Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Yes I understand, sometimes you just have to figure it out the hard way. I think if you look at the water with F3 it will tell you if it's deep (as in "deep water" literally) but I don't know for sure.

What I found is that if you try and jump off into that water it'll mention it's deep water and you'll have to swim. That seems like a good way of telling besides having to swim to get there first.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Here is what rapids look like on the overworld map and the detailed map:

And you meant disappeared on the overworld map? Yeah, they do that. They haven't actually vanished though, but they do become harder to spot on the overworld map. Not sure why, might be because they're wary and/or constantly moving?

I'll keep an eye for the rapids. Annoyingly I'm having tons of trouble with the smaller details that I have to see since I'm colourblind. Oh, I fired an arrow and it hit a tree ...somehwere. Welp, I'm sure it's somewhere, but I can't see it.

Or more importantly, "settlement spotted" ......huh *5 minutes of trying to find the bloody thing*

Also the disappearing makes sense, but it is silly when I'm on a mountain overlooking an empty mire and I can't spot the herd of reindeer running across it. Maybe my character is colourblind too. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
A few more questions:

- What's the difference between Custom and Custom - easy when creating a character?
- Did they remove the survival skill in the new version? I've seen "f" to build a fire, but how do I do the rest?
- How do I get something to drink when there is snow everywhere?
- I feel that walking in the snow tires my character. Should I make some skis?
- How do I butcher a carcass?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

IIRC...

- Custom Easy lets you REDUCE skills to get more points to put in other skills. Commonly used by reducing weapon skills for weapons you'll never use (flails anyone?)

- Survival has been removed.

quote:

- removed: SURVIVAL skill

Actions that were covered by SURVIVAL skill are now remapped as follows:

"Cut branches/twigs" is now done with TIMBERCRAFT skill.
"Shelter" can be built with BUILDING skill.
"Make a hole in the ice" is now done with FISHING skill or [q]uaff command.
"Build a fire" has a new [f] key command of its own
- You can't eat snow (a handful of snow doesn't contain much water!) you have to go break a hole in some frozen over water. Melting (mass quantities) of snow in a pot for water is planned for some day in the future.

- Walking in deep snow definitely tires you out. Get yourself some Skiis

- you either use the butcher command or carve. I can't quite remember.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Red Mike posted:

What I found is that if you try and jump off into that water it'll mention it's deep water and you'll have to swim. That seems like a good way of telling besides having to swim to get there first.

Pressing F3 gives you a red cursor you can point at things far away to get a description. Pressing x only lets you look at adjacent tiles. Maybe being colorblind prevents you from seeing the cursor? Sucks if so :(

Fat Samurai posted:

- How do I butcher a carcass?

b for butcher!

f for fire, u for (stand) up, R to run, h to hide, Z to sleep. Makes plenty of sense, unlike q for quaff - that always puzzled me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

is capital-D for drink already bound to something else?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Galaga Galaxian posted:

is capital-D for drink already bound to something else?

Yes it's the Discard button to erase stuff from the world. Useful to get rid of clutter and spoiled food - or mushrooms -without having to throw it into fire/water (also some things float or don't burn) but when you accidentally erase a masterwork carving axe you will cry.

Luckily it has a safety "are you really sure? Y/N" prompt

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 29, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ah, I forgot about that. Its been a while since I played. I should really change that, but I've got Stardew Valley hogging my attention right now.

Also, another tip for the new players. Be sure to keep the spirits happy with rituals and sacrifices and stuff. Does it matter? Who knows, but you'd rather have the spirits happy with you than angry either way, right? :colbert:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ok, thanks for the tips. I swear I've looked at the '?' screen for a bit without seeing the butcher command.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, another tip for the new players. Be sure to keep the spirits happy with rituals and sacrifices and stuff. Does it matter? Who knows, but you'd rather have the spirits happy with you than angry either way, right? :colbert:

Also don't sleep or light fires on road tiles. That will give you nightmares and anger the spirits. Apparently it's part of Finnish folklore!

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Do creatures/raiders still spawn on single tile islands?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I can't believe how far this game has come. Back when I played it years ago the ui was a mess and it was way too overly complex. Now it's almost perfect. If you hated this back a few years ago it's worth trying it again because it's leaps and bounds better imo.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Pressing F3 gives you a red cursor you can point at things far away to get a description. Pressing x only lets you look at adjacent tiles. Maybe being colorblind prevents you from seeing the cursor? Sucks if so :(

I can see it (except when the background is noisy like in some marsh), but it doesn't seem to change to 'deep water' unless maybe there's a skill to detect that or something I guess.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welp, RIP my first character. :smith:
Was heading back to camp after a successful hunting trip, loaded with reindeer meat and a pot I had traded the hide for. Ran into a lone Njerpez warrior who completely trashed me eventhough I stuck two javelins in him before closing in.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Did you drop your load before engaging? If you were heavily weighed down you'll fight like poo poo even if you're a big, burly Kaumolais.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I did, I only had like a 4% load penalty. I managed to land a couple grazing hits on him with my axe and dodged his first attacks, but then he started doing counterattacks with his shortsword which wrecked my poo poo.
I guess I should've held on to my second javelin to stab with it in melee instead of throwing it, since my spear skill was a lot higher than my axe skill.

Oh well, it was a learning experience.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I don't have a lot of experience in man vs man combat (especially a straight up melee fight) but I've always preferred a trust spear as my main melee weapon.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
I can't hunt in this game, my javelins never hit and all the animals run way faster than me.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Try setting up some traps instead. Can trap a deer in a hole in the ground and spend hours trying to deliver a killing blow with a whittling knife

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Is there still that problem where if you move you punt or raft one tile inland from the overland map and accidentally enter the detailed map, it spawns your watercraft in the middle of the land tile instead of the shore?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I think that got fixed/adjusted. http://www.unrealworld.fi/330-changelog.txt

quote:

- changed mechanics: going on shore by watercraft

When travelling by watercraft you may now go on shore only on zoomed in map.

There's message to inform you about it if you try to go on shore on world map.
This fixes odd automatic watercraft placement attempts, and makes it more convenient to
raft on world map as you don't have to worry about accidentally going on shore.

- changed mechanic: zooming out at water based terrain

It's not allowed to zoom out at water based terrain, unless you are travelling by watercraft.

This means you need to move away from lake, river, rapids, sea etc. water based zoomed
in maps before it is allowed to zoom back out to world map. You'll get accustomed to
this quite soon, and often it's only a few steps you need to take to cross the map border
onto dry land.
This change was made to get rid of glitches which arose from game's attempts to automatically
locate walking characters on dry land on the world map. When repeatedly visiting zoomed
in terrain beside the water, returning exactly from where you last zoomed out also works
better without the world map relocation hassle.

I could be wrong though. I haven't actually played the new version yet, despite buying it immediately on Steam.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nordick posted:

Yeah I did, I only had like a 4% load penalty. I managed to land a couple grazing hits on him with my axe and dodged his first attacks, but then he started doing counterattacks with his shortsword which wrecked my poo poo.
I guess I should've held on to my second javelin to stab with it in melee instead of throwing it, since my spear skill was a lot higher than my axe skill.

Oh well, it was a learning experience.

Rip man, and it wasn't even a mushroom :smith:

Check the combat guide on the wiki: here

Njerpez are dangerous, and sometimes stuff just doesn't go your way. When fighting humans in melee I can offer a few tips:

Always try to use the weapon you're most skilled with and try to go for the body at first: missing attacks will make you tired, your first few strikes are the most important.

Examine what your enemy is carrying with F3, if he only has one good weapon it's worth it to try to block or attack his arms, if he drops it you have a big advantage. Also check what he's wearing, furs and mail are good against edged weapons so try to point attacks or aim for less covered areas. Blunt is great against mail and iron.

Don't be afraid to wait out if he is counterattacking, pass a turn and let him attack so you can block if you have a defensive (shield, trident, staff) or counterattack with an offensive weapon. Try and control the pace of the fight, swinging wildly without hitting means you'll be an easy target.

Swords are the most dangerous weapons, even the smaller ones have good attack and defense bonuses so try to make him drop it by blocking, attack arms or defend with a shield if you use a one handed weapon. Remember if you're good with unarmed you can kick with 0, if you hit legs or arms he could fall down or lose his weapon.

