Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It never fails to amaze me every time I visit north America from Australia that you have to prepay for fuel. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

stab posted:

Uhh thats actually pretty common (normal response)

She also had sex with him (SA response)

Did he help her move her printer first?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

General Specific posted:

Assuming this wasn't just some kind of awkward prelude to a burglary, what was this guy hoping to do? Do you live somewhere that's not locked down by a single ISP?

Wait wait wait

What is this "locked down by a single ISP" malarkey

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Not really a scam but I do enjoy having myname @Gmail.com and getting every legal document and official correspondence for every other person with my name who believes somehow that even though they've never used the address it is totally their email address so better put it on official forms.

Bonus fun when some Muppet with my name booked a holiday and used my address for the accommodation so I just clicked the "cancel" button in the confirmation email and hosed it off. Wonder what happened when they got to Bali on that trip.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Platystemon posted:

That’s technically illegal, as stupid as it is.

I don't know, the booking is in my name, has my details on it (name and email) and I have all the confirmation information. Pretty sure it's my booking since no money has changed hands :colbert:

A couple of times when the documents have looked really important (or dangerous to be sending to random people) I've sent a reply to let them know. They're usually confused but appreciative.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

When I used to work the late night shift at our local supermarket I would get someone trying to sign me up to MLM sales about once a fortnight. They always had the most hilarious arguments when I asked them to try to explain what they were actually signing me up for.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Class Warcraft posted:

My parents bought ground beef from a guy in a van once. It had shards of bone in it that I chipped my tooth on. Don't buy van meat.

Considering mince is $6 a kilo at the shops I can't imagine how loving cheap it must be to make the van version attractive to buy.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Thanks for making me break my "no drinking during the week" rule so that I can get that out of my head

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

WebDog posted:

There's a fun one in Australia where a company called BNRenewals scrapes ABN (Aussie business numbers) renewal dates then sends out a letter claiming to be a service that renews your account.

The use of a letter is an interesting touch as it looks more official than an email.

Thing is we already have ASIC that does all of the above for you and at half the price! One year is actually $35 and three years is $86!

There are similar schemes afoot where companies claim to be a service to check credit rating or car rego information but most of this can be done for free via government sites.
Amusingly it is actually legal as it's a legitimate service, just you are paying someone to do this for you and often a fee you never had to pay for in the first place.

I got caught out years ago with a credit check scheme, turns out I didn't need to pay for that, but the good news is the company got busted and I got refunded my fee.

I got an email last week from someone pretending to be ASIC telling me I needed to renew my business name. I checked manually on the Web and it actually expires in 2021 so idk I think I'll avoid clicking the link in the email.

Pretty good job looking official, though

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Recently back from a holiday in the US and Canada and why the gently caress does anyone ever buy tickets from scalpers? We bought tickets to nba, NFL and NHL games and were able to get cheap, official tickets within hours of the start for every one.

How dumb can you be?

(Reads rest of thread, cries quietly to self)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You are insanely naive if you actually think there's a government agency with teeth that enforces best practices and protects consumers. Probably a good mark.

Come to a first world country and you might be pleasantly surprised

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Konstantin posted:

Bitcoin mining hasn't been viable on general purpose PCs for years. People are building mining farms using purpose built hardware in places where power is cheap, spending millions of dollars to get everything set up.

And then hopefully committing suicide once the bubble bursts.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

We can't get mandatory waiting periods for loving firearms, good luck with that.

The companies would throw an absolute fit if you tried to do it, even more than the NRA. I suspect a lot of gift card purchases are last-minute and they'd lose a lot of money if people had 3 days to find something else.

Like just giving them the equivalent amount of cash, which they might realise is exactly as thoughtless a gift but at least you can use it anywhere

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

peanut posted:

I'm gonna blow your minds: Japan gave cell phones their own area code 20 years ago (it was 080 or 090 depending on your provider.) House phones have 10 digits, mobiles have 11. Sales calls seem to be limited to landlines.

