Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I got killed by a bear :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I am going on a quest to collect all the pots in the game world.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Man bows are powerful. I've never really used them but in my rampage through the east I've begun to see just how good they are. With a longbow I can just stand at a distance outside a Njerpez villag and wait until they notice me then just keep firing until I run out of arrows. By then most of my attackers will be dead or incapacitated and the rest tired and injured enough that I can switch to my battleaxe and dismember them with ease.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Man bows are powerful. I've never really used them but in my rampage through the east I've begun to see just how good they are. With a longbow I can just stand at a distance outside a Njerpez villag and wait until they notice me then just keep firing until I run out of arrows. By then most of my attackers will be dead or incapacitated and the rest tired and injured enough that I can switch to my battleaxe and dismember them with ease.

Nice - when my character kicks the bucket (or I get tired of living the high-life) I might go for a more bow-heavy build, myself. I just love the convenience of javelins (i.e. only one slot taken/required per javelin, so I can still throw one at close range and have a proper melee weapon in-hand, plus the javelins don't get lost/fly off as far and that they're easy to make. Oh, and also that the spear skill is shared between spears and javelins, so I'm using both to capitalize on that) too much though, for me to change so far into my current game. Especially as my spear skill is rated as 'master', so I'm getting a lot of good neck- and eye-shots with my javelins. (Might go for a sword+bow or an axe+bow build next, maybe)

Also, in recent times I've actually encountered THREE elk passing right by my house/the rapids next to my house. That's not including the 1-2 I've found tracks for, after returning from hunts, etc. Unfortunately though, they always came at a bad time - namely during various points while I was tanning the hide of another elk I found, out on a hunt nearby! :v:
I really wish I could dig some pits along where they have been walking, since I think I'd get loads of easy meat and furs, that way. Are there any other traps I could potentially deploy, in order to stop these elk and reindeer from getting away before I can return home with my dog? Or am I S.O.L. until spring/summer?
(I've also got two trap fences set up on the only narrow-ish land connections to my little valley - the fence part, at least. drat, I wish I had stopped to consider that I wouldn't be able to dig in the winter! Since then I would've dug more in the summer, then focused on the final stages of my house construction in the early winter)

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Might as well post some of the pictures I took from my now dead character.

I had a really nice spot set up on the far western coast, north of the Driik territory. The peninsula I was on was about 1km long, and had three entrances, two of which were incredibly narrow, like less than 50m across. So perfect for trap fences. The fences seemed crazy effective and I was swimming in meat after a while. The third entrance was about 200-300m across and I never got around to fencing that part. There was also a nice hill at the entrance that I used to keep an eye on things.

One of the trap fence chokepoints:

My hobo camp. I had a smokehouse and cellar and a few piles of junk. I used that little rocky crag thing sticking out into the water as a fishing pier. I was just getting ready to build a bigger winter shelter before I died. I died right when the first snow started to fall.

I was certain that I would've killed that drat bear. I had good weapon skills, a full suit of armor including a lamellar breastplate, and I opened the fight by giving it a solid hit with a broadhead arrow, causing a deep bleeding wound. I stabbed it probably a dozen times after that, causing it to stumble and fall a couple of times. It was grievously wounded and I had only suffered one single scratch on my shoulder. Then it just hits me right in the face out of nowhere and kills me instantly. :cry: Oh well. RIP Urgh. Don't attack bears next time I guess.

I just started another Kaumo guy, this time in the far east in Kaumo home territory. I must say that endurance hunting is a LOT easier in the wide open mires and bogs out there, holy poo poo. I ran down a badger and then a big elk and stabbed them to death and it's only like day 2. First time I've managed to pull that off.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Yeah I've lost three consecutive characters to Nerps wading through the hail of arrow fire and getting off one lucky sword swing.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
So I finally decided to actually really try to play URW (having owned it on steam for a while, and having bought a single-version license back in 2011)... and I'm a little lost.

I know the game's just really open, so I'm probably approaching it the wrong way, but I don't want to give up on it, because I really like various in-depth simulations (survival and otherwise) from other games. So, I guess my question is:

Not 'how do you play' in a tutorial sense, but what's sensible to *do*? I started to build a cabin, and I assume I'm doing that right, but it looks like it works out to felling ~6 trees per tile (fell->logs->haul->build) -- is that right? When should I be aiming to do that?

How can you viably trade or get goods from villages? Not that I have much to trade, but when I go to villages, there just doesn't seem to be ... much of anything anywhere. The hunters/woodsmen or whatever at least will trade directly, but they have very little as well. Should I only be looking for larger towns?

Is cord (for drying) reusable? I haven't gotten any yet, but unless I can have a reliable or renewable source, is it ever worth preserving fish with it?

I think I've been playing in a degenerate way, I've just got a shelter next to some rapids in 'spring' (latter winter) and I'm fishing basically every day, eating half of what I catch and then trying to build a wooden cabin...but it feels like there's a lot of ... I dunno, inventory fiddling for this?

Edit: I should note I've done a good chunk of the living in the wild gamecourse (I didn't manage to actually kill a hunted beast)

Fayk fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 8, 2017

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Fayk posted:

Not 'how do you play' in a tutorial sense, but what's sensible to *do*? I started to build a cabin, and I assume I'm doing that right, but it looks like it works out to felling ~6 trees per tile (fell->logs->haul->build) -- is that right? When should I be aiming to do that?

Yeah it's 6 trees per wall section and it take a really long time to build anything. If you're still in spring though, then you should have loads of time to build a cabin, or go traveling across the map to find the best possible spot if you want. The best use of a cabin is for shelter during the winter, and for smoking meat during the summer, since I don't think you can dry meat during the summer. It's usually a good idea to build a tiny smokehouse/sauna at first, just in case you kill a big animal and don't have the means to preserve the meat in your big half-built cabin and then your 200 lbs of fresh meat goes to waste. Then you can expand it into a bigger cabin to live in or build a separate house later if you want. You might also want to hold off on building a big cabin until you get a full set of axes, like the woodsman's axe for chopping down trees, carving axe for carving logs, and broad axe for building. It will go a lot faster that way and you can use the extra time for hunting and trading. You can also hire someone to help you chop down trees and whatnot.

Fayk posted:

How can you viably trade or get goods from villages? Not that I have much to trade, but when I go to villages, there just doesn't seem to be ... much of anything anywhere. The hunters/woodsmen or whatever at least will trade directly, but they have very little as well. Should I only be looking for larger towns?

Some of the tribes are more poor than the others. The Driik people have the best villages for trading and usually have loads of good stuff, but you might not be able to get there easily, depending on where you are. No matter what the culture though, the goods you find in each village will change now and then, so it's worth checking old villages every once in a while for new stuff. Even some poor shithole on the edge of the map might have something good pop up eventually. Also keep an eye out for foreign traders wandering the map. They will usually have very good iron weapons, bows and arrows and armor and whatnot, but will only trade them for furs. So if you have a bunch of extra food (or food that will spoil soon) or other stuff you don't want, you can trade them away for furs in some poor village somewhere, then trade the furs (plus furs you got from hunting/trapping) for good poo poo from the foreigners.

Fayk posted:

Is cord (for drying) reusable? I haven't gotten any yet, but unless I can have a reliable or renewable source, is it ever worth preserving fish with it?

I don't think it's reusable unfortunately, at least not when you smoke meat. It would be worth preserving some of the big fish like pike or trout. Not the little fish though. I think one cord can tie up 10 pieces of meat each, so if you have fewer than 10 fish then it might not be worth it unless they're the really big kind. Once you start killing big animals like elk then you should have plenty of cord to go around so it's no big deal either way.

For the long game, half the fun is just experimenting with all the different poo poo you can do in this game IMO. I don't think there's any real "wrong" way to play it. Go play a hobo fisherman who lives out on a lake, or a crazy serial killer cannibal who murders random people, or go attack a village and get beaten to death by the children, or organize raiding parties and get into battles with the Njerpezit. :black101:

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 8, 2017

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Man, so. Had some fun with the game. Plenty. But there's just one problem:

Building a house basically killed me. I mean, the character's fine, but I've had zero interest in URW since I built a house. What an agonizing loving process.

I don't actually know how they even 'fix' it. Tonally, it has the right feel for the sheer time investment, but it's a pain in the loving rear end (literally multiple real-world hours spent, and just constant maintenance) and...probably not really worth it.

...it doesn't help that I didn't make the minimum sized house, either.

I know Sami has plans to add stuff like taking over after death in future generations (granted, stated years ago) and those would be a good match, but otherwise, this kind of time investment in a single action is kind of a mistake in anything resembling a roguelike. I really don't know how you 'fix' it without trivializing it, though.

Edit: Just to be clear I'm just kind of venting/etc. I like the game/think it's good. But this definitely kinda killed my want-to-rush-home-and-play-after-work momentum.
Edit2: Just to be clear, I had all the specialized axes, including fine or masterwork for most of them. And most of the tree felling was hireling.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 18, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Building a house is boring and should not be attempted unless its near water (for ferrying logs) and you have all the axes, and even then why not just steal someone elses house.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Building a Kota is way cooler and integrates with the core gameplay mechanic better. Basically just hunt like you normally do but make a cool tent out of all your bad hides. What's not to love?

Also, if anybody is interested in my crafting megamod it's been a few pages so I'd be happy to repost it (could be bugs tho)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Building a house is boring and should not be attempted unless its near water (for ferrying logs) and you have all the axes, and even then why not just steal someone elses house.

Oh, I had plenty of lumber around. What grated on me was the number of fiddly UI interactions and the fact that since everything takes so long, even with plenty of food handy, it was just a lot of 'work' even in real-world-time. Gotta eat. Gotta feed dog. Gotta sleep. Despite a character with near-maxed endurance (which is obviously common/easy with rerolls, but...) they get fatigued multiple times a day, so add in explicit rests, etc.

I also feel like wildlife is weirdly sparse. I basically live in the woods IRL and I see (And hear) way more wildlife than exists in Finland, apparently. That stops me from wanting to go the Kota route. But maybe I'm also worrying about this too much because I have a scarcity complex. I finished the building well before winter (Late Fallow month)

Anyways, just grousing. Definitely still like the game. Oh, is there a good way to find more quests? I've only really had one offer for one, when I ran into an injured villager in town.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fayk posted:

I also feel like wildlife is weirdly sparse. I basically live in the woods IRL and I see (And hear) way more wildlife than exists in Finland, apparently. That stops me from wanting to go the Kota route. But maybe I'm also worrying about this too much because I have a scarcity complex. I finished the building well before winter (Late Fallow month)

Anyways, just grousing. Definitely still like the game. Oh, is there a good way to find more quests? I've only really had one offer for one, when I ran into an injured villager in town.

I sometimes feel the same about wildlife, but then I trip over three different animals / herds in a single day. I agree that wildlife, small critters especially, should be a little more common - I tend to find more elks and bears than squirrels which is kinda ridiculous.

For quests, get friendly with more villages by visiting them often, giving out more than required when trading for stuff and do quests. Once you got a quest from a village you won't get another for a month or two so rotate them

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I think you run into more wildlife on the zoomed-in map than zoomed-out. It seems your character will miss things on the world map now and then, maybe depending on your character's eyesight stat? I dunno. I totally agree there should be more small critters though. I can't leave my front yard without walking past two or three squirrels, but in this game I can walk for miles without seeing one. Where I used to live, there would be a dozen rabbits on every street corner. Maybe they don't wanna make the game too easy I guess. I've been seeing a shitload of birds in my current playthrough though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Modern rabbits and squirrels are (sub)urban vermin exploding in population from trash and garden scavenging. Which actually corresponds with how you will see them a lot if you are storing something they want in game.

The animal frequency feels accurate enough to me given you don't get auto flagged for smaller animals based on being harder to spot.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

zedprime posted:

Modern rabbits and squirrels are (sub)urban vermin exploding in population from trash and garden scavenging.

Don't forget about the lack of predation as well. Not saying there should be hordes of bunnies everywhere but you can go days in-game and not find anything, despite walking around in an ancient forest relatively untouched by humanity.

edit: oh and it seems I was totally wrong with a post I made earlier:

Kenzie posted:

I think one cord can tie up 10 pieces of meat each

19 is the maximum amount of meat you can smoke with one cord. If you go up to 20 and above it's 2 cords. If you try to do 50 cuts at once it makes you use 5 cords. So I though it was 10 cuts each. Craziness.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 19, 2017

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Kenzie posted:

Don't forget about the lack of predation as well. Not saying there should be hordes of bunnies everywhere but you can go days in-game and not find anything, despite walking around in an ancient forest relatively untouched by humanity.

edit: oh and it seems I was totally wrong with a post I made earlier:

19 is the maximum amount of meat you can smoke with one cord. If you go up to 20 and above it's 2 cords. If you try to do 50 cuts at once it makes you use 5 cords. So I though it was 10 cuts each. Craziness.

Yeah, obviously where I live has other factors, with human habitation and dogs affecting how many predators that are around, but I have literally had a mountain lion on my property (20 feet away, through glass) and there are also coyote and foxes around.

And I see quail, deer, and rabbits on my property a lot too.

And I'm not a superstar 85% tracking superfinn.

Just to be clear, I just think I'd at least personally have fun with some tweaks here. Game's good, just want MOARRR.

Maybe the solution would be better if there were better ways to *actively* find stags etc if you were willing to spend a day ranging/hunting/etc. Right now the 's'kills->tracking on the *world map* seems really...lackluster. Just running around getting an open view of every mire or mountaintop seems far more worthwhile.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Well gently caress. Now I've lost my second character in a row to a goddamn bear. This time it wandered right in through the front door of my newly finished cabin that I spent ages working on and killed me right in my goddamn bed. Christ. Also the second time in a row I got killed by a bear right before winter, when the first snow started to fall, after I had spent ages stockpiling food for the winter. This game. :mad:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Couple of quick questions:

1) Can you smoke meat in a Kota?
2) Are there any mods that allow you to butcher/eat human flesh whenever you like?

Since uh, yeah I may be thinking of starting a new game as a traveling cannibal... :D

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

1) oh, smoke you said. Nah you can dry but you can't light a fire in one so it won't work

2) no, butchering is its own thing and not moddable. Best you could do is create an item in the build menu for like "man flesh" or something that consumes "* corpse" and gives you a bunch of meat

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 23, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Wait, no fires in Kota? Don't NPC ones often have dire pits in the center?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

New beta version dropped without much fanfare, I didn't even notice it. You can get it on Steam by applying for beta just like any other game. If you're a cheapskate who didn't buy the game on Steam, you'll have to wait until it gets properly released (go for the beta if you can, there's very rarely any showstopping bugs)

main highlights:

- butchering yields bones, teeth and other gross stuff
- all but removed old "ritual" system (no more ritual skill!), mostly replaced by the new style spells where you don't use it from a menu but rather do specific actions in-game
- more spells added (about 12 iirc)
- furs obtained in winter have "winter" descriptor - they always had the winter quality, which made them more valuable, but now it's shown
- male and female animals: dogs, pigs, bears, reindeer, maybe others
- animal cubs
- you can meet the "spirit of the forest" which looks like an old creepy bearded guy, I'm so going to throw a javelin at him and see what happens

all of which makes me think that animal husbandry is finally close and you'll eventually be able to be a superstitious iron age pig farmer, which is awesome

it also got a hotfix a couple days ago,

- fixed: animals who ate carcasses dropped their own bones on the spot instead of the bones of the actual eaten species

wonder how THAT worked. A wolf eating a badger carcass would then vomit up his own bones and become a slithering abomination?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm imagining a wolf eating a deer carcass and sucking all the bones up through its mouth and pooping out its own bones and becoming a deer shaped thing wearing a wolf's skin, that's some spicy nightmare fuel :gonk:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm imagining a mistaken variable pointing at the entity executing the event instead of the entity being operated on :effort:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fired this up after not playing for ages. My character is very settled, has a large homestead with a huge supply of food, some livestock, and several piles of armour and weapons. The is very handy but also boring so I set out in a mission to map the entire south. I've traveled a lot but there are still several dark splotches of unexplored land.

I wandered back and forth around one of these splotches finding nothing except empty forest. Until I ran into some robbers. I managed to seriously maim two of them but the third managed to get behind me and chop me the gently caress up with an axe. I turned around and buried my spear in his gut sending a torrent of blood gushing forth. But it was too late. Suddenly everything went black.

I awoke several hours later in a daze. The first snowfall was coming in. I was alive but seriously injured. Unable to walk and stripped of all weapons and armour save for a club and two arrows. Slowly I crawled my way toward my homestead. Since I had lost my raft and was in no shape to swim I had to take the long way around.

