding while defending will reduce the incoming damage by 2 points.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

How are the WebMs working for you all? I've had several people approach me in private to say they're not working particularly great for them. It's easier on my end to use them, but I'm perfectly willing to swap back to GIF if that makes it easier for y'all to read the updates.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

DoubleNegative posted:

How are the WebMs working for you all? I've had several people approach me in private to say they're not working particularly great for them. It's easier on my end to use them, but I'm perfectly willing to swap back to GIF if that makes it easier for y'all to read the updates.

I'm good with them. It takes a little time to load, but I can handle them on my computers.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

They run really well on my side of things, doesn't even take extra time to load in or anything. I'm using Chrome, so maybe that helps?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Works well for me even on Firefox on a laptop, but I am using a plugin that only allows one active animation at a time (which admittedly I only got because the VLR LP melted Firefox once or twice).

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Works well for me even on Firefox on a laptop, but I am using a plugin that only allows one active animation at a time (which admittedly I only got because the VLR LP melted Firefox once or twice).

Oh poo poo, I'd never heard of that. It sounds useful. Could you link it?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

WebM/GIFV > GIF, always. Don't give in to the heathens!

Seriously, though. They load better, and are preferable. I had to stop reading the PYF GIF thread because they were murdering Firefox, but now that SA supports inline WebM/GIFV, I can read it again. So, please, stick with them.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh poo poo, I'd never heard of that. It sounds useful. Could you link it?

Here you go!

I have it set to all animations off by default, start on mouseover, pause on click. Mousing over another animation while one is already playing will freeze the first one and play the one you just moused over.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
My browser can get a little freezey if I try and scroll too fast (why? the page is fully loaded this should not be an issue, Firefox), but other than that I'm not having any issues, and it doesn't crash or anything, so I'm thinking the WebMs are fine with me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

When my internet isn't chugging, they're fine. I had a bit of trouble making them work when I wanted to quote it to show that typo but otherwise it's all good.

I'm on Chrome.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

GirlCalledBob posted:

My browser can get a little freezey if I try and scroll too fast (why? the page is fully loaded this should not be an issue, Firefox), but other than that I'm not having any issues, and it doesn't crash or anything, so I'm thinking the WebMs are fine with me.

I have the same thing on Firefox, but it's with all screenshot LP threads, not just WebM-using ones. WebMs work fine.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
TTYD is awesome, it's one of those games that I could easily play over and over again. I think the early levels are better than the later ones, though.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
TTYD was the first game I ever bought for myself. I recently replayed it, and was surprised by how well it holds up. It just drips care from every pore - each aspect of this game conveys so much.

The text boxes alone - loud characters speak in huge text, scared character's text wiggles, excited character's text appears in bursts - just by altering the size, color or speed of hte font and adding a few effects to it, rather than keeping it static, so much personality is added.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Link To This Update By Itself

Hello everyone. Shall we go meet Professor Frankly?

!!!Professor Frankly!!!

This is a really good track. Give it a listen.

: Oh, hi! There you are! Professor Frankly!
: Whuzzuh??? Who's there? Who wants me?

: Ah. Yes. You. Now, you, uh... I've seen your face before... Yes, that face... Wait for it... Just a moment... Don't tell me, now! Silence! I'll get it right! Umm... It's not Goombriel... Errr... It's not Elizagoom...

: A-HAAA! I've got it!!! You're Goombella, aren't you? You were in my archaeology class last year, am I right?
: Wow, yes, sir! That's me! I'm Goombella, a junior a U Goom! Goooo GOOMBAS!
: Of course I remember you. Not to toot my horn, but I'm pretty good at remembering. You, though... You stick out in my mind because you were such an exceptional student. And that guy behind you is...

https://zippy.gfycat.com/FoolishHardtofindDrever.webm

It's a running joke that absolutely none of the supporting cast in this game knows who Mario is, and it never fails to crack me up.

: Mario! Professor, he's Mario! You know... the famous one!
: Oh! My apologies. I'm such a bookworm, I haven't a clue about what's "hip" right now. In any case, what sort of errand brings you two all the way to a place like this?
: We were hoping you'd tell us about the legendary treasure said to be below Rogueport! I thought that if anyone knew anything about it, you would, Professor Frankly...
: Of course I know about it. The reason I came here was to study that very subject. But why do you tykes want to learn about the legendary treasure? You know that most say it's little more than a fairy tale, don't you?
: Archaeologists and historians have to search for truth in those fairy tales, though! Me, I believe the legendary treasure truly does exist! And I REALLY want to find it!
: Good point! And well made! In that case, I'll cooperate with you however I can. First of all, about the treasure... There are many mysteries surrounding it. Some say it's an infinitely vast treasure hoard, while others say it's a magical item. Some books say it's actually a monster, while still others claim it's an empty chest... So many different theories... Obviously, it's impossible to divine the truth among them. ...But all agree on one point: to find the treasure, one must have the Crystal Stars!

