Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas I gotta get myself away from this place. I said yep, what a concept, I could use some fuel myself and we could all use a little change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

From the suburban mom thread...

SEX BURRITO posted:

I know someone who fell in love with a Tunisian guy and was taken in by promises of marriage. She sent him money, and he'd send love notes and Skype with her kids, telling them he was going to be their new stepdad. One day she Googled him and there was a whole forum of women who'd been ripped off by Tunisian dudes, with a whole thread dedicated to her future husband.

I think my friend got targeted by this :/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm p sure dudes were pulling crap like that on both sides (probably with hookers, too.)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What's the deal with gold buying agents?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

Everyone interested in this should watch the 1972 documentary Marjoe. It is a fascinating movie about a former child evangelist who drops out of the faith/scam. He then goes back with a camera crew to expose the grift. Has some insanely great gospel music along with superb under cover cinematography. It is also a great time capsule of 1972.

Watch this clip on youtube. At 1:40 he starts explaining the speaking of tongues. At 3:00 they start literally counting hundreds and hundreds of dollars in small bills. At 4:25 he explains how his family groomed him for the grift and the amazing amounts of money he made before it all came crashing down.

https://youtu.be/1-C3trU9ljw

Less than 6 minutes, pro click y'all.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:f5: <---me ordering a year supply of energy discs

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Olds keep falling for the same phone scams here.

:heysexy: Hey, it's me. This is my boss's phone.
:j: Oh, [name]? What's wrong?
:heysexy: I hosed up at work and now I'm out $20k. If the customer finds out, not only will I get fired, but the whole company will be in trouble.
:j: Oh my goodness how terrible.
:heysexy: Can you wire money/deliver a paper bag of cash to my boss asap?
:j: Yes of course right away.

It still works, and for some pretty crazy sums of money :/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ConspiraSea :holymoley:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What if the government sinks that ship?!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I've heard of taxi or restaurant scams where the customer leaves their wallet or phone as collateral while they "go to an atm." The staff realize it's an empty wallet or plastic display phone when the customer never comes back.

There have also been COD package deliveries full of rocks :japan:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

PT6A posted:

What really burns my rear end about this is it fucks over every person who legitimately made a mistake and doesn't have cash. On the other hand, it should only be an issue in cabs/restaurants where they can't run a card, which has to be less than 2% at this point -- even the last holdouts I knew have gone over to debit/credit now.

Lol welcome to Japan

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Just light it on fire, and boom! You're done.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I heard that Disneyland employee protocol was to put Pixie Dust on a Protein Spill.

On topic: Disneyland and/or all children's entertainment is the biggest scam ever amirite?!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

All of these quicky weight loss scams have the same thing in common.

If you read the fine print at the bottom of the screen (if you can. It comes up and then disappears pretty fast), it says "Results not typical." "Normal results are a loss of 1-2 pounds per week when used in conjunction with a program of diet and exercise." Which is typical of the weight loss you could expect when doing a program of diet and exercise. In other words, they're straight up telling you that it's worthless.

Part of a balanced breakfast. *

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some lady better stop using an incomplete email address (mine) if she's serious about Earning Money Doing What She Loves!!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Naive 20-year-olds walking around a supermarket parking lot selling car wax while-u-shop. Probably on commission. The main victim is the employees getting pepped up to be told gtfo in the sun all day.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bing is a parasite.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oh boy not only has my old college roommate has gotten deep into a health prodcuts MLM called ARIIX, but they were #soexcited to see Tony Robbins - Unleash the Power Within in a huge stadium.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol it's not a pyramid, it's a funnel! You're on the brim and need to recruit new team members to make the funnel deeper!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dank new phishing tech

Only registered members can see post attachments!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Whatever happened, I'm sure we can work it out, please contact me at (phone number) or visit me at (home address). If anything was damaged and needs to be replaced, just use my credit card (number) or maybe I can meet you at 7-11 and pay using itunes cards.

EDIT: If u don't believe me u can do a police check with my ssn (number) and u will see I am an honest guy!!!

peanut fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 22, 2017

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Public Court of Santa Clara County ★★★★

Excellent staff, I always defend all my lawsuits here.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^^
:(

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

wow so convenience

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

DrunkMidget posted:

I found a fun way to fight this. I answer these calls now, hit whatever number it is to speak to the scumbag on the other end, wait until they're on the line and then play Mary Had a Little Lamb on the keypad until they curse me out and hang up. The best part is they know I can't hear their screaming because all I hear is beep, bop, boop, bop, beep, beep, beep. If they're still on after the first go around you can go up a register and play it with an even more annoying tone.

"Hey! You can lower your credit card payment instantly! Press "1" to speak with a representative and start saving!"
:lolplant: : "Hello, this is Steve from.."
:toot: : 3,2,1,2,3,3,3,2,2,2,3,3,3,3,2,1,2,3,3,3,3,2,2,3,2,1
:byodood: : "Hello? Hey!"
:toot: : 6,5,4,5,6,6,6,5,5,5,6,6,6,6,5,4,5,6,6,6,6,5,5,6,5,4
:argh: "You mother fucker! I will gently caress your..."
:toot: : 9,8,7,8,9,9,9,8,8,8,9,9,9,9,8,7,8,9,9,9,9,8,8,9,8,7
*CLICK!*
:smuggo:

They quit calling about 2 weeks ago, it's been nice.

Edit: This might have had something to do with it too.

hell yeah thx for excellent idea, goon friend

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My inlaws got new phones. Fat smart phones with hard-push screens for olds.
They got a tiny discount if they installed a free trial of a phone concierge app for two months. After two months the service would go back to the normal $15/month but they could cancel without penalty after the two month trial.
There's still a useless concierge sheep walking around on my father-in-law's screen.

At least they asked me before they said yes to a $20 monthly support package for 24 hour internet help...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

one of many good reasons to keep a post-it with Martin Shkreli's personal info nearby

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Is he going to come out with powerful new friends like Martha Stewart did?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

grad school lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some environmental organization did that on my college campus. Just $5/month to save the environment??? Of course​! It's my parents money...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

More like someone who actually cares about the cause and doesn't know the money is used ineffectively :(

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japan's NHK does door-to-door collections too. Satellite/cable tv has the NHK fee bundled in and managed apartments should have a group contract. The NHK guys are notoriously stubborn and have been said to demand things like, "sign this contract before we determine if you need to pay or not."

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Now that I think about it, television switched to all-digital in Japan a few years ago, including interactive buttons for 24 hour weather maps, show info and quizzes so it should be very easy to see who is connecting or not.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol it's a good name

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

U.S. Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20535-0001

INTERPOL is the world’s largest international police organization, with 190
Member countries.
Our role is to enable police around the world to work together to make the
world a safer place. Our high-tech infrastructure of technical and operational
support helps meet the growing challenges of fighting crime in the 21st
century.
Email: https://www.interpolpolice56

Urgent Attention

We have this morning discovered that you have been making foreign legal
transactions with Western Unions, Money Grams, Diplomatic Agents and Banks with
West African Countries (Benin, Nigeria, Ghana etc.). We went further with the
investigations we found out that you don't have Money Laundering Clearance
Certificate, which is a major Federal Offence. You have violated the World
Federal Law, which constituted against smuggling of large amount of money and
trafficking of drug e.t.c., without having Money Laundering Clearance
Certificate before you commenced the transaction. You want to receive such huge
amount of money from UPS DHL FEDEX WESTERN UNION AND MONEY GRAM HEAD Quarter's
Benin Republic which is a foreign Delivery. Meanwhile we have stopped the
Delivery, not only the ATM CARD was stopped but the total Transaction of the sum
of ($2.7 million dollars)

Furthermore, be advised that according to the World Wide Law Enforcement Agency
together with the FBI rules and regulations, you are to obtain the document
from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Benin Republic which
is the origin of the fund in question. Also Note that you are to take care of
the documentation to be issued to you right away, because due to the content of
the document and how importance and secured the document is, you are to take
care of the document by sending them the sum of $85.00 US Dollars only to the
Economic and Financial Crimes Commission Benin Republic for issuing of the
document right away and your Payment will be release to you. That is the only
way the Economic and Financial Crime Commission Benin Republic will issue you
the document, because they are going to issue you the Authentic and Original
copy of the documents.

Note that your rights are limited; anything you SAY or DO will be used as
evidence against you in the court of Law. You have the full rights to remain
silent and obey the Law. Don't think we don’t know you or your address. We will
get you arrested if you fail to provide the document or pay for it to be
obtained from Benin Republic. The Arrest Warrant can only be withdrawn once the
document is obtained. There are three charges against you, which are:

1. Smuggling of a huge amount of money into your country without Money
Laundering Clearance Certificate is a violation to Federal Law. 2. Smuggling of
a huge amount of money into your country without a proper documentation is a
violation 2003 Federal Constitution, otherwise, called illegal transaction. 3.
it’s a Conspiracy, a Criminal Attempt and Disobedience to the Federal Law,
which will eventually lead you to 5-year imprisonment.

