Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Corpse Party: Blood Drive is a top-down adventure game with survival horror elements and lots of anime. Blood Drive is the conclusion of the "Heavenly Host Saga" of the Corpse Party series, tying up all the loose ends from Corpse Party and Book of Shadows. Or tying up most of them, at least. Blood Drive's story is told over 11 Chapters and 8 Extra Chapters, but it's overall about as long as the PSP version of the first game, it's simply divided into more, shorter chapters.

Blood Drive expects you to be familiar with Corpse Party and Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, and spoils them in their entirety. If you have not played both of these games, either play them, or read my LPs of them before reading this thread! In fact, the rest of this OP is going to spoil the other games!

My LP of Corpse Party
My LP of Book of Shadows

Additional Reading: My LP of Corpse-Party for PC98 (no longer canon)

Book of Shadows is not a good game. If reading it is giving you a migraine, the canon chapters are 3, 4, 7 and 8. You can get away with only reading chapter 8 and won't miss much in Blood Drive other than some small references to the other canon chapters. The noncanon chapters aren't mentioned at all. The game also contains a few references to Corpse Party -THE ANTHOLOGY- Sachiko's Game of Love Hysteric Birthday 2U, which is not available in English and is ultimately non-canon and can safely be ignored. I'll provide explanations to the references as they come up.

Two months have passed since Ayumi Shinozaki's attempt to bring her deceased friends back to life failed. The blowback from the black magic nearly took Ayumi's and Naomi's lives, but Ayumi's older sister Hinoe arrived just in time to sacrifice herself in order to save them. Determined to correct her mistakes, Ayumi attempts to seek out the Book of Shadows once again...

Blood Drive returns to the gameplay format of the original Corpse Party, abandoning the point and click gameplay of Book of Shadows. There are a lot of new mechanics added to this game as well, to give you a few things to worry about when playing beyond finding where to go or which items to use where.

Blood Drive is...not a good game. I'm a huge fan of the series so I enjoyed it, but I cannot recommend in good conscience that you spend money on this game, for reasons that will become very clear when we get to the first gameplay portion of the game and you all see that it's not only a technical mess, but the new mechanics simply are not fun to play with at all. One mechanic was received so poorly in fact, that the Japanese release had a patch a couple weeks after release to give the player the option to completely disable it (this option is in the English release from the start.) But we'll get into that when we get to it.

This is a hybrid LP. The game will mostly be shown in a screenshot format, with supplemental videos for when the audio is important. Be sure to wear headphones when watching videos, to experience the game's binaural audio. Video content will be transcribed for those of you who cannot watch them.

This is a 100% run. I'll be getting every Wrong End and collecting every nametag. I'll also be covering the bonus content, including the Soulful Testimonies and the Encyclopedia Obscura.

Do not post spoilers in this thread; not even in tags. Also avoid hinting at future events, like "The next update is going to be pretty violent. Not for the faint of heart!" This rule doesn't apply to the other games in the series. Go nuts talking about all the plot spoilers for Corpse Party and Book of Shadows that you want, no spoiler tags necessary, because the game's going to spoil it all anyway.

Visual Summary of the Corpse Party Series

Chapter 00 - Part 1
Chapter 00 - Part 2
Chapter 00 - Part 3

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Video: Chapter 00 Intro

Music: Broken Memory

Aaaaah!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

...? S-Sis...!

Music: None

...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Sound Effect: Siren

It had been two months since the "Book of Shadows" incident. I'd been critically wounded by the blowback from the sorcery I'd involved myself with, but Nakashima was there to carry me out from the crumbling Shinozaki estate. The two of us were picked up on the side of the old mountain road and rushed to a hospital, where I was restored to stable condition. The grimoire responsible for so much of the horror everyone had been through, the Book of Shadows, was buried in the rubble of the estate when its roof collapsed.

...Hard to believe that over two months had passed since the fall of Heavenly Host Elementary...since the five of us were returned safely to the real world...

Music: Cute Gesture

Female Student 1: Hya!

Female Student 1: Hmm... That's weird. According to that urban legend site, tearing the paper doll is supposed to cause an earthquake and get you spirited away...
Female Student 3: Hey! That's not the kind of thing you invite your friends to do with you, is it?!
Female Student 2: That's so mean!
Female Student 1: Ahaha! Sorry, guys! But now we'll always be together, right?

And certainly, no one was going to miss a place like that, where countless living beings were trapped, their lives snuffed out violently and traumatically...

...but along with the school, the lives of our friends and our teacher were also erased. And they weren't just dead, but wiped from existence entirely...

Music: The Mad Clock

I know she's real! Why won't anyone believe me?!

Natsumi: Listen, there's no such person as Seiko. Now, take your medicine! Please!

No! NOOO!!

Sound Effect: Crash

Natsumi: Naomi? Naomi... Take the medicine! Take it!

No! I'm not crazy! I'm not!

Someone! Someone, please help!! Class rep! Hang in there!

...! No! No, I won't let you die!

VIDEO ENDS HERE

Music: Girl Date

When I reached the front gate, I stopped and stared at the school grounds, shrinking back a bit... I knew that once I passed through these gates... I'd be reminded of a reality where Suzumoto, Ms. Yui, and the others no longer exist...

Satoshi calls out to Ayumi, and she runs forward to meet her friends.

Guys...

These were the only people in the world who understood me. The only people I could relate to. The only ones who remembered our four departed friends...

Welcome back. Congratulations...on your recovery.

And Naomi immediately grabs Ayumi's chest.

Okay, she's hugging her, but the animation is really poorly done and it looks like groping. And knowing Corpse Party, it wouldn't be surprising if that's what it was supposed to be.

Ayumi rests her head on Naomi's shoulder and cries.

At this point, we're put into control of Ayumi and can walk around and talk to the others.

Fun fact: we're actually forced to talk to everyone. The game won't proceed unless we do.

Kishinuma...

Mm... Thanks.

Nakashima...

I... I'm fine, Yuka! Thank you.

There's absolutely nothing else on this screen, even things to investigate for flavor text. So we approach the school and the screen fades to black.

Video: The Curse

I didn't know that even outside of the closed spaces of Heavenly Host...even here in the real world...

We see a schoolgirl enter her bedroom, closing the door behind her.

The girl sets her bag on the desk and sits on her bed.

Female Student: I hope Mama worked the early shift today. I'm starving!

Suddenly, the door flies open.

Female Student: ...Mama...?

Female Student: ...*exhale*

The girl closes the door and returns to her bed.

The girl suddenly gets flung against the ceiling

Music: The Mad Clock

And then her spine starts to bend backwards...

Sound Effect: Snap

...and she falls.

VIDEO ENDS HERE

Video: Opening

Music: In the Rain

And the game's opening animation plays. It's pretty good; I recommend watching it!

The green text represents background dialog. In this case, it's a male reporter on the television.

I like how Naomi's mom is referred to as Natsumi, while Ayumi's mom has no identity beyond being Ayumi's mother.

Ayumi's Mother: Still can't believe your luck, tripping and falling on...what was it again? A cutting tool? And that's all it took to put you out of commission for two months... Life certainly is fragile. What were you doing, anyway? I hope you're not dabbling in that occult business like your sister!

Ayumi's Mother: ...And Hinoe, disappearing like always... I swear, these girls of mine are giving me gray hairs!

Ayumi's mom's hobby is exposition. She just exposits to people she sees daily about things that happened months ago. It's very tiring for everyone involved, I'm sure.

After leaving the living room, Ayumi retreats to Hinoe's room. It's a pretty faithful recreation of the (hideously resized) version shown in the PSP version of Blood Covered.

Sound Effect: Thud

...GgggggGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!

Ayumi immediately turns and slams her fist into the wall.

Sound Effect: Thud Thud Thud

And again and again, this time punching so hard that blood splatters out of her hand.

That same horrible scene played out in my memory once more...

