Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I am writing today, to voice my concern and outrage over the increasing homeless and drug problem that the city is faced with. I’ve been living in SF for over three years, and without a doubt it is the worst it has ever been. Every day, on my way to, and from work, I see people sprawled across the sidewalk, tent cities, human feces, and the faces of addiction. The city is becoming a shanty town… Worst of all, it is unsafe.

This holiday weekend, I had my parents in town from Santa Barbara and relatives from Denver and Rochester New York. Unfortunately, there was three separate incidents and countless times that we were approached for money and harassed.

The first incident involved a homeless drunken man in the morning coming up to their car and leaning up against it. Another bystander got frustrated with the drunken man, and they got into a heated pushing and shoving altercation.

The second incident occurred as we were leaving Tadich Grill in the financial district. A distraught, and high person was right in front of the restaurant, yelling, screaming, yelling about cocaine, and even, attempted to pull his pants down and show his genitals.

Finally, last night Valentines, I was at Kabuki Theater inside watching a movie. About two hours into the film, a man stumbled in the front door. He proceeded to walk into the theater, down the aisle to the front, wobbled toward the emergency door, opened it, and then took his shirt off and laid down. He then came back into the theater shielding his eyes from the running projector. My girlfriend was terrified and myself and many people ran out of the theater.

What are you going to do to address this problem? The residents of this amazing city no longer feel safe. I know people are frustrated about gentrification happening in the city, but the reality is, we live in a free market society. The wealthy working people have earned their right to live in the city. They went out, got an education, work hard, and earned it. I shouldn’t have to worry about being accosted. I shouldn’t have to see the pain, struggle, and despair of homeless people to and from my way to work every day. I want my parents when they come visit to have a great experience, and enjoy this special place.

I am telling you, there is going to be a revolution. People on both sides are frustrated, and you can sense the anger. The city needs to tackle this problem head on, it can no longer ignore it and let people do whatever they want in the city. I don’t have a magic solution… It is a very difficult and complex situation, but somehow during Super Bowl, almost all of the homeless and riff raff[1] seem to up and vanish. I’m willing to bet that was not a coincidence. Money and political pressure can make change. So it is time to start making progress, or we as citizens will make a change in leadership and elect new officials who can.

Democracy is not the last stop in politics. In-fact, the order of progression according to Socrates via Plato in the Republic goes: timocracy, oligarchy, democracy, and finally tyranny. Socrates argues that a society will decay and pass through each government in succession, eventually becoming a tyranny.

“The greater my city, the greater the individual.”

[1] I want to apologize for using the term riff raff. It was insensitive and counterproductive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
CUT MY LIFE IN TO PIECES

THIS IS MY LAST RESORT

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Race Realists posted:

I’ve been living in SF for over three years,

gently caress you. You're the problem, you hipster piece of poo poo. I hope you slip in a pile of homeless poo poo and fall and brain yourself and die. Move away, rear end in a top hat. You ruined the city.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Watching a movie in a kabuki theater? Hmmm, doesn't seem right.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i read the op

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

jk

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
HAHAHAH

https://twitter.com/johnny5sf/with_replies

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Source your quotes, parasite

e: I hope somebody pisses on that guy

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLuLreCnC5o

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Walked through the tenderloin on the way to Japan town at 2pm on a sunny day once just to do it.

Saw a cop on one block.

One block away naked 20 something dude, sweaty and unwashed was croched next to a car and shooting up in his thigh.

Piss is the least offensive smell on the streets.

Also I'm not fond of the two or three "gentlemen" who take up positions flanking the entrance to every corner store/bodega looking for a opportunity to rob someone. Third guy is usually cruising around in a circle on a bike.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Race Realists posted:

timocracy, oligarchy, democracy, and finally tyranny. Socrates argues that a society will decay and pass through each government in succession, eventually becoming a tyranny.

Socrates was wrong. it's democracy, then oligarchy

also: Trump will build a big island like the Indo-Chinese are doing in their southern seas, and send the homeless there

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I hope that earthquake finally brings SF to it's knees and we can build anew from the ashes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

Walked through the tenderloin on the way to Japan town at 2pm on a sunny day once just to do it.

Saw a cop on one block.

One block away naked 20 something dude, sweaty and unwashed was croched next to a car and shooting up in his thigh.

