Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

hyperhazard posted:

When anyone quit Younique, the rest of them would immediately block them and start talking poo poo about them. So if you left, you lost your entire support network.
Sounds like being a salesman married to a salesman, tbqh.
Like even ostensibly "legit" sales jobs with a proper storefront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

MLM bullshit should be 100% illegal.
Same but with all economic parasitism such as planned obsolesence, rentseeking and landlordism.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

You can just say Capitalism.
A fair cop.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Inceltown posted:

'fair cop' is an oxymoron.
Aware, but it's also the original usage of the phrase, as in when someone was arrested for actually committing a (usually property) crime.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Wow, every part of that book's publication ought to be prosecuted as child abuse. :stare:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
America is a scam.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Long Francesco posted:

Is the smoked turkey a metaphor or is that really the authors idea of a good parting gift?
Yes and yes.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

This is what you see when you die.
For how long???

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

FrozenVent posted:

It's 2019, why are you till answering the phone?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

doctorfrog posted:

read that title enough times, and it becomes, "Just Wait 'til We're Doomed."
They kinda already are if you're buying a "children's" book promoting MLM scams.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

bird with big dick posted:

She seems dumb you should have tried to scam her
:classiclol:+:hmmyes:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The "flu" "vaccine" is a scam. Vaccinations are not a scam, they are the foundation of reaching adulthood alive and uncrippled. But the flu "vaccine" is bullshit. It's never the correct one.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Foreverwar is a scam.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

luxury handset posted:

i like to get telemarketers on the line and then play mary had a little lamb with the key tones, to make their day a little brighter
If you want to make them cry with nostalgia, play the old Nickelodeon jingle. I don't know the whole thing but the last five digits are 7485#.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
https://chess2020.com/

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mister Kingdom posted:

If I didn't know any better, I would think that was a 12:55am SNL sketch.

Right time, but it was on the goddamn Weather Channel! x'D

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
:hmmyes: + :v:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

therobit posted:

The normal payment structure for contractors working on you home where I am is 1/3 upfront, 1/3 at half completion, and 1/3 after you have done the walkthrough, given them the list of all the shot they need to fix, and they have fixed said poo poo.

That would have been extremely helpful for my father when he hired licensed contractors for work on the house and they ended up ignoring the specifics he gave them and had to undo and redo a bunch of the more time-consuming work himself.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

hyperhazard posted:

I felt stupid as hell and told my husband, and it turns out he'd gotten it and clicked on it too. We shared a moment of shame.
Unexpectedly :3: post.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lordy, how much beer do you have to drink to die from it??

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

30+ beers every night.
Okay then! :stare:

I sure hope the booze library has the white cases in tomorrow. :yum:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
What the gently caress are people smoking when you hear police blotter about folks high on "bath salts"? All I know is it's not actual epsom salts. Is it meth? Say meth! I can't figure out what it is.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
When they first touched down in media, there seemed to be a consistent narrative of paranoid oppression experienced by the user of bathsalts, across many cases. Of course, it might've just been the only ones they wrote about.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

FMguru posted:

I think that's just life in 21st century America. :shrug:
That absolutely did occur to me as I was writing that post, but I'm not about to remove my parents' faces withtout a whole lot of chemical encouragement (tempt me as they might some days).

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Businesses that train the homeless in job skills and productivity; are those a scam? Do they usually pay a wage worth a drat to those they're "training?" Knowing what I do about Amerikkka, these human interest stories leave a bad loving taste in my mouth lately. Just this morning there's one about a coffee shop that trains homeless teens in vital job skills and the business owner could be fully legit in her desire to help people, but it's really making me :thunk:.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Is it like that one where some "Christian" "recovery" program had basically enslaved recovering addicts who were imprisoned in order to do meat processing and force them to do bible study and a bunch of other absolute horseshit, under threat of reincarceration should they not find the exploitation to their liking?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh wow, so it cribs some of the syllabus from those camps where rich parents send their teenagers to be kidnapped and tortured. Wunderbar!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
If you watch/listen to all their bullshit and jump through all their hoops you might be selected to take a survey or series of surveys that pay money except oops you don't qualify to participate for whatever demographic reason, but if you give us even more information, we'll string you along as we saturate every single email field from here to Siberia with your personally-identifiable information.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

They can! Not only have I received annoyed calls and texts from people who got my number spoofed at them, I’ve also received spam calls from my own number.
:911: So much freedom.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Volmarias posted:

I don't live near the area code where I got first cellphone over a decade ago, so any number that starts with the same first six digits as mine is easy to automatically mark as spam.

Cannot wait for authentication to finally happen.

You know it'll be used exclusively to gently caress with the have-nots and never ever to gently caress with wrongdoers, right?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Volmarias posted:

Like DKIM, SPF, and DMARC?

I'm very cynical in general but not that cynical.

I used to not be that cynical until literally every "improvement" under Capitalism seemed to never alleviate the problem it claimed to target and in fact only made everything worse, forever, always, inexorably.

Problem: People can't afford health insurance.
Solution: Everyone has to buy health insurance or they have to pay even more money while still not having health insurance.

Problem: Bots are being used to play Diablo II and they're set up to avoid all the anti-bot measures put in place.
Solution: If you quit to character select too quickly you get locked out of your account and lose the items you were muling, bots still rule the game.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 8, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
'Microsoft Tech Support' stopped calling me before someone suggested I call them Pakistanis and I'm kind of sad.
Now the only calls I get are from idiots who leave a message of dead static,

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

I called out some guy who contacted me on linkedin to try to sell me crypto as running a scam and he ranted at me for 45m then reported me to linkedin.
:holy:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The fake handwriting is a new thing the real estate predators are doing, my best guess is because the conman thinks it looks more authentic and amateur, but if it's a consistent type font, you're not fooling anyone. It seems to be pretty consistent around my area, across multiple companies and agents.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

The thing that got me was 20k a month. If they'd kept in a more believable range, they'd probably get more nibbles. If I decide to go ahead and gently caress with them a little, I'll post the results here but I'd bet both my testicles it's some Amway poo poo.
Extoll the virtues of options trading (the infinite losses one) to your would-be conman.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Huh, their lowercase 'Y' game is... ambiguous?

Oh, do they make fonts that come with multiple variations on letters than can be assigned randomly (as to which version is used)? Aside from those 4 different (that I saw) Ys, the rest looks as consistent as Bradley Hand ITC.

Actually, it looks like they plagarised Bradley Hand ITC and changed just enough to make it legally distinct? Though I thought the font was public domain, it comes standard on like every computer I've used.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 31, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tunicate posted:

typefaces aren't legally copyrightable in the us so it's easy and legal to create a new font based on a printout

Interesting. How can sites get away with charging like $30 to download a crazy-boring font then?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ravenkult posted:

Might be an AI handwriting generator. It would explain the weird typos.
:hmmyes:

Spazzle posted:

Fake handwriting flyers has been happening for at least 15 years.
True, it is only recently that we've been getting absolutely blanketed in the ads like a loving propaganda campaign from an invading imperial power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I, uh, can't really believe that more than one person has tried this, but apparently it's a common enough scam for homeless people to pretend to be private investigators/bounty hunters in order to get into a hotel.

Thankfully, they left after I informed them that, without a badge or license to operate in the jurisdiction, they're not apprehending suspects, they're committing kidnapping and false imprisonment. :v: