Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Obviously, we have to say Happy New Year!

Yes, postin’ pals, March means the vernal equinox, which means the joyous celebration of Nowruz throughout Iran and Central Asia! Let’s arrange our own spread of haft-seen by chatting about these seven S’s!
  • Scorch! With the importance of fire in both Zoroastrian religious observance, and in the mostly-secularized celebration of Nowruz, let’s talk about the most :krad: examples of fire-based superpowers in comics.

• Souls! On the Eastern liturgical calendar, the fifth of the month is one of 2016’s Soul Saturdays. What better way to honor this solemn event than by discussing the Queen of Soul herself? PYF idea for a comic based on Aretha Franklin’s life or music.

• Sparrow! Well gosh dang, it’s already time for another World Sparrow Day. Yes, friends, once again it’s time for the peoples of the world to celebrate Dark Claw’s sidekick, the pugnacious metamutant Sparrow!

• Sclerosis! March is National Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Month, and you should no-bullshit donate to the National MS Society or feel free to spend the entire month, and indeed much of the rest of your natural life, hating yourself.

• Satan! Chums, it’s time to give the devil a fair shake. Post your most sympathetic comics portrayals of Ol’ Scratch, or your most balls-crazy sympathetic interpretations of portrayals that make them sympathetic.

• Seward! The 28th of the month is Seward’s Day in Alaska, celebrating William H. Seward. Let’s honor the man’s success on the Anti-Mason Party ticket by talking about the best—also, the worst—secret societies in comics.

• Sundries! This is a chat thread, so just say any goddamn thing that comes to your head in here. As well, please divert any sustained derails into here.
There you are, BSS buds. Here’s wishing you all a March that is, as the old saying goes, even more successful than Sherman's!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DrProsek

your assigned mutant of the month

of March

is

SPARROW

by whom I mean H. R. O'Damia

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Backlog.

BACKLOG.

BACKLOG.

BACKLOG.

BACKLOG.

:kheldragar:

im the *stares at pictures* the... *eyes dart all over the screen* im...theeeee... *opens images in photo editor, zooms in* i...am... *turns up screen brightness* the, uh...unswept corner? hmm, no...im actually the, erm... *furrows brow intensely* hmmmm...........

well if there's anything comical or embarrassing in those pictures, that's what i am :reject:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

itt post characters that you are certain have unironically said this troper.
  • Kitty Pryde
  • Wiccan
  • Stargirl

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Archyduke posted:

The Time Trapper while chewing walnuts.

The Legion of Superheroes should definitely battle the Time Troper.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Archyduke posted:

The Tropester, aka Creepypasta Pot Pete
:eyepop:
:glomp:

And c'mon folks, Kamala is a dorklord, but she's not insufferable enough for that. And I think she's too young to have been aware of TV Tropes at its most popular.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

So my grandpa fell and was hospitalized last sunday, and the scans showed that his cancer is back and terminal, and he's not coming back home. I've been house-sitting and helping my grandma around the house all week, and I just came back from the hospital to visit him. He looks like he's peeked at the ark of the covenant since last I saw him, and it was quite a shock.

I managed to marathon all of Breaking Bad this week to try and keep my mind off things. I punched the hospital wall on my way out like a cheap prime time drama.

Iunno. Sorry to use this thread as E/N.

I lost a few of people close to me in the past two years, and I don't know what to say except that I hope you and your family are surrounded by friends an loved ones—like, almost intrusively crowded by people who care for you, and want to help. That, and the ability to get lost in weird distractions kept us as functional human beings more than anything else. I hope you have some comfort around. If you need to talk to an internet web rando from a dying comedy forum, I'm right here.

And so is Superman.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

C'mon folks, we're talking Satan and all relevant satanoids this month! Which means I can recycle this page from last month's Reaganfest:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

tbf I can't muster the same kind of giddiness about Nancy Reagan just saying no to life as I did about the final end of Scalia. It's difficult to be as angry about a jerk-rear end aristocrat who had no special power beyond jerk-rear end aristocracy.

I'm going to just quietly allow her loved ones to mourn the passing of the former First Lady and Blowjob Queen of Hollywood.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Grant Morrison wrote part of one issue of Suicide Squad.

:crossarms:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wikis is the Great Satan, but the Public Domain Superhero wiki is more comprehensive then International Hero, and full of spectacular madness:

Doris "Iron 'The Muff' Lady" Parker posted:

Doris Parker wears pair of gloves that grant her super strength. These gloves were built by a watchmaker who gave them to an executioner. The gloves then were later bought by a rich collector, but he was killed. This collector's true identity was Walter Parker, Doris' father. Doris inherