Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

VIDEOS

00: Attract Mode
01: The Lost Land
02: Bad Blood (1)
03: Bad Blood (2)
04: Death Valley, Reunions
05: Ghost In The Shadow
06: Mother Superior
07: Killing Fields, The Shortest Straw
08: Down And Out
09: Heroes End
10: Salt In A Wound
11: End Of The Road, Into The Breach
12: An Eye For An Eye
EX: Theater Mode

Turok is a 2008 first-person shooter developed for seventh-generation consoles by Propaganda Games (TRON: Evolution, TRON: Evolution: Battle Grids) and published by Touchstone (Turok, Turok). In it, players assume the role of Joseph Turok, a former member of Wolf Pack now working with Whiskey Company on an important mission to capture Wolf Pack's leader and bring him back to Earth. Also, it's got dinosaurs in it.

DISCLAIMER: Turok is presented entirely without the aid of subtitles. My comrades and I did our best to avoid talking over important dialogue, but there's a fair amount of mid-mission chatter that we didn't see coming. Once the LP is finished, I'll be uploading a "Theater Mode" video with all of the cutscenes strung together.

I'm Phenwah, joined as always by Lobst and DemoWeasel. Welcome to Turok!

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

01: The Lost Land

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
I remember rarely using guns in this game, and instead going with the knife for most of it unless I couldn't get to them.

It was pretty satisfying taking out dinos with the combat knife.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

That field of view could be smaller

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Spudd posted:

That field of view could be smaller

I don't get motion sick when playing games but thanks to the tiny FoV Turok was the game that got me pretty close.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hey, I remember hearing about this back when it came out. It's already proving entertainingly bad, some real peak mid-2000s FPS stuff right here.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Wow. They were really trying to emulate Aliens with that cryogenics opening scene along with the cro-magnon character design of Gears of War, weren't they? Although the idea of people being frozen in that type of combat gear seems... strangely hilarious to me for some reason?

Edit: Holy Hell the cutscenes are TERRIBLY directed. Turok and Caine were within kissing distance and when that soldier came to strike him they were suddenly four feet away? And, to continue with them ripping off Aliens wholesale, I'm pretty sure that siren that's sounding when the ship is crashed is from Alien.

Edit Edit: Holy God, do you not see what the ammo count in the magazine of your guns is?!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 17, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Samovar posted:

Wow. They were really trying to emulate Aliens with that cryogenics opening scene along with the cro-magnon character design of Gears of War, weren't they? Although the idea of people being frozen in that type of combat gear seems... strangely hilarious to me for some reason?

Edit: Holy Hell the cutscenes are TERRIBLY directed. Turok and Caine were within kissing distance and when that soldier came to strike him they were suddenly four feet away? And, to continue with them ripping off Aliens wholesale, I'm pretty sure that siren that's sounding when the ship is crashed is from Alien.

Edit Edit: Holy God, do you not see what the ammo count in the magazine of your guns is?!

Aliens was a good movie, I'm glad we're all in agreement here. :colbert:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

Aliens was a good movie, I'm glad we're all in agreement here. :colbert:

I would never disagree with your statement - I merely know this game is a pale shadow of the movie.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
I've always wanted to play this game cause it seemed like the "It's so bad it has to be enjoyable" sort of way.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Ron Perlman out of loving nowhere. :psyduck:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No one apart from Turok seems to have a name so when I played this I just mentally referred to all the other characters as BEEF SLAB

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I think that first fight against the tiny dinos was the developers aiming for the " you only see the rustling grass as the monsters in it close in on you" without realizing how goddamn annoying that can be in a FPS. Also Slade is not Ron Perlman? drat that guy does a good impression then.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ron Perlman is one of the BEEF SLABS yeah

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

I think that first fight against the tiny dinos was the developers aiming for the " you only see the rustling grass as the monsters in it close in on you" without realizing how goddamn annoying that can be in a FPS. Also Slade is not Ron Perlman? drat that guy does a good impression then.

Slade is Ron Perlman.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

In today's video, Turok's knife slashes up some dinosaur necks and Slade chews up all the scenery. There's no scenery left!