Also as said sometimes poo poo doesn't go your way, you can also try and run away, if I see I have like 20% injury (but no mobility penalty - if he hit your legs then maybe stand and fight... On the other hand if you hit his legs he won't be able to chase you that well) I would try to run rather than getting killed. Never turn your back to an adjacent enemy - run backwards a few tiles, if he can't close the distance then turn and run like the wind!

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 1, 2016

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Yes, that's how it works now. Your boat won't be visible on the world map though, so if you park it and venture far inland you should use the map marker function.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
Oof, the new graphics engine is a bit of a bummer now that it's no longer pixel-perfect, it's straining my eyes as if I was using a VGA cable. :( Is there a way to set the window to a size that would keep the text at a 1:1 ratio?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Played this for the first time in awhile. Started with pretty much nothing but a lovely knife. I went to the nearest town and tried to trade nearly everything I had for a hand axe, but apparently they weren't impressed with my pile of tattered rags and moldy fish. So I bolted for it. I nearly made it until the town elder caught up with me and kicked me in my loving eye, which gave the other pursuers an opportunity to riddle me with arrows.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TorakFade posted:

Rip man, and it wasn't even a mushroom :smith:

Check the combat guide on the wiki: here

Njerpez are dangerous, and sometimes stuff just doesn't go your way. When fighting humans in melee I can offer a few tips:
Thanks for the tips. I'll try to be more mindful next time.

Since my run got cut so short I started another go with mostly the same settings, just tweaked my character a little bit more. Got lucky with starting equipment, which included a fine spear so now I at least have a good weapon. The starting location also had a couple extra clothing items lying around which I was able to trade in for goodies.

Early on I encountered a few wild sows in the woods, and was able to kill a sleeping one by just sneaking up on it and stabbing it with my spear. It took off but didn't get far before bleeding out.
Managed to trade some handicrafts for a carving axe, and just shortly after got a handaxe from the tutorial. I'm guessing those two are a bit redundant, but I'm definitely gonna hold on to both.

Also found a nice place for a cabin, a little cape/almost-island that's only connected to the mainland by a neck a few tiles wide. Dug a couple spiked trap pits at the neck and barely had to wait for a day for a stag to blunder into one. The cabin construction is still only two wall pieces in, but all in all my situation is pretty good for now. Only have two tutorial tasks left too, have to get an animal and then hire a companion. I expect that stag hide is gonna be a pretty good trade-in for a cow or something.

I wonder if they're ever gonna implement features to harvest more materials from animals, like bones and horns.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 1, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

You want all the different tool axes you can get, at least once you start settling down. Different axes are good for different tasks. EG: Woodman's Axe is the best at felling trees and chopping trunks into blocks. Splitting Axes are best are making firewood from blocks or making boards from trunks. etc etc.

However if you're a light-travelling nomad, a Handaxe usually suffices as a "do it all decently" tool.

[edit] For the animal, get yourself a dog, they're not too expensive and super useful. For the hiring a companion, just throw some food at a nearby villager to get him to work for you. Then hand him your Woodsman's Axe (or whatever), take him to the trees, and tell him to start logging. Hirelings are loving Paul Bunyons and don't seem to get tired nearly as fast as you do chopping down trees.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 1, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

^^^ to clarify, do not just give the food to someone without asking him first via the chat if he wants to go on an adventure with you or something like that, otherwise he'll accept your gift of food but it won't do any good... also he'll stay with you for a few days, remember to reclaim any items you gave him before that otherwise he'll take off with your woodsman axe!

Nordick posted:

I wonder if they're ever gonna implement features to harvest more materials from animals, like bones and horns.

I think there's a mod for that? At least someone on the official modding forums was talking about making a full-on butchery mod to get different cuts of meat, tendons, bones etc + modifying crafting recipes to use them (like tendons for bowstring, bones for needles to sew, and so on) but I didn't follow much because such mods are very complex and eat up a lot of time, I'd rather keep my game simple - except for cookery, I love me some fancy new recipes to break up the monotony of eating only smoked/roasted meat.

