Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

quote:

URGENT REPORT: BRANCH CHIEF EYES ONLY

Approximately 6 hours ago an unknown incident led to the conversion of a small group of civilians into uncontrolled Renegade state. Due to the remote area and a shortage of manpower the incident went unrecognized until civilian casualties reached the point where non-UGN authorities were alerted. By the time our team became aware of the incident matters had escalated to the point where military forces intervened and, with considerable losses, exterminated the converted civilians.

Our attempts to exert UGN authority over the operation have gone unrecognized due to "communication failures", but our current intelligence indicates that the military are attempting to facilitate transport of the remains to a nearby high-security research base. We believe it is imperative to retrieve these remains before they are contained within the facility. However, the previously stated shortage of available enhanced field agents has made it impossible for us to respond in a timely manner.

Requesting immediate enhanced assistance for this mission. Please furnish any available agents, or suitable secondary resources, ASAP.

So, a few months ago I completed the 4th draft of a new game: Badass Kung Fu Demigods. BAKFDG is a high-powered (in fact, ridiculously-powered) action RPG. Having brought the game to what I believe is a near-complete state it is still in desperate need of an actual playtest. Lacking the opportunity to do it in person I've decided to come here looking for someone willing to give it a shot.

Here (well, the Fatal and Friends thread) is also where I learned about Double Cross, a weird Japanese game of pseudo-superhero craziness. After picking up the Double Cross PDF I found it full of fun ideas and plenty of cheesy dialogue but the system itself didn't quite grab me. But I was in the middle of writing BAKFDG and I was so enamored with Double Cross as a concept that I decided to write a more-or-less complete conversion of the Double Cross game to the BAKFDG rules.

And that combination is where you, dear readers, come in. I've written up a one-shot playtest scenario in the setting of Double Cross which I was hoping I could talk some of you into playing.

What's Badass Kung Fu Demigods?
In short its a game of playing with power. Lots of power. Inspired by some of the better bits of shonen anime, RPG settings (not rules) like Exalted and Scion, and games like Asura's Wrath or God of War (well, the cutscenes from those games at least). You are given the power to wreak havoc, destroy cities and overthrow countries and its up to you to deal with the consequences of wielding that power. In the Double Cross version the power level is a bit lower and the consequences a bit more dire, but the core rules and ideas are the same and it should make a good playtest environment.

Well, what's Double Cross?
Set in the modern day of 201X, the population of the world has been unknowingly infected with the Renegade Virus. In most people the virus is dormant but in times of extreme stress the virus can awaken, granting them superhuman abilities...or if they can't control the transformation they become rampaging monsters called Gjaum. Even those gifted with superhuman abilities (called Overeds) must be careful because drawing on too much of the Renegade's power can still corrupt you and turn you into a monster. To keep things under control and not covered in disease-monsters the UGN (Universal Guardian Network) recruits superhumans to hunt down out of control mutants and fight against those Overeds who are willing to use their powers for selfish reasons. Sort of a Japanese version of Generator Rex.

Those not familiar with the Double Cross setting who need a more thorough setting summary I'm happy to help.

Where are these rules then?
Right here: Double Cross BAKFDG Playtest. For some reason the google drive reader screws with the fonts, it might look better if you download it but it should be readable either way.

Character Creation
The playtest scenario assumes at least a tangential connection with the UGN. Although the UGN prefers to work with trusted Agents (even some people who have been with the UGN since childhood), they will deal with so-called Illegals (Overeds not affiliated with the UGN) or even ex-Agents if the situation demands it.

You can use the following template for writing up characters:

quote:

Name: Overed characters often go by nicknames or codenames ('Wild Card', 'Vermillion Blade', 'Purple Lightning', etc), but there's no reason you can't use your regular name.
Concept:
Syndrome Type(s):
Blood Type:

XP: This starts at 0
Corruption: This starts at 30% plus 1d10%.

Background Info:
  • First Impressions: Appearance, mannerisms, personal style, etc.
  • Work: What you do in your day-to-day life. This might be work for the UGN or try and live a more independent life.
  • Cover: The parts of your life that are secret and who knows about them. If you work for the UGN, operate with the criminal underworld, etc.
  • Awakening: What traumatic event caused the Renegade virus to activate, awakening your powers.

Traits:
  • [d10]:
  • [d8]:
  • [d8]:
  • [d6]:
  • [d6]:
  • [d6]:
  • [d6]:

Style: If any
Signature Powers: If any

Loises

Miscellaneous Info: Other info, explanations of your traits, expanding on your Loises, etc.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

By the way, the default Double Cross setting is "City N", a generic Japanese city. I'm happy to play there if everyone else is, but my knowledge of Japan is, admittedly, fairly superficial. Let me know if you'd prefer to stick with City N or an equally generic North American city.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Tentatively interested - reading through rules!

edit: Debating between a Hanuman/Exile Cross Breed or a Hanuman/Chimaera Cross Breed - I find the two of them pretty similar, actually. Chimaera looks to be more outwardly obvious, with incorporation of animal traits, but Exile seems like you can get pretty monstrous too.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 23, 2016

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Yeah, Chimera and Exile both have a fair amount in common. Chimera's abilities tend to be more obvious and give you a few more options (things like wings, gills, sensory adaptations, etc) but Exiles are certainly pretty monstrous as well.

However, thinking about the differences and especially the theme of Chimera I think I'll also give a Chimera Overed the benefits of the Deadly Weapons rule when manifesting huge claws, armblades etc.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

(Alright, here's my first crack at this. Let me know what needs to be fixed.)

"For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a Stranger, and you invited Me in"

[Name] Stranger
[Concept] Amoral (but friendly!) Shapeshifter, Spy, and Triathlete
[Syndromes] Hanuman & Exile [Blood Type] AB [Age] 34

[0 XP] [Corruption] 40

[Background Info]
    [First Impressions]
    Stranger (when he's not working or... 'working'), takes the guise of a handsomely generic-looking man, which most people think of as his natural form. Day to day, he never looks exactly the same - a little taller, a little darker in his complexion - but it is undeniably him. He simply doesn't feel the need to rigorously match his outward appearance with his perception of himself. In truth, he doesn't think it matters all that much: his body is a tool, a vessel for his mind, and so long as others can interact with him to their convenience, it's good enough. As a matter of fact, he finds that all manner of things matter very little to him, in and of themselves. He certainly doesn't think of himself as human, and he feels increasingly distant from 'baseline' humanity as time goes on. That being said, he is friendly and affable, and fiercely loyal to his cause and to his social circle. Secretly, he worries about what might happen without these connections - even without turning Gjaum, he'd just walk into the forest one day and never come back.
    [Work]
    Day to day, Stranger takes on another identity - world famous (well, nationally famous) triathlete Nick Lavine. Despite his Renegade abilities, Nick is a firmly mid-ranked athlete - he has no real desire to win, after all. He just likes the company. Unlike his 'natural form', Nick has a firmly defined look (tall, muscular, tanned, great hair and stubble, wonderful smile) - constant appearances pictures and videos and articles give Stranger all the reinforcement he needs to keep consistent. Stranger knows that Nick and his friends and colleagues aren't 'real', but then, nothing is. Compartmentalization is fine by him!
    [Cover]
    Stranger works for the UGN as a spy and, occasionally, an assassin. His speed and ability to meld into a crowd grant him unparalled access to highly protected figures. He prefers to work alone when he's 'working', but plays along when he's forced into a team. By and large, he likes to be given an objective with few restrictions and minimal oversight - he works best if he can improvise, a little.
    [Awakening]
    As far as studies can tell, he Awakened in early childhood. He dimly recalls walking with his parents in some sort of public space and getting separated. He panicked, and it was nearly an hour before they found eachother again. That is, Stranger found them - by the time they met up, he looked like someone completely different. After a few... difficult years, he was picked up by the UGN and he's been with them since. As for his parents, he doesn't concern himself with them unduly - after all, they were someone else's parents.
[Traits]
    [d10] Infiltrator : His ability to move with perfect stealth among a crowd, enter restricted areas, and close in on his objectives.
    [d8] Syndrome : Manifests both Hanuman and Exile traits
    [d8] Unnatural Speed (In Pursuit) : Moves with unnatural grace and speed, especially when he's hunting his prey... er, target.
    [d6] Denser than He Looks : Looks to weigh 200 pounds, actually weighs closer to 500 - quite disarming in combat!
    [d6] Unnerving (Against Shaken Target): Something about him is uncomfortable to look at - he doesn't look quite right, sometimes. He can capitalize on this, if need be, especially if his target is already shaken.
    [d6] Strange Organs : Humans have many vestigial organs. Stranger has done away with his, and replaced them with something a little more useful.
    [d6] Friendly Stranger : A stranger is just a friend you haven't met! Stranger can appear to be helpful, kind and innocent, if he so wishes.
[Signature Powers]
    Waiting Maw - (Inhuman, 2 EP) Stranger lets an attacker's blow past his defenses and binds them in a net of his own flesh, tightening his skin and muscles around their weapon or arm. When an opponent inflicts Damage against him with a hand-to-hand attack he can activate this power in order to immediately Seize Control of them by grappling or entangling them with his body. In addition, so long as your highest defensive die result is higher than their lower offensive die result (counting things like Knacks or powers for both) he inflicts 1 Damage to them in addition to Seizing Control.
    Inexorable Sarcophagus - (Awakened, 1 EP) Stranger tightens his grip on a bound enemy, breaking bones and piercing them with ceramic spines. When Stranger makes an attack against a target he's currently Seizing Control of and succeeds, he can also compare his lower die result (with bonuses) to the opponent's lower die result as a second attack.
    Exoskeletal Symbiosis - (Inhuman, 2 Ongoing EP) Stranger envelops a willing ally or Extra with his body, sealing them in a layer of his own malleable flesh. Losing his own actions, he becomes an External Trait for the host character, granting them speed, durability and disguise ability with a rank based on his Syndrome. In addition, Stranger can share any remaining EP with his host, and any incoming damage can be divided between the two as wished.
    Living Weapon - (Inhuman, 3 EP+) Stranger drops his human facade and briefly snaps into a terrifying creature of bone and and lashing tendons for an overwhelming strike. Combo of Might, Excellence, and Flawless.
[Loises]
    1 - Scott Davis (Rivalry/Appreciation) Scott is a real jerk. He constantly belittles Nick, egging him on whenever they meet eachother in competition and insulting his form when he wins. They've also shared a couple of beers, told stories, and had a couple of fist fights. He's Stranger's best friend. He can tell Scott pushes Nick because he's jealous and insecure, but his actions also push Nick to be a better athlete and a better 'person'. Whatever his many (many) flaws, Scott is one of Stranger's strongest ties to humanity. He's careful not to reveal anything in front of him - if Scott knew Nick was holding back, it would crush him.
    2 - Manuscript (Ironic Enjoyment/Insecurity) Stranger has been working on a novel for years now, typing it up in public on an old fashioned typewriter. He enjoys the affectation (and the hidden sneers it provokes when he brings it to a coffee shop). He's trying to write a love story, and it's not going well. Reading through from his earliest drafts to now, he can see that progressively something is being... lost. His characters seem flat, the love story seems false and cynical. He's sure that it's just writer's block, though. He keeps working.
    3 - The UGN (Appreciation/Existential Terror) The UGN took Stranger in when he was young and taught him how to control his powers, how to fight, and how to survive. He owes them everything, and he is more than happy to follow their orders. He no longer concerns himself about the fate of those he captures or neutralizes, but deep inside him is the notion that one day he'll become a liability and they'll send someone out for him. The idea of confinement is... distressing to him. He will not let himself think about it too much.
[Miscellaneous]
(Hanuman in his case has more to do with his ability to move with peerless grace and speed rather than sound manipulation (for the moment, anyhow). Exile is about shapeshifting and disguise - someplace between Mr. Fantastic and The Thing (the movie, not the Thing in the Fantastic Four, which is super confusing in this context!). When he uses it for disguise, he usually doesn't copy someone's appearance, he just changes into someone. He can blend into a crowd easily, but couldn't change himself to look like the president, for instance. In fights, he likes to get up close and personal, striking multiple times from unexpected and uncomfortable angles, and then sinking back into a crowd - push come to shove, he's not terribly concerned about collateral damage.)

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 29, 2016

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Overall I'd say you've got it right on. Just a couple of things to mention:

*Experimentation seems a bit vague. Could you give me a few examples of what you're thinking of here?

*Strange Organs is probably fine, depending on what it is your thinking of having there. Something like a backup pair of lungs to hold extra air, a few kidneys for toxins or an alternate circulatory system to play dead really well is all fine. Something like an acid sack or a set of heat sensing organs and the like would be stepping a bit too much into Chimera or Solaris territory.

*Since Complete Therianthropy is kind of Chimera's signature power I'd hesitate to allow it to be completely copied by another Syndrome. Lets say either the cost goes up to 3 Ongoing EP or the bonus from the Power is reduced to +1d4. Sound good?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

oriongates posted:

Overall I'd say you've got it right on. Just a couple of things to mention:

*Experimentation seems a bit vague. Could you give me a few examples of what you're thinking of here?

*Strange Organs is probably fine, depending on what it is your thinking of having there. Something like a backup pair of lungs to hold extra air, a few kidneys for toxins or an alternate circulatory system to play dead really well is all fine. Something like an acid sack or a set of heat sensing organs and the like would be stepping a bit too much into Chimera or Solaris territory.

*Since Complete Therianthropy is kind of Chimera's signature power I'd hesitate to allow it to be completely copied by another Syndrome. Lets say either the cost goes up to 3 Ongoing EP or the bonus from the Power is reduced to +1d4. Sound good?

* Not sure! I panicked with the 1d10 one because it's the big one. Something to the tune of him pushing his boundaries and going more and more inhuman with his powers. I'm open to suggestions, even something completely different.

* Yep, exactly that - more defensive and tricky than hidden weapons. Stabbed through the heart, except woops, his heart isn't there, he's merged it and his lungs into a new organ to leave room for a second stomach to digest ceramics. That kinda biz.

* Sure, I'm fine with the bonus reduction. Or something completely different, even - most important to me is that he has an alternate form for when poo poo goes down. I'm open to other mechanical suggestions that convey that - still learning the system.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Given that a central concept is a spy, then making your d10 trait related to intelligence work, stealth, etc. might be a good idea. Heck "Spy" works just fine as a Trait. Just remember (like the example character) it's not a catch-all for everything ever seen in a spy movie.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

oriongates posted:

Given that a central concept is a spy, then making your d10 trait related to intelligence work, stealth, etc. might be a good idea. Heck "Spy" works just fine as a Trait. Just remember (like the example character) it's not a catch-all for everything ever seen in a spy movie.

Alright - I'll narrow it down to be more specific and call it '"Infiltrator". Covers his stealth and breaking and entering and disguise and whatnot.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Sure okay, I'll bite. Wouldn't want DK to have to play all alone. :v:

Name: The Crimson King (Real name: Antonius Evered)
Concept: Battlefield control TO THE MAX
Syndrome Type(s): Orcus, Bram Stoker
Blood Type: B-

[0 XP] [Corruption] 32

Background Info:

First Impressions: Sandy blonde, blue eyes. Hair fairly short, cut stylishly. A bit chubby, but groomed and clothed immaculately enough to mostly cover for it.

Work: The black sheep of a respected, or at least very rich foreign family line, Antonius is a NEET that has basically amounted to nothing in life. His family did push him into a cadet school since he had shown an interest in strategy, but while he did extremely well, almost prodigiously, on the theoretical side of things, Antonius was just too far from an army man personality wise, and dropped out. Growing tired of his apparent sloth and listlessness, the family eventually bought a nice mansion in the States/Japan (wherever we decide we are) for Antonius on the grounds that if he was going to be worthless, at least he could be worthless somewhere else. Thus out of sight and out of mind, the underachiever of the lineage could be largely forgotten about. Antonius leads a hedonic lifestyle of pointless and idle pleasures, mostly spending his time hanging around in his opulent home and purchasing overcosted vanity trinkets. Occasionally goes to town and splurges.

Cover: Antonius works for the UGN in a backline support and command role during field operations. His ability to mold the field of battle to his whims and create bloodbeasts to fill in the lines has proved invaluable during many missions. Why would Antonius even be with the UGN? Well, fancying himself a 'strategist' and 'peerless tactician', the leading position granted to him strokes his ego. Also, they let him wear a kickass red robe that hides the upper parts of his face in shade, making him totally feel like a wizard.

Awakening: During a televised, longform interview with his parents, his father made a point of not acknowledging his existence, even when the focus was on the family itself. Antonius threw a bit of a tantrum. He even cried a bit. Then the walls also cried a bit. A bit of blood, that is. And maybe not even a bit, might have been quite a lot actually. It was all very creepy, suffice it to say.

Traits:

[d10]: Strategist: If Antonius has all the pieces he needs in play, he is quite capable of making a move for the checkmate.
[d8]: Syndrome: Bram Stoker and Orcus. Make pawns out of blood and rewrite the playing board. What's not to like?
[d8]: Area Awareness: Being in touch with his domain, Antonius has a very good idea of what's going on in a fairly large area, and is very hard to catch unawares as a result. Also useful for intel gathering.
[d6]: Lots of Disposable Income: Having a lot of money available is always helpful.
[d6]: Evered Legacy: Largely ignored by his family though he may be, the Evered name still has considerable pull in many circles.
[d6]: Imperious: Antonius likes a bit of pomp, and seeing him elevated on a pillar or other such edifice spouting pretentious dialogue can actually be fairly intimidating for the opposition if they are already in a bad spot. His blowhard bravado can also instill confidence in allies.
[d6]: Combat Training: While Antonius did not do very well on the physical side of things in Cadet School, he did manage to pick up some things. His handle on them has substantially improved after his awakening.

Style: All According to Keikaku: Antonius is a fairly smug individual, and has a tendency to assume a particularly pompous swagger if he thinks he has some hidden ace, that he is pulling the strings or that things are just generally going to plan.

Signature Powers: Line of Pawns - (Inhuman, 1+ Ongoing EP): Just a renamed version of crimson horde. Make some troops. [Construct a swarm of minions, treated as Troops with a rating equal to your Syndrome Trait. The power creates 5 servants and the number doubles for every additional ongoing EP invested in the power. So long as your Troops are not completely wiped out they are renewed to full force at the start of your turn. These Troops follow your mental commands and can be split into smaller “units” to carry out separate tasks with no penalty and without taking an action on your part.]

Loises
1 - Miguel (Snark/Trust): Miguel is the long suffering butler of Antonius' mansion, trying to motivate his slothful master into any sort of action, usually via means of covert snark, and usually without much success. Antonius likes to snark right back of course, often pointing out that he does not really need a manservant since he could just make one, or heck, just make the rooms broom themselves. Such dialogue naturally implies that Miguel knows of Antonius' awakening, which he does. He is the only non-UGN affiliated non-powered person that does, in fact, at least as far as Antonius is aware. Despite this, Miguel has never displayed any actual insubordination, or any disdain at all at Antonius' powers. For these reasons, Antonius seems to know somewhere deep down that Miguel will always be there for his support should he need any, despite all the ribbing wordplay.

2 - The Family (Anger/Determination): Antonius does not have much good to say about his family (the fact that they bought him an entire mansion just to keep him out of sight nonwithstanding), feeling that their reaction to his slight lack of 'having ever done anything worthwhile in his entire life' has been blown out of proportion. But even though he scoffs at them and discounts them, some primal desire to prove them wrong is a strong subconscious motivator for Antonius, at least occasionally.

3 - The UGM (Joy/Insecurity): Antonius enjoys his work for the UGM a good bit, feeling it is a nice break from his usual, slovenly way of life. Of course, while he likes to paint his affiliation as a mere pastime, the actual driving force for his contribution is his insecurity in his personal worth, and a deep desire to be considered useful and important by at least someone or something.

Miscellaneous Info: Okay, so, Antonius is supposed to be a battlefield control/support type of character. Hang around in the back, move around my pieces, gloat about activated trap cards etc.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 27, 2016

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Theantero posted:

[d8]: Bram Stoker traits: Make pawns out of blood. What's not to like?
[d8]: Orcus traits: Easier to win if you can overwrite the playing board.

I think you only use one Trait for Syndrome regardless of how many Syndromes you have - which means you get another d8 Trait. Alternately, I get one less!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

dog kisser posted:

I think you only use one Trait for Syndrome regardless of how many Syndromes you have - which means you get another d8 Trait. Alternately, I get one less!

Oh so it is. I misread the rules. Will fix it right quick.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Just so. Character definitely looks good.

By the way, any opinion on whether or not to go US or Japanese? The differences will, of course, be largely superficial: you're superhumans working on behalf of a world-spanning conspiracy so no one's got to worry too much about the little stuff like firearms, international jurisdiction or civil rights.

Also, given that this is a playtest, any questions or anything jumping out as needing clarification?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I think Japanese, if nothing else because its traditional, but I'm game with anything. No questions on anything yet, but I'm certain that'll change once I try to actually do anything!

edit: Wait, no, I did have a question. I think I might change my Signature Power - I don't think War Form needs to be formalized, he can just cosmetically change shape without having to worry about making it a power. What I WOULD like is some kind of powerful response to attack - something with a trigger of him taking damage to cause him to retaliate aggressively, maybe even taking some corruption by doing so. Any idea for the mechanics of it?

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 25, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I'm fine with either as well.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Sure okay, I'll bite. Wouldn't want DK & Theantero to have to play all alone. :v:

Either setting is fine with me.

Name: Blood Bath (Bohn Brel)
Concept: I am the Battlefield
Syndrome Type(s): Bram Stoker, Morpheus
Blood Type: O

XP: 2
[0 XP] [Corruption] 35

Background Info:

First Impressions: Tall, malnourished looking guy. He's thin enough to have a visible ribcage when undressed. He's look like your typical drug addict, but doesn't stand out much otherwise. He wears dark colored long sleeve and jeans to covers those bony limbs.
Work: He sells his blood/plasma to the local clinic since he could provide a lot and change it to any blood type. Few hours of this per week and he has already racked up a small fortune.

Cover: Bohn is a freelancer for UGN in exchange for hunting down the dangerous criminal group that's responsible for his awakening. He will do anything to have his revenge.

Awakening: Bohn's family was kidnapped by local criminal group. His private investigation to the kidnapped lead to him being tied onto the track of an underground train railway. When the first train ran over his body and spliced his body in half, the blood on his body forcefully reattached him back together. However, due to the darkness of the railroad, it took several hours before someone even notice the bloody mess on a section of the rail. He has been hit 37 times by numerous train during this horrific incident. The trauma not only awakened his ability, but strengthen it as the power struggles to keep Bohn alive.

Traits:

[d10]: Hematology M.D. : After experienced in controlling the blood, Bohn has gain a strong understanding of the fluid dynamics of blood flow. He later uses his newly gained wealth to fund his own study in blood.
[d12]: Hematology PHD. : Finally, Bohn gotten all official licenses for becoming a doctor and blood scientist.

[d10]: Syndrome: Bram Stoker, Morpheus. Turn a whole room/building into blood. Turn self into blood. Merge. You now fight me, the bloody battlefield.
[d8]: Strong Will You can torture Bohn, but nothing gonna top getting ran over by trains for 37 times. Strong gory scene won't make him bats an eye at all.
[d6]: Fast Earner: Selling blood by the gallons.
[d6]: Not standing out: Bohn dislike attentions and prefer to blend in with the norm.
[d6]: UGN Combat Training: Received combat training from UGN.
[d6]: Blood Scent: Due to constant surrounding and covered by blood, Bohn's body usually have a strong scent of blood. Normally, this isn't a problem for the human nose, but it does trigger other human's primal instinct of danger or the sense of caring for the wounded depends on the individual. Animal would generally stays away from Bohn because the scent of blood is way too strong and dense to be mistaken for a walking scene of massacre.

Style: One with the Blood: The sight of blood greatly relief Bohn. For he know that he can't die in their presence. This make him fearless and calm in any bloody situation and submersing himself in blood is a therapeutic/vacation-like experience for him.

Signature Powers: Blood Fort - (Inhuman, 2+ Ongoing EP): Turn surrounding and self into blood. Merge into a mobile pool of blood that can overwhelm the enemy.

Loises
1 - Train Trauma (Fear) (Courage): A little phobia for train is a good way to remind Bohn that there's something scarier in the world, but knowing that such a scary thing can't kill him will always reassure him of any danger.
2 - Lost Family (Anger/Hope): Bohn's family is still missing after three years, but he somehow knew they are still alive. His blood in him keep telling him they are alive and their kidnapper will paid for the price of his wrath.

3 - My Blood(Reassurance/Unnerve): Although the sight of blood calm Bohn's down. The realization of the corruption of the virus greatly worries him.

4 - Loise: Fnord (Conspiracy/ Revelation)
Why is Bohn’s family a bunch of Gjuam in an American Base? Why is everyone acting normally to such a revelation? Did they KNOW something about his family that Bohn don’t? Is there something special about his family!? Can he be involved in a conspiracy that stretches all the way longer than he can imagine? Longer than… A train!?

Note: Repurchase from Lost Family Loise.

5 - Loise: Hippocratic Oath (Standard/Malpractice)
An oath that Bohn has sworn when he become a real doctor. An ethical oath that stretches back to the day of ancient Greek where doctors starts to give a drat about other people. He shall do no harm... As a doctor.

Note: Related to Trait upgrade.

6 - Loise: Nuremberg Code (Ethic/Crime)
The Nuremberg Code is a set of research ethics principles for human experimentation set as a result of the Subsequent Nuremberg Trials at the end of the Second World War. Bohn has sworn to this code when he becomes full fledges Hematology scientist (and doctor) and he do not tolerate unethical human experiments… Without a very good reason

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 11, 2016

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

dog kisser posted:

I think Japanese, if nothing else because its traditional, but I'm game with anything. No questions on anything yet, but I'm certain that'll change once I try to actually do anything!

edit: Wait, no, I did have a question. I think I might change my Signature Power - I don't think War Form needs to be formalized, he can just cosmetically change shape without having to worry about making it a power. What I WOULD like is some kind of powerful response to attack - something with a trigger of him taking damage to cause him to retaliate aggressively, maybe even taking some corruption by doing so. Any idea for the mechanics of it?

Hmm...There's a few ways it could be done. I try to avoid Powers that straight up add extra attack rolls or the like, both from a design standpoint but also because it can be tough in PBP games.

The simplest would be just a combo of Counterattack with Might, Excellence and/or Flawless. Technically it assumes a successful defensive roll, however by using Overdrive options you can take damage for extra EP (in this case it could be interpreted as allowing a hit in order to hit back harder), which would also allow you to effectively use the combo at a lower Power Level.

Here's some other ideas based on Hanuman/Exile powers.

Absorption: (Inhuman, 2 EP)
By letting an attacker's blow past your defenses you can catch them in a net of your own flesh, tightening your skin and muscles around their weapon or arm. When an opponent inflicts Damage against you with a hand-to-hand attack you can activate this power in order to immediately Seize Control of them by grappling or entangling them with your body. In addition, so long as your highest defensive die result is higher than their lower offensive die result (counting things like Knacks or powers for both) then you inflict 1 Damage to them in addition to Seizing Control.

Ringing Bell (Inhuman, 2 EP)
You absorb the impact of your opponent's attack, magnify it and release it as a pulse of intense sonic vibration. When used as part of a defensive roll you can transform your opponent's attack into a blast attacking everyone [Nearby] (often including the original attacker). This attack uses the same final roll result as the opponent's attack.

Violent Division (Inhuman, Ongoing 1 EP)
Treating your body like clay, your severed limbs continue to fight while you simply grow new ones. While this Power is active every attack against you (whether or not it inflicts damage) tears off a limb or chunk of flesh, which grows crude miniature limbs and continues to fight for you. Each limb functions as a Troop of your Power Level under your control with the same die-type as your Syndrome trait. If you actually take damage from an opponent's attack then you release two limb-spawn (this amount doubles for each point of damage suffered). You can also spend your action while the Power is active harmlessly popping off and regrowing flesh to produce two limb-spawn.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

oriongates posted:

Absorption: (Inhuman, 2 EP)
By letting an attacker's blow past your defenses you can catch them in a net of your own flesh, tightening your skin and muscles around their weapon or arm. When an opponent inflicts Damage against you with a hand-to-hand attack you can activate this power in order to immediately Seize Control of them by grappling or entangling them with your body. In addition, so long as your highest defensive die result is higher than their lower offensive die result (counting things like Knacks or powers for both) then you inflict 1 Damage to them in addition to Seizing Control.

I like this one - seems pretty close to what I was looking for and has good flavor to it.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Nyaa posted:

Sure okay, I'll bite. Wouldn't want DK & Theantero to have to play all alone. :v:

Excellent, the more peer pressure the better.

Cool character, looks good. Just a couple things.

*I assume Hematology was meant to be your d10 Trait?

*I notice there's not any kind of direct physically offensive or defensive traits. They aren't strictly required and if your plan is to go with a mostly out-of-combat theme that's cool...but there are going to be some pretty big fights. You can use the Syndrome Boost or Projection Powers to attack directly with your syndrome trait (slash someone with a blood blade, fire crystal spears, etc) but it'll be fairly EP-hungry and you won't be able to take advantage of other Powers at the same time without a combo.

*As far as the mechanics for the blood fort power, I figure most of it will simply be the advantage of being made out of liquid, and the option to use your Syndrome Trait for free for any defensive rolls where being a big pool of liquid would be helpful (so, good against being cut, stabbed, punched, shot...not so good against electrocution or similar attacks). Sound good?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

oriongates posted:

*I assume Hematology was meant to be your d10 Trait?
Yes. I figure d10 = master degree and d12 for doctoral would make sense.

quote:

I notice there's not any kind of direct physically offensive or defensive traits.
I am thinking of learning blood servant later and let it handle the physical situation, but i probably can do well with guns... Or maybe a hose that i can power spray my bullet blood...

quote:

so, good against being cut, stabbed, punched, shot...not so good against electrocution or similar attacks). Sound good?
I also think it could be use offensively if i am big enough to tsunami slam and drown people. It would be useful to combo with all kind of physical range power and apply to everyone in my blood fort at the same time.

I am still looking up on the conductivity of blood, so far it seem certain components, fluid motion, and composition of the blood can affect it. My study of hermatology and morphous power might make it possible to create some resistance to electricution.

I also looked up on the combustibilty of blood, and it seem you can set blood on fire without some accelerant. The blood would simply evaporate. Not sure how that would apply on my massive pool form.

Oh, and apparently some dry beef blood can be explosive, so i guess i could create blood granade instead of gun. I would take a throwing skill in that case.

Blood Science! :science:

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Nyaa posted:

Yes. I figure d10 = master degree and d12 for doctoral would make sense.

d12 would be more like "world's foremost expert" by a hefty margin. d10 probably makes you the doctor house of blood. Given that the theme is pretty narrow I'd also say it probably makes you a Dexter-ish blood-spatter expert and probably a competent medical doctor in general.

quote:

I am thinking of learning blood servant later and let it handle the physical situation, but i probably can do well with guns... Or maybe a hose that i can power spray my bullet blood...

Your Morpheous powers allow you to simply create firearms and the like easily, but without a relevant Trait you'll still be rolling only d4's when using them.

quote:

I also think it could be use offensively if i am big enough to tsunami slam and drown people. It would be useful to combo with all kind of physical range power and apply to everyone in my blood fort at the same time.

If it lets you use your Syndrome powers for both defense and offense it should probably cost 2 Ongoing EP rather than just 1.

quote:

I am still looking up on the conductivity of blood, so far it seem certain components, fluid motion, and composition of the blood can affect it. My study of hermatology and morphous power might make it possible to create some resistance to electricution.

I also looked up on the combustibilty of blood, and it seem you can set blood on fire without some accelerant. The blood would simply evaporate. Not sure how that would apply on my massive pool form.

Oh, and apparently some dry beef blood can be explosive, so i guess i could create blood granade instead of gun. I would take a throwing skill in that case.

Blood Science! :science:

If the cost is increasing to 2 ongoing EP then I'd say just using the Trait for any defense should be fine while its in effect. What you can't resist or ignore you could flow around or separate.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Ok, changed to 2ep and changed a d6 to UGN combat training.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

[Name] Back Alley (Lucas Whitfield)
[Concept] Stylish, Club Owner, Shadows
[Syndrome] Angel Halo [Blood Type] O+ [Age] 30

[0 XP] [Corruption] 25

[Background Info]
[First Impressions]
Back Alley is a handsome man of average height and build, with dark hair and eyes. He is almost always dressed and groomed fashionably, and looks good even when he is not. Lucas is also known for his slightly flamboyant manner, which he takes up a notch when he is 'at work'. While on jobs for the UGN, he is careful to always keep his head blacked out or covered by an illusion.
[Work]
When he isn't working for the UGN, Lucas is the co-owner and operator of the hip downtown nightclub Empyreal. Most of the work Lucas does at the club is PR and stuff on the business side of things, but he has been known to break up a fight from time to time.
[Cover]
The UGN pretty much owns Back Alley due to the circumstances surrounding his awakening, but are usually happy to let him do his own thing and act as an informant. When all it takes is an Overd having a bad day or someone awakening, it's important to keep tabs on people. However, the UGN also occasionally calls him in to do more 'hands on' type work.
[Awakening]
Lucas does not remember his awakening clearly, as it happened during a massive bender. UGN reports suggest that someone Lucas was with overdosed, someone called the authorities after seeing strange lights from the apartment window, and a UGN crisis team was dispatched. Thankfully, Lucas was able to be talked down and the incident more or less covered up on the condition that Lucas work for the UGN. To this day, Back Alley has not touched any kind of drugs or alcohol.

[Traits]
[d10] Pure Breed (Angel Halo) : While Back Alley is able to control both light and darkness, he seems especially adept at the latter.
[d10] Brawling : "I used to get in a lot of fights. Recent events have made it a good idea to get back in practice."
[d8] Style: "Doesn't matter what I'm wearing or what I'm doing. I always look good."
[d6] Really Cool Sports Car : "Gift from a wealthy patron. Maybe if you're lucky, I'll take you for a ride."
[d6] Connections (Nightclub) : "You meet all types of interesting people doing what I do."
[d6] De-escalation : "You can save everyone a lot of trouble and bruises if you can stop a fight before it starts."
[d6] Dance : Because nothing pisses someone off like dancing out of the way of an attack.

[Style]
From the Shadows : In his new job, Back Alley has found he works best when he is able to take people by surprise. If someone is completely unaware of Back Alley's presence, he gains an advantage on them.

[Signature Powers]
Shadowmeld - (Inhuman, 2 ongoing EP) A reskinned Invisibility. Back Alley steps into shadow, the darkness wrapping around him and obscuring him from sight. [Turn invisible, add both Trait dice together for stealth rolls, can't be used while fighting.]

Illusory Beatdown - (Inhuman, 2+ EP) You create 3 illusionary duplicates as part of an attack or defense and your opponent must choose (randomly rolled assuming they lack some ability to pierce the illusion) which of your duplicates is real. If the opponent picks correctly the power provides no benefit, if they choose incorrectly you can double your roll. Each additional EP gives you an extra 2 duplicates. Some attacks (such as Detonation) or defenses (force fields or similar) may simply ignore this.

Placeholder Power

[Loises]

1 - Jared Norris (Friendship/Guilt) : Jared is the other co-owner and operator of Empyreal, as well as Lucas's college buddy. Jared is beginning to suspect that something's going on with Lucas, as his work for the UGN usually causes him to miss work at the club. Lucas feels pretty bad about making his friend pick up his slack, but the stuff with UGN is non-negotiable.

2 - Empyreal (Pride/Worry) : Empyreal (pronounced Imperial) is a hip and successful nightclub in the downtown area. Pretty much everyone is allowed in as long as they do not cause trouble. Lucas takes great pride in his nightclub, but worries that he is neglecting it. He also worries that an incident similar to his will happen there.

3 - Sobriety Pledge (Determination/Temptation) Ever since his incident, Lucas has abstained from drugs and alcohol, not wanting to lose control like that ever again. Still, he sometimes gets the urges.

[Miscellaneous]
I am open to suggestions for something cooler in the Signature Powers department.

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 5, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Here is another one of my character concepts (if the GM decides to pick me, he can choose whichever app of mine he likes best and feels would make for the best party comp). Mostly I made it because I like the chargen of this game, and also because I am a bit bored atm.

Name: Wraithblade (Real name: William Jones)
Concept: Stoic swordsman and creepy suddenly-appears-behind-you-or-was-there-all-along kind of person. DPS/dodge tank, with an aesthetic focus on few, surgical and calculated movements instead of jittery jumping around (as in, instead of really actively dodging, William mostly intuits where the attacks would hit and simply chooses not to be there when they happen).
Syndrome Type(s): Neumann, Balor
Blood Type: A+

[0 XP] [Corruption] 38

Background Info:

First Impressions: Grey haired and well muscled, if not very bulky man, William seems incapable of any other expression than sternly and intently staring with his piercing, steel blue eyes at whatever object/person he is currently fixated on. Words are used sparingly. Prefers semi-formal wear when not on missions. During missions, wears a flat grey outfit fashioned in the likeness of samurai clothing (imagine all the non-armor parts that this dude has, discounting the cap).

Work: William is not a very social person, and prefers not to mingle with normals. In fact, he lives in UGM quarters, rarely leaving the secured premises unless necessary or unless on a mission. If he has to leave, he usually uses a fake name and fake documentation. Thus, he has little 'official' presence in the outside World, and few contacts to it. On his off-time, he usually helps UGM Intelligence in an information processing and data interpretation role since his Neumann nature gifts him with large amounts of -even if completely subconscious and thus largely intuitive- brainpower.

Cover: William was one of the earliest victims of the Renegade virus, and thus one of the first UGM agents. A veritable attack dog, William is usually pointed at something that needs killing and sent on his way. William cares not about his targets, be they Gjaum, Rogue Overeds or overtly nosy normals. All are equally disposed off.

Awakening: When in his early teens, William was ambushed as a part of a gang initiation, the stressful situation Awakening him with a snap. And so, instead of getting brutally beaten, William merely calmly sidestepped, reappropriated the switchblade of his attacker, and then proceeded to slit the throats of all the gang members in less than a dozen steps and mere five perfect, precise slashes. As he was slowly choking the life out of the leader, he manifested his first evil eye, the hysterical eye-witness reports of which eventually lead the UGM to him.

Traits:

[d10]: Blademaster: You will have great trouble finding someone more skilled with a sword than William, mainly because he always seems to know the opponent's blows in advance, and consistently places his own where they hurt most.
[d8]: Syndrome: Neumann and Balor
[d8]: Tchernobog: William's claim to fame, 'Tchernobog' or 'the voidblade' as it is known to the engineering staff who created it, is a strange piece of UGM technology, completely dull by itself (useful, since it can often be claimed to be a mere fake prop-katana). However, it acts as a focus, allowing William to integrate one of his evil eyes into it, in which case the blade turns as black as the eyes themselves. In this state, the things it cannot cut are few indeed.
[d6]: Aetherstep: William seems to never quicken his pace, always walking with a slow, deliberate gait. Nevertheless, he seems to get to places fast, and never be where you aimed even though by every indication he should be excessively easy to lead.
[d6]: Ruthless Reputation: William has been with the UGM for a long time now, and has been used in enough opps and with enough success that his presence can unnerve those enemies in the know. Useless against raving Gjaum and those enemies who don't know of the UGM and its activities, naturally.
[d6]: Inexorable: Through rain or sleet, bullet or blade, William will make his way towards his target.
[d6]: Perfect Intuition: William's Neumann traits are largely subcoscious, but they are still there, chugging on. William usually has a very good gut feel of what people's plans are, or where they have gone, or other such things, based on the data he is presented or has inadvertently picked up.

Style: Calm, Deliberate and Determined: William's MO is basically just walking towards his target with this even gait, getting inexorably closer and closer via time-space fuckery and then ganking them.

Knacks:
Executioner: (Blademaster) As long as William is engaging his UGM indicated target, or something directly in his way to that target that can not be ignored, he gets this bonus.
Stay On Target: (Aetherstep) As long as William is making his way directly towards his target, he gets this bonus.

Loises
1 - Tchernobog (Attachment/Obsession): It is clear to all, even William himself how fond he is of his blade. It was made specifically for him by the UGM, he has had it since almost the very beginning. Maintaining and polishing it are his favourite ways to unwind, and something he routinely returns to in order to meditate. However, the depths of his attachment are much deeper than are readily apparent: Most people know William as 'that creepy guy with the crazy sword', and during the years William has come to view himself in a similar (if somewhat more forgiving to his mannerisms) way. The Sword has become a very integral part of his identity, and his ardent opposition towards ever parting with it has caused some headache during missions. And pray tell what he would do if it was actually destroyed...

2 - Alice (Distaste/Joy): Alice is William's primary handler, his radio contact during missions, and has been for around seven years now. She is a fairly nice and polite girl, and is adamant in treating William like a long time friend. She is the one person William has regular, normal human interaction with any regularity. And while William has expressed his opposition to being bothered during missions, he does still deep down enjoy being treated like a normal human being, even if it is just by a single person.

3 - The UGM (Purpose/Resentment): William's life has been dominated by UGM dictate since he joined. And while he does believe in their cause, and while he is convinced of the nobility of the purpose he's fulfilling, and while he follows their orders to the letter, it is still hard for him to shake the lingering feeling that they think of him as nothing but a weapon to be pointed, instead of a respected fellow member of the organization.

Miscellaneous Info: Right. William is basically UGM's executioner that they keep in a closet somewhere, occasionally sent to take heads. He is Balor more in the space-warping side of things, since it is integral for his whole 'slowly walking ever closer to the target, even if the target is running away' schtick. Neumann 'superbrain' abilities are all expressly subconscious and intuitive, because I am not willing to even try and roleplay someone who is 'basically the smartest man in the World'. Neumann is thus more about getting a gut feeling based on gathered clues instead of consciously solving problems, and also about doing that whole 'dodging via anticipating attack vectors' thing.

Other important thing is the Tchernobog, since it is basically his most defining trait, and I'd like to sort it out. It is an 'internal' trait, in that it is powered by William himself, but it requires a very conspicuous 'external' focus, hopefully giving the 'deadly weapons' benefit. I went with this instead of an actual sword, because while actual swords drop in relevance extremely quickly when we power up, a sword that is just an extension of William's power should scale with him. Also, it is a literal BLACK HOLE KATANA MADE OF SPACETIME FOLDED OVER ONE MILLION TIMES FILTHY GAIJIN GO HOME and how cool is that?

Theantero fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 28, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Name: As her name has been stricken from all records, she is sometimes ironically referred to as 'Stricken' – A name that also goes well with her condition.
Concept: Worlds Most Dangerous Girl / Walking Disaster Zone.
Syndrome Type(s): Morpheus/Balor
Blood Type: O-

XP: 0
Corruption: This starts at 30% plus 1d10%. (Going by the concept alone this should probably just be 40% outright, but I'll roll for it if i have to!)

Background Info:
First Impressions:
An uncouth, white-haired youth with lousy posture; she moves by telekinetically lifting her body five feet of the ground in an eerie, jogging-pace hover.
She is the very definition of pale, with white skin, shoulder-length white hair and bright, light blue to grey eyes.
Treats material possessions with the same disdain as most intra-personal relationships, having lost everything several times over.
Cold, but cordial to those that do not threaten UGNs motives, or her perceived notion of World Peace.

Work:
The UGN keep her on retainer for two reasons. One; her unparalleled destructive power and Two; her unparalleled destructive power.
This is the old saying 'keep your friends close but your enemies closer' hard at work. She is called whenever she is required, and performs her duties without complaint.

Cover:
Most of her life prior to working with the UGN is unknown, if only because most of the people she knew back then are dead.
The UGN try to keep news of her existence to a minimum as the public would probably riot if they ever found out about the extent of her powers, and the way they are used.

Awakening:
An orphan from early age, she had fallen in with a gang of equally lost children and taken up a life of petty vandalism and thievery.
All that came to an end when the gang was busted up by riot police, and the riot police were busted up by her nascent powers.
The destructive nature of her awakening and of her powers in general have left her on the very edge of turning; something only kept at bay by her single-minded focus on the tasks at hand and a dedicated team of UGN-trained medical professionals and psychologists.

Traits:
[d10]: Annihilation Field: The solution to and cause of all of her lives problems.
A constant telekinetic aura about two inches away from her body that destroys everything and anything it touches. With some effort she can manipulate it, move it around or send it away, but even when she doesn't it's there; protecting her from harm, harming everything around her.
[d8]: Syndrome: Manifests both Morpheus and Balor traits.
[d8]: Undaunted Advance: Confident in her invincibility, she will keep on pushing far beyond the limits of a normal person.
[d6]: (External) Field Manipulation Device:* Crafted by Branch Chief Belcry himself, this device functions as the swiss-army-scalpel attachment to her Bulldozer of a power. With it, she is able to mould her deadly energy to deliver precision strikes or (more likely its intent) to avoid friendly fire. With a bit of practice and some more tinkering, it might one day be used to manipulate other forms of energy as well.
[d6]: Jaded: Having seen so much death, not much can phase her anymore.
[d6]: Unnerving Presence: She can be pretty scary, yo.
[d6]: UGN Field Training: Having spent several years on field-duty, she has picked up a thing or two about Gjaum and the various ways that the UGN attempt to combat them.
[d6]: (External) Lifeline Sensor: The UGN constantly monitor her vitals and mental health through ingenious devices grafted onto her body.
This combined with an advanced two-way communicator allows them unparalleled observation, both passive and active, of any activity she may find herself in.
Using the Lifeline Sensor, the UGN can dispatch combat-drugs, medical information or even arrange for emergency evacuation to her exact location.
Suffice it to say they are not keen to lose one of their most valuable/unstable agents.

Style: Whilst Hovering Ominously
Knack: (Annihilation Field) Whilst surrounded.
Knack: (Unnerving Presence) vs. Normal Humans. (REALLY scary.)

Signature Power
"Orbital Reflection"* allows you to draw ranged attacks towards you and if you successfully defend, redirect them at their attacker. Inhuman level, Ongoing 1 EP draws in any [Nearby] ranged attacks aimed at allies so they target you instead.
A successful defense is treated as a counterattack (including attacks that target you). Each extra Ongoing EP increases the range by one step.

