Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

mostlygray posted:

I shall now retire for the evening. I worked in that industry for a decade and hated it so... Once, though, I loved it. I wish I was back in the poo poo... It was magical. Now, all I have are memories of absurd inside deals and missed attempts to get free poo poo from reps.

B-but you've only just begun to school us! Don't take your bat and ball and go home yet! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
What about circumcised gas station attendants? Do you tip them or pump your own gas? Looking to hear from at least fifty people in every state here.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Why did you stay longer than three minutes? (Not snarky.)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
What a shame Freedomland is sadly lagging behind modern and superior banknote trends.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I believe in that case the advertising cheque was legally formatted as/included all the necessary elements to be considered a real cheque, so he was legally entitled to deposit it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's funny how like three in the last ten posts have talked about people getting spoofed calls from their own number.

The thread is spoofing posts from itself.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

DamagedGoods posted:

Wonderin' about a letter x2 I got today for Nextdoor. It's got a stamp on it. Dumb postal carrier put both in my physical mailbox. Thing is, oops noticed that there are 2 different codes. Seems fishy. Shredding atm. Activation code was said to expire in 7 days. Red flag for me. Watch out for this bullshit.

Isn't that literally their job? To put mail in mailboxes?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

tl;dr

except for this bit:

quote:

told we had no rights to our U.S. Exchange rate and ONLY continued to PUSH Zimbabwean rates at us. We however knew this was a violation of our rights as US citizens

:lmao:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Mustached Demon posted:

To be fair, my rear end in a top hat spits out more sense about affairs than orange man.

Is your arsehole orange though? (And is it mustached?)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Life imitates art. There was a "miracle cure"-pedding grifter in Contagion, and just like this hellworld we live in, his faithful followers bailed him out after the CDC or SEC or whoever investigated him and exposed the scam.

Oh, I'm sorry, I mean after :argh: THE drat FEDS :argh: put their bootheel down on an honest businessman just trying to get you the miracle cure that doctors Don't Want You To Know!!11!!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

bird with big dick posted:

How the gently caress you activate an almond

Meet it in a local diner and, during the conversation, drop a pre-defined phrase or sentence that it was given by its previous handlers

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Guest2553 posted:

So like :females: but for :almonds:
:goonsay:

I don't even know what you're trying to get at with this.

Proteus Jones posted:

How the gently caress did you get there?

No. More like a sleeper agent or Manchurian Candidate. But an almond.

:hai:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"We've stopped pretending this is an actual video game, My Lord"

(This was a Facebook ad)

Wasn't that an ad on these forums a few years back? "COME PLAY CYBBER NATIONS MY LORD" (complete with typo)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Quite a memory, did you save it to your computer?

Nah, that's just how much bad spelling/grammar annoys me.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

rt_hat posted:

Could be a bot..

Most likely this. I had scammerbots with scantily-clad duckface girls starting conversations out of the blue on LINE. Despite my responding to every single message from the first with goatse, they went through the entire script.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Guest2553 posted:

[timg]tl;dr: kid unintentionally nut-shot me reaching for a hug

Did it at least make an amusing "zzzoink" sound effect?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Cage Kicker posted:

Go gently caress yourself, if you fall for an OBVIOUS SCAM you are at least partly to blame for not exercising better judgement.

:emo:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Cage Kicker posted:

Yes, because no matter how obvious a scam it is, people are absolved of personal responsibility for making good decisions because ??????

I forgot I was posting on Something Compassionate...

beep boop

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

D34THROW posted:

So what's the scam? Change the hyperlink text to a legit URL while the actual URL for the hyperlink is the phishing site, counting on people not to hover over the link to verify its veracity?

That exact type of scam has been common in the wild for a few years now.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Salt Fish posted:

lol that's hilarious

Which slurs did you use?

Racist, sexist, and homophobic ones.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

EdsTeioh posted:

Welp I think this gives me exactly what I need. When she started posting these LENGTHY posts about “a new thing that’s all about positivity” I was a little suspicious but then she drops this big thing about “you know when you go to see your favorite band live and there are thousands of people singing along and experiencing the same energy? That’s what this is like but BETTER!” (Personally, my favorite band is the Dead Milkmen and I’ve never seen them with more than about 70 people, so no, I don’t really know that feeling). I tend to be pretty “cult aware” due to listening to weirdo podcasts and just generally being interested in dumb poo poo but this one has apparently escaped me.

