Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

Pay attention. The scammer asks you to give him 2 tens for a twenty. Not a twenty for 2 tens. He asks for 2 tens for a twenty – with some reason that is marginally plausible when you are busy and not thinking much. When you give him the 2 tens, he then says you made a mistake and gave him a ten and a one.

Yup. I encountered the guy pictured in the story at U Street a couple of years ago and that was exactly it. It works because you are expecting a fake bill and get distracted examining it while he swaps out one of the tens you gave him for a one. In my case, I knew exactly what I'd given him plus he presented a hosed up crumpled $1 when he pointed out my "mistake" and I knew I didn't have a bill that messed up at all, so I told him to gently caress off and he started yelling at me while I was walking away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doubtful Guest posted:

I saw this on another message board. Is it a scam of some kind? Something to trick you into revealing your phone, or (as others suggested) to set up some kind of criminal meet-up? If so why not use a burner phone?

Any ideas?

You have to pay for a burner and in many places you have to show ID to get a SIM card, so it can be difficult to make a truly misattributable phone call. The few remaining payphones may have camera coverage.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Whats the end game? You email back and you're like "What the hell?: and then they email you back and say "Hey whats your personal info?"

That or you email back, they mark your address as valid on their checklist, and secondary spamming, scamming, and phishing occurs. All of which may be automated and may have been triggered if any embedded graphics, including a transparent 1x1 pixel, were loaded.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fandom scams are loving weird. Some lady wrote a book, When a Fan Hits the poo poo, about how she and a bunch of other people got taken for a ride by a couple of Lord of the Rings scammers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I think this is her http://kumquatwriter.tumblr.com

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

How do I post a negative review of Yelp?

Find their corporate office on Google Maps.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

There's a definite increase in the number of robocalls, I wonder if Trump's not enforcing the Do Not Call list anymore :smith:

I thought you had to renew your enrollment on the do not call list. Maybe you timed out?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MANime in the sheets posted:

Hell, I'd reply to that email just to see what the next step is, and string them along as long as possible.

Like this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

:smith: What the hell is wrong with humanity.

Life is cheap, it turns out after all.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

504 posted:

I always just handed the phone to one of my two year old daughters, they were in the never shuts up loves the phone stage.

Everyone wins in this situation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I answer numbers I don't recognize because I like to answer political polling, so local politicians think my far-left opinions are representative of their constituents.

I used to do that until the polls all became 50 questions long. Now I don't even bother.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Pretty much everything is a scam or a ripoff.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Did you hear there's a forum that wants $10 to register an account! :monocle: :jerkbag:

That one wasn't so bad until they pulled the bait and switch with the moderator of the firearms subforum.

Edit:that's a joke, you're a good dude and not why I kind of quit reading there.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 1, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

If you're white, cops are also locksmiths. My mom locked her keys in her car and waved down a passing cop. He pulled out his slim jim and wedges and opened her car for her.

Depends on local policies. My hometown did that until the mid 90s when some old lady sued over damages to her Mercedes when they opened her car at their request so not anymore.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Old Binsby posted:

Cancel in writing, have them sign for receipt? Turn in all your poo poo, play by their rules

This, you're basically giving them every reason to continue to bill you if you keep their equipment and use their service.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Is your concern that they stop providing signal to your house, or merely that you not be billed for it? You are attempting to prove the former, while making the latter more difficult for yourself.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Comcast cable box update.

I returned the remaining equipment I had but, stunningly, they had no record of me even attempting to cancel my TV and phone services and gave me a direct number to call to do it AGAIN, so the month delay for the last box I kept had nothing to do with anything. My bill WAS lower, because of the poo poo I had returned right away, but, as I suspected, they basically just left the service on because they could and I had no way to prove I had called so they billed me for it.

The dude at Xfinity store straight up told me that the delay in the equipment return had no bearing on anything and gave me the REAL number to call for cancellation so gently caress all you people that tried to hang this horseshit on me.

Glad to help!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

That's not a lifehack as it makes sense and makes your life better. A lifehack would be to call and cancel, then reroute the cable to your neighbour and give him the equipment so now he gets free cable (and then you get billed every month for the service that is now his)

I'd like to see the flowchart of thoughts that led to you believing this was worth posting.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I gotta wonder what the scams are gonna be like when Millennials are retirement age.

