Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
So I have been batting around an idea to start a new website that would serve as a state-by-state hub for high school athletics. It's a pretty niche topic, but from my experience in the field, is a very vocal and highly engaged fanbase. The idea is for the people in a particular state who really care about high school sports could go to one spot and could get themselves totally up to date.

At a minimum, it would be covering football, baseball, softball and basketball (boys and girls).

My concept would be to essentially create a state-specific sites, modeled after the likes of USA Today High School Sports and HuffPo.

The only problem is, I'm trying to educate myself on how it could actually work and how to possibly monetize it so that it's sustainable.

After my initial research, here is where I'm at...

- I've got site hosting and buying URLs down. No issue there. But how much does it actually cost to license content from other sources?

- What sort of staffing needs would make sense to make sure new stuff is going up?

So, I'm all ears. I appreciate any feedback and insight anyone is willing to give!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Check put phenom. Same space.

They monetize by having the kids have lockers they put their branded gear into. You then have clear and easy links into various sports merchandisers.

• Locked thread