Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
When we last left NCAA baseball, Virginia was finishing off one of the more improbable runs in College World Series history, coming from a game down to beat a really good Vanderbilt team and avenge the loss from the year before, in the process delivering the ACC's first baseball title in 60 years. While I'm sure we're all eager to see UVA-VU III: The Final Reckoning, there's a lot of games to play between then and now, and several hundred other teams out there competing nobly before bowing to the irresistable forces of fate.

Opening day is this Friday, February 19. Now that there's one unified opening weekend, pretty much every team will be playing somewhere as long as nature obliges. If you're new to college ball vs. the professional variety, now is the time to follow your team or adopt a random one! At this level you get position players pitching, cool pinging sounds, bunts, comedy fielding, bunts, major upsets, bunts, and the best rain delay antics pretty much every day. If you have a team near you, it's also a great way to kill an afternoonthe bigger teams are starting to up prices quite a bit, but most games at the smaller schools are still super cheap.

Polls are as meaningless in this sport as any other, but someone who looked at last year's preseason one and then none other till the end of the season would totally have seen UVA-VU II coming. So here's a few. Short version: everyone loving loves Florida and Louisville.

There's tons of info online about NCAA baseball now, and also lots of games on TV or streaming on ESPN3 or conference networks. For scoreboard options you've got D1Baseball or the NCAA itself.

elentar fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Reserving this for later stuff but also we need a proper title, I totally whiffed on anything that wasn't a super dumb pun or outdated reference.

DornerHorse
May 21, 2014

Chewie, we're Prohm
Nebraska is going to blow

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
College Baseball 2016: Managing a CinnabonChampionship in Omaha

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Texas is probably going to be pretty good. Tons of pitching talent. Don't know much else right now

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Cocks brought in a monster recruiting class, which is good because we need the help after missing the NCAA tournament for the first time in like 15 years. The program has been on an obvious and steady decline since Chad Holbrook took over, so 2016 is a big year for him. Our biggest question is probably pitching, which is a little scary.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Georgia is going to suck again.

Thanks for irreparably destroying our program, David Perno!

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Probably Augie's last or second to last year. Skip Johnson will take over soon.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

elentar posted:

Reserving this for later stuff but also we need a proper title, I totally whiffed on anything that wasn't a super dumb pun or outdated reference.

Ping Bitch

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Indiana's best player, Nick Ramos, is no longer with the team for undisclosed reasons.

It's really looking like that 2013 tournament run was just a one-time fluke and the team is slipping back into obscurity. :sigh:

At least Bart Kaufman Field is really nice.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Aggies kicked their best pitcher off the team for reasons I'm sure I don't want to know. They're still going to be really good.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Best time of year to be a Beaver fan.

Starting rotation is the biggest concern for me. Our best pitcher, Drew Rasmussen is very good, hes been reportedly rushing it up there near 100. Dont really have a #2 guy in the rotation. Interested to see Jake Thompson. He had some good moments as a frosh, but I feel like he is better suited as a #3 instead of a #2. Hopefully some of the younger guys step up and lock down spots behind Rasmussen.

I think our offense will be really good. Beavers, even when they were great with Conforto and co, didnt quite have the versatility this years lineup will have. More depth top to bottom and not as reliant on guys like Harrison to drive guys in will make this team very dangerous.

My sense is that we get to a Super Regional, though Omaha is in reach. The team is still young and will have its ups and downs, but with Casey in charge you know they are going to be competitive, accountable, and fun to watch. Have tickets for the Civil War series (vs Oregon), can't wait.

bathhouse fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 19, 2016

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State comes into season ranked, immediately drops first game to Old Dominion.

I would seriously consider paying pollsters and writers not to hype up the Wolfpack, nothing good ever happens.

Aaron Fitt of d1baseball called it "an utterly listless performance"midseason form on opening day!

edit: Oklahoma State also dropped an opener, to UT-Arlington.

both UVA and Vandy won though so destiny remains on track.

elentar fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 20, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm expecting Penn State (and B1G in general) to be pretty bad, c/d?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

NC State freshman Xavier LeGrant hit a rocket homer in his first collegiate AB. If you have an obvious supermutant on your team I dunno why you would sit him for the Friday game, but probably won't happen again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2pA_wkJvNY

edit: and State beats a good Coastal Carolina team in the Chanticleers' home park, so if they beat Kent State tomorrow the weekend's not a total loss.

elentar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 20, 2016

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Rain delay hijinks.

elentar fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 24, 2016

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Gamecocks are handling business the way they should so far. It's early and the competition has been weak, so I'm not going to get carried away, but we appear to have a lot more talent across the board. Pretty much all of the heralded freshmen/transfers have shown flashes.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Miami gonna lose to a NAIA team.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Early composite poll attached. (Had to reformat since CBI redesigned and hosed up their own tables in the process.)