: ...You mean the Crystal Stars in that old saying that super-elderly people pass down?
: Indeed, the same. As the saying goes, if you want to find the legendary treasure you must first collect the seven Crystal Stars.

: "Then the stars will light the way that leads to the stones of yesterday." Yeah... A lot of the lore I've read says that if this Magical Map is taken to the doorway, then it'll show you where to find the Crystal Stars.
: Correct! And the Thousand-Year Door is supposedly here, deep beneath this town. Yet the critical piece of the puzzle -- the Magical Map -- is lost. If only we had that map!
: But we DO have it, Professor! Or... Well, not "we," exactly... MARIO has the Magical Map!

: Hummina hubbity hubbida hippity hoobida hammala huffala hoofala... REALLY? You... you actually have it? Could I... just take a quick look at it, if you don't mind?

: Astounding! This is it! The real thing! The one and only Magical Map! You, son, are my HERO! You're great! Fantastic! WONDERFUL, even! With this we can find the Crystal Stars just by holding this aloft before the legendary door!
: Right on, Professor!
: Good golly, what are we doing just sitting here, then?!? Goombella! Mario! Off we must go, this instant! Let's take the Magical Map to the legendary door!

gently caress that was a lot of exposition. The opening of this game is heavy with this sort of thing. There's gonna be a lot of it in this update in particular. Anyway, we're given the ability to walk 5 feet before another cutscene yanks control away.

The game as a whole is amazing. The opening is decidedly less so. Oh and while we're here...

: That's Professor Frankly, head of the archaeology department at U Goom. He's researching the legendary treasure here. I totally respect him. You know the famous Professor Kolorado? He was a student of Frankly's!

Frankly walks toward the fence in the foreground.

: I bet you didn't know this rotten old thing came off, did you? Heh heh!

https://zippy.gfycat.com/PortlyBadGreendarnerdragonfly.webm

: We can use this pipe to get down under the city streets! Come on! Both of you! Let's get moving!

We get close to Frankly and...

: Oh, wait, hang on a second... Mario! Something just occurred to me. I'm fairly certain there are quite a few hoodlums below. So, uh... keep your guard up.

I obviously know how to pull them off, but it's still helpful to do the tutorial. It helps show exactly where to hit the button for the timed hits.

: Hmmph! Positively shocking! In that case, you ought to take a second to learn them. We'll have a little practice session. Goombella, you can be Mario's opponent.
: What?!? Me? Are you nuts?!? Oh, gee, ummmmmm.... Uh, OK. I'll do my best, I guess!

Tutorial Battle

: First, we'll practice the Jump Action Command. That OK with the both of you? Choose the Jump command, then choose which enemy you'll attack.

: When you choose your target, the Action Command details appear down below, there.

The game pauses with Mario about two inches from flattening Goombella.

: There! Right there, Mario! Just before you land on your enemy, press again.

: You'll know you did it right when "NICE" appears. You can do more damage this way! Now it's your turn to attack, Goombella. Shake a leg!
: OK... Here goes, Mario!

: Hold up! Right there, Mario! Press just before your enemy strikes you.

: You did a Guard Action Command! Guarding well will reduce the damage you take! But listen: you can't just repeatedly tap to guard. That... will not work. Oh, and remember this: the Action Commands change depending on the attack. Better stay on your toes! Anyway, next let's practice Hammer Action Commands.

: Once you choose the enemy you're going to attack, Mario, tilt and hold the control stick to the left. Keep holding it left, now! Don't let go!

Believe it or not, somehow there are no rips of the button icons that this game uses on Spriters-Resource. So I had to make do with the ones they provided for Tony Hawk's Underground 2. I have a whole rant about that site, however. But nobody needs to hear that. Just suffice it to say that absolutely none of the contributors know what a transparency is.

: Release the control stick as soon as the star icon lights up.

: Another rousing Action Command success! How did that feel, Mario? Got a pretty good grasp on Action Commands now? Excellent. Now for a real treat: I'll teach you a really incredible technique! Goombella, try to attack Mario one more time.
: You got it, Professor!

: Freeze right there, Mario. This time, press just before the enemy attack lands.

: See? You turned the foe's attack back on him! I mean, her! That's a Superguard! If you do a Superguard with , you take no damage... AND damage your enemy in return. But... Superguards are harder to do than standard guards. Choose wisely between them.

I've never been able to pull off a Superguard with any regularity. In all honesty I keep forgetting they exist. I see the tutorial to pull them off, try and fail at it for 5 minutes, and then just shrug and move on. So I wouldn't expect to see them in this LP.

: And that concludes Action Commands 101! Har har har! Sorry... Professorial humor.

Nah, we're done here. Let's move on.

: Hop up onto the pipe and tilt the control stick down to enter the pipe. Come now! I simply can't wait! Let's go down underground! Quickly, now!

https://fat.gfycat.com/GargantuanAmazingBeetle.webm

Rogueport Sewers

: We're down below Rogueport. The current town was built on top of this ancient one. Pretty surprising to find all this down here, right? It kinda blows my mind... The ruins here are all crumbly and gnarly now, but it was once a great town, really.

The sewers are the seedy...er... seedier underbelly of Rogueport. Expect to be attacked by random enemies as you're wandering around down here.

: We're down below Rogueport. Folks say these are the ruins of a 1,000-year-old town. Even though these buildings are crumbling, some seem safer than those above us. The people living here mostly can't show their faces above for one reason or another. Some have actually started successful businesses here, though! What a hardy bunch!

This is one of the more important screens in the sewers. We can't access most of it yet, but there's several shops and businesses you can eventually patronize down here.

This pillar seems suspicious.

:toot: That makes two of these we've found now. We can't talk to him yet, but the small fellow with the blue jester's cap is the merchant that deals in these. You can scroll up a few pictures to see what he looks like again. Anyway, we can walk in this first house. So let's do so.

: That's the fortune-teller, Merluvlee. She's kind of mysterious, as you'd expect... She divines the locations of things, or where we should go. People say she's always right. And... they say she's really cute under that veil. I hear some people even fall for her!

Merluvlee can tell you the location of the closest Shine Sprite or Star Piece. She also functions as the game's hint system, and can tell you where to go in case you get stuck. Of course, these services aren't free...

: Ahhhhhhhhhhhh-hah! :h: Welcome, Mario. I am Merluvlee, the lovely fortune-teller. Seeing with my amazing abilities that which you seek is my humble job. The light of the shining stars will light that which I wish to see. Ah-hah! :h:

We're good for right now, so let's keep pressing on. We'll definitely be back, because I want to find all the shine sprites, and I have a strong suspicion that we'll want to find as many star pieces as possible.

: Ahhhhhhh-hah! Is that so? Well, if there is ever anything you want to find, just ask.

Back on the previous screen, we're heading off to the right.

: Hey! Hey, man! What's up! Who's the hottie you got there with you?

: Wassup, baby? Why don't you hang with us for a while? We play real nice!
: Man, what's a FINE-lookin' Goomba doin' with a tubby mustache man like that?!?
: Oh, it is, like, SO sweet that you boys think I'm cute! Seriously! Yeah, guys like you make me feel like TOTALLY BARFING! Now get out of our way!
: Ouch! That was cold!
: What, you're too good for us? Come off it, sister!
: Nobody zings us like that! Nobody! Let's get 'em!

!!!Battle Theme!!!

Another really good track. Give it a listen. It's a good thing the track is good too. We're gonna be hearing it more than any other track in the game. This plays every time we get into a fight.

: A Goomba, a Spiny Goomba, and a Paragoomba! My! The whole Goomba family tree! The only one I should warn you about is that fellow in the middle: the Spiny Goomba. See that spike on his head? Well, jump on that and you're the one who'll take damage! The Paragoomba's airborne, so your hammer won't reach. You'll have to jump for him. Always take your opponent's situation into consideration when fighting! Always!

This is the first real fight in the game, and it's introducing the basic building blocks of the combat system. These three are pretty good shorthand for the three basic enemy types: normal enemies, enemies you can't jump on, and airborne enemies. Most of the foes we're gonna fight fall into these three pretty broad categories.

: ...Oh! That's right! I forgot to tell you something vital! You can press to change the order you two attack in! You can attack first if you feel like it, Goombella. Don't forget that!

For the most part, the hand holding is now done with. It's up to us to sink or swim with regards to combat. Anyway, let's do just what he suggested.

Goombella is now in front, and will attack first.

Her basic attack is exactly like Mario's jump. However, her real contributions come from the Tattle ability.

https://fat.gfycat.com/AstonishingHugeCottontail.webm

It's super easy to hit the stylish command on her Tattle ability. Just hit A right after you line up the crosshairs. Anyway, I have a neat little image made up for the tattle information.

After tattling on something you can see its HP for the rest of the game. So it doesn't hurt to use Goombella a lot in combat. If you don't know what to do against any given enemy, she'll be able to tell you.

For this next animation, watch the background carefully.

https://fat.gfycat.com/PerfumedCourteousDegu.webm

I'm not exactly sure what triggers it, but occasionally attacks will cause part of the background set to start teetering. Eventually it will collapse on top of the entire battle arena, damaging everyone it hits. You can block this, but you have to be quick on the draw.

Anyway, for beating up on these three perverts we got 10 star points. The big circle means 10, you see.

: Ha! Later on, losers! That felt AWESOME!
: Are you ready, Mario? There are plenty more where they came from, and they'll all have it in for us. When they attack, try to hammer them or jump on them while in the field... Attack successfully and you can perform a First Strike when you enter battle. So if an enemy catches sight of you, be sure to thump him as you go into battle.