Probably stuff like "Boomer prosperity was in fact buried in the form of Gold boullion in land plots in XYZ location! Buy a plot and recover what your parents unjustly stole from you all these years!"

Probably be the same poo poo. Geriatrics never change. Ideally we'll all be dead in the next 5-10 years so it's hopefully not an issue.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

There are some good ones, like the Hackerbox.

:wrong:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

Reminder that this closes next friday, don't be an idiot like me and forget about it and be scramble to find out if there's a way to be eligible for this after moving out of country.

You're not going to see that money.

quote:

The Court has authorized this update to inform consumers who have filed claims that, to date, over two million claims have been filed seeking to recover from a Settlement Fund expected to total $12.5 million.

Due to the large number of claims, the individual recovery per consumer will be a pro rata share of the Settlement Fund. The exact per consumer recovery is still unknown, but it is expected to amount to several dollars per Class Member.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

From another thread:

minato posted:

I don't know if this counts as a security fuckup, but I was talking to an Uber engineer today who told me a couple of interesting scams they encountered the past couple of years.

Apparently Uber got heavily scammed in China by people exploiting the subsidies used to incentivize drivers to cruise around waiting for fares.

The first scam involved phone emulators and fake GPS units to organize fake trips. When scammers tried to parallelize the system with multiple fake driver accounts, Uber caught on when they saw "snakes" of cars moving around the map.

The second scam involved the drivers deliberately putting up scary profile pictures, making the driver look like a vampire or a ghost. The hope was that the customer would be so put off that they'd cancel the ride before pickup, which would give the driver a few yuan as compensation for the cancelled ride. Uber had to implement a facial recognition system that ensured profile pictures closely matched their owner.

edit:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Is this somehow more profitable than actually driving people around? I assume the first one was a "no work" scam, but the second...

Second is also no work, it banks on people being so freaked out by the driver photo that they cancel the ride and the driver rakes in a few yuan from Uber for the cancellation.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

peanut posted:

This was from a regular gmail address. I'm not sure if it's spam, or just an idiot.

Subject: essay

Why Before What

The term WHY before WHAT is important for everyday leadership.  What does it mean? Explaining to an employee WHY we need them to do something, before telling them what we WANT them to do will create a smoother transition and a better working relationship with fellow employees. When in a leadership role there are a lot of things that will need to be done throughout the day. It is not always easy to get everything done in the time frame you have, but do your best. Some of these jobs are passed onto your employees. Therefore it is important as  team member,  but also as a leader that  if a last minute call comes in, and a job needs to be changed on the floor, using the WHY before the WHAT method can ensure that everyone is on the same page.

Say your boss just told you that machine 405 needs to go from a regular HD part to a SIPHD. This is not a 10 minute job and they are difficult parts to run. So before you run to your set up and say you need to change this back over to this part.  Come up with a plan and a way of explaining the WHY before the WHAT. Robb I know that you have been working hard on keeping everything running today and you’re doing great but I just got word that we have to make some changes. We got a call this morning that we are very low on the SIPHDS. We have a new costumer and they need many different lengths of this part. We did not plan on this happening so soon but we are very excited to have another happy customer to work with. We have been trying to find a way to hold off on the changeover but it is not possible at this time.         We need the machine to be changed over as soon as we possibly can. Before bringing this up to you I have made some phone calls for some more answers and help. We do have another set up coming into help us with this to help make it go as smoothly as possible. I understand that this is going to take some time and it is not easy for us to do this. We have also asked the customer for all the lengths and amounts they will need for up to 6 months so next time we have a better plan and are ready for it. Before we get or make any set decisions is there anything that you think would help with process? Asking the employee if they have anything they would like to add or ask for anything is always a good way to end things. They may have better things to remember than you and also they are part of the team and need to always feel like they are.

In conclusion, it will create a better working atmosphere if we implement the

WHY before WHAT method of communication with team members. An employee that feels like part of a team, and not just a mule will give more of him or herself, and do a better job. 

Is there a link or 1x1 pixel in the message somewhere? This seems to be bait somehow.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Assuming, of course, that it isn't itself harvesting valid email addresses and doing something else with that information.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Assuming you're already getting spam at that email address (and they aren't asking for anything else), I don't see a downside even if they are selling off the address.

