Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I've worked with image software for years and no amount of compression, cropping, saving and recompression has ever produced anything even remotely similar. It looks like someone scanned in an old fax that had been refaxed a billion times. It just defies everything I think I know about image compression algorithms. I see text based images like this 10 times a day and I'm at my wits end trying to figure it out.

Someone please explain to me, this bullshit right here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I did it. All me.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
You'd need a few different layers, lovely emboss, masks, sharpen a poo poo ton, save, enlarge/make smaller a few times, resave as 0 quality a few times... Maybe throw in a IRL crappy photocopy layer for that final touch. :shrug:

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
I have seen people take screen shots off of phones also people use phones or cameras to take a picture of the screen.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BossRighteous posted:

. It looks like someone scanned in an old fax that had been refaxed a billion times.
If it's what I think it is (digital degradation/cyber rot/whatever term they're using), then the image is pretty much exactly a result of what you said there.

See a post you like, screenshot it, upload it, someone else screenshots/saves and uploads to somewhere, etc etc.

Eventually the cycle of Save > Upload > Save magnifies whatever imperfections are in the image.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Yeah taco bell is pretty good

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

when text looks like that it means that there is a secondary message just for reptilians.

in this case, for example, the secondary message is a subtle alteration to the initial message indicating that the reader, if they are located within a particular geographic area, is to go to a specific taco bell at a particular time in order to receive further instructions from Roy Wood Jr, who is a local section leader.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
sponsored content loving sucks

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Phone picture of computer screen saved to a haunted sd card.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Op why do you care about some scan of some guy talking about taco bell on Facebook

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
that guy is right.

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
read this: http://www.theawl.com/2014/12/the-triumphant-rise-of-the-shitpic

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I think Facebook just always runs a low-pass filter whenever you upload, whereas saving to jpg format is essentially a nilpotent operation (e.g. if it's already jpg compressed then saving as jpg with the same compression causes no change), which explains why you can't reproduce the effect.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
It's like a digital age Mimeograph copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Stinky_Pete posted:

I think Facebook just always runs a low-pass filter whenever you upload, whereas saving to jpg format is essentially a nilpotent operation (e.g. if it's already jpg compressed then saving as jpg with the same compression causes no change), which explains why you can't reproduce the effect.

These are good, thank you.

• Locked thread