Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I mean, the bear thing is really interesting.

Making yourself seem big and making lots of noise will probably scare away a black bear, but not necessarily a grizzly. So the instinct of the thread to do that is actually founded in at least some logic. It's literally that the thread got the species of bear wrong and I think that's an understandable error instead of being monumentally stupid.

What's interesting is that we climb a tree to avoid the bear, which actually makes no sense since bears are really good at climbing. And then the bear somehow doesn't pursue us up the tree because I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So I mean, the bear thing is really interesting.

Making yourself seem big and making lots of noise will probably scare away a black bear, but not necessarily a grizzly. So the instinct of the thread to do that is actually founded in at least some logic. It's literally that the thread got the species of bear wrong and I think that's an understandable error instead of being monumentally stupid.

What's interesting is that we climb a tree to avoid the bear, which actually makes no sense since bears are really good at climbing. And then the bear somehow doesn't pursue us up the tree because I don't know.
The bear was obviously a secret melachim. One of the tells is that they can't always properly mimic the behaviour of the creatures they pretend to be (didn't climb properly) and they appear without identifying features (like grizzly/black bear distinctions).

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
oh my el' we killed an angel

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

it was enkidel's dad

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Sorry!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Big rear end grizzlies can't generally climb trees and climbing trees is considered a legit smart thing to do when confronted. Also playing dead and just running away is considered okay, depending on the circumstances.

Source: Handbook of the Canadian Rockies.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Outrail posted:

Big rear end grizzlies can't generally climb trees and climbing trees is considered a legit smart thing to do when confronted. Also playing dead and just running away is considered okay, depending on the circumstances.

And the handbook says nothing about putting a bird on your head and cawing like maniac?

Pfft, Canada :jerkbag:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

FoxTerrier posted:

And the handbook says nothing about putting a bird on your head and cawing like maniac?

Pfft, Canada :jerkbag:

No but taking down a cougar with a Canadian goose is acceptable in a survival situation.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Outrail posted:

No but taking down a cougar with a Canadian goose is acceptable in a survival situation.

Citation please

(seriously I wanna read where it says that it sounds great)

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Climbing the tree was the only cool thing Judah did

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

busb posted:

Murdering a bear and then having a vision of it mauling someone to death as he grabbed a skull was pretty :black101: in my opinion. Better than tree climbing.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

busb posted:

How quickly goons forget our sewer dwelling rat eating exploits.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Outrail posted:

https://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/misunderstood_bear.pdf

As if we'd trust the Canadians with knowing how to deal with bears. (I am from the U.K. and know nothing about bears)

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Reminder to people, this thread did not take place in Real Life North America.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Waci posted:

Yeah, Ur probably has decent healthcare.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Waci posted:

Are you sure? They both seem quite xenophobic.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

SKY COQ posted:

Yeah, Ur probably has decent healthcare.

No it doesn't. You get some herbs and a prayer if you don't have the money to buy real potions from the local witch that actually do poo poo like regrow limbs or undo a sliced open neck.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Arkanomen posted:

No it doesn't. You get some herbs and a prayer if you don't have the money to buy real potions from the local witch that actually do poo poo like regrow limbs or undo a sliced open neck.

If you want a society that really takes care of their sick, you've got to head across the border to Athar. :canada:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cornuto posted:

If you want a society that really takes care of their sick, you've got to head across the border to Athar. :canada:

"To Serve Man"

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Grognan posted:

"To Serve Man"
"To Serve God"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You allow the bandit leader to stand, and say nothing.
He stops babbling and instead turns and begins to stumble away as fast as he can. You are able to stay motionless despite your rage at what's happened here.
Larry takes off just as it begins to seem he could actually escape. He circles leisurely before hitting the bandit like a bolt, driving him back down. He's gotten very good at this.

Regardless of your reputation before or in the years from now, beyond your deeds and words, for the rest of their lives every living human here will remember the screams as your eagle devoured the eyes of the leader of a band of thieves & raiders. Your stony face, righteous anger in this moment turned cold and cruel. The tall grass that was too short.