Music: Broken Memory

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!! Aagh...! *choke* *sob*

A massive earthquake rippled through the basement of the Shinozaki estate, leaving it teetering on the edge of collapse. Worse still, the whole place was in flames. Hinoe's lifeless body appeared as if shimmering in the fire's light, red glinting off of red around the edges of the blades that were rapidly sluicing her flesh. They danced around and through her almost whimsically, prompting unnatural gyrations throughout her body without ever letting her so much as touch the ground.

STOOOOP!!

...but Hinoe used what little strength she had left to push me back.

Hinoe: You need to live, Ayumi. Remember, your sister will be with you always...in your heart...

I could distinctly hear these words in the back of my head, spoken in a soft, soothing voice.

It was short-lived, however, as the ceiling suddenly became webbed with cracks and fissures and a massive beam fell from above, crushing her upper body entirely.

AAAAAAAAAAAH!!

My hands and feet were covered in red bruises and cuts from the swarm of blades that my "spell" had summoned. Naomi was bleeding as well, but nowhere near as badly.

No! Class rep! We have to go!
LET ME GO! LET ME GO!! AAAAAAHHHH!!

We sought -- and found -- another place that shouldn't exist: the estate of Yoshie and Sachiko Shinozaki. It was supposedly torn down long ago...but there it stood. In its basement, we found an old book of spells known as the "Book of Shadows." Convinced I could undo the horrors I'd seen, I decided to try a little black magic of my own. This, inevitably, led to the worst nightmare of them all. I was attacked from all sides, uncertain what was real and what was not. The wounds I endured should've been fatal.

I don't know how she knew where I was...but just as things seemed bleakest...Sis came rushing in to my rescue. In the end, I'd only made things worse. All I did...was add one more sacrifice to the pile.

Video: Hinoe's Room

Back in Hinoe's room, Ayumi gets back on her feet.

Sound Effect: Crash

And she swings her arm at the nearby vanity, knocking the pair of scissors to the floor.

Sound Effect: Scissors

Aaaaaagh!

Ayumi picks up the scissors and immediately cuts herself with them.

Sound Effect: Scissors

I should've died! It should've been me! I'm responsible for everyone's death!

Sound Effect: Scissors 2

...Come on, don't stop! Just die already.

With one shoe on my desk and sporting a rare open-mouthed version of a poo poo-eating grin, a boy wearing a black parka was just somehow...there, in my room, without explanation.

This narration kind of confuses me. I'm fairly certain this is Hinoe's bedroom she's in, based on it being nearly identical to Hinoe's room in the PSP game, but Ayumi refers to it as "my room." I'm pretty sure the narration is incorrect here.

If you're about to die, why do you care who I am? Clearly, you're not serious about this at all.
Ghh... *whimper*

Ayumi returns to the vanity.

And she picks up the jade knife and lifts it above her head.

Like I said, you're not serious. You're just deluding yourself.
Where's your mind at, bitch? Aren't you just looking to save yourself? Spare yourself from all this suffering?
So stop lashing out and do something about it, you fucktard! Ain't nobody else gonna come to your rescue!

I'm nobody.

The boy walks across the room to Ayumi's side.

And the boy silently turns around and approaches the window.

All I could do was stand there and sob.

VIDEO ENDS HERE

Meanwhile...

(Shinozaki's house should be somewhere around here, I think...)

And the boy in the black parka walks by Yoshiki.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
As much as I love the series as well, yeah this was not a fun one to Plat.

Zaras
Mar 11, 2013

Okay.
Hoo boy, parka-boy is the most anime of the entire bunch, almost looks like he belongs in a Persona game instead.

Lookin' forward to this, enjoyed your LPs of the other two games.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Is it weird to say I've been looking forward to this thread? Because I have been. I played Corpse Party, read the LP of the mess that was Book of Shadows and now I'm weirdly invested in how all this poo poo's going to end but I wasn't prepared to buy a Vita to find out, especially for a game people, including you, tell me is not actually very good.