Loises
The UGN. (Trust/Existential Terror) She believes the UGN has her best interests at heart, and cooperates with them fully, but deep down she fears that they are the only thing that is keeping her from destroying the world.

UGN provided accommodations. (Comfort/Fear) Top of the line ultra-hard materials (recycled bi-daily) give her some semblance of a normal home. Somewhere she can relax between missions.Should anything happen to it, she would be forced onto the streets again, where her powers would certainly wreck havoc.

Music Player. (Joy/Sorrow) One of the few things in life she still gets any semblance of emotion from, she lives for melodious rhythms and discordant beats. At the same time, most of the emotions she has left are tinged a deep shade of depression.

Branch Chief Belcry (Shame/Senpai)*
The rising superstar of the UGN, Branch Chief Ra'id Belcry is everything an Overed could hope to aspire too.
Dashing, intelligent and kind, the Neumann was also one of the first people to ever show 'Stricken' any sort of human compassion, the first to see her for something other than the carrier of her accursed affliction.
Stricken is deeply ashamed that her actions at the Yakota Airbase Incident could have derailed his Perfect Plans and has resolved to fight even harder in the future, hoping that maybe if she works really hard at being a better person, perhaps she will one day be worthy of his attention.

Miscellaneous Info:
Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. When those situations occur, the UGN bring her out from storage and push her in the general direction of the issue until it is solved.
She is not so much a tank as a Killdozer; subtle isn't in her vocabulary.

---

The big question of course is; is my d10 trait even legal? I see the example traits are a mix of character knowledge, capabilities, physical irregularities, gadgets and 'magic' for a lack of better term,
but very few all out attack abilities (aside from an example of a super-sonic blade in the pdf, which I think means it might be?)

I tried to write it so that it feels 'broad' enough. It is destruction, yes, but it can be wielded like a scalpel or a sledgehammer, or I suppose like an orbital laser or an asteroid-impact at higher powerlevels.

--

*(Purchased after char-gen)

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 25, 2016

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Oooh, this system looks cool! I think I'll bring back a concept from an old DX game that the game struggled to represent a bit. Let's see if BAKFDG can make it work!

Name: Ra'id Belcry (Codename: Ex Machina)
Concept: Haunted UGN Branch Chief
Syndrome Type: Neumann (Pure)
Blood Type: AB+

XP: 0
Corruption: 36%.

Background Info:

First Impressions: While most Overeds have the luxury of looking like normal humans in civilian situations, Ra'id is not so lucky. A freak mutation on awakening discoloured his skin to a dull grey tint and blackened his eyes, though thankfully with no loss of vision, causing people to mistake him for a Renegade Being at first sight. The sheer strangeness of his appearance has kept him from ever enjoying a normal life, and his mannerisms reflect that - he is unfailingly stiff and formal, verbose and eloquent, and projects an aura of confident superiority that some interpret as cool disdain and arrogance, particularly as he styles himself as 'The Smartest Man Alive'. Ra'id is always polite, even in the face of obvious discomfort or aggression, but also lacking in human warmth, which he rarely displays. He is calm, logical and controlled. He always wear black clothes, to match the colour of his eyes, and is oft-accompanied by small robots of his own making.

Work: An UGN man through and through, Ra'id has had a blazing career, climbing up the ranks of the UGN with almost indecent haste - first as a field agent, then a senior agent, then an unit commander, and now, promoted to Branch Chief unwillingly after a disastrous operation was barely salvaged into a nominal UGN triumph. Though far too responsible to shirk his duties, he does not relish his new role, as it limits the amount of time he can allocate to his valuable, obssessive research.

Cover: Ever since the Zurich Incident that led to his latest promotion, Ra'id has tirelessly devoted himself to researching Renegade Virus treatments, specifically the possibility of reversing Gjaum transformations, driven by feelings of guilt over the loss of his adoptive brother, who succumbed to his more bestial impulses to ensure the success of the mission. He is in constant contact with several major UGN scientific luminaries, including his parents, Felicia and Ahmad, who continue to support him, their only biological son and remaining child. In addition, though he hides it well, Ra'id relishes training new UGN recruits, letting some of his facade of coldness slip as he oversees their progress.

Awakening: Ra'id was born an Overed, and thus the trauma of Awakening was something he was spared. Instead, his true trauma was never having the opportunity to live a normal life - though his parents have always been supportive of him and he has enjoyed a very happy family life. From an early age, he has worked for the UGN, and took to the field as soon as he was old enough to have experienced his first major growth spurt.

Traits:

[d10]: Syndrome: Neumann.
[d8]: Machine Minions: People are surprisingly unwilling to heed the suggestions of an inhuman-looking advisor. For this reason, Ra'id has taken to simply constructing his own allies, who will not stop at every step to question his decisions. Hidden underneath his clothes, Ra'id's robotic creations are well-suited to espionage and aiding their frail master in overcoming obstacles. Most of them are based on insects, for the record. (External)
[d8]: Foucault The Spider: Ra'id's most favourite creation is Foucault, a small, palm-sized spider armed with an electrolaser mounted on its back. Created many years ago, it's been the subject of several upgrades by Ra'id over the years, and stuck with him through thick and thin like a trusted pet. (External)
[d6]: Friends and Foes: Many people owe Ex Machina something - a favor, or some revenge. When the situation calls for it, he is perfectly willing to cash in on the connections he has made during his brief but intense career. (External)
[d6]: UGN Resources: As a branch chief, Ra'id has access to all the resources of the UGN...though given the nature of his controversial promotion and the mixed feelings on him, the international bureaucracy might take some time to get him what he wants. (External)
[d6]: Preparation and Foreknowledge: Taking Ra'id by surprise is no easy task. What he lacks in physical aptitude and ability to keep up with his Renegade peers in a direct contest, he makes up for with planning. He knows. He always knows. His well of knowledge is deep, and constantly growing larger.
[d6]: Powerful Presence: For good or ill, no one can ignore Ra'id when he steps into the room. Between his eloquence and appearance, he attracts attention and provokes a reaction.

Style: With electrical devices (2 BP).

Signature Powers:

The Smartest Man Alive (2 BP, 1 EP, Awakened): During your turn, or in a noncombat situation, before taking an action, you may ask the player of another character (such as the GM and an NPC) a question about their upcoming actions which must be answerable with a simple 'yes' or 'no'. Should they act against the answer they have given you, you may instantly put an Obstacle (or at the GM's discretion, a Hazard) in their way, with a rating one step below the rating of your Syndrome. You didn't think you could outwit the smartest man alive, did you?

Loises

Felicia Belcry, Mother (Conscious: Love, Subconscious: Annoyance): Ra'id's mother, who dearly loves him and whom he loves back. She always calls him and interests herself in his affairs, and though he sometimes is irked by the attention, he truly appreciates her unwavering trust in him. She is human, and not at all affected by the Renegade Virus. A researcher working for the UGN.

George "Hellhound" Wagner, Adopted Brother (Conscious: Shame, Subconscious: Affinity): Ra'id's adoptive brother, who was lost during the Zurich Incident. A Balor/Chimera Crossbreed and Renegade Being who could not be more different from him, George was prone to snap decisions, quick to take action, emotional and an overconfident troublemaker. Ra'id misses him terribly. His whereabouts are currently unknown.

Pandora, Enemy Gjaum Renegade Being (Conscious: Hatred, Unconscious: Curiosity/Respect): A legendary terrorist loosely associated with False Hearts, who was at the center of the Zurich Incident and was responsible for the transformation of Ra'id's brother, who sacrificed his humanity to stop her. Pandora was an Orcus/Solaris crossbreed, and extremely adept at using her talents to torment her enemies and drive them to fight each other. Using the disenssion spread across the ranks of Ra'id's allies, she succeeded in liberating the vault they were supposed to protect, and merged with the flower and memetic virus within, the Moonlight Queen. Though slain by a combination of Hellhound's powers and an orbital satellite blast (as well as many other attacks), the memory of Pandora's havoc wakes up Ra'id up in cold sweat from time to time. Was even that level of overkill sufficient to stop such a dangerous threat?

Transient People fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 28, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Just a note, I changed Antonius' 'Affable' trait to 'Evered Legacy', since I'm not perfectly set on where exactly he'd position on the affability/obnoxiousness spectrum in actual play, but his heritage ought to be useful in either case.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Hey, I have question about game balance. Why is it that the initial Bonus Point costs are so different from the later XP costs? For 4 BP, you can get 24 XP's worth of Knacks, but only 4 XP's worth of new loises, or 8 XP's worth of Powers.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Theantero posted:

Here is another one of my character concepts (if the GM decides to pick me, he can choose whichever app of mine he likes best and feels would make for the best party comp). Mostly I made it because I like the chargen of this game, and also because I am a bit bored atm.

Cool, let me know if you have a preference between the characters, personally I'm leaning a bit more towards William/Wraithblade as the current group isn't strong in the heavy-hitting department.

Overall, he looks good although I'll mention that Aetherstep and Uncanny Avoidance are close enough together that you could get away just making them a single Trait (in my mind Aetherstep more or less translates to "being fast without being in a hurry" and Uncanny Avoidance into "dodging without looking like you dodged"). That'd also free up a Trait for a swordfighting or similar skill which'll synergize powerfully with Tchernobog (remember Internal and External Traits can be combined)

As far as the One Step Ahead power. It's kind of an inverse of the No Escape example power, instead of the target finding it impossible to leave, you're just always there waiting for them. I'd say you have to be able to see the target when you first "tag" them with the Power and it won't actually allow you to approach them faster (so for instance, if you trigger this on a target who's [Very Far] away and they're running, they turn the corner at the start of your next turn and find you're on a rooftop [Far] away and then next turn you'll be [Nearby]), although I doubt that'll come up too much since since I'm sure that it'll largely be used outside of combat scenarios.

Price-wise I'd say 2 Ongoing seems right, the same as No Escape. It allows you to more or less invalidate attempts to hide or throw you off the trail and could even allow you to catch up to other teleporters. Main drawback would be speed: really fast targets could escape beyond the ability of your Power to follow them. Namely this would be Hanuman Overeds or (at lower power levels) someone who boards a fast enough vehicle).

quote:

Miscellaneous Info: Right. William is basically UGM's executioner that they keep in a closet somewhere, occasionally sent to take heads. He is Balor more in the space-warping side of things, since it is integral for his whole 'slowly walking ever closer to the target, even if the target is running away' schtick. Neumann 'superbrain' abilities are all expressly subconscious and intuitive, because I am not willing to even try and roleplay someone who is 'basically the smartest man in the World'. Neumann is thus more about getting a gut feeling based on gathered clues instead of consciously solving problems, and also about doing that whole 'dodging via anticipating attack vectors' thing.

Other important thing is the Tchernobog, since it is basically his most defining trait, and I'd like to sort it out. It is an 'internal' trait, in that it is powered by William himself, but it requires a very conspicuous 'external' focus, hopefully giving the 'deadly weapons' benefit. I went with this instead of an actual sword, because while actual swords drop in relevance extremely quickly when we power up, a sword that is just an extension of William's power should scale with him. Also, it is a literal BLACK HOLE KATANA MADE OF SPACETIME FOLDED OVER ONE MILLION TIMES FILTHY GAIJIN GO HOME and how cool is that?

Mechanically it would be an External Trait (since it's a physical object which could theoretically be taken away or forced to be left behind) and yeah it would get the benefit of Deadly Weapons for much the same reason. And yeah, External Traits are useful at any Power Level.

quote:

Hey, I have question about game balance. Why is it that the initial Bonus Point costs are so different from the later XP costs? For 4 BP, you can get 24 XP's worth of Knacks, but only 4 XP's worth of new loises, or 8 XP's worth of Powers.

Good catch. With Loises the extreme XP difference is intentional, since the "cost" of a Loise after character creation is meant to largely be the difficulty of actually establishing a new emotional connection with an NPC.

The rest definitely require some correction. I'll try to get the updated info up soon.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Name: As her name has been stricken from all records, she is sometimes ironically referred to as 'Stricken' – A name that also goes well with her condition.
Concept: Worlds Most Dangerous Girl / Walking Disaster Zone.
Syndrome Type(s): Morpheus/Balor
Blood Type: O-

Very cool. Given the scenario I have planned, "fighting fire with fire" may prove very apt. As far as the Corruption level goes, if you want to set it at 40% I won't stop you.

quote:

The big question of course is; is my d10 trait even legal? I see the example traits are a mix of character knowledge, capabilities, physical irregularities, gadgets and 'magic' for a lack of better term,
but very few all out attack abilities (aside from an example of a super-sonic blade in the pdf, which I think means it might be?)

I tried to write it so that it feels 'broad' enough. It is destruction, yes, but it can be wielded like a scalpel or a sledgehammer, or I suppose like an orbital laser or an asteroid-impact at higher powerlevels.

It's not illegal, but it may require some clarification. An annihilation field that can be used offensively and even defensively (by disintegrating or disrupting attacks) is fine with a few caveats...

The big thing is it can't be absolute. For instance, at Awakened Power Level things like a squad of soldiers or gangsters could still present an active threat (not much of one, but it exists) so being surrounded by an instant matter-annihilation field would be going to far. Likewise you won't be able to start eating through tank armor or blast doors until you reach Inhuman or higher power level. I think that's also the page you're on as well. So at Awakened you wouldn't want her hugging your puppy or touching your mint condition figurines but it won't be until the higher power levels that metal and concrete start turning to dust with ease and even then an appropriate attack of the right Power Level isn't going to get outright negated.

The second thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't give the benefits of "free" powers. So if an Exile or Chimera decides to try and rip into you they aren't going to pull back a bloody stump unless you actually activate the Counterattack power.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Transient People posted:

Oooh, this system looks cool! I think I'll bring back a concept from an old DX game that the game struggled to represent a bit. Let's see if BAKFDG can make it work!

Name: Ra'id Belcry (Codename: Ex Machina)
Concept: Haunted UGN Branch Chief
Syndrome Type: Neumann (Pure)
Blood Type: AB+

Glad there's such interest. Can't wait to get things started.

Machine Minions may be a bit too broad depending on how you see it being used. Having a set of mini-bots serving as an extra set of eyes, ears and hands is well within the scope of regular traits. Doing all that and serving as a weapon is probably a bit much. Foucault might work if taken as a separate trait however.

Pandemonium Needles is outside of the scope of what Traits can do, unless I'm dramatically misunderstanding the intention. Since it seems to be more or less screwing around with fairly fundamental setting concepts that's more of a plot device than a character Trait.

With the Signature Power I assume the intent is mainly to target NPCs? The phrasing ("ask a character's player") makes it sound lit it was meant for fellow PCS, but I figure from the function that isn't the idea.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Oh, and by the way I'm getting the impression that everyone is relatively familiar with the Double Cross setting and its basic concepts and organizations? If anyone needs a run-down of the setting let me know.

One thing worth noting in comparison to the original double cross system. Overed Battles have much more potential to escalate catastrophically in the BAKFDG system (which is, of course, by design) and fellow Overed are extremely tough to kill. This is true in the original system as well, but even more-so here. Fights between Overeds are a bit like a game of chicken...who is willing to go the furthest before the destruction becomes too great or the risk of becoming a Gjaum looms too large.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

oriongates posted:

Oh, and by the way I'm getting the impression that everyone is relatively familiar with the Double Cross setting and its basic concepts and organizations? If anyone needs a run-down of the setting let me know.

One thing worth noting in comparison to the original double cross system. Overed Battles have much more potential to escalate catastrophically in the BAKFDG system (which is, of course, by design) and fellow Overed are extremely tough to kill. This is true in the original system as well, but even more-so here. Fights between Overeds are a bit like a game of chicken...who is willing to go the furthest before the destruction becomes too great or the risk of becoming a Gjaum looms too large.

I know absolutely nothing about Double Cross! I'm just winging it! However -

quote:

Fights between Overeds are a bit like a game of chicken...who is willing to go the furthest before the destruction becomes too great or the risk of becoming a Gjaum looms too large.
Makes it worth trying out!

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

dog kisser posted:

I know absolutely nothing about Double Cross! I'm just winging it! However -

Makes it worth trying out!

Indeed, and I should say that while Gjaum rarely have the open-ended power scale of an Overed one of the things that makes them extremely dangerous is that they don't (often can't) back down. Even the most ruthless and sociopathic Overed is likely to balk at completely losing their control or simply will realize that if things escalate further then they're not going to gain anything from the confrontation. Gjaum, Even if they retain intelligence, still can't resist following their impulses no matter the consequences.

Anyway, quick Double Cross Primer for those who might need it. The first page of the conversion book gives you the basics on the Renegade Virus, Overeds and Gjaum, but here's a bit more setting info. I'll mainly stick to info that's important for the scenario I'll be running and not get too deep into setting trivia (I also adjust certain setting elements very slightly to suit myself).

The UGN The "good" guys. The UGN (Universal Guardian Network) are a globe-spanning organization whose original goal was peaceful coexistence between Overeds and normal humans as well as research into a "cure" for those who go too far and become Gjaum. Over time, these idealistic goals became more cynical and as the Renegade virus became more and more active most of their resources are now dedicated to hunting down Gjaum. They rarely bother capturing or imprisoning Gjaum (and usually then only for research purposes) and instead of working for preparing the general public to accept the existence of Overeds they simply try and suppress public events involving Overeds and Gjaum to prevent worldwide panic. They will actively try and recruit and indoctrinate Overeds into the organization to serve as agents, but they're willing to deal with non-UGN Overeds who have proved willing not to rock the boat too hard.

As the recognized authority on the Renegade Virus the UGN has almost world-wide jurisdiction. Most governments don't like it, but recognize the necessity of the UGN and thus the group has plenty of funding and resources. They've also got a huge "stable" of loyal Overed agents, and that much firepower gets you a lot of respect.

False Hearts: Labeled as a terrorist group, False Hearts is a loose affiliation of Overeds who don't care to "fit in". If the UGN is the X-Men, this is the Brotherhood of Mutants. They operate in small, largely independent cells who receive occasional resources, information and orders from a mysterious group called Central Dogma. Other than that there's no real unifying philosophy, one False Hearts cell might be a group of idealists who think that if Overeds could "go public" they could lead the world to a new utopia, another might be a straightforward group of criminals who use their powers for personal gain and a third might be an apocalyptic cult who believes that becoming a Gjaum is the final goal of evolution.

False Hearts is notable for their use of Gjaum. Some are able to use their abilities to control Gjaum as soldiers or minons, but some cells have full-fledged Gjaum members: those former Overeds who retain enough intelligence to function as members of the cell.