After about two weeks of crawling around I reached civilization. Just as I was running out of food. I crawled from village to village having the sage fix me up and trading what little I had left for food.

I made it home just as winter was setting in. Few the dogs, slathered some milkweed on the wounds, took all the shrooms I had and preceded to trip balls.

I need to take stupid risks more often.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fired this up after not playing for ages. My character is very settled, has a large homestead with a huge supply of food, some livestock, and several piles of armour and weapons. The is very handy but also boring so I set out in a mission to map the entire south. I've traveled a lot but there are still several dark splotches of unexplored land.

I wandered back and forth around one of these splotches finding nothing except empty forest. Until I ran into some robbers. I managed to seriously maim two of them but the third managed to get behind me and chop me the gently caress up with an axe. I turned around and buried my spear in his gut sending a torrent of blood gushing forth. But it was too late. Suddenly everything went black.

I awoke several hours later in a daze. The first snowfall was coming in. I was alive but seriously injured. Unable to walk and stripped of all weapons and armour save for a club and two arrows. Slowly I crawled my way toward my homestead. Since I had lost my raft and was in no shape to swim I had to take the long way around.

After about two weeks of crawling around I reached civilization. Just as I was running out of food. I crawled from village to village having the sage fix me up and trading what little I had left for food.

I made it home just as winter was setting in. Few the dogs, slathered some milkweed on the wounds, took all the shrooms I had and preceded to trip balls.

I need to take stupid risks more often.

Nice story! I didn't know they'd leave you alive, if you were in a bad enough (non-fatal) state. Did any of the men you had wounded die, when you had woken up, or did they all survive, if you remember? (Or 'survive long enough to leave, then die from their wounds', anyway)
Since I actually haven't been knocked out before, now that I think about it. I've collapsed in a fight due to exhaustion, (while my wounded enemy tried staggering away and then did the same) but never due to my wounds - or with conscious enemies around.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Holy crap, it's back. I was able to ... well, see for yourself:

yes sure, thank you... bull... :gonk:

Also I just noticed that I'm vigorous and sweating a lot while milking that bull, yessir indeed that's not awkward at all

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Purchased the steam version, spent most of yesterday evening fiddling around with it. Playing along with the tutorial, I have no idea how you're supposed to bring down game with your starting kit. Either you set a trap, sneak up on something, or come across an already wounded animal and hope whatever wounded it won't decide to snack on you.

I figured out that you can tear strips off your clothing and not lose the entire item. Welp, that solves my cord shortage. Any other useful advice?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

queserasera posted:

Purchased the steam version, spent most of yesterday evening fiddling around with it. Playing along with the tutorial, I have no idea how you're supposed to bring down game with your starting kit. Either you set a trap, sneak up on something, or come across an already wounded animal and hope whatever wounded it won't decide to snack on you.

I figured out that you can tear strips off your clothing and not lose the entire item. Welp, that solves my cord shortage. Any other useful advice?

If you are able to buy a dog, you can sic them on game. The elk will run away and get really tired. Follow the barks, and then you can run up and kill it with a spear.

Best way to find game is to go on top of a hill or mountain in the overworked and look around.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

You can make javelins - five will give you a moderate chance of killing a deer if you're good at the tracking/exhaustion mechanic. You might get a couple attempts at a shot if you sneak up to it, else you can not sneak and keep it moving until it is exhausted. Being able to wound an animal greatly increases the ease to finish the job, though.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The easiest start in the game is to pick the one that gives you fishing gear, and a starting location near a river. Upon spawning in, head to the river and stroll along it until you find some rapids (a section of the river that never freezes). Most fish in the game aren't that nutritious and you can't sustain yourself off them indefinitely, but rapids are an exception - you can catch trout and salmon in them, which are extremely large, nutritious and available year-round. If you can catch one salmon every two or three days you can pretty much break even food-wise.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The fishing is a good leisurely start but even net fishing trout is a poor man's game because you can't wear them.

The power gaming start is Not All Who Wander Are Lost. You'll often start with a dog. Enough said. Even if not you can luck into some extra tools or clothing from your dad that you could trade for a dog.