You turn and decide how to bring justice to the rest of them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Yorkshire Tea posted:

https://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/misunderstood_bear.pdf

As if we'd trust the Canadians with knowing how to deal with bears. (I am from the U.K. and know nothing about bears)

I'd trust a Canadian woodsman on this particular subject over an American any day.

My reading on the subject indicates that they can climb trees, but usually only short heights, and are pretty clumsy at it. So if they just want you to piss off they probably won;t come after you if you climb high enough. If they want to eat you and you don't have a gun ful of slugs and know how to use it and it's at least 20-30 feet away and you have your gun out and ready you're probably going to get eaten.

Of course this could be avoided if grizzlies act much in the same way as their Australian cousin the koala bear, in which case smearing Vegemite on your clothes/skin will deter them almost all of the time.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Outrail posted:

I'd trust a Canadian woodsman on this particular subject over an American any day.

My reading on the subject indicates that they can climb trees, but usually only short heights, and are pretty clumsy at it. So if they just want you to piss off they probably won;t come after you if you climb high enough. If they want to eat you and you don't have a gun ful of slugs and know how to use it and it's at least 20-30 feet away and you have your gun out and ready you're probably going to get eaten.

Of course this could be avoided if grizzlies act much in the same way as their Australian cousin the koala bear, in which case smearing Vegemite on your clothes/skin will deter them almost all of the time.

Too bad that attracts their drop-bear cousins, tho. Oh well, Australia is a horrific continent of death, no real surprise there

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I never thought the subject of what to do in the Canadian wilderness would come up here https://youtu.be/QgaRd4d8hOY

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There's a lot of work to be done on the wiki if anyone is bored of waiting update to update.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"You're telling me these... sensu... seeds? You're telling me these can cure wounds, any wounds that are not instantly fatal?"
"Yes, the seeds of the sensu plant are rare and miraculous."
"And you have three that you're willing to sell right now?"
"Yes."
"But you're unwilling to prove it by feeding one to an injured animal."
"They're far too precious to waste, my well travelled friend."
"And you want twenty shekels of silver, and five shekels of gold, in exchange for these three seeds?"
"Yes, or the same value of other similar goods. Gems would be acceptable."
"Sold."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
The answer here is to stab him in the guts and make him use one himself. If it works pay his original asking price for the remaining two. If they don't work no loss.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Outrail posted:

The answer here is to stab him in the guts and make him use one himself. If it works pay his original asking price for the remaining two. If they don't work no loss.

I felt like it was a pretty realistic portrayal of how this would go down if we were allowed to vote on it.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

TheCog posted:

I felt like it was a pretty realistic portrayal of how this would go down if we were allowed to vote on it.

All of this while saying "I've gut a bad feeling about this"?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Just needed approx. 200 more questions that didn't pertain to the seeds.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

dyzzy posted:

Just needed approx. 200 more questions that didn't pertain to the seeds.

Do you think they would fix our pooping problem?

Are the seeds my father? Am I really a tree?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Finally, after weeks of research, after all the legwork you and your fangs have dedicated to this project, you finally have the required information to translate the tablets so dearly won from the southwestern barbarians.

By lamp light, by the midday sun, you all work, carefully translate, transliterate, and a narrative forms. However, the true meaning of this corpus lies in the final line, without this last line the rest is too ambiguous to give true understanding. Finally, Ruben has a breakthrough:

"This last word, repeated twice, is unvoiced, like the entire third passage. It reads as follows:"

The mystery tablets, final line posted:

cuck, cuck, cuck. im gay. I'm gay. Hth, hth.