Goodnight Mario

I took this opportunity to run back into Rogueport proper to sleep at the inn before we continued on.

Anyway, we're back here now. Going any farther right will leave us at a dead end. You see that little alcove behind us?

We can catch a floating platform from that alcove, which will lead us to the pipe that will let us continue.

: We're down below Rogueport. I think this is just your basic, garden-variety corridor. This must've been a nice walk when the whole town was aboveground...

Continuing onward, we can find the first battle where Frankly won't monologue at us for 10 straight minutes.

This goomba is also our most dangerous foe yet. See that flower behind him? If he's allowed to get a turn, he'll use it.

He doesn't get the chance. Yes I know it's not the same goomba in this shot. See those two items flying up and out? Occasionally enemies will drop things for us as they "die." In this case we get a coin and a 1 FP restore. You can get items, health, and even badges this way.

These two yellow boxes hold items.

Item Get

We're going to put them both to good use in an optional boss fight in the next update.

We can break these blocks, but let's go left first.

: We're down below Rogueport. Y'know, this seems to be more than just a corridor... Nothing's ever what it seems down here, huh?

We can't put so much as a dent in the gigantic yellow blocks yet. We also can't jump high enough to toggle this blue switch. So for right now this room is a dead end, albeit a tantalizing one. It'll be quite some time before we return here, so just keep it in the backs of your minds for now.

Told ya we can shatter those small yellow blocks.

: Who knew the area under Rogueport extended so far? This place is a total maze! You really feel the grandness of that ancient civilization when you're down here...

There's another of those humongous yellow blocks. So let's head to the right.

:confused:

Moving past the strange tiny creature we get ambushed by something from offscreen.

This particular Spinia has a mushroom, and we can't kill it in a single round.

If an enemy is holding an item, they will prioritize using it the first chance they get.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ShortHonorableGroundbeetle.webm

Goombella's attack animation. According to the wiki, the Stylish command for this is to press A when she pauses before jumping.

This blue switch is the only thing in this little dead end. So let's smash it.

https://fat.gfycat.com/SlipperyDimFattaileddunnart.webm

I'll never get tired of the little animations this game has.

: There's a black box in the middle of the room. Y'know, in case you missed it. And, um... Yeah, there's just not much else, really.

That's a pretty impressive-looking chest. I wonder if we can open it?

: Whoa! Hey! You! Can you hear me?

Mario nods.

: You can?!? That must mean you're the hero of legend!

: Only the great hero of legend can hear my voice. Yeah! Everyone else... nothing. See, long ago, an evil spirit cast a curse on me, locking me in this box. I was bummed. I've been here ever since, waiting a long, LONG time for the hero to come by! ...So, yeah, anyway, big buy... What brings a hero like you to a place like this?
: Er, Mario... A word with you? I'm not exactly confident that we can trust this... box. I think it may be best not to mention that we're looking for the Crystal Stars. ...Well, drat. I just said it out loud! What's wrong with me?
: Oh, yeah? Searching for the Crystal Stars, are you, now? So you really are a hero. Well, you're DEFINITELY gonna need my help if you hope to get those bad guys. So, first you should look for the key to this box. Then use it to let me out. Definitely.

: Well, what do you think we oughta do, Mario?

: Well, I know MY vote goes to you finding that key. I'm sure it's around here somewhere. C'mon! Being stuck in a box is no picnic! I'm counting on you, O Great Legendary Hero!

I'm sure this mysterious, talking, locked, black chest deep under a town full of thieves and liars can be trusted.

Not like we have a lot of choice otherwise.

We could see this key in an earlier screenshot.

: Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! You brought the key! Yes! Oh, man, I owe you BIG!

Curse of the Black Box

: YESSSSSSSSS! Thank... Ha! Thank NOTHING!

: Oh, BOY, did you fall for it! I BURNED you! What, you think I was gonna help you?!? Instead, I'm gonna spread a little of the suffering I've endured in that stupid box! Yeah! Sorry, but those are the breaks! I'm gonna cast an evil, terrible curse upon you!

: Whee hee hee hee hee! Enjoy that curse, sucker! You got what you deserved!!! You wanna hear all about the sweet curse I just dropped? Then listen well! From now on if you press in certain areas, you'll turn into a paper airplane! Whee hee! Trembling yet? Suffer the rest of your days under my terrible curse! Whee hee hee hee hee hee! Oh, I can't help but chortle! You're DOOMED!!!

: This curse is pretty rough, I guess, so I suppose I owe it to you to explain it. Ready? If you stand on an airplane panel like this one, the floor will start to glow.

: Yeah, OK, you're on the panel. Now try pressing ! And then, bam! You're a paper airplane!

: The worst part of this curse is that you must tilt the control stick Left and Right to control yourself. I guess if you got good at it, you might fly a long way... but that's the ONLY good thing.

