Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Hey ladies and nerds, it's been nine and a half hours since it's been February.

Get on my temporal level!

WELCOME TO THE CHAT THREAD, WHERE EVERYTHING IS MADE UP AND THE POINTS DON'T MATTER.
THAT'S RIGHT, THE POINTS ARE JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE IN THIS WORLD, DEVOID OF PURPOSE

Which I suppose would matter if we had points?

For those that are late -

This is a chat thread for anyone who reads AI. We talk about computers, life, how much alcohol we drink, how much pee Ricco will need to stockpile before he finally gets a decent job, where it's finally getting cold in the USA, STR amuses us with delivery driver stories, Mad Max fan fiction, cycling, pets.... just imagine this as one large garage and we are all pretending to work on some broken rear end Falcon Coupe while talking poo poo about anything that comes up. Anyone who is just wandering by, stop and say hello! We don't bite and we're a pretty chilled out bunch of normal people.

I stole half of that paragraph from cat terrist / CAT INTERCEPTOR and the January chat thread and I am not ashamed IN THE SLIGHTEST

SHINE ON YOU CRAZY GOONS
LETS LET THIS MONTH BE BETTER AIGHT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i thought we agreed on "even the titanic stopped sinking eventually"

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Enourmo posted:

i thought we agreed on "even the titanic stopped sinking eventually"

I don't remember this but that's infinitely better than my title, lemme ask IOC to change it

E: My title isn't even correct it only won 6 oscars I hosed UP

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 29, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm confused.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hi Confused, I'm Dad

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have like two weeks off at the end of this month and it's barely 3 weeks until pay day so March is looking pretty loving great right now.

...and this is the post to jinx it all.

FML

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

drat lousy Smarch weather

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

anyway

Enourmo posted:

i probably deserve the rest, but the complex im at has independent leasing, meaning they stick me in whatever room is free regardless of who's already there

i had no say in the matter, dude already lived here when i arrived. i didnt meet him til move-in day.

also re interviews, even if im not graduating for a while i still need loving internships if i wanna get a job in the industry i want. it might not be a proper, salaried, 50-weeks-a-year job but i still gotta interview for it.

E: unless things changed and "get experience you loving noob" is somehow no longer valid advice for an engineering student.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Gettin' in on the shop ground floor.

Right when I'm trying to push the process for a really nice job that could well be a seriously good career move, my freelance life finally kicks into being and suddenly someone else wants me to essentially have me on full-time retainer. I'm now pretty loving torn.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The independent leasing thing is the dumbest goddamn thing I've ever heard. Screw everything about that. I'm sorry you're in that lovely situation.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Safety Dance posted:

The independent leasing thing is the dumbest goddamn thing I've ever heard. Screw everything about that. I'm sorry you're in that lovely situation.

yeah

my mom offered to pay for a single somewhere else even though it's like $200 more a month. i turned it down cause im sick of feeling like a parasite and i want to minimize the amount of money she has to spend on me, but if i cant get this resolved i may have to change my tune come lease renewal time.

in before "lmao all this bitching and your mommy pays your rent", trust me ive heard all variations of that before, mostly from myself

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

Enourmo posted:

yeah

my mom offered to pay for a single somewhere else even though it's like $200 more a month. i turned it down cause im sick of feeling like a parasite and i want to minimize the amount of money she has to spend on me, but if i cant get this resolved i may have to change my tune come lease renewal time.

in before "lmao all this bitching and your mommy pays your rent", trust me ive heard all variations of that before, mostly from myself

dude seriously take her money

also gently caress "lease renewal time"; you have sufficient evidence of someone doing illegal poo poo to get the police involved. Find a new place you can go to with your mom's help (200 bucks a month is gently caress all compared to how much money she's already spent on you, m8 - there's no point feeling bad about being a parasite, you are one, we all are or were at some point, and that's fine as long as it's not driving your family into bankruptcy), then tell the agent at your current place what you've seen and say you want out of your lease or you'll go to the police

you will rather quickly get out of your lease, i suspect

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

US college fees are lol so anyone expecting students to pay for everything are bellends.

Free education plz, I want to go back and study engineering/physics type poo poo.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Enourmo posted:

yeah

I think you have the wrong attitude to life man, if you had a job (any job) even at min wage you would be able to support yourself even a little bit, your 30 years old man god drat. Stop making excuses for yourself and kick life in the rear end.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

88h88 posted:

US college fees are lol so anyone expecting students to pay for everything are bellends.

Or people who went to school before Reagan hosed everything up - when it was actually possible to put yourself through college waiting tables part time - and don't realize how much things have changed since the 1970s.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Geoj posted:

Or people who went to school before Reagan hosed everything up - when it was actually possible to put yourself through college waiting tables part time - and don't realize how much things have changed since the 1970s.

That too. We used to give out grants, free money if you studied. I imagine that made things less stressful...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

88h88 posted:

That too. We used to give out grants, free money if you studied. I imagine that made things less stressful...

We still do, poo poo I got half my (private) college tuition paid for on an academic grant by having a 3.9 in HS, doing pretty good (1460) on the SAT, and maintaining decent grades in college. Could have had the whole thing free if I'd gone to one of the two state schools in my home state that offered me full tuition.

Edit: My school just gave me the grant, they were like "your grades and test scores were good, so you qualify for this," it wasn't like I had to write essays about Atlas Shrugged to get it (I remember that scholarship I think because it usually came up first in listings).

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 1, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

This was for everyone though, not a scholarship deal. The good old days...

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

What does the future hold for those who are stuck 9 hours in the past?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

I think you have the wrong attitude to life man, if you had a job (any job) even at min wage you would be able to support yourself even a little bit, your 30 years old man god drat. Stop making excuses for yourself and kick life in the rear end.

well ifi can swing an engineering internship (which are typically paid, usually around $20 an hour no less), just working over summer will earn me like $10-12k. which is why im sweating that so much, it could potentially turn my situation around with way less stress than getting a full-tim min-wage job, trying to study the same as i do now, and trying to apply for an actual big-boy job.

that's why i'm so salty over the scheduling conflicts, it an actual big loss for me if I can't get something.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

4x4 panda, 45' ramps, park on roof.
1) Yes, that will work
2) The reason I know it will work is because I did, infact, actually plan out how to do so if I needed to
3) The reason I haven't done it is because I have other stuff I'm considering putting up there.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

You know what's really fun? Dealing with energy management systems that are controlled by people in Seattle and trying to track down 15 billion sensors.
You know what's even more fun? When a brand new blower motor bursts into flames after you install in a unit that requires you to take 3/4 of it apart to replace it.

Today was not my day apparently.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

literally a fish posted:

Hey ladies and nerds, it's been nine and a half hours since it's been February.

Get on my temporal level!

WELCOME TO THE CHAT THREAD, WHERE EVERYTHING IS MADE UP AND THE POINTS DON'T MATTER.
THAT'S RIGHT, THE POINTS ARE JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE IN THIS WORLD, DEVOID OF PURPOSE

Which I suppose would matter if we had points?

For those that are late -

This is a chat thread for anyone who reads AI. We talk about computers, life, how much alcohol we drink, how much pee Ricco will need to stockpile before he finally gets a decent job, where it's finally getting cold in the USA, STR amuses us with delivery driver stories, Mad Max fan fiction, cycling, pets.... just imagine this as one large garage and we are all pretending to work on some broken rear end Falcon Coupe while talking poo poo about anything that comes up. Anyone who is just wandering by, stop and say hello! We don't bite and we're a pretty chilled out bunch of normal people.

I stole half of that paragraph from cat terrist / CAT INTERCEPTOR and the January chat thread and I am not ashamed IN THE SLIGHTEST

SHINE ON YOU CRAZY GOONS
LETS LET THIS MONTH BE BETTER AIGHT?