Is Ayumi's mother just currently unaware that Hinoe died or what? She wasn't erased from existence, clearly. And she talks about slipping on a cutting implement? I don't really understand that exchange at all.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Is Ayumi's mother just currently unaware that Hinoe died or what? She wasn't erased from existence, clearly. And she talks about slipping on a cutting implement? I don't really understand that exchange at all.

There is really no way to explain what happened without sounding crazy. She died due to backlash from a magic ritual in a house that only sometimes exists. There might be no way to retrieve the body. As for the cutting implement, Ayumi had to explain her cuts from the ritual somehow, so she made up a story.

I am grateful for this LP, since I never got this game after the absolute crap that was Book of Shadows.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Is that a name change?
Before i clicked on the thread, i was like "Wait, there's someone else who LPs these games?"

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Curse you morbid curiosity, you bring me back here again. Let's see how this ends.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

HenryEx posted:

Is that a name change?
Before i clicked on the thread, i was like "Wait, there's someone else who LPs these games?"

Yeah, I bought a name change

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Is the person behind this sequel the same guy who made the original? For all the things hilariously wrong and anime with the first game, both in PC-88 and PSP form, they were at least pretty rooted in the basics of horror. Super Cool Badass Hoodie Guy and the various gothic lolitas in the opening video have fan fiction character written all over them.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Explosions posted:

Is the person behind this sequel the same guy who made the original? For all the things hilariously wrong and anime with the first game, both in PC-88 and PSP form, they were at least pretty rooted in the basics of horror. Super Cool Badass Hoodie Guy and the various gothic lolitas in the opening video have fan fiction character written all over them.

Makoto Kedouin, the original writer of the series, is behind this game. I believe some writers from Book of Shadows were involved as well, though. In terms of writing quality, I'd say Blood Drive falls between the PSP game and Book of Shadows. It has some dumb stuff, but it's not just an atrocious slog from start to finish (gameplay aside, which certainly could be described that way)

Also I should be posting a new update this week. This game's a bit more work than the others since I have to capture the sound effects manually and make my own mugshots since it's not so easy to rip all of the assets from Vita games, so there won't be "multiple update weeks" like I kept up with the other games.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So on a scale from "80 year old nun's Sunday afternoon" to "12 year old boy's wet-dream," how fanservice-y is this one? Just so I know what I'm in for, here.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

azren posted:

So on a scale from "80 year old nun's Sunday afternoon" to "12 year old boy's wet-dream," how fanservice-y is this one? Just so I know what I'm in for, here.

It's preety much Book of Shadows level of fanservice-y.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Looking good with anime hoody boy in the first couple minutes. Really hype for when Heavenly Host comes back as a three stage boss monster.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The first game was fun, the second one I couldn't play for more than 10 minutes, and I didn't even entertain the thought of buying this one. That said, I still want to know what happens to everyone, and how Mochida can once again somehow be portrayed as the hero of the story despite doing far less than most of the supporting cast. Looking forward to this LP.

Extreme0 posted:

It's preety much Book of Shadows level of fanservice-y.

I was going to ask if we were going to spared Piss Quest 2.0, but deep down I already know the answer :negative:

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I don't think the fan service in this is on the level of Book of Shadows. It's got a few bad scenes, but I'd place it between Blood Covered and Book of shadows there.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Hamsterlady posted:

I don't think the fan service in this is on the level of Book of Shadows. It's got a few bad scenes, but I'd place it between Blood Covered and Book of shadows there.

Fan service isn't exactly at the level of BoS but it nearly reached it at points. That's all I'm going to mention about it though considering it's just fanservice and nothing more really.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Female Student: Bow!

Mr. Yamazaki: Nice work, everyone.

Music: Everyone's Kindness

You brought lunch today, right? Let's eat on the roof.
Oh, sure. Seems like a nice day for that. Let's go!

The scene changes, and Satoshi and Yoshiki arrive on the roof.

Love that autumn sun!