Still way too early to tell much other than the clear elite carrying on at the top. Super messy after the top 5, and the coaches aren't even ranking yet. Some of the polls are much more responsive than others (and that's not necessarily a good thing, either). Will be another month or so before seeing anything more definitive.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
Way to keep your head in the game! :laugh:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Chance Shepard has homered in six straight games now, an NC State record. Still permenantly trailing Brock Deatherage and others for best name on the roster, thoguh.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

New week. Not much change. 14 out of the 20 are SEC or ACC, 4 more Pac 12.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

elentar fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 9, 2016

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

This season has already been a weird one for the Fightin' Cowbells. We had a rocky start, swept Oregon, lost two midweek games to sub-150 RPI teams, and then took the series from Vandy in Nashville. Will be interesting to see where we're at after SEC play.

e: one of our guys just hit an inside the park grand slam, lol

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 23, 2016

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Since the postseason is about to start (or already has, for lots of smaller conferences), it's probably about time to hellbump this thread.

The ACC Tournament starts Tuesday with 7 v 10 and 8 v 9 play-in games, before pool play starts on the Wednesday. Pools are:

1 Miami / 4 Florida State / 5 NC State / 8 BC or 9 Georgia Tech
2 Louisville / 3 Virginia / 6 Clemson / 7 Duke or 10 Wake

UNC, hilariously, flamed out and is not involved, though their super-high RPI might get them an NCAA bid anyway. Would be a shame if it were ahead of any of these ten though.

The SEC Tournament, which sticks to the double-elimination format after an initial play-in round, will also get started Tuesday. The top 4 seedsMississippi State, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Floridaare all locks or near-locks for national seeds, though LSU could also get in that picture with a strong showing.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sonny Golloway filed his long-awaited lawsuit against Auburn over his firing today; it's as ugly as expected and super weird. Claims he somehow had a lifetime contract that could never be terminated even with cause. Includes an accusation that the guy who replaced him, Butch Thompson, used a homphobic slur at some point this year -- which is you know, bad, but wtf does that have to do with anything? And the people he cites as the source for that said they have no idea what he's talking about.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Clemson won the ACC and probably a national seed 18-13 in a game that had like 4 stoppages :toot:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Baseball doesn't exist outside the south apparently, all 16 regionals in the South + Texas

Your 16 Regionals:
ACC: Clemson, FSU, NC State, Miami, Louisville and UVA
SEC: South Carolina, Florida, Vandy, Ole Miss, Miss St, Texas A&M, LSU
Others: Louisiana Lafayette, TCU, Texas Tech

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I don't know how State got a regional--they can beat worse teams but not anyone at their level or better. If they even make the Super Regional they'll be done in two games.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
would love to know the logic behind UofL getting the 2 over A&M or Miami

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
poo poo, Texas fired a legend right in the middle of selection Sunday.

Also of course Clemson grabbed a national seed and then sc got matched up with em. Go loving figure.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

I don't think there's a sport that's more pleasant to look at than college baseball

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Veshpo posted:

I don't think there's a sport that's more pleasant to look at than college baseball

Pac-12 Women's Volleyball

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

d1baseball is doing a Bracket Challenge with actual prizes and poo poo. No group options, but bragging rights are stupid anyway.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
Donny Everett of Vanderbilt died last night after drowning in a lake
Extremely talented player, really sad to hear of this news
RIP

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Softball! Bizarre play in the WCWS Auburn vs. Georgia. Top of the 7th, runners at the corners, one out, Auburn has already scored two to tie the game. Grounder to second, runner from first leaves the basepath to avoid the tag and is immediately called out, fielder flips to shortstop on the bag for the force anyway. Shortstop doesn't go to first to try for the double play. For some reason that no one can really tell because ESPN's camera somehow didn't cover this, the batter reaches first but seemingly believing the inning to be over, starts to leave the field but is stopped by the first base coach. She's called the third out for being assisted by a coach. It's not until they come back from commercial break that it's revealed the runner from third scored before the final out, which doesn't count as a force play, and the go-ahead and eventual game-winning run was in.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
:lol: that sounds amazing

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Good to see the SEC are being exposed as frauds in another sport.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
HELL YEAH HUSKIES!!

Meggs can feel better about losing that fly in the lights earlier in the night.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Well the situation for Vandy is sad but I'm excited UW gets another shot at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is the 10 run rule in effect for the tourney? The Aggies are taking Wake to pound town

• Locked thread