Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Going over there from the 18th to the 26th, 'cause of Geekbowl.

I've been looking up some things to do, checking out shopping and some markets, but I'm really spoiled for choice when it comes to beer and whiskey tours as well as restaurants. Any gems one really should visit?

On that note, are there any Colorado or Denver specific things that one can purchase? Like a local co-op or supermarket? I always enjoy visiting foreign supermarkets and trying out the different stuff.

Cannabis btw doesn't do a whole lot for me, so you can make reccs on that if you want.

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Do you mean February? Are you here now? If so, I hope you're enjoying this amazing weather! Good breweries to visit include TRVE, Black Sky (if you're into pizza and death metal), also, if you take the Light rail train to Golden, you can tour the Coors brewery and get 3 free drinks at the end. Golden is beautiful itself. Where are you staying? Broadway has a lot of good bars, restaurants etc packed into a small area, great for walking around.

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Also, Stranahan's if you're into whiskey

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

jeff smisek posted:

Also, Stranahan's if you're into whiskey

Yea, this place was legit. What exactly is Golden and Broadway? Neighbourhoods? We have a rental btw.

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

Golden is a nice town about 15 min from Denver, right up against the mountains, and Broadway is a street and neighborhood area that is close to downtown.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Golden sounds nice. Are there any places that stock specifically local products? Are there any other markets than the flea one that opens in april? Is the honey smoked salmon good?

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

I don't think you're really going to find any markets this time of year, but lots of places sell stuff like elk meat and buffalo. Actually, now that I think about it, there's a sort of indoor market called The Source that my friend told me about. If you look on google maps, it should be easy to find. I've never been there, but I bet you can find a lot of local stuff there. Also, the salmon is good, but around here its either farmed or comes from Alaska. It's better in Alaska ;)

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

I'm just content to relax and drown within myself
Just curious as to how you did at Geek Bowl? A bunch of us from San Antonio also headed up to Denver last weekend for the same reason.

We had a blast in Denver and are definitely going again next year. It was very short, so we never left Denver proper but next time we plan on it. We stayed right downtown. I wish we had stayed in one of the neighborhoods instead (hotel was great, but 16th St Mall area is just okay and well, like that sort of thing anywhere). GB was at Magness Arena and I dug the area down by the University. We were lucky to hang out down Colfax too and found some pretty cool neighborhoods to see. And we did get to eat very well too, Work & Class was amazingly good on Larimer and we had a good brekky at Denver Biscuit Co before GB.

Dumb anecdote: We finished in the middle of the pack (as in 115th out of 230, couldn't be more middle), but we heard the stories of gently caress Philadelphia all night (this was my first GB) and the Philly team finished on the podium. The next night, after most of our team went home, two of our team (not us) hooked up with some Texas Quizmasters that were still around. They went to another pub quiz where they beat the same Philadelphia team. My mates were very, very pleased.

Hope you enjoyed yourself as much as we did.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
We were uhh, 72nd. So top third, not bad considering we had almost half the team drop out.

Thanks for the advice btw Jeff.

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

Right on, we were aiming that high, but didn't quite get there (and sadly had NO one drop out, so actually being old and out of touch is our excuse).

Any Denver restaurant tips or cool bars we can check out next year?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

starksfergie posted:

Right on, we were aiming that high, but didn't quite get there (and sadly had NO one drop out, so actually being old and out of touch is our excuse).

Any Denver restaurant tips or cool bars we can check out next year?
Check out the Stranahan brewery tour, for free licker? Oh, and I loved the botanical gardens, but the only exhibitions alive were the inside ones. Still loved them.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Went to Black Sky Brewery. The beer was ok, the pizza was really good.

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

Excellent, thanks for the nods. The good things is next year's Geek Bowl is at the Fillmore, so it isn't as far flung.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Forget Stranahan's. Go to Laws Whiskey House.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
Great Divide brewery is good early Friday evenings.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

starksfergie posted:

Excellent, thanks for the nods. The good things is next year's Geek Bowl is at the Fillmore, so it isn't as far flung.

Wait, where did you hear about next year's location (I'm planning to the my third Geek Bowl)? Last thing I got was an email survey asking about venues, but I was hoping it was going to be Seattle...

edit: we were 75th

Kitsch! fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 12, 2016

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

Funny you ask, I seem to be the only one who saw it on the big board. It said that the 2017 episode was at the Fillmore West in Denver. No one else seems to have seen that, just me. So maybe I imagined it, but it was a very specific memory to have made it up. I don't think I did, but I cannot confirm it anywhere either?

My local quizmasters were at Geek Bowl with us and they were surprised when I told them too. So I guess watch this space, they may not know until the summer or fall where the next one will be. (Even though Seattle isn't close, I'd love to visit there next year)

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
(I know this is a bit off topic, but you don't seem to have/accept PMs :) )

Strange I don't remember seeing that either - I know GWD isn't gonna post the 'theme quiz' teaser image again that they showed at GBX; that was just a bit of a preview, per them.

I know it was held 2011 at the Fillmore? I just figured it was way too big this year to NOT host future events at maybe conventions centers or arena.

Still planning to go most likely wherever they hold it anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starksfergie
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, sorry for the off topic conversation - and no I don't have PMs sorry, I almost never post either :)

If I hear something I'll post it, but I highly doubt that will happen (and I won't be surprised if they do hold it again in Denver after being away 5 years)

• Locked thread