Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it fuckin owns

she fukin hates it

it cost $300

this thing fukin owns

what bad rear end things can we do on our chomebooks? me? I'm watching some poo poo thing on Netflix

fuckin owns

I should get a chrome cast for this ownage celeron device

how much do you love chome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
chodebook

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

my man echi you never fail to impress me with ur dankness

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
also op its sad that ur a poor and unable to buy a proper laptop for your wife but i guess a farmers salary makes things tight

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

my stepmom got one because she said all she wanted was something to do facebook, browsing, and email so I figured hey why not a chromebook and suggested one, helped her figure it out while I was over and all that jazz

welp now she hates it because yeah it won't do anything other than browse, facebook, email and light document poo poo, her work web portal thing doesnt work well on it, she cant install windows programs (duh)

lesson learned: no one really "just browses the internet"

they need to install poo poo and when they find out they have a halfputer they are gonna regret the choice

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ive had the opposite experience with some olds who wanted something that wouldnt get cryptolockered again. they got a chromebox that i put 8gb of ram in and it cost less than $200 after ram and kvm switch so they could still have their w7 machine manage their printer

it does everything they want which was just browsing and photo backup and uploads and it runs extremely well and the only problem they ever have with it is that windows 7 sometimes just deletes the two printers they have attached to it and i have to reinstall them

why do olds love printing so loving much?

Feb 24, 2013

the toshiba 2 is perfect in every way, except it cant read cdfs

and the audio is terrible

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

LastInLine posted:

ive had the opposite experience with some olds who wanted something that wouldnt get cryptolockered again. they got a chromebox that i put 8gb of ram in and it cost less than $200 after ram and kvm switch so they could still have their w7 machine manage their printer

it does everything they want which was just browsing and photo backup and uploads and it runs extremely well and the only problem they ever have with it is that windows 7 sometimes just deletes the two printers they have attached to it and i have to reinstall them

why do olds love printing so loving much?

gotta print every single email

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

she fukin hates it

your wife has better taste and judgement than you congrats

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

graph posted:

your wife has better taste and judgement than you congrats

unlikely cause she married a farmer

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cat Face Joe posted:

unlikely cause she married a farmer

savage

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

it massages all the right spots

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

LastInLine posted:

kvm switch so they could still have their w7 machine manage their printer

the gently caress

ok apparently chromeos doesn't do local printers at all (lol?), but at least get them a network printer or plug it into their router or something, jeez

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

raspi as a network bridge would probably be cheaper than a new printer

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

SO DEMANDING posted:

the gently caress

ok apparently chromeos doesn't do local printers at all

chomarf

yup grandma's totally gonna be able to do this http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-print-from-a-chromebook/

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

on the print thing to be fair a lot of printers let you login to your google docs now right on the printers little touch screen it's real easy

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

SO DEMANDING posted:

the gently caress

ok apparently chromeos doesn't do local printers at all (lol?), but at least get them a network printer or plug it into their router or something, jeez

i bought a chromebook for a poor family secret santa thing last year, now i feel bad

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i think chomeos basically only works with printers that support googles cloud print

not just any network printer tho because that still requires drivers

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Any of the Cloud Print ready devices, or for everything else another PC running Chome that can share it over the :yayclod:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

let's use the internet to connect two devices that can touch each other

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

flakeloaf posted:

let's use the internet to connect two devices that can touch each other

centralized and simplified management of devices is actually good

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
crouton rules and so does this sticker thanks google and toshiba

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

centralized and simplified management of devices is actually good

true if perhaps silly in the case of one user with one computer and one local printer because that's why usb exists

quote:

Google Cloud Print can print to either a Cloud Ready printer that can connect directly to the Internet or a classic printer that is plugged into a Windows or Mac computer with Internet access.

wait so if you have a printer that can't connect to the internet you need a second computer running a different os so your chromebook can print? I can't be reading that right.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

do chromebooks work when you have spotty/no internet connection?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
farmer haters wife, abuses her with Linux computer

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
printing sucks on every computer. the cups daemon is a fuCKtard!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i ahve no priting isues from this pc, and both printers are wifi :smugmrgw:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

chomebooks are cool + good

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

I got gentoo running on a toshiba 2, it's good albeit compiling on a fanless celeron takes forever. No crouton poo poo though, you can get those machines running seabios now

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

The Management posted:

farmer haters wife, abuses her with Linux computer

My sister in law was having issues with her laptop. So I installed fedora 23 on that bad laptop and left and now she hates her laptop even more.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

mishaq posted:

chomebooks are cool + good

Straight up.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

chomebooks are great for people with limited budgets (poors) who just need a basic computer that's not gonna get a million viruses and struggle to boot in under 5 minutes after a year of being loaded up with garbage on its 5400 rpm spinny drive

chomebooks can take usb cellular data modems which is awesome for people who dont have a fixed internet connection

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

"This piece of poo poo cant even run Skype" - Moo Cow's darling wife, about an hour ago.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

mishaq posted:

chomebooks are great for people with limited budgets (poors) who just need a basic computer that's not gonna get a million viruses and struggle to boot in under 5 minutes after a year of being loaded up with garbage on its 5400 rpm spinny drive

chomebooks can take usb cellular data modems which is awesome for people who dont have a fixed internet connection

sucks being poor with all these acres of grasslands and near-harvest pine forest sucks being poor but at least I got my wife a computer!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

buy your loved one a loving macbook you dolts, theyll suck on your whatever!!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

i did and then my 3 year old child poured an entire cup of iced coffee into the keyboard and I was all like "gently caress you timb, bricking my macbook" so i am now a google devotee :google:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This is what happens when your MacBook Pro sustains water damage.They are pro machines and they don’t like water. It sounds like you’re just looking for someone to get mad at other than yourself.

Steve

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

"This piece of poo poo cant even run Skype" - Moo Cow's darling wife, about an hour ago.

the proper response is "what kind of idiot would ever use skype?"

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my wife, you son of a bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

wait so if you have a printer that can't connect to the internet you need a second computer running a different os so your chromebook can print? I can't be reading that right.

basically its like they said it either needs to support google cloud print or some other machine has to handle it as a printer either local or network and be turned on

given that the printer (and the people) are a million years old they arent willing to plunk down upwards of $80 to buy a new laser printer but will happily spend $40 on ink multiple times a year

honestly if theyd just buy the cheapest b&w laser and use a service for photo prints theyd come out ahead in less than a year but they arent big on math

• Locked thread