: Whee hee hee hee hee hee! If you press , you MIGHT return to normal! Maybe!

: Farewell, you foolish fool! WHEE HEE HEE HEE!

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this game? Because that is funny as hell.

: So, uh... wow. Just wow. What was THAT guy's beef?

Back outside, we run into one of those paper airplane panels. We've seen a couple of them, and this is what they're for.

https://fat.gfycat.com/FlimsyOddGermanshorthairedpointer.webm

This doesn't feel like a curse at all. That feels like a necessary movement ability! Man, that curse chest guy is pretty bad at his job.

!!!Ruins of the Thousand-Year Door!!!

Another must-listen. It's a very Zelda-sounding track. It also gives you the feeling you've found something incredibly ancient, that nobody has seen for a very long time.

: This is the site of the famed Thousand-Year Door. The air ripples with power... Behind that door sleeps the treasure that every rogue in Rogueport whispers about... I also read this was where the palace at the center of the ancient town was. Just a little fun fact, there...

: Oh! Mario! Goombella! look... at... THAT!

: It's the Thousand-Year Door spoken of in the legends! I can't believe it's real! So the legends are all true! There it is, big as life! Come! Let's move closer!

: Hey, what's the deal with this weird pedestal, huh? What could it be, you think?

https://fat.gfycat.com/JointTepidBushsqueaker.webm

: Professor! What's going on?

https://zippy.gfycat.com/YoungGoodGavial.webm

I think that's a pretty definite answer as to where at least one of the crystal stars is. It's in that weird castle.

: Professor! The map!!! And what was with all those crazy lights?
: Hrmmm... It appears that information related to the locations of the Crystal Stars appeared... And that shining light... It looked as if a mysterious power was given to Mario... Well... One way or another... We should return to my place and study the map closely.

https://zippy.gfycat.com/BelovedYoungKodiakbear.webm

Video: Professor Frankly, Curse Chest, Thousand-Year Door

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 22, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Personally, I can usually pull off a superguard when it comes to charging enemies like Goombas or Koopa Troopas. It's what got me through the harder parts of the game that's actually more like a superchallenge than anything else because it gives you something super nice that'd really help the game out among other things. I just hope they eventually remaster the game and re-release it sometime with some improvements like speeding up text and skipping cutscenes.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
: Hummina hubbity hubbida hippity hoobida hammala huffala hoofala

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

: Hummina hubbity hubbida hippity hoobida hammala huffala hoofala

He actually says it! :D

AweStriker posted:

One other benefit of Superguarding is that the attacking enemy will always take damage even if they have a positive Defense.

In addition to this typo (you meant "tilt", presumably), there's a closing italics tag with no opener near "floating platform".

VVVVVVVVV

Fixed these.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 22, 2016

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

One other benefit of Superguarding is that the attacking enemy will always take damage even if they have a positive Defense.

DoubleNegative posted:

tile the Control Stick

In addition to this typo (you meant "tilt", presumably), there's a closing italics tag with no opener near "floating platform".

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

Believe it or not, somehow there are no rips of the button icons that this game uses on Spriters-Resource. So I had to make do with the ones they provided for Tony Hawk's Underground 2.

You mean this sheet? Granted, the X & Y buttons need to be cropped out, but I can do that for you, if you'd like. I can also reduce the size of the other buttons (I think...).

DoubleNegative posted:

I have a whole rant about that site, however. But nobody needs to hear that. Just suffice it to say that absolutely none of the contributors know what a transparency is.

Yeah, I can't argue with you on that one.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

You mean this sheet? Granted, the X & Y buttons need to be cropped out, but I can do that for you, if you'd like. I can also reduce the size of the other buttons (I think...).

That sheet! :mad: :argh: I spent ten minutes with that sheet early this morning. The quick select tool and I had a difference of opinion on what constitutes a single pixel.

Anyway, I'm happy enough with the buttons I have right now. They're not the prettiest PNGs ever created, but they get the idea acorss well enough!

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Hey, fun secret that I found while scouring for star pieces late game: go to that hole that the little grey creature ran through in the room with the black key, walk straight down until you hit the wall and jump: you get a Pretty Lucky badge.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I don't know why, but I really like the artstyle in the Paper Mario games. Not really the whole paper aesthetic thing, though that is pretty neat. Just like the general look of the characters. It's pretty stylized, I'd say?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Don't mock that curse. If this was a cheezy 80's cartoon paper airplane stones would be cropping up left and right. New mall? Stone. Walk in the forest? Stone. Call out for pizza? Made in a stone oven and they accidentally put one in the box.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Link To This Update By Itself

Hello everyone. Today's update is gonna be on the shorter side, but there was such a natural ending point that I had to stop there. Let's get started, shall we?

: Hrmmm... Aha! I see!