The two of them walk to the edge of the roof.

...I gotta say, though, my lunch box sure feels light...
What'd you bring today, Yoshiki?
I had some time, so I fried up a little somethin'.

Sounds like first world problems, if you ask me!
You think so?

The boys open their lunch boxes in unison...

...and the game slowly zooms in on Satoshi's.

You're such a drama queen, Satoshi

Uh...umm... Ms. Kuon...uhh...Niwa?
(I think?)
(Yeah.)

Music: Everyone's Kindness

She was an English teacher with white hair, blue eyes, and a soft, delicate voice.

We asked our classmates about her the day we returned from Heavenly Host Elementary. They said she was a teacher who'd come to our school half a year ago...but the five of us had no memory of that. In our world -- the one we came from -- we had Ms. Yui instead, filling the exact same role. So we meant no offense to Ms. Kuon, but her presence here...this reality...just felt inherently wrong to those of us who survived the Heavenly Host incident.

Blood Drive takes two months after the final chapter of Book of Shadows. This is more than enough time to learn your TA's name.

What is it you'd most like to eat?
Huh?
What's your favorite food?
Uh...uhhh...pork cutlet on rice, I guess?
...Okay.

And with that, Kuon leaves.

Haha. She's probably just messing with you!

Okay. But you should probably hurry it up. I mean, lunch has already started, so I doubt they have a whole lot left at this point.
Oh, crap, you're right! Okay, wait right here. I'll be back!

We're put into control and given a brief explanation of how sprinting works. We can hold the O button to sprint, but it gradually drains our stamina. If you run out stamina, you'll be winded for a bit, and move slowly for awhile. If you continue to sprint while winded, you'll have to stop entirely to catch your breath. There's no visible stamina gauge, you just have to get a feel for how long you can sprint and avoid exerting yourself.

Remember the chase sequences in the other games? Imagine those, but with stamina management.

Anyway, we sprint over to the door that's two steps away and the game takes control away from us again.

After a quick fade to black, we fade back in and Satoshi is stumbling back onto the roof.

My eyes shone upon meeting those of the magnificent golden fried shrimp.

Really?! Thank you so much! Aaaaah...!

Sound: Helicopter

As Satoshi leans in to be hand-fed by Yoshiki (???), they're distracted by the sound of a nearby helicopter.

And a man in black descends on a rope ladder?

Huh? M-Me? I...am, but, uhh...

Man in Black: I've come to deliver your lunch.

Whaaa?!

And with his task completed, the man returns to the rope ladder.

And he's carried away.

...Who... WHAT is Ms. Kuon?!

The scene cuts to the school gates, and we see a girl staring up at the sky.

Music: The Time for Girls

The classroom glowed with the golden hue of twilight, but my gaze was fixed at the floor. It must have been obvious to Nakashima that I had a lot on my mind.

Are you...okay?

She asked this as she sat down at a desk in front of me, facing backward. She was trying to comfort me. But she had dark circles around her eyes too. She and I must have looked very similar to one another, from an outside perspective. My left hand was still wrapped in bandages. It throbbed incessantly, reminding me of the previous night's events. I ignored it as best as I could and forced an empty smile.

I won't...cause any more trouble.
Huh?
Trouble? What do you mean?

Class rep...

What's wrong, Naomi?
Our class rep seems to be taking everything really hard. We should try to support her a little more.
She's not the only one, Naomi. You've been pretty hard on yourself too, don't you think?
...I'm fine. I mean, I'm not the only one suffering here. We've all got to be strong for one another.
...I just...hope she doesn't do anything drastic.

As I walked, I thought back to my time in the hospital.

Music: Light

I was lying in bed, arms and legs virtually mummified in bandages, when a woman with flowers came in to see me.

Who are you...?
My name is Mirai Yamamura. Hinoe...er, your sister and I are both part of the "Wicca Institute," an association dedicated of the worship of spirits.
So...you know Sis?
I do. That's why I've come to see you.