Next month we need pics of a Falcon Coupe to fix.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Next month we need pics of a Falcon Coupe to fix.

You're so very right.

I also forgot to update that paragraph. I am the worst OP.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
It's my birthday right now IRL.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

happy march 0th

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think I feel a bout of depression on the horizon.

poo poo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

God dammit, it's not even 8 PM why the gently caress is the February thread closed already?

El Jebus posted:

How do you like it so far? I really need to upgrade but I just had to buy an emergency* 70" Vizio to play video games on...

* my 10 year old Sony 1080p rear projection tv had the lamp die again. I did get to fabricobble a new shelf for the tv, too!

It seems sturdy enough. Light years past the bottom tier Craftsman cabinet I had. I'll post up pics soonish - my gallery no longer functions thanks to my hosting upgrading both PHP and MySQL at the same time (not sure which killed it. PHP, I think) so I'll need to upload to Imgur, I guess. The size difference is comical.
It's made out of a reasonable gauge steel, good ball-bearing slides, doubled on the the deep drawers, and all the drawers have catches to keep them closed when moving. Top and bottom lock separately, with different keys. Casters work well, and two of them lock. It's at least on par with the well-regarded-for-cheap Harbor Freight large cabinets, or the similar-sized Husky boxes. It would not surprise me if the Husky boxes came out of the same factory, in fact. Nice wrikle finish - not sure if it's paint or powder coat. All of the drawers come with a perforated foam liner.
Hard to beat at the price point ($542 with tax). Even the HF set is around $600-700 + tax when on sale.

88h88 posted:

Free education plz, I want to go back and study engineering/physics type poo poo.

Yes, and ditto. I'd like to finish my degree, but I don't think I can take the time from, you know, working and supporting my family. Doubly so if I have to pay what those butt-pirates want even for a state college. My wife is getting hers, and her loans are... scary. When I started back in '88, you could go to the local state-run college (University of Texas at Arlington) for around $2K/semester!

Nice. Paint or dip?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Darchangel posted:

God dammit, it's not even 8 PM why the gently caress is the February thread closed already?

Because Australia. I mean, we let them have it because they are missing so very much that makes for a normal, civilised society. They don't even have graham crackers there, for christ's sake!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

9 more days and I can qualify for my mid-life crisis.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hi-fivin' my March birthday buddies.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Enourmo posted:

happy march 0th

Dem thyme zones tho!

Bucephalus posted:

Hi-fivin' my March birthday buddies.

:high-five emot:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Yes, and ditto. I'd like to finish my degree, but I don't think I can take the time from, you know, working and supporting my family. Doubly so if I have to pay what those butt-pirates want even for a state college. My wife is getting hers, and her loans are... scary. When I started back in '88, you could go to the local state-run college (University of Texas at Arlington) for around $2K/semester!

Speaking only for my home state, WSU is $11k/year and CWU is $9k/year. Both are fine schools in towns with cheap rent. According to http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=4000&year=1988, $4k/year in 1988 (two semesters a year, right? We had quarters at my school) is about $8200 today so I don't think things are quite so dark.

(Google says UT Arlington is about $9380/year in tuition and fees.)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

9 more days and I can qualify for my mid-life crisis.

It's gonna be insane.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
My wheels are coming...sometime this month??? Wheel guy said there was a minor delay getting the tires(MPSS what a surprise).

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lol, UT Arlington is considered a joke by the people that live near there. If you want a texas school, Baylor, UT Austin, A&M and UNT are all considered to be much better schools for the tuition it would cost.

And the titanic may have stopped going down, but your mom never will. (I'm full of terrible unfunny jokes today)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's gonna be insane.

4 more Audis, right?

Or maybe I'll go mad and get a Saab 900.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
March will be a good month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

March will be a good month

• Locked thread