Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Did a search, didn't see anything about car rentals anywhere, thought I'd ask. I'm traveling to California for a few weeks in April--flying into LA and out of San Francisco. I've got a discount with all the usual suspect car companies (Alamo, Hertz, Avis., Budget, etc.) but I'm noticing on sites like Hipmunk and Kayak that Sixt car rentals are WAY cheaper than the other options. Does anyone have any experience with them? Like a midsize SUV would be about $114 a day at Alamo and is instead $48.75 a day at Sixt. That seems too good to be true but I'm willing to jump on it if people have had good experiences with them in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Sixt is a major European rental company, so it's not some weird startup trying to steal your money. Go with them if they're cheaper, they're not really any different from Dollar or Budget or whatever except where its international headquarters is.

I've rented with SIxt several times. Nothing remarkable except that I got a massive car class upgrade from them once, on my second time renting with them.

VV: Yeah, I'd reserved like a tiny Citroen and they gave me a decked out Mercedes C class for $0 extra for an 8 day rental. That turned into a much better road trip than I expected. I'm not sure it happens often enough that I'd choose my rental agency on the hopes of it happening again, though.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 19, 2016

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Rented from them in Barcelona in November. Like Saladman, got an upgrade from their cheapest auto class to a beautiful Audi for like 10 euros extra. No problems with them and the check-in process was quicker than a lot of other companies I've rented from. I didn't know they had come over to NA as well so I might start looking into them more often around here.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I've rented with Sixt every time I've gone to Europe, they're completely legit.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Great, thanks guys. Weird that they're so much cheaper but I'm going to pull the trigger.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Third-party sites are cheaper because they have different terms and conditions like cancellation policy (ie everything upfront and you get nothing back) but could also affect insurance so check that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeff smisek
May 18, 2009

I'm about to use Sixt in Stockholm, and I was wondering the same thing. Very cheap. Reassuring to read this thread!

• Locked thread