You Should Send The Money Direct To The Country Of Origin Of The Fund In Question
through western union or money gram money transfer system:

State/City: Cotonou
Text Q.: info
Answer: Yes
Amount;;;;;;$85
Receiver Name:EBELE OHIDE
Sender name: and MTCN is needed;

Once, you make the payment, attach and send to us the copy of the payment slip
for verification before sending it to the Economic Financial Crime Commission
(EFCC) Benin Republic.

WARNING: Failure to pay for this documentation is a confirmation that you
wanted to smuggle the funds into the country which is a federal offense and a
gross violation of the Patriot Act and legal action will be taken immediately
by arresting and detaining you and if found guilty, you will be jailed As
terrorism, drug trafficking and money laundering is a serious problem in our
community today. The UNITED STATE INTERPOL world’s largest international police
organization will not stop at any length in tracing you down and prosecuting
any criminal who indulge in this criminal act.

Sign: General Shawn A. Bray, head of the Central Investigation Bureau
UNITED STATE INTERPOL world’s largest international police organization

FBI WEB SITE http://www.fbi.gov/Interpol site http://www.justice.gov/Supreme
Court of United State
International Trade Court

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

And the footer of spam from loanequitymagazine.com

The only course is to try by all means, direct that. dogs by marrying their mistresses; the fine old-blooded idiocy of young Take the key, I say. absorbed Phileas Fogg until a quarter before four, whilst the Standard, I took a breathing space, set my teeth, and again The slave was back for another, the day after to-morrow, as brazen as alabaster. You were had been carefully oiled and cleaned. in phials, and quarrels with everybody, that end in your dying were as exciting a topic as the Reform Bill or the imminent horrors of Sikes and the Jew were talking, but they paused to listen. water-drinking kind. carriage, had had a chill in it. All the rest is to show what sort of intense disgust about his mouth. length combined, and came upon me, armed with sticks, stones, and heavy I never see such an out-and-out young wagabond, your worship,' Bulstrode He tottered across the lawn; circles of Middlemarchers who made no part of her life. hours together; but nothing was to be descried from it but a confused IN WHICH A SLIGHT GLIMPSE IS HAD OF SAN FRANCISCO melodrama which he had already seen several times; attracted, not by speaking nor spoken to, by any one who passed. She seized Mr. Again papa was silent. He left the letter at the office, ordering the messenger to tempest of snow, as if to pierce the mist which narrowed the horizon shut. Casaubon's uneasiness. disagreeable imputations--perhaps even in her mind, which others might "Ah! Come now, my friend--you will help? The calm of evening was upon the world as I emerged from the great to the Grange to-day as if nothing new had happened. father, or what was his mother's settlement, name, or condition. accountable beings. assure you it was rather comic: Fielding would have made something of associated with the work. Countrymen, butchers, drovers, hawkers, boys, thieves, idlers, and a bedroom-door, 'let us hear what you think of him. You refer to the possible hindrances from want of health? naked--no shoes, no stockings, no jacket, no trousers, nothing on but a Casaubon had been a dragon who had carried her off to his the entire width of the United States. would bless them in basket and store! one knew whence came his riches, and was mysterious and imperable in Why not to China? Hawley. anything the matter? Bowyer, I suppose--just as moaning wind. appearances of the trampling of men in hurried flight. We never undertook to do any thing, of any importance, things," he added, looking at Lydgate, "would be to me such relaxation apply to the regulation mode of cutting the hair: which he held to be volume.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Send ;;;;;$85 to my account and I will proofread in 24 hours!!!!!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lmao he should look into ancient astronaut consultant positions with the history channel...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My usual youtube-to-mp3 conversion site went down so I asked a friend for a recommendation, and the one she sent me too was full of ads and immediately filled my screen with pop-ups and even a voice recording about
HACKER WARNING! your information might be getting sent to hackers!!! call this number immediately and Microsoft staff will guide you through the un-hacking process!!

Friend said oh sorry I forgot to mention that, I always just close that window hahaha

I think... she is bad at the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I ended up using http://2conv.com/nl/ there is also a .de and .ru and they also have a downloadable app to rip videos to relieve their cloud servers.