New area codes have been introduced for digital phone lines running through fiberoptic internet and toll-free business numbers. :iia:

Australia has always had a seperate area code for mobile numbers. Each state has one (02 for NSW, 07 for Queensland, 03 for Victoria, with a couple of shared ones) with mobiles all starting with 04. All numbers are 10 digits (with the 0 dropped when dialling with a country code). Makes it trivial to know where numbers are calling from in a general sense. The next four digits used to be tied to specific areas but that's starting to get muddied since you can trivially move them around and they aren't necessarily linked anymore when you sign up for new ones.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

EKDS5k posted:

Every dialect of every country's version of the English language is just mangled phrases on top of corruptions on top of misheard loan words on top of more mangled phrases. Everything is made up and the grammar doesn't matter.

Yeah, being completely unintelligible through the usage of garbled grammar is fine.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

EKDS5k posted:

You need to travel more. Even within your own country there are hundreds of different dialects where, get this, they talk differently and use different turns of phrase than you. Maybe read a little on how even a single language can change and evolve in different ways in different places.

"Needs replaced" is perfectly intelligible as "needs to be replaced" to the group of people where it originated. Even to outsiders it's more "That's a funny way of saying it." The only people who don't understand "needs ____ed" after more than like a half second of thought are being deliberately obtuse.

Neither way is "correct," because who fuckin' says so? It's like kitty-corner, catty-corner, cat-a-corner, kit-a-corner, kattywampus, and caddy-corner. Every one of them is "right" to someone, but they're all mispronunciations of "cater-corner," and "cater" itself is a mispronunciation of a French word. Nobody even knows or cares anymore, though, and it doesn't matter anyway, because 90% of the time you're talking to someone who uses the same word as you, and the meaning is understood.

They consider themselves different languages, though, not variants of the same one.

Lol what a great rant. There's "different turns of phrase" and "completely broken English grammar that is effectively unintelligible to the overwhelming majority of speakers of the language". Strangely, English actually does have rules in it that have solidified over the centuries, which allow speakers from widespread areas to communicate clearly (and it's a great strength of the language). The broken gibberish you're rushing to defend is useless and unintelligent because of how much vagueness it introduces into the sentence. Does the subject need something in particular to be replaced and the writer just forgot to put that bit in? Does the whole thing need to be replaced and the writer is just being unclear? Did a bunch of letters fall off the sign and was it saying something else entirely?

It's like people who act like the general rules for apostrophes are some arcane science that is incomprehensible and isn't useful in the modern world - they're actually extremely useful for making sense of what you're writing, especially in the written form where tone and context are largely absent. Whilst grammar can be flexible, using words and phrases in too broken a manner inevitably leads to a breakdown in understanding and comprehension.

That's completely aside from the fact that "needs replaced" sounds like a three-year-old trying to explain something. That's the reason people think it's a "funny way of saying it". It sounds, frankly, moronic and is considerably harder to enunciate than just saying it the correct way.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Pharmaskittle posted:

Guy: Hey that lightbulb needs replaced.
You: I'm sorry?
Guy: That lightbulb *points at burnt out lightbulb* needs replaced
You: I'm sorry sir, I just can't understand what you're saying.
Guy: THAT-LIGHT-BULB-NEEDS-TO-BE-RE-PLACED

Which one looks stupid in that?

The first guy, who clearly knows the correct way to phrase the statement to be understood, but instead decided to sound like he was missing a chromosome for a bit?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

EKDS5k posted:

Yeah! And while we're at it, black people should quit with the ghetto-speak. Why can't they just learn to talk like normal people?

Wow

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

EKDS5k posted:

The scam is your government when they say they're looking out for you. Up here the liability on the consumer end due to fraud is $0 for cc, debit, online banking, cheques, you name it. I've had hundreds of dollars of fraudulent charges reversed with a single phone call to tell them that I wasn't the one who made them.

Not for the first time, us in the rest of the world are laughing at the US.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Tunicate posted:

The problem isn't the end users, the problem is that checks are a fundamentally broken system.