You strike out in frustration, punching a neat hole in the wall. "Ciphers within ciphers! El drat them what does it MEAN!?"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I don't know if you meant for the word filter to catch that but it's the funniest thing I've read in a while.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What would you do if you had to translate the Rosetta stone without truly knowing any of the languages on it? What if a word in an abjad text really has no vowels? It's fuckin tough out there in the linguists' world

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

In Madgod the final legacy Denziroh received from the previous iteration of the Madgod was a dickbutt so I'm just going to assume that this is canon now.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

"You're telling me these... sensu... seeds? You're telling me these can cure wounds, any wounds that are not instantly fatal?"
"Yes, the seeds of the sensu plant are rare and miraculous."
"And you have three that you're willing to sell right now?"
"Yes."
"But you're unwilling to prove it by feeding one to an injured animal."
"They're far too precious to waste, my well travelled friend."
"And you want twenty shekels of silver, and five shekels of gold, in exchange for these three seeds?"
"Yes, or the same value of other similar goods. Gems would be acceptable."
"Sold."

Why doesn't this image work? hrmph... right click, open image in new tab.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
You linked to a url of a page with the image on it, not the image url (http://i.imgur.com/zOoXrpx.png)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
For a slight moment you have an inexplicable, and somewhat striking urge to hold your breath. After a split second of reflection you shrug and continue towards the mountain.

"Man, that was weird," you say to Larry and your other companions.
"Huh?"
"What's that?"
*contented bird wistling*
"I had this super strong feeling I should hold my breath until I pass out, so strange."
"Haha, I guess everyone has complete retard ideas from time to time."
"I know, right?"

You continue making excellent progress, having successfully continued to breath normally. You resolve to continue the metabolic processes that allow living things to continue the process of life, at least for the foreseeable future.

E; woah the other thread updated

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

You continue making excellent progress, having successfully continued to breath normally. You resolve to continue the metabolic processes that allow living things to continue the process of life, at least for the foreseeable future.

Coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You decide to bring up your concerns over the midday meal, eating in private. After some minor small talk, you get to the point.

"So you're telling me these 'worm holes' we've seen in deep caves actually connect to a horrifying doom world seething under the surface of Ur, where unholy things complete their unknowable tasks away from the prying eyes of men?"
"To paraphrase: yeah."
"And every once in a while some monstrous terror being climbs out for 'reasons.' And you knew this before we ever met?"
"Yeah. Hey pass me some of them herbs man, you guys ain't exactly like king's cooks you know? It's called salt? It's like the southwest with you guys anymore. What's next, some dumbass route with poorly spaced guard towers?"
"What the gently caress man why didn't you say anything!? Quit being shifty as gently caress!"
"I dunno, you never asked! You know I change the subject when I get nervous. That stings man, you're always getting like this, wi--"
"I went down like five times since we met! You could have been like 'Hey Judah, guys, fyi, that poo poo is hosed down there. Maybe be substantially more prepared and careful.'"
"Dude I'm not a some fuckin ancient sage melachim guy! I figured you knew what you were getting into! You hardly even went close except for that last time! I'm a just drat merchant!"

You find yourself pinching the bridge of your nose and biting your tongue for the fourth time today. A new personal best. You sigh and pass the salt.

"Fine, I accept your apology. While Irad's council has, in retrospect, proven ill-informed in some aspects, I still feel he was correct in recommending a stronger business relationship with your enterprise here. In the future, if you find yourself in possession of information that may be useful for planning purposes, or any other reason, please let me know ahead of time."
"Thank you. I truly have abased myself by allowing you and your men to enter danger without the fullest support I could have given, yet my heart is full to overflowing with gratitude that El has delivered you to safety, alive, if not unharmed."
"You're an alright guy. Just -- this stuff is serious sometimes, you know? Taking even a little effort away from rebuilding is a little bit of a controversial decision on my part..." You trail off, weighing your old statuette of Ophal in your hand. "Then there's the whole 'eternal vigilance' set, but--" You wave away these conversational derails and move to the next point. "So you get any update on when you guys can get those medicinal herbs we talked about?"
"About two weeks."
"You! loving! DICK!"
"Sorry! My supplier flaked! I'm sorry!"

"And you spilled the salt."

• Locked thread