02: Bad Blood (1)

AMReese posted:

I remember rarely using guns in this game, and instead going with the knife for most of it unless I couldn't get to them.

It was pretty satisfying taking out dinos with the combat knife.
Yeah, you can pretty much mash RT through the dinosaur-only encounters and come out on top.

Samovar posted:

Turok is definitively derivative of things that aren't Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (N64) in a by-the-numbers sort of way.

Samovar posted:

That would ruin the immersion!

Crane Fist posted:

Ron Perlman is one of the BEEF SLABS yeah
BEEF SLABS is a much better name than WHISKEY COMPANY.

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 24, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
As this is a CCC LP, I was wondering what sort of inevitable ridiculousness would come up. Then you QTE-killed thirteen small raptors in one spot. I counted.

In fact, I'm just gonna keep keep counting the QTE kills:
17 small raptors, 7 large raptors, and 1 helghast.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Phenwah posted:

BEEF SLABS is a much better name than WHISKEY COMPANY.

Maybe if it was like WHISKEY AND CIGARS AND CHEWING GRAVEL COMPANY it would be better

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
There's a "Turok: Son of stone" animated movie, although I now don't completely remember how I came upon it or watched it. There's only a stub for it on imdb with a rating of 6 something, but I think I quite enjoyed it, even though I've never read the comics, and it seemed to be another variation on the Lost World.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I think Turok has killed more dinosaurs than the K-T asteroid.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

supermikhail posted:

There's a "Turok: Son of stone" animated movie, although I now don't completely remember how I came upon it or watched it. There's only a stub for it on imdb with a rating of 6 something, but I think I quite enjoyed it, even though I've never read the comics, and it seemed to be another variation on the Lost World.

it's surprisingly decent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtTqOW5TBw

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I must be 5 years old because I can't stop smiling at the typo in the video description on that.

Classic Media and TWC bring you TURKOK, Son Of Stone on DVD

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

In today's video, we're barely half an hour into Turok and we've already forgotten most of the critical plot details. Hope you like elevators!

03: Bad Blood (2)

Fish Noise posted:

As this is a CCC LP, I was wondering what sort of inevitable ridiculousness would come up. Then you QTE-killed thirteen small raptors in one spot. I counted.
That's great! I didn't realize we'd established a brand for pulling these sorts of antics; thank you!

PS: "knife kill-counter" is the new "boosh counter," clearly.

Crane Fist posted:

Maybe if it was like WHISKEY AND CIGARS AND CHEWING GRAVEL COMPANY it would be better
SANDPAPER AND FORD PICK-UP TRUCKS COMPANY

supermikhail posted:

Good find! I keep forgetting Turok has an actual established lore beyond the N64 games.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
It looked like we got an answer to Demoweasel's question about enemies reacting to leg shots. During the first excruciating elevator sequence, a guy got knee-capped and it made him take a knee for a moment, then he popped right back up and kept firing and strafing like nothing had happened

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 25, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Fiendly posted:

It looked like we got an answer to Demoweasel's question about enemies reacting to leg shots. During the first excruciating elevator sequence, a guy got knee-capped and it made him take a knee for a moment, then he popped right back up and kept firing and strafing like nothing had happened.

You fool! Don't you realize what you've set up for goons to run into the ground!? :supaburn:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

The overall unremarkability of this game so far is almost impressive.
At least the grenade pistol seems good, and the chain dinosaur stabbing is what it is. I think the failure-to-stab moments actually make those funnier. Large man chasing birds and Helghast going IMMAGETCHA

Speaking of which: 1 small raptor, 2 large raptors, 6 Helghast
Total: 18 small raptors, 9 large raptors, 7 Helghast

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Phenwah posted:

Good find! I keep forgetting Turok has an actual established lore beyond the N64 games.

whooooooa, the full movie is on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R0_BLaTW64

it's good. i recommend for anyone interested. it's like watching an extended Heavy Metal segment

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 25, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Did this game really have a white guy shame Turok about not being proud of his heritage by not being interested in using a composite bow in the age of loving Space Marines? Is this the reason why Turok left Wolf Pack? Because he couldn't go 5 minutes without Grunge Colonel Kurtz never loving shutting up about knowing apparently everything about the tribe he comes from?