There's a reason that in first world countries we stopped using them over a decade ago (bank cheques excepted).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Don Gato posted:

Even in America I can count on one hand the amount of checks I've written. I wrote my first check at 27 and it was only because my debit card was stolen and my new one hadn't arrived yet.

So up to five times more than you should ever have to.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sometimes a check can just legitimately be a better option because :911: is going to :911:

I pay my rent with a check as it only became possible to pay online rather recently. It costs something like $50 extra to pay online because gently caress you. I of course still pay with a check. I pay my electric bill with a check as well as their website is horrible and tends to not work.

Wait, there's a charge to pay direct from a bank account? Just some more great work by the US failing at basic first world banking practices...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Thank gently caress that here paying rent is exactly the same as paying anything electronically - you either just use a normal bank transfer (identically to if you were just transferring money into any person's account) or using the standardised bill payment system (that is owned by the major banks, is designed to be simple and hassle-free and is free of charges). Last time I was renting (over a decade ago) the real estate agents literally would not let you pay any other way. Thank gently caress for a standardised national banking transfer system.

And there were already signs up at supermarkets saying cheques weren't accepted over twenty years ago when I was a kid; nowadays the signs don't exist because literally nobody is dumb enough to even try anymore. The only people who use a chequebook anymore are old people giving cash to grandkids and they're met with absolute baffled silence. Once in a very long while one of my clients will pay by cheque and it's an annoying trip to the bank to drop it in with the standard 3 day wait for funds to clear - with the express proviso that no goods or services are rendered till the thing clears.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

In Australia we use something called BPay. You get given a biller code and a customer code by (whoever), and then you can pay them right from your bank's website. They don't need any online presence at all, the bank handles it all.

Yeah that was the second thing I mentioned in my last post. It works very nicely for what it does and hopefully reduces the number of fuckwits clogging up the post office to pay all their bills one by one. I do like the inbuilt error checking if you're using online banking to pay a bill using it (the biller codes confirm on screen so you can tell if you've hosed them up before actually doing so).

E: although I've never worked out the point of postbillpay, which seems to be a complete duplicate of the system. I'm sure five seconds of googling would show it was just the same thing but developed by auspost and that it's totally redundant.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

Yeah the magical thing about working in Facilities Maintenance has been realizing that a clipboard and tool bag is a golden ticket to go anywhere the gently caress you want

I've found wearing my work polo and carrying my toolkit will get me literally anywhere in a business and nearly everyone will just let me onto their work PC without question, providing passwords if asked.

Hell, a good percentage of the time they'll wander off to get a coffee and leave me alone.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MrNemo posted:

Wow people in the US still get paid with an annual cheque you need to take to the bank? Employers don't just take your bank details and do an electronic transfer? Why?

From previous comments on this forum, apparently Americans still love their cheques.

At some point it pretty much qualifies for this thread just by dint of using them.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

ahahahahahahahahaha we just barely adopted chip & signature

hilariously, the most consistently advanced payment terminals I run into are at dollar general. They accept paypal!

Chip and signature is the loving stupidest thing in the universe and I am amazed that anywhere actually uses it

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was used to pay-for ATMs in the UK, but didn’t realize using one of another bank would charge me $3 just to check my balance in the US. Ouch. I think that was the last time I used an ATM here because of that, 3 years ago.

I like to think it's a $3 tax for not just looking at your balance on the bank website.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

That's bizarre, Square had readers here in Australia too and they are entirely contactless tap and go readers as far as I'm aware. No one here has swiped a card in years.

Except if you have an EFTPOS card still that isn't of the new type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Regulated gambling isn’t a scam. It may prey on human weaknesses but everything is exactly as it appears. It’s not any more of a scam than drugs. A scam in my mind requires some sort of deception.

I agree. It's unethical because it preys on people who are unable to control themselves, but at the end of the day it's not misrepresenting itself - they're not saying you're definitely winning a cent.