Tempest: Tempest is an arm of the US military dedicated to anti-Renegade research and operations. Although they have Overed agents as well they prefer to rely on high-tech weaponry and overwhelming force. Rumor has it they've even done research on "weaponizing" Gjaum. They are known for butting heads with the UGN over matters of jurisdiction and information and neither group really trusts one another. Because of the American military presence, Tempest also has a branch in Japan and rivalry between the local UGN branches and the foreign Tempest soldiers is especially fierce.

Renegade Beings: A Renegade Being is a sentient creature spawned from the Renegade virus itself. No one can really agree what Renegade Beings truly are or why they exist. A common theory is that somehow the virus uses them to learn about the world and evolve, but Renegade Beings all seem to have their own, individual agenda. Being literally made from the Renegade Virus they have superhuman abilities just like Overeds...but they can also succumb to Corruption. Their personality and goals are kind of an artificial shell that holds their "self" together and if they use too much power that shell can shatter just as easily (or even easier) than the human psyche.

EX Renegade are beings or objects that are infused with the Renegade Virus but lack the sapience and independence of Renegade Beings. They are the source of common rumors of cursed locations or objects and often they possess unusual properties and powers. A particular variant of EX Renegade is a Renegade Crystal, a solidified gem of viral matter which can be a source of great power, but increases Corruption.

General Knowledge: To the world at large, the Renegade Virus and everything associated with it (Overeds, Gjaum, the UGN, etc) are unknown. So far the UGN's stranglehold on information about the virus has succeeded in keeping any of this from becoming common knowledge and currently there haven't been Gjaum incidents disastrous enough or False Hearts agents bold enough to create an incident that could not be covered up. This concealment isn't perfect however...the world is full of rumors about weird creatures and people (although they're often confused with UMAs, cryptids or aliens) and many in the media are starting to catch on to the existence of a mass coverup of some kind.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

oriongates posted:

Glad there's such interest. Can't wait to get things started.

Machine Minions may be a bit too broad depending on how you see it being used. Having a set of mini-bots serving as an extra set of eyes, ears and hands is well within the scope of regular traits. Doing all that and serving as a weapon is probably a bit much. Foucault might work if taken as a separate trait however.

Pandemonium Needles is outside of the scope of what Traits can do, unless I'm dramatically misunderstanding the intention. Since it seems to be more or less screwing around with fairly fundamental setting concepts that's more of a plot device than a character Trait.

With the Signature Power I assume the intent is mainly to target NPCs? The phrasing ("ask a character's player") makes it sound lit it was meant for fellow PCS, but I figure from the function that isn't the idea.

I can split Machine Minions up in two, yeah - something like a more generic Machine Minions trait for Ra'id using various mechanical critters to deal with obstacles and a Foucault trait specifically for self-defense and whatever uses you can give a little laser spider?

Pandemonium Needles is a bit of an experiment for me - exploring if Traits can be used to create unusual Obstacles or Hazards, in this particular case by, for example, temporary cancelling one Syndrome's powers for a round with a successful Obstacle creation roll, or shutting them down for a longer period of time if the target is Stressed out through them. I can swap em out if needed, though.

As for Smartest Man Alive, yeah, it's meant to target NPCs (unless players give explicit consent for being targeted with it - couldn't use it on them without permission). The idea is to duplicate things like Joseph Joestar's little 'next you're gonna say...' catchphrase, or the amazing predictive skills of Artemis Fowl and the adaptability of his plans. I'll edit the wording if just saying 'ask the GM' would be better.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 28, 2016

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Transient People posted:

I can split Machine Minions up in two, yeah - something like a more generic Machine Minions trait for Ra'id using various mechanical critters to deal with obstacles and a Foucault trait specifically for self-defense and whatever uses you can give a little laser spider?

Sounds good to me. And I am open to flexible uses of the Minions as well, I'd just balk at them being used as a primary combat tool on top of their utility abilities. Clever tricks or one-off ideas (say causing them to self-destruct en masse as a one-shot attack or similar ideas) are always on the table.

quote:

Pandemonium Needles is a bit of an experiment for me - exploring if Traits can be used to create unusual Obstacles or Hazards, in this particular case by, for example, temporary cancelling one Syndrome's powers for a round with a successful Obstacle creation roll, or shutting them down for a longer period of time if the target is Stressed out through them. I can swap em out if needed, though.

Hmm...it wobbles a little awkwardly between an External Trait, Power and Plot Device, if that makes sense. For instance, for a Solaris character I would say the ability to produce a chemical that hinders or disrupts Powers via an Obstacle would be a good Unique Power. Likewise, in my personal Double-Cross 'headcanon' I've always assumed that the UGN had some kind of limited power suppression drugs or techniques.

I think I may ask that this be swapped out if for no other reason than a big part of the plot in the scenario I have planned out will be...thematically adjacent...to these ideas and I'd prefer to keep things like Renegade-manipulation technology in the realms of plot device rather than locked in as a character Trait.

quote:

As for Smartest Man Alive, yeah, it's meant to target NPCs (unless players give explicit consent for being targeted with it - couldn't use it on them without permission). The idea is to duplicate things like Joseph Joestar's little 'next you're gonna say...' catchphrase, or the amazing predictive skills of Artemis Fowl and the adaptability of his plans. I'll edit the wording if just saying 'ask the GM' would be better.

Phrasing doesn't matter so long as we're all on the same page, so its cool.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

oriongates posted:

Cool, let me know if you have a preference between the characters, personally I'm leaning a bit more towards William/Wraithblade as the current group isn't strong in the heavy-hitting department.

Overall, he looks good although I'll mention that Aetherstep and Uncanny Avoidance are close enough together that you could get away just making them a single Trait (in my mind Aetherstep more or less translates to "being fast without being in a hurry" and Uncanny Avoidance into "dodging without looking like you dodged"). That'd also free up a Trait for a swordfighting or similar skill which'll synergize powerfully with Tchernobog (remember Internal and External Traits can be combined)

Honestly, I like both characters. Antonius is perhaps more fleshed out and such, but William is definitely more Animesque, which I feel might be more in the spirit of this particular game. If you prefer William more, I certainly have no objection!

I have tweaked his traits around a bit. Blademaster is now his d10, Tchernobog has replaced Uncanny Avoidance as his d8, and Aetherstep is now both his designated movement AND dodge skill, instead of just the former.

Also, because knacks are currently so relatively expensive XP-wise, I have replaced my Unique with two knacks (Executioner and Stay On Target) to sort of drive home his niche as UGM's single target headtaker (in contrast to, say, Stricken and her whole Tactical Nuke role).

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Hey, a bit of IRCing about this game lead to a kind of interesting mechanics question I'd like some clarity on:

Combining an internal and external trait to attack a single dude is simple enough: Roll 2d(internal trait (pick highest)) +1d(external trait)

But what if you attack multiple targets? In that case it's: Roll (however many targets you're attacking)d(internal trait (pick lowest)) , but if you straight add 1d(external trait), then the external trait would become much comparatively stronger in multi-target combat. How does it actuall work? Do you roll the external for every opponent too?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

When attacking multiple targets you roll the External Trait once and simply add it to the lowest die result. directly to the lowest Internal Trait roll. Abilities that give a direct bonus (such as Knacks and Styles) are also stronger in that context.

I'm not 100% certain yet if that's a feature, a bug or...just a thing that is. The rules for multiple targets were the result of me realizing that if I simply penalized your roll it'd be easy to use the Overcome power to attack everyone at once and a bit of me just fiddling around with what you can do with the dice mechanics.

For right now, I'm fine with the idea that having a big sword or a giant gun or whatever makes you better at mowing down large groups of enemies. Given that foes often oscillate between extremely powerful entities and a singular mass of Troops I think it's not going to be a problem...against major opponents you'll want to make sure to get the highest roll possible and that means focused attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

oriongates posted:

Very cool. Given the scenario I have planned, "fighting fire with fire" may prove very apt. As far as the Corruption level goes, if you want to set it at 40% I won't stop you.

It's not illegal, but it may require some clarification. An annihilation field that can be used offensively and even defensively (by disintegrating or disrupting attacks) is fine with a few caveats...

The big thing is it can't be absolute. For instance, at Awakened Power Level things like a squad of soldiers or gangsters could still present an active threat (not much of one, but it exists) so being surrounded by an instant matter-annihilation field would be going to far. Likewise you won't be able to start eating through tank armor or blast doors until you reach Inhuman or higher power level. I think that's also the page you're on as well. So at Awakened you wouldn't want her hugging your puppy or touching your mint condition figurines but it won't be until the higher power levels that metal and concrete start turning to dust with ease and even then an appropriate attack of the right Power Level isn't going to get outright negated.

The second thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't give the benefits of "free" powers. So if an Exile or Chimera decides to try and rip into you they aren't going to pull back a bloody stump unless you actually activate the Counterattack power.

Sweet, this is pretty much what I wanted!
I figure that it functions sort of like erosion/the withering of age rather than instant-annihilation when undirected (at least fluffwise); with both the speed and the area effected increasing with power-levels.
So flowers might wilt beneath her gaze and her mere presence would be terrible for the carpeting (hence the constant hovering), but to actually eat through a wooden door at lower power levels she'd have to direct it, using her trait to attack.

Anyway, another question that came up discussing knacks and so on in IRC: Say I had a Pirate character, with the style Shirtless, the internal trait of Meleé Combat, the External Trait of Pirate Cutlass, and two knacks; Fighting Multiple Enemies and Fighting On a Boat.
If I had this character attack an enemy pirate crew (shirtless, of course!) during a boarding-action, how big of a bonus would he actually get? If this example isn't anime enough, imagine the boat is flying. I know I am!

• Locked thread