: You understand it, Professor?
: My dear, of course I do! Firstly, about that light we saw shining on Mario... By my reckoning, Mario can now perform what is known as a special move.
: A special move?
: Yes, it... Well... Stuff like this is better explained by example rather than words.

This tutorial is actually helpful, and introduces the vast majority of the remaining gameplay mechanics. We'd be crazy to skip it.

: Excellent! In that case, we'll go outside, since this place is a little cramped.

You may notice that several things have already changed about the battle screen. We'll cover them all in due time.

: First, take a close look at your Star Power gauge.

: You'll see that your gauge has one power dot. Obviously that's a single unit of power. So you're sitting on a single dot of Star Power. With me so far? When you have Star Power available, you can use a special move. Try using Sweet Treat now. It's a special move that will replenish your HP and FP.

I tried repeatedly to get an animated version of this special move. The program I'm using to record WebMs limits you to 15 seconds for some unknowable reason.

I then realized that it was largely an animated image of icons falling, and as such wasn't very useful anyway.

The basic idea is you pull left on the control stick and Mario will toss something at the icons on screen. Each icon you hit will give you 1 HP or FP, depending on what it is. See those two poison mushrooms? Each Sweet Treat will have 3 of them randomly placed throughout the shower of icons. If you hit one, you're stunned for several seconds.

There's HP icons for both Mario and his current partner. FP draws from a universal pool, so there's only one icon for that.

Like I said, hit a poison mushroom and you're stunned for several seconds. Most Sweet Treat uses will be nowhere near as nice as this one was, where two of the three mushrooms were at the start.

: Since you used one power dot, the Star Power gauge is now empty. Take a look.

: Even if the gauge empties out, though, you can still charge it up again. That's why the audience watching your battles is so very important.

Hope none of y'all have stage fright. Every battle in this game is a live theater production.

: If you can get the audience excited, you'll build up more Star Power. Let me show you what I mean. Mario, Goombella... Try to attack me, please.

https://fat.gfycat.com/UglyClassicLadybird.webm

: Nice! See that? You thrilled your audience, so they filled up some of your gauge.

This is why action commands are so important. Each one you land makes the audience excited. Their excitement feeds our Star Power gauge. Oh, right. Mario also attacks Frankly.

: Nice! Keep building up that Star Power. Also, the more exciting your battles are, the more people will come to watch you fight! As you can see, that's reflected in the number of members in this audience.

: Mario! This is your chance to hit it big! Nail and Action Command when you have two matching icons and icon wheels appear. Give it a try!

A quick headbonk from Goombella later...

https://fat.gfycat.com/NegativeUnequaledGraysquirrel.webm

: Fantastic! You matched three icons! When you match those icons, the crowd goes nuts and people swarm the theater. Plus, depending on the icons you match up, your HP, FP, or Star Power will fill up. But... if you get three Poison Mushrooms, something terrible will happen, so be careful.

To be specific...

• Match 3 Mushrooms: Your HP and your partner's HP fully recover
  • Match 3 Flowers: Your FP fully recovers
  • Match 3 Stars: Your Star Power fully recovers
  • Match 3 Shine Sprites: Everything fully recovers
  • Match 3 Poison Mushrooms: Your HP, your partner's HP, your FP, and your Star Power are all cut in half!

Furthermore, the BINGO! event also affects the audience:

• Match 3 Mushrooms, Flowers, or Stars: The audience is filled by half (a 100 capacity theater gains 50 new audience members), and all Star Power gains are doubled for 3 turns
  • Match 3 Shine Sprites: The audience fills to capacity, and all Star Power gains are tripled for 3 turns
  • Match 3 Poison Mushrooms: The audience completely empties, and no Star Power can be gained for 3 turns

: Still with me? The more people in your audience, the more Star Power you can get. You can also use the Appeal command to get Star Power. I hope you memorized all this!

The Star Power bonuses (or penalties) from the BINGO! event do not affect the Appeal command. Of course, if you have no audience members due to a Poison Mushroom, then Appealing won't work anyway.

The BINGO! event we just had was also one of only two where the game will deliberately cheat the outcome for you. Please don't talk about the second time where that happens.

: Great Goomba's ghost! Mario! Look at your audience!

: Does that guy have a... hammer? He DOES, the bum! He means to toss it at you! if the audience members hit you with anything, you'll take damage, obviously. You have to press to stop them before they hit you.

https://fat.gfycat.com/CrispSimplisticGlassfrog.webm

: That's right! Sweet justice! You can press to protect yourself from the objects the audience throws at you. Of course, fans of yours might toss good stuff, like coins... Don't attack them!

The game makes no attempt to differentiate between a good and a bad version of this. You just see the danger stripes around the X button. So when you see it, take a moment to quickly scan the audience. It may be someone trying to sabotage you, or it just may be Luigi trying to throw you a quick HP boost.

: Well, that's all I've got! Here ends my scintillating lecture on special moves. Let's go back inside.