They could sell it off to an entirely different bunch of marketers, since you're self selected into the "discriminating phishing aware consumer" bucket.

I like the idea, just don't trust the people running it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, it seems like everyday there are more concert videos that I want to grab the audio from, but I am not terribly computer savvy and I'm a little gun shy about installing random stuff on my computer.

I've had pretty good luck with a Firefox plugin called "Video DownloadHelper" to get the video and then extract audio with Audacity.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tell me about common cars/vans

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

It blows my loving mind that Steam, Blizzard, and tons of bullshit F2P MMOs offer two factor authentication to make sure your level 80 wizard with the epic Eye of Poopsocking doesn't get stolen by the Russian Mafia, yet SSNs and credit checks are just a thing.

I literally have better protections available for my PBUG inventory than my loving credit score.

Well sure, you can quit a video game if you're unhappy. Can't quit Experia though, so why should they try?

Tyler Durden did nothing wrong.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cradle to the Grape posted:

I got a Google Hangouts (which I don't really use) message supposedly from a doctor, claiming he's upset I left him a bad review online. He said perhaps I went to his office while he was out of town and a different doctor was covering for him. He'd like to discuss this privately with me, as the bad review could hurt his business.

Naturally I've never heard of this guy, or ever reviewed a doctor online. I'm just curious what the angle is here - just see who’s stupid enough to reply at all? What kind of hook is “Huh? I have no idea who you are or what you're talking about.”

Or someone with the same name as you did. Many people run with the first name that shows up in search results.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you need a voice recording of someone saying a single word, just call them up and do nothing but say the word you want them to say. Works surprisingly often.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A similar test strategy was used with stolen credit cards, so it makes sense that it would be adapted to a new environment.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Previously you'd test that it was a valid number and then go nuts because the victim wouldn't know until the card was declined when it was over limit or the statement came at the end of the month. There may be enough people who only check when the bill is due to make it work even today.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Yep. I got a call a week ago about fraudulent activity on my CC asking me if I'd made any purchases in Orlando. I've only been between Jacksonville and St. Augustine for the last 3 or 4 months so, no. Oddly, the only registered charges were a couple of $1 service charges but not the purchases themselves.

Maybe someone was "testing" the card number but it both charges were at gas stations so not sure how that would work.

If you have the name, number, and expiration date it's staraightforward to generate the rest and write it to a blank card. Magstripe writers are available, and at a gas pump nobody is looking at the card to question a blank white card, hotel key, or reused to card with the wrong name and number being used.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Depressio111117 posted:

Christmas music is just fuckin' god-awful.

Yup.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's quite funny that the generation of kids growing up will probably use vinyl, tapes, but barely any CDs.

Arguably once it's digital the corpse of information doesn't matter. You could theoretically build a music player that read the digitally encoded signal off of chiseled stone tablets, which actually sounds like something I need to patent and market to audiophiles for extreme audio longevity.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Sorry bro you're too late.

https://www.zmescience.com/research/technology/quartz-disk-5d-storage-52543/amp/

If digitally nanoencoded quartz is too high tech there's also sapphire microfiche readable by analog microscopes

https://www.zmescience.com/research/technology/quartz-disk-5d-storage-52543/amp/

Another million dollar idea down the drain. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

There was just a secret service alert about this today, someone's intercepting brand new cards in the mail to the user, then stealing the chip and switching it for a fake one. Real chip goes into generic fake card, real card with now fake chip goes to you, and they siphon all your cash as soon as you activate the card.

Sounded like they think it's an inside job at the post office

Whoa. Delaminating a card to remove the ic intact is kind of hard. This is either pretty sophisticated or there's something else going on.

Edit This article has pictures. They're not delaminating the card and the alterations are detectable.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 6, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I've sold tickets before when i had extras and I just have the guy scan them first before accepting any money. Why would anyone buy a ticket without doing that?

You may be surprised to learn that option isn't always available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

why is it when i tell a street scammer to buzz off, their preferred comeback is to call me a "human being". why yes, it is 1995 and i care about a dumbass on the street attacking my hetero manliness durrr

Street scammers aren't generally known for their sensitivity and good manners.