Also I'm not fond of the two or three "gentlemen" who take up positions flanking the entrance to every corner store/bodega looking for a opportunity to rob someone. Third guy is usually cruising around in a circle on a bike.

Greatest SF moment was seeing two SF cops trying to catch a nude homeless shouting "kill the Irish" running down the street

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Socrates was wrong. it's democracy, then oligarchy

also: Trump will build a big island like the Indo-Chinese are doing in their southern seas, and send the homeless there

I want trump to make escape from LA real.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Saw a cop on one block.

I had a very different experience walking through the TL at 2am.

xsuperkidx
Sep 21, 2000

Bread Liar
lol of course this guy would use Rinse to do his laundry because he is a big important founder™

I'm pretty sure this city is incredibly safe unless you are a car window and its certainly has gotten much safer in the last 3 years. Dude probably just doesnt want to try to explain to his parents why they are paying $3000/mo for him to live in a studio in the TL.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
So simple to resolve. Send death squads with automatic rifles out to slaughter the poor, have their bodies taken out to the desert, dumped in trenches, burned with diesel fuel and buried. People will learn to not be hobo drug addicts or they will get torn asunder and thrown away like garbage.

Glad I could help.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Race Realists posted:

I am writing today, to voice my concern and outrage over the increasing homeless and drug problem that the city is faced with. I’ve been living in SF for over three years, and without a doubt it is the worst it has ever been. Every day, on my way to, and from work, I see people sprawled across the sidewalk, tent cities, human feces, and the faces of addiction. The city is becoming a shanty town… Worst of all, it is unsafe.

This holiday weekend, I had my parents in town from Santa Barbara and relatives from Denver and Rochester New York. Unfortunately, there was three separate incidents and countless times that we were approached for money and harassed.

The first incident involved a homeless drunken man in the morning coming up to their car and leaning up against it. Another bystander got frustrated with the drunken man, and they got into a heated pushing and shoving altercation.

The second incident occurred as we were leaving Tadich Grill in the financial district. A distraught, and high person was right in front of the restaurant, yelling, screaming, yelling about cocaine, and even, attempted to pull his pants down and show his genitals.

Finally, last night Valentines, I was at Kabuki Theater inside watching a movie. About two hours into the film, a man stumbled in the front door. He proceeded to walk into the theater, down the aisle to the front, wobbled toward the emergency door, opened it, and then took his shirt off and laid down. He then came back into the theater shielding his eyes from the running projector. My girlfriend was terrified and myself and many people ran out of the theater.

What are you going to do to address this problem? The residents of this amazing city no longer feel safe. I know people are frustrated about gentrification happening in the city, but the reality is, we live in a free market society. The wealthy working people have earned their right to live in the city. They went out, got an education, work hard, and earned it. I shouldn’t have to worry about being accosted. I shouldn’t have to see the pain, struggle, and despair of homeless people to and from my way to work every day. I want my parents when they come visit to have a great experience, and enjoy this special place.

I am telling you, there is going to be a revolution. People on both sides are frustrated, and you can sense the anger. The city needs to tackle this problem head on, it can no longer ignore it and let people do whatever they want in the city. I don’t have a magic solution… It is a very difficult and complex situation, but somehow during Super Bowl, almost all of the homeless and riff raff[1] seem to up and vanish. I’m willing to bet that was not a coincidence. Money and political pressure can make change. So it is time to start making progress, or we as citizens will make a change in leadership and elect new officials who can.

Democracy is not the last stop in politics. In-fact, the order of progression according to Socrates via Plato in the Republic goes: timocracy, oligarchy, democracy, and finally tyranny. Socrates argues that a society will decay and pass through each government in succession, eventually becoming a tyranny.

“The greater my city, the greater the individual.”

[1] I want to apologize for using the term riff raff. It was insensitive and counterproductive.

did you ever consider that the common element in all of these incidents is you, op? makes you think

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

xsuperkidx posted:

I'm pretty sure this city is incredibly safe unless you are a car window

SF has a higher violent crime rate than most US cities. It has one of the highest rates on the west coast too, often coming in second only to Oakland (which is literally right next to SF and has one of the highest violent crime rates in the nation). What I'm saying is, you're a dumb rear end if you think SF is "incredibly safe" by US standards.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Rah! posted:

SF has a higher violent crime rate than most US cities. It has one of the highest rates on the west coast too, often coming in second only to Oakland (which is literally right next to SF and has one of the highest violent crime rates in the nation). What I'm saying is, you're a dumb rear end if you think SF is "incredibly safe" by US standards.

- a babby

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Sorry OP, the legions of drug-addled, unwashed homeless were here first, and have been for three generations.
Summer of Love, baby.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

yeah SF is a magical candyland of safeness

*gets stabbed in front of city hall*

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

can't wait for the tech bubble to burst and San Francisco to become Detroit Part II so that this whiny rich baby can join the homeless people he hates so much

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Whoops, forgot to say "suck it OP"

Suck it OP.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

more bum stories plz

youre totally looking at this the wrong way. for 25 dollars you can p much pay a group of homeless meth'd up gay teens to start a race riot

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

remember kids, when in rome, piss on everything

if youre not using this surplus of human detritus as an excuse to mark your territory all over downtown then i dont know what to tell you

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

Sorry OP, the legions of drug-addled, unwashed homeless were here first, and have been for three generations.
Summer of Love, baby.

more like 5 generations.

the homeless lifecycle is tragically short. the nations top scientists have spent literally tens of dollars to figure out why this is and so far they've only discovered how sweet crack is.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
My dad still thinks San Fran is full of homos and hippies. Lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

more bum stories plz

youre totally looking at this the wrong way. for 25 dollars you can p much pay a group of homeless meth'd up gay teens to start a race riot

some of my SF bum stories:

once a homeless dude offered to show me his open sores
once a homeless dude fell down some stairs and broke his head and died
once a homeless dude stole my sweatshirt
once a homeless dude who looked like santa claus helped me in a street fight
once a homeless dude sold me a poo poo ton of weed for very cheap

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Lol socrates was wrong about almost everything, it was his line of inquiry that was ahead of his time

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Rah! posted:

some of my SF bum stories:

once a homeless dude offered to show me his open sores
once a homeless dude fell down some stairs and broke his head and died
once a homeless dude stole my sweatshirt
once a homeless dude who looked like santa claus helped me in a street fight
once a homeless dude sold me a poo poo ton of weed for very cheap

this comes out to a net positive in hobo-human relations. how cool were the sores? was it like a sarcoma-based rorsach test?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

this comes out to a net positive in hobo-human relations. how cool were the sores? was it like a sarcoma-based rorsach test?

They were leaking, and on his neck. He also proudly told me that he hadn't showered in two months

edit: on second thought, he probably was just a goon, not homeless

Rah! has issued a correction as of 06:33 on Feb 19, 2016

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

he wasn't a hobo but my favorite story was when this dude was parked next to me and he was sitting in the passenger seat with the door open surrounded by 40s talkin on his cell phone and when i was approaching to open my car door he just got up and started pissing, right there on the white line between the parking space, staring me right in the eyes, and i was like, wow rude

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Y-Hat posted:

can't wait for the tech bubble to burst and San Francisco to become Detroit Part II so that this whiny rich baby can join the homeless people he hates so much
detroit has one of the richest neighborhoods in the united states

so probably not

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If you're going to San Francisco, be sure you make more than 100k a year.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

etalian posted:

If you're going to San Francisco, be sure you make more than 100k a year.

And go to a cafe in Berkeley or Oakland where girls who just got out of yoga class hang out and talk about how much you make to a convenient buddy. You immediately become the center of attention.

:smith:

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

And go to a cafe in Berkeley or Oakland where girls who just got out of yoga class hang out and talk about how much you make to a convenient buddy. You immediately become the center of attention.

:smith:

seriously?! would think they'd be p unimpressed with that kind of thing since rear end in a top hat tech hipsters with more money than sense are literally everywhere here

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

San Francisco has been a homeless Mecca since 1849.

For real though, these people making GBS threads all over the street aren't blue collar workers displaced by gentrifying tech bros. They're mentally ill and abandoned by the state. I guess if you want to draw connections between the Illuminati and their monetary control over the state via superpacs and what have you, go ahead.

Thanks Reagan.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i also get terrified and run out of theaters because a shirtless man laid down in a theater

????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i also get terrified and run out of theaters because a shirtless man laid down in a theater

????

It's not that strange these days to be afraid if a crazy man runs into a theater all of a sudden.

• Locked thread