: Let's have a look at that Magical Map and see what we can learn about the... WOW! ASTOUNDING! This map has radar-like functions! It now shows the location of a Crystal Star! It looks like the first Crystal Star is to be found in a place called the Petal Meadows.
: Petal Meadows?
: Yes. The area is a vast meadow that lies far to the east of Rogueport. To tell you the truth... I've always thought that place was a tad suspicious. The name Petal Meadows did come up from time to time in my research.
: OK, fine. So we'll go there. Does anybody know how to get there or what?
: I'm fairly certain that somewhere beneath the city is a pipe to the Petal Meadows. If you could just find that, you'd get there instantly. Pipe travel's efficient! Say, by the way, Mario.. I'm curious. Where did you get that map, anyway?
: ...
: From Princess Peach? Really? Her Highness sent this to you, Mario?

: *nods*

: Your princess came to see me the other day. She wanted to learn about the treasure... I told her about the Crystal Stars and my suspicions about Petal Meadows... It doesn't seem likely, but perhaps she tried to go to Petal Meadows on her own...
: Y'know, Processor, there was another suspicious group asking about the same thing.
: Hrmm... But I can't imagine Princess Peach getting involved with THEM... All right! It's settled! Off to Petal Meadows you two go! If Princess Peach indeed went there, your first priority must be to catch up to her. Collecting the Crystal Stars is a means to an end... and that end is Princess Peach!

A pretty neat detail is that the map was lying open on the table until just now. Scroll back up and take a look!

: Aren't you coming, Professor?
: No, I'll stay in town and ask around about Princess Peach and that suspicious gang. Besides, I doubt a shriveled old Goomba like me could handle the trials of the road. Of course, if anything happens and you need some advice, come see me, OK?
: You got it, Professor! Well, Mario, we're off!

Walk outside and... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

: Mario, it's scary out there. Take this with you. It's called a badge, and it is incredibly helpful. You see, depending on the badges you have equipped, you'll get much more powerful. What's important is knowing what the effects will be when you first equip a badge.

Thankfully this tutorial is mercifully short. We can condense it to like 2 images.

: In that case, first press to access you menu screen.

: Use the control stick to select Badges.

: Badges require Badge Points (BP). That needs 1 BP. Equip Badge.

You get refunded spent BP when you unequip badges. There is no penalty for having a bunch of badges that you change out as the situation demands.

Yes, I will. Before you even ask. I see you back in the corner typing it out. Yes. That is EXACTLY how I plan on leveling Mario up. So don't bother asking. Yes.

If you're confused by that, just hang on until next time. We'll get our first level on Monday and I'll explain everything then.

: By the way, you need Flower Points (FP) to use the Power Smash move. In battle, you should watch not only your HP, but FP, too. Did you get all that? Well, here's hoping you find that pipe to Petal Meadows.

We're finally turned loose! We're out of the dreaded Tutorial Zone! :toot::hf::toot::hf::toot:

So of course the first order of business is to call back to something that happened last week.

We're gonna visit the badge shop!

Cute little shop. Not a lot of stock, but they're all so incredibly useful.

: That's the badge manager at the Lovely Howz of Badges. For a manager, she sure is gone from the store a lot... Where do you think she goes? This shop's small, but it's totally adorable. She really knows how to decorate.

: So! What can I do for you? (I'm buying!) What kind of badges interest you?!?

He has two options. "Special Deals" and "Others." This is the Others page, which shows a random assortment of badges available for purchase. This is a pretty nice selection. I'm sure you can imagine all sorts of uses for these.

If you ask him about Special Deals...

: If you're looking for special deals, you'll find 'em on that shelf! Otherwise stand in front of the badge you want and press !!!

: That's the badge clerk that works part-time here at the Lovely Howz of Badges. It sounds like he really wants to open his own badge shop someday. Yeah, I think he's using this job to learn the business! Talk about motivation!

That Piercing Blow badge is going to be super useful. So let's buy that.

Enemy defense is going to keep rising throughout the game, so this badge is basically going to be permanently part of our arsenal. I can't do enough to sing its praises.

Unlike The Stick of Truth, where enemy armor had some weird complicated formula where it maybe reduced incoming damage, The Thousand-Year Door is a lot less complicated.

If an enemy has 1 defense, they will straight up ignore 1 damage out of every attack. For the purposes of this calculation, the jump action command is two 1-damage attacks, while the hammer's is a single 2-damage attack. Piercing Blow causes Mario's hammer to ignore defense in its damage calculation.

It's as powerful as it sounds.

Anyway, now that we're outfitted with the most useful badge we can ever get, it's time to go meet Gus in detail.

: Whoa! Whoa! Hold up, now! You're an outsider! Past this point is the turf of Ishnail, head of the Robbos. It's 10 coins to pass through.

We COULD pay the toll blatant extortion, but he'd just demand 10 coins every time we came through. We will need to access the area beyond him quite a lot during the course of the game. As such, he needs to be taught a lesson about trying to extort passing strangers out of their hard-earned money.

: What? You gotta be kidding. You think you can fight your way through here? I'm gonna make you eat your words, tough guy! Let's get this party started!

Gus is kind of tough for an early game optional boss. He's designed to kick your poo poo in and make you want to come back later to turn him into paste. Indeed, 20 HP is a measure more than anything else we've encountered thusfar.

As such. However, if you know what you're doing you can flatten him now, if not even earlier.

https://fat.gfycat.com/AromaticLongAss.webm

Pictured: me nailing all four Stylish commands on the hammer's action command.

Also pictured: Karma. Another round of attacks, and Mario is really hurting.

: Huh! That hurt? You have no chance of beating me, trust me... So, you'd better run. Yeah, if you don't, seriously, it'll be Game Over for you! You can choose to Run from your Tactics menu. Sometimes, it's best to run.

gently caress that. :black101:

Goombella is useless in this fight. So may as well stick her in the lead and have her defend. Mario also used Sweet Treat to recover some HP and FP.

Gus can also randomly decide to hurt the person in the second row.

However, with enough applications of our hammer to his stupid face, we can beat him.

:toot:

: CRUD! You dumb video-game heroes ALWAYS pull this stuff. It's RIDICULOUS! You think violence solves everything, don't you? Huh? DON'T YOU?!?

Funny how he was fine with using violence to solve his problems until he got his rear end beat in a fair fight.

: The east side's all run-down. You can't even tell if these buildings are vacant or not. If you're down here, you darn well better have a compelling reason to be here.

: That's Swindell, the bandit. At least, I HEAR he's a thief, but I've never seen him steal. He's always whispering to Arfur about something.

: If the place is open when you're in the neighborhood, you should drop in.

: That's Arfur. He's always hanging around here. He looks totally suspicious, but apparently he lives by some super-stern moral code.

Read: Come back after Chapter 1.

I also didn't think to go into the other building, but that's just Ishnail's headquarters. We'll eventually head in there.

Anyway, after healing up, we head back underground. This is the only other airplane panel we've so far missed. So let's see where it takes us!

Oh. Well that was a short trip.

: Looks like some seawater's found its way in here, huh? Yeah, that's a health hazard. I bet some weird sea things live in there, too... so try not to fall in the water, OK? Oh! There's a pipe here that connects to Petal Meadows.

Dude, spoilers! Anyway, let's look at that weird tentacle.

: That thing's kind of soggy...

I have a bad idea.

: Bloop! BLOOOOOOOOOOOOP! (Ouch! That HURT!)

Gus is harder by every definition and measure, but this blooper is the actual final boss of the Prologue chapter.

: Bloobloobloobloop! (Who just up and whacks someone's tootsies like that?) Blooblooop! (Somebody with some serious moxie, that's who!)

: Bloobloop! Bloobloobloop! (Would you look at that? It's some saucy mustached guy!) Bloopity bloop! Blooooo! (He's in a WORLD of hurt!)

: BlooblooblooblooblooBLOOP! (I'll give him a taste of the old tentacle trample!)
: Hey, Mario! You remember what Professor Frankly told us, right? You can press to change our attack order! If your HP drops, you can press to put me in front!

Each individual tentacle has 3 HP.

: Bloo-oop! (Hey, mustache!) Blooblooblooooop? Bloooop! (You're thinking I'd taste good, aren't you? Admit it!)

:allears: This game...

The fight is basically over once you take out his tentacles. He falls from the ceiling and gets stunned for 2 turns.

Indeed, the blooper doesn't even get to act again after he gets stunned.

Power Smash is pretty powerful, y'all.

Another 20% of a level gained. :toot:

: BLUH-BLOOOOOOP!

The blooper flies off into the ceiling and some platforms raise in his wake.

This is the pipe that Goombella mentioned!

See y'all next time in Petal Meadows!

Video: Frankly Loves To Talk, Gus Boss Fight, Blooper Boss Fight

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 25, 2016

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The prologue takes a good minute to get through, just because it dumps a lot of exposition on you at once. Chapter 1 is really when the ball starts rolling! Also I never knew that Piercing Blow was a badge in this game, would have been really useful in the many times I've played this game

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

DoubleNegative posted:

Yes, I will. Before you even ask. I see you back in the corner typing it out. Yes. That is EXACTLY how I plan on leveling Mario up. So don't bother asking. Yes.

You got me. I was absolutely gonna say that.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
Hot drat, this is one of the serious contenders for "favorite game of all time" in my mind, so it's nice to see it being played thoroughly. :toot:

The final boss gave me so many problems when I first played thorough it in high school though that I literally cheated with Action Replay just to see the ending. Seriously, gently caress that dungeon and gently caress that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bingo on the other hand I could never exploit.

• Locked thread