"Turok, you should be more open to an all protein diet because your ancestors were totally into Buffalo meat like the kind I've synthesized here in our star trek vending machine."

"Turok, you should be accustomed to wearing this headdress that I've bought off of Space E-Bay for you."

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 25, 2016

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Happy to finally see the only Turok game I haven't played yet. I heard it was pretty much knife everything forever but god drat. It actually looks less fun to play than evolution.

This seems really easy to get lost in.

PSWII60 fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 25, 2016

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I do have to wonder where this game was made. Not because there's something that seems off about this game but because I'm pretty sure wasting Ron Perlman like this is illegal in most countries recognized by the UN.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Which was the Turok game with the cyborg Confederate soldier? Because 'cyborg Confederate soldier tries to kill Native American' is a thing that happened in a reasonably modern game.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Why is Turok having such a hard time holding a compound bow drawn? It's one of the advantages with a compound bow, once you fully draw it, the draw weight becomes much lower. Or maybe some genius designed the pulleys so that fully drawn actually maximizes the draw weight?

Anyway, I think that if you have shooter with dinosaurs, all you really need is for the shooting to be good, both when fighting humans and dinosaurs. You don't need to try too hard with the dialogs.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You know what gets me? The fact that ammo pick-ups don't make a noise. Every shooter since bleedin' Wolfenstein has had a noise to go with an ammo pick-up. Seeing 'you picked up some ammo' is really... weird by itself.

Edit: Ohhh. NOW I see how the 'ammo counter' works, at least on the SMG. Although, the fact that the arrows are numbered then makes it all seem pointless.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 25, 2016

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Which was the Turok game with the cyborg Confederate soldier? Because 'cyborg Confederate soldier tries to kill Native American' is a thing that happened in a reasonably modern game.

That's Turok Evolution.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PSWII60 posted:

That's Turok Evolution.

The Confederate soldier in question was Captain Tobias Bruckner:

Tal'set cuts his arm off and kicks his rear end all the way to the Lost Land. However, that's where Brucker gets a robot arm:

In the final encounter, he rides around on a Rocket-Launcher-Flame-Thrower-TRex and you kill him by dropping trees on him (Tal'set is such a badass that he can cut them down in a single axe stroke). Too bad its absurdity couldn't save Turok: Evolution from being pretty boring.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crabtree posted:

Did this game really have a white guy shame Turok about not being proud of his heritage by not being interested in using a composite bow in the age of loving Space Marines? Is this the reason why Turok left Wolf Pack? Because he couldn't go 5 minutes without Grunge Colonel Kurtz never loving shutting up about knowing apparently everything about the tribe he comes from?

Is there a term for the Native American version of weaboos?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Blind Sally posted:

The Confederate soldier in question was Captain Tobias Bruckner:

Tal'set cuts his arm off and kicks his rear end all the way to the Lost Land. However, that's where Brucker gets a robot arm:

In the final encounter, he rides around on a Rocket-Launcher-Flame-Thrower-TRex and you kill him by dropping trees on him (Tal'set is such a badass that he can cut them down in a single axe stroke). Too bad its absurdity couldn't save Turok: Evolution from being pretty boring.

Then he gets eaten by Compys because Tal'set thought he did not deserve a warrior's death or some Klingon poo poo like that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bruceski posted:

Is there a term for the Native American version of weaboos?

hippies

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
that's not a joke, i'm being 100% serious. that's the term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Crabtree posted:

"Turok, you should be more open to an all protein diet because your ancestors were totally into Buffalo meat like the kind I've synthesized here in our star trek vending machine."

"Turok, you should be accustomed to wearing this headdress that I've bought off of Space E-Bay for you."
I like this post.

I like it so much that I made these:

And then I thought, "how much more of a scumbag can I make this guy?"

Here's the base.

• Locked thread