I appreciate that Ayumi is confined in a little box so they don't have to draw a hospital gown version of her portrait.

...Are your parents...not here at the moment?
They're out shopping.
I see. So neither your father nor your mother know, then. About Hinoe's...death...

The day she lost her life...before she went after you to the old Shinozaki estate...the last person she contacted was me.
Sis contacted you?!
...She probably understood her fate...and accepted it. The spirits can reveal a person's time of death, if you let them.
But she was prepared to take action regardless. She didn't care what the consequences might be. She really was an amazing person...

*sob* *hic*

I had been sitting up in bed, but unconsciously started to curl into a fetal position as best as I could with the bandages. Yamamura put her hand on my back to comfort me.

*sniffle* ...Huh?

If that book should ever fall into the wrong hands, the world would most assuredly be plunged into utter chaos. See, we of the W.I are an association of white witches who commune with spirits and abide by the will of nature. Hinoe was initially hesitant to involve herself with anything related to the Shinozaki bloodline, having defied her parents and rejected her lineage...but in recent years, she's been sensing the presence of the book and growing more and more intrigued.
The other Wiccans and I looked for it, of course...but we found no hint of it at the site of Yoshie and Sachiko Shinozaki's estate. We were surprised to find burned beams and other debris of the old house on what we expected to be nothing more than a vacant lot...but that was all we found.

Yamamura looked directly into my eyes.

Yamamura pulled a notepad from her pocket and carefully wrote a name and address on the top sheet. She then tore the page and handed it to me.

"Makina Shinozaki"

...I knew that name! It was...on the family tree...

Makina Shinozaki is the old woman who appears in chapter 3 of Book of Shadows. You would know this if you played Hysteric Birthday, which no one who doesn't speak Japanese has.

(Yeah, in the Shinozaki estate's basement, Yoshie's grandmother had had three daughters, and the second was Makina. So Yoshi's mother's younger sister... Yoshie's aunt!

We tried, but we were too strongly connected to the spirit world. We just...couldn't enter the room. I don't know what, exactly, you might find there...but if you have the strength to fulfill Hinoe's last request, I'd like to ask that you try.

Sis'...last request...

On the other side of the door, a peculiar girl stood in wait. As soon as Yamamura had covered enough distance to put me out of earshot, the two of them spoke.

Music: Strange Proposal

Is... Is that good enough? Can I go now?

...!

Yamamura ran away, as quickly as she could without drawing attention to herself. As if in response, the intimidating girl in the peculiar outfit spat on the hospital wall.

As she mumbled these words, she sneaked a sidelong glance at me in my room. I was completely oblivious.

It was time to meet my fate. I had no trouble locating Makina's residence. I don't know what I was expecting, but what I found was just...an ordinary apartment building. ...I couldn't involve Mochida and the others in this. They'd been through enough already. Besides, this was a family matter. My bloodline was responsible for this whole mess, so it was only right that I be the one to make amends. Alone.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Sorry for the long delay between updates. Real life got a little busy. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up a more regular schedule from now on.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Aside from the first Wicca lady, each new character introduction just makes me want to hurry to the part where people start dying.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

U-DO Burger posted:

Aside from the first Wicca lady, each new character introduction just makes me want to hurry to the part where people start dying.

im the man in black upstaging the cast's resident ur-badass

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think this is where I would've put the game down. Went from basically normal kids sucked into horror dimension to... poo poo that only appears in comedic animes like helicopter butlers and the girl with a design that seems intentionally designed to remind you of Maya Fey.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I'm sensing that bitchy titties at the end there is going to be a pretty big problem in the future. Or die horrifically for being an rear end in a top hat, either way.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Robindaybird posted:

I think this is where I would've put the game down. Went from basically normal kids sucked into horror dimension to... poo poo that only appears in comedic animes like helicopter butlers and the girl with a design that seems intentionally designed to remind you of Maya Fey.

Record time. No one's even peed yet!