This is the second time in ten years I've seen a Dead Milkmen reference anywhere, let alone on the forums, and the first was just yesterday :aaaaa:

Also now I'm salty because loving Steve Jobs won't let me play their music in my region :argh:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Brad pitt isn`t dead

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Midjack posted:

To be fair this is how I end up signing off on about half the phone calls I have to make.

In the reverse order though, I'd assume.

:ohdear:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Tunicate posted:

In the UK there's a similar scheme where elderly people can sell the house but keep living in it until they die, rent free.

IIRC one lady who did that ended up becoming the oldest living person in the UK.

France, not the UK. And there's doubt now over whether that woman was in fact the person she claimed to be, or that person's niece or something.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Organza Quiz posted:

https://x.com/scriptingjapan/status/1702081524815003735

The "Hi mom, it's me" scam is a little trickier in Japanese than in English.

That's a comic; it's written that way for laughs; it's as realistic as an American equivalent being "my son uses 'meow' as pronouns"; and the ore-ore scam has been around for almost two decades now.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Tears In A Vial posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatebeak#:~:text=Hatebeak%20is%20an%20American%20death,as%20to%20not%20distress%20Waldo.

Hatebeak is an American death metal band, formed by Blake Harrison and Mark Sloan, featuring Waldo (b. 1991), a grey parrot. Hatebeak is reported to be the first band to have an avian vocalist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwXKR9EWhXo

Brilliant.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

quote:

“I am a very smart lady. Well-educated. I fell for a scam,” McGee said at the meeting, before claiming she had been groomed into handing over the cash.

“Grooming is when you talk to somebody and you believe in them, and they get you to trust them that this is really real, and so I fell for it,” she said.

First off I don't think she's "very smart", and that's not what "grooming" means, so I'm doubting that she's "well-educated" too.

Got a feeling she's picked up chuds' chanting of GROOMER GROOMER GROOMER all the time and selected that word specifically to pick up some pity points.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Volmarias posted:

Uh

What do you think "grooming your successor" means? The usage is perfectly fine in this context, it doesn't have to be sexual in nature.

Yeah, fair point. I've just (1) heard chuds complaining about supposed groomers so much recently that my brain snapped to that meaning, and (2) thought that "fooled" was a much better word for the situation. Or "suckered". I still think she was trying to evade responsibility by choosing "groomed".

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
You just reminded me of the breathtaking list of demands in Curtis Got Slapped By a White Teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Saying that there are categories of scams I would not fall for resulted in replies like: "Everyone likes to think they're too smart to be a sucker. Con artists love this, because you're absolutely not." "And you, oh great scam detector, can be a victim if the circumstances meet your specific criteria." " Yeah, thinking you’re not the person that can be scammed puts you halfway there for the scammer". So the argument does seem to be that I'm arrogant (or greedy, I guess) for thinking exactly what you said above.

As I've already said, I could certainly see myself giving someone pocket money, click on a link, give my credit card number to someone I shouldn't, or similar things that actually involve a momentary lapse of reason. But much more than a momentary lapse of attention is needed to wait until a business day, go to a credit union branch, fill out the forms to withdraw my entire savings account in cash, talk the past the credit union people asking me why I'm withdrawing so much money, put said cash into a bag, wait until evening, look for a car to approach, and hand the bag of cash to the person in the car. I can maintain the level of awareness that I need to avoid going through a likely multi-day process to do something that I know will have significant consequences for my life indefinitely.

I don't believe that it can happen to anyone, and I think it makes more sense to make a plan of 'I plan on not withdrawing my entire bank account into a paper bag and handing it to someone' than to plan on someone one day convincing me to do that. Also I think a plan of 'get a lawyer as soon as possible if you think you're being investigated by LEOs, yes even if they tell you they're on your side' (which also derails the example) is better than 'make a plan for what to do if someone convinces you that they're an LEO and asks you to do something stupid, and you do it'.

I don't believe that it shows arrogance (I'm guessing that's what you meant? You still didn't clarify) to say "I will not go through the multi-hour to multi-day process (that involves talking to people who want to verify I'm not being scammed) required to withdraw my savings account into a paper bag, then hand it to someone" or "If I think I'm the target of an LEO investigation, I will contact a lawyer ASAP even if the alleged LEO tells me not to".

Oh hey John Smith are you back again? Thought you'd be too intelligent and rational to drop another :10bux: on a forum where you're in the top 20 ignored users.