Dogs are hunting missiles. It's incredibly fun and rewarding to hunt a reindeer to exhaustion alone but it's funner to do as a trophy hunting luxury than something you need for dinner or else.

Dog or not the easiest hunts are reindeer outside of forests. They'll zig zag in circles and thus are easy to chase to exhaustion. The zig zag in circles makes them awful to chase in a forest though.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I've made a couple characters doing a couple different starts. I've noticed that a dog and an axe are crucial to early game survival. I kinda wish I could wander around like the traveling shamans in King of Dragon Pass: identify herbs, teach rituals, create minor miracles, etc.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Other than getting a dog the biggest realization for me was realizing forest hunting is a sucker's game. Even if you hit with your first arrow, prepare to dance around trees chasing this dumb deer until your eyes bleed. Bogs on the other hand have zero obstructions, easy to follow tracks, small pools that can funnel or trap game, and if you are hunting in the spring animals can sometimes even fall through the ice, making them super easy picking.

If I play again I want to make a ~death swamp~ where I fill a large bog with all sorts of nasty traps and just chase elk around it until they step on one.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

I'm terrible at hunting. Can't find big game, set deadfall traps for birds baited with fish and berries without success. Is there less game in the NW portion of the map or am I just unlucky?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

queserasera posted:

I'm terrible at hunting. Can't find big game, set deadfall traps for birds baited with fish and berries without success. Is there less game in the NW portion of the map or am I just unlucky?

Actually, I think the more North and west you go, the less wildlife you tend to find. Don't have a source for this but I recall it being discussed on the official forums.. it also depends on season, in the summer there's lots more animals. Anyways it's all about luck I'm afraid, sometimes you'll be tripping over elk after elk, sometimes even squirrels elude you.

To catch birds I find loop snares are best, followed by light deadfall traps - I put them next to crops or berry bushes, they seem to catch birds well enough even without bait.. if there are birds around, which isn't guaranteed by any means of course

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Actually, I think the more North and west you go, the less wildlife you tend to find. Don't have a source for this but I recall it being discussed on the official forums.. it also depends on season, in the summer there's lots more animals. Anyways it's all about luck I'm afraid, sometimes you'll be tripping over elk after elk, sometimes even squirrels elude you.

To catch birds I find loop snares are best, followed by light deadfall traps - I put them next to crops or berry bushes, they seem to catch birds well enough even without bait.. if there are birds around, which isn't guaranteed by any means of course

Yeah, I remember reading the same thing about the north/north-west, somewhere. I've played in the eastern area (around the centre-line of the map; not really north or south, from memory) and came across loads of animals, so I'd probably recommend starting again in a better area.
As for bird traps, I put a whole load of loop snare traps that I took off the bodies of dead Njerpez hunters right on top of berry bushes in the immediate vicinity of my cabin, to great success. I found birds there all the time - extremely low-effort and no bait/investment required, once you have the traps. (Fish nets in rapids are also good, but just make sure you check them every day or so. You'll need to trade for those at a village though, unless you luck out and nab one off a body)

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This game is cool, but I've never even gotten close to things like fighting other humans and getting armor. I thought I was doing well after I finally spent hours fishing and staying alive in a cave, but never did much else. Once I found a town with a sauna, barricaded the door, then used the climb command to be able to get in and out of the place. Nobody in the town seemed to mind, but it felt to cheesy and gamey to keep the game fun

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think animal density is 95% confirmation bias and 5% migration quirks. You can hunt well enough in Driik land or the north but animals will try to avoid encroaching winter and cities in their migrations. But also doesn't mean you don't end up with an elk in a Driik town or reindeer hanging about the frigid northern winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

This game is cool, but I've never even gotten close to things like fighting other humans and getting armor. I thought I was doing well after I finally spent hours fishing and staying alive in a cave, but never did much else. Once I found a town with a sauna, barricaded the door, then used the climb command to be able to get in and out of the place. Nobody in the town seemed to mind, but it felt to cheesy and gamey to keep the game fun

Once I started getting good with javelins and my spear, then got a raft, I'd frequently go down-river to where the Njerpez live...then I'd go "hunting" for a few days, and come back with some Njerpez scimitars as trophies :unsmigghh:
That always kept the game exciting, for me - but I guess you need to be careful and know when to stop, rather than overcommitting to a fight and getting stabbed.

• Locked thread