Also, this is only tangentially related to the thread, but I believe a few people here followed my old lps, so I thought I'd mention that Okage Shadow King is now available on PS4 as a PS2 classic. It has a platinum trophy, too! I don't think it's on the PAL psn though, just NA

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Explosions posted:

The new major characters in Blood Drive feel like bad OCs to me as well. I watched a full playthrough of the Japanese version before the English version came out, but all I'll say is that I hate the new characters. Super glad to see SA's Corpse Party LPer covering this game, though. :v:

I find it odd that parka was just left as parka. Parka is what they call hoodies in Japanese—they just use a loan word. Leaving the loan word as-is in the localization isn't entirely weird, but who calls hoodies parkas in American English?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

How Ingratiating! posted:

I find it odd that parka was just left as parka. Parka is what they call hoodies in Japanese—they just use a loan word. Leaving the loan word as-is in the localization isn't entirely weird, but who calls hoodies parkas in American English?

Now that you mention it, that is odd. I didn't think anything of it since it's technically an acceptable word, but "parka" does tend to evoke more of a hooded winter coat image in my mind rather than a simple hoodie.

Also! The 3DS version of Blood Covered (that's the good one!) is coming out in English! It's got a couple of new Exchapters, one of which explains what the hell happened to Yoshiki between him getting beaned in the head by Yoshikazu and him just showing up perfectly fine a couple chapters later. I'd like to cover the new stuff as bonus material in this thread or something if it's still running when it comes out, but I'm not paying to have my 3DS rigged up as a capture device so alas, that probably won't happen.

Also also! An update is in the works and I should be able to get it done this weekend. Spooky stuff happens in it!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

haha, this character seems like a real class act

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Since the thread's been bumped, lemme take a quick informal poll about the next update. It's long. Like, the length of two full updates. It's in sort of a weird spot where it's still in the early game story establishing stuff so there's a whole lot of dialog, but also there's introductory gameplay as well. Since this is all interspersed together, there's not really a good spot to split it without either creating a short update where nothing much really happens, or splitting it down the middle and breaking up things that should really all be presented at once. Thinking ahead about the rest of the game, I don't really think this will be a problem after the next update. So let me ask you all how you would prefer I deal with this update.

I can post it as is. This could mean what's basically 4 updates on the first page, or if we hit page 2 before I get it ready (it's all written, just have to put together mugshots and sounds, will probably be done tomorrow or the day after), then probably this update and at least one more on page 2. Could be annoying to load the thread for a bit, but we're only a little over 10 posts to the next page

I can post it off-site and link to it, which will help the loading problems, but the link could be easily overlooked by people glancing over the thread for updates and it'd be inconsistent with the rest of the thread, which would bother me personally because I like everything to match.

I can split it and post them two days in a row, preferably splitting it between two pages in the process (with the first half on the tail end of this page and the second half on the next). This would mean a short update on the first day where nothing very interesting happens followed the next day by a slightly longer update where things do happen.

So it's up to you, thread! I personally would rather just post it either at the very end of this page or the beginning of the next, but the images in this thread are large and I don't know if any of you are on lovely internet or read it on mobile or something, so I thought I'd ask for some opinions.

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013
I think you should post it as is, but that's probably because I don't have lovely internet.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
If you're really concerned about page clutter, you can always use a test poster page and just put a link in the actual post.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Post as-is! I don't mind cluttered pages at all. (Unless you're really, really concerned, in which case a test-poster would be just fine.)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
The last two games made me a bit sick to read.

and here I am again. What's wrong with me?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Like ripping off a bandaid, post it all at once and lets get this part over with.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Post it all! gently caress the weak and their weak internet connections!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Post it all!

After asking the thread to post until we get to the next page preferably.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, just post it and use the test poster. Maybe include a screenshot from the update to put in the main thread so people don't miss it while skimming through.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I would like things to happen so I vote that you just post the full update

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Have we reached the second page yet? Or do we need to post a little more?

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I say full update. Also, go next page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I'll vote full update too. The lp isn't for the faint hearted or faint connected.

• Locked thread