Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Frank Castle is not Chris Kyle.

No, but Chris Kyle loves Frank Castle, so much so that his unit in Iraq was named The Punishers, and he used the Punisher logo for his company after he retired from the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
The Punisher emblem is boss as hell though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

redbackground posted:

I saw a bunch of these stickers to buy at a gas station yesterday:

That won't turn out well.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toph Bei Fong posted:

No, but Chris Kyle loves Frank Castle, so much so that his unit in Iraq was named The Punishers, and he used the Punisher logo for his company after he retired from the military.

Hitler liked animals and ate sugar, man.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

WickedHate posted:

Also a big fan of "moral mass murder", if I recall.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh, goody, another avatar from Dickeye.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You idiot mother fuckers, stop engaging WickedHate

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, goody, another avatar from Dickeye.
Christ, what a loving rear end in a top hat. I'm sorry dude.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's fine. I am the eternal shore, he will crash upon me and be broken.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Why decides what's moral and what's not? You are basically saying that we should get rid of the courts and have public executions

It'd be a bit like this.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Frank Castle is a jerk!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DrProsek posted:

Frank Castle is a jerk!

I wonder if longtime Punisher fans hate the Netflix version since they gave him brain damage as a way of explaining why he's doing his thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Punisher has been the universally praised part of it, I honestly haven't seen a single complaint. There was a dude in the thread that said eps 3/4 sucked which was...unusual.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They probably hate it because Frank makes mistakes and is shown to be wrong occasionally.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I've been playing with the quickest, crappiest version of the image-restyling neural network thing that's all the rage in GBS, and here's what happens when you take H. R. Giger and give it a kick of the ol' Kirby flair:

And here's what happens when you take that Giger/Kirby mash-up and use it as the style image for a different comic panel:

p neato, I thought.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WickedHate posted:

And his legacy would be completely different if his political protests had taken the form of performing songs against cruelty to animals with his band the Sugarcubes.

In-universe this is explained away later by a shittier writer as Frank being drugged in prison, despite him being lucid enough to actually formulate an escape, but this is literally Frank's moral compass and social commentary at its most bare. No pretensions that he's a cool antihero who solves problems, no violent power fantasies. Just vigilante punishment straight from the barrel.

Also, congratulations Lurdiak.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Punisher has been the universally praised part of it, I honestly haven't seen a single complaint. There was a dude in the thread that said eps 3/4 sucked which was...unusual.

I understand and agree that Netflix Frank is awesome. But as Lurdiak ssys it has him be wrong and make mistakes. And the whole thing is started by brain damage which makes sense since the guys with huge Frank Castle obsessions also appear to be brain damaged.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Squizzle posted:

I've been playing with the quickest, crappiest version of the image-restyling neural network thing that's all the rage in GBS, and here's what happens when you take H. R. Giger and give it a kick of the ol' Kirby flair:

I'd honestly like a big version without the watermark of that to hang on my wall.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

In-universe this is explained away later by a shittier writer as Frank being drugged in prison, despite him being lucid enough to actually formulate an escape, but this is literally Frank's moral compass and social commentary at its most bare. No pretensions that he's a cool antihero who solves problems, no violent power fantasies. Just vigilante punishment straight from the barrel.

You can't judge a character by every panel from every writer from every era or we'd all be putting all superheroes on trial for the horribly racist poo poo they got up to decades ago. "He shoots litterers too haha" is a really childish interpretation of the concept by whoever wrote that.

Though either way using fiction to prove a point irl is bad. I find Ennis clowning on Daredevil and Spider-Man really, really obnoxious, but I could post those panels to prove why Castle rules and they drool.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 31, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

Frank Castle is not Chris Kyle.

Theoretically speaking if someone has intense urges to do violence and the like, Punisher-ing is a good direction to aim that in, assuming it's not racially or nationalistically motivated or something.

nope. If you want to murder somebody, the correct thing to do is: don't murder

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Squizzle posted:

And here's what happens when you take that Giger/Kirby mash-up and use it as the style image for a different comic panel:

p neato, I thought.

those are just ugly messes

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

You can't judge a character by every panel from every writer from every era or we'd all be putting all superheroes on trial for the horribly racist poo poo they got up to decades ago. "He shoots litterers too haha" is a really childish interpretation of the concept by whoever wrote that.

Though either way using fiction to prove a point irl is bad. I find Ennis clowning on Daredevil and Spider-Man really, really obnoxious, but I could post those panels to prove why Castle rules and they drool.

Racism isn't illegal, but you know this and you're just fishing for responses.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

but your point is that if the fictional character the Punisher was real, that would be cool and good.

It wouldn't be, the Punisher is a Bad Guy

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The cosmos in the style of a photo of Kirby:

Kirby cosmic, best cosmic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Racism isn't illegal, but you know this and you're just fishing for responses.

We'd be judging them by those standards. My point is if you treat a character with that kind of age and varied viewpoints behind them like a real person you're setting out to take down you can cherry pick any drat thing to support your argument, and to support an argument in favor of them for that matter too. Which is more valid? Slap a Jap Superman or All Star Superman? They're not exactly the same person.

boom boom boom posted:

but your point is that if the fictional character the Punisher was real, that would be cool and good.

It wouldn't be, the Punisher is a Bad Guy

He's not real though. Thanks to the conveniences of fiction innocent people never get in the crossfire and his adventures result in a net positive for everyone involved. Obviously if someone emulated him they wouldn't have an author dictating everything work out, like how the Hulk never hurts anyone in his rampages when "if he were real" he'd leave scores dead in his wake.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Just stop, wickedhate

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

He's not real though. Thanks to the conveniences of fiction innocent people never get in the crossfire and his adventures result in a net positive for everyone involved. Obviously if someone emulated him they wouldn't have an author dictating everything work out, like how the Hulk never hurts anyone in his rampages when "if he were real" he'd leave scores dead in his wake.

So what on earth is your actual point? If you admit that a IRL Punisher would kill innocent people, even if you think some dude just murdering random criminals is totally great and cool, you should be opposed to the idea of a IRL Punisher

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

So what on earth is your actual point? If you admit that a IRL Punisher would kill innocent people, even if you think some dude just murdering random criminals is totally great and cool, you should be opposed to the idea of a IRL Punisher

I don't know how the concept of an IRL Punisher got injected into what I was saying but I never said "boy howdy if only some rando with a dead family could put on a bulletproof vest and go to town". I was objecting to the Chris Kyle comparison, or that he's bad character because Chris Kyle liked him, or because in one issue from decades he ago he tried killing someone for littering. That's it. Nothing else.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

I don't know how the concept of an IRL Punisher got injected into what I was saying but I never said "boy howdy if only some rando with a dead family could put on a bulletproof vest and go to town". I was objecting to the Chris Kyle comparison, or that he's bad character because Chris Kyle liked him, or because in one issue from decades he ago he tried killing someone for littering. That's it. Nothing else.

WickedHate posted:

Theoretically speaking if someone has intense urges to do violence and the like, Punisher-ing is a good direction to aim that in, assuming it's not racially or nationalistically motivated or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Punisher is a bad character. Chris Kyle liked him.

Not the same thought.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WickedHate posted:

Actually the idea that the correct response to societal problems like drugs and theft is execution of the individuals involved is the childish one. The panels aren't "wow, Punisher is so stupid" - they're intentionally illustrating the slippery slope of responding to every crime with punishment rather than solving the root causes. The writer's intentions are very clear when you consider that Frank moves from wounding for domestic abuse because it illustrates a violent nature of the person that may later turn to more severe violence, to punishing the abstract "crime against society" which has no direct victim, and finally opening fire on the cabby for running a red light - punishing a crime he himself directly caused to occur. It is not intended to be Spidey Super Stories: Feat. Punisher. It's direct social commentary on crime and punishment, which is what the best Punisher stories consist of - it is simply made so obvious that people nurturing violent natures cannot mistake it for endorsing their urges as correct and appropriate.

I would argue it is the most mature interpretation possible of his character, as it highlights very succinctly why and how Punisher is a broken, dangerous, man who does not belong and cannot contribute to a functioning society.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The context was Ennis' Punisher's motivations. I'm sorry you got confused about comics being talked about in the comic book forum.

Ghostlight posted:

Actually the idea that the correct response to societal problems like drugs and theft is execution of the individuals involved is the childish one. The panels aren't "wow, Punisher is so stupid" - they're intentionally illustrating the slippery slope of responding to every crime with punishment rather than solving the root causes. The writer's intentions are very clear when you consider that Frank moves from wounding for domestic abuse because it illustrates a violent nature of the person that may later turn to more severe violence, to punishing the abstract "crime against society" which has no direct victim, and finally opening fire on the cabby for running a red light - punishing a crime he himself directly caused to occur. It is not intended to be Spidey Super Stories: Feat. Punisher. It's direct social commentary on crime and punishment, which is what the best Punisher stories consist of - it is simply made so obvious that people nurturing violent natures cannot mistake it for endorsing their urges as correct and appropriate.

I would argue it is the most mature interpretation possible of his character, as it highlights very succinctly why and how Punisher is a broken, dangerous, man who does not belong and cannot contribute to a functioning society.

This is a nice point and I enjoyed reading this perspective. I still think it's kind of...cartoonish? I mean, it works if the premise is that Frank is just totally unhinged, but as I've made clear the Frank I like to read about has narrative failsafes in there. Still, good commentary.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 1, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone posts that they wouldn't want to hang out with Punisher fans and then we get a demonstration why. It's perfect.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm just glad that once again I did nothing wrong and all drama was a result of people jumping down my throat over misinterpreting what I said, as always.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't actually believe that someone as steeped in comics as WH doesn't understand the philosophical underpinning of the entire cape book genre, why heroes don't kill.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

Oh yes, 31 March. The most nefarious date in the modern calendar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHvlSgN0oIM

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I don't actually believe that someone as steeped in comics as WH doesn't understand the philosophical underpinning of the entire cape book genre, why heroes don't kill.

I don't wanna talk about this subject any deeper than an individual character because everytime it comes up and I add my opinion to the discussion it turns into a shitfest that I feel bad about causing.

Getting a plat upgrade is on my to do list tho so then maybe if anyone wants to shoot PMs back and forth that'd be neat.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
here's a cool gif I made from an episode of Batman: The Animated Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

boom boom boom posted:

here's a cool gif I made from an episode of Batman: The Animated Series

No dude this is Batman