You seem to be doing quite well, as already said hang on to that crafting axe because it's great for a lot of the more complex woodworking tasks, it'll be very handy in building your cabin. I strive to have at least a woodsman's axe and a carving axe, while broad axe and splitting axe are more specialized tools that are pretty much a luxury.

The handaxe is the best "traveling around" axe, it's light and does most things reasonably well, never go on a trip without it! Just keep in mind that a specialized axe will always be better so bring that woodsman's axe if you plan to fell trees, you'll save a lot of time.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 1, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I was aware that different axes/knives are better at different things, I just wasn't quite sure about how pronounced the effect is and I was wondering whether a carving axe and hand axe were pretty similar in function. Good to know they have enough differences to keep both around.

As for that butchery mod, I don't want anything too complex either, mainly I just figured some bones and horns oughta be good for something. Currently I'm trekking towards Driik in the hopes of finding some salt to buy, because it seems these Koivula yokels haven't even heard of the stuff.

Incidentally, are there any consequences in the game for murdering people if there aren't any witnesses?
I mean, I know slaughtering and cannibalizing a whole village will likely piss off the spirits, but let's say I come across a solitary vagabond in no-man's land and just shank him and take his stuff, am I gonna wake up some night to a squirrel tearing into my jugular?
Uh, asking purely hypothetically, of course. Heh. Eheh. :ninja:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think any aggressive homicide affects your spiritual relations, which beside ritual chance, can also start spawning/drawing in bears, wolf packs, and lynxes in your currently occupied square.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Righto. Luckily I just learned a "General sacrifice" ritual, I guess that might come in handy for mooching up to the spirits if they get cross with me.

...I still kinda feel like a dick, though. I even asked for the guy's name before I stabbed him in the back.

RIP Jyri the woodsman, your stuff bought me a bag of salt.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nordick posted:

Righto. Luckily I just learned a "General sacrifice" ritual, I guess that might come in handy for mooching up to the spirits if they get cross with me.

...I still kinda feel like a dick, though. I even asked for the guy's name before I stabbed him in the back.

You monster. :mad:

Killing one guy should not be so bad, the game will kinda tell you if the spirits are pissed off giving you messages like “the forest looks hostile" and you'll start having nightmares. If on the other hand the spirits are pleased you will "feel comfortable" and eventually learn new rituals, that you have to go to a sage to learn how to perform.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I kept getting the "comfortable" messages and even "You feel unity with the world" a few times earlier. Didn't get any warning messages like that afterwards, either.

However karma apparently caught up with me anyways, because I just got eaten by a pack of wolves on my way back from Driik lands. :suicide:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Nordick posted:

I'm sorry, did you just left all that delicious meat just laying around :confused:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What are you? A filthy Njerpz?

You can only go cannibal if you're absolutely starving.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Are the Njerpez supposed to represent some specific real-world Iron Age culture, or are they just some sort of Finnish Uruk-Hai?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You can only go cannibal if you're absolutely starving.
Worst. Patch. Ever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Comrade Koba posted:

Are the Njerpez supposed to represent some specific real-world Iron Age culture, or are they just some sort of Finnish Uruk-Hai?
As violent outsiders from the southeast, its maybe a safe assumption that they are a slavic raider band by ways of a milllenia of telephone. Like they probably didn't eat people but that's exactly what you tell your kids when you don't want them to go too deep into the swamp.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Fat Samurai posted:

Worst. Patch. Ever.

Its been that way for a year+

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its been that way for a year+

Still, he has a point.

All cultures are fictional afaik, but loosely based on actual Finnish (or in Njerpez case slavic / russian I guess) subcultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah the Njerpez seem to be just some sort of generic eastern raider analogy. They wear lamellar armour, which, as I understand, was common with nomadic steppe people across eastern Europe and Asia during that time period.

As for the name Njerpez, I have a feeling it might be just some sort of in-joke reference to the Swedish-speaking Finnish town of Närpes. Njerpez could be like, a joking pseudo-Russian version of that. But this is just wild conjecture from my part and might as well be complete baloney.

EDIT: Also here's a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N2UChrjby0

Be sure to turn on the video subtitles.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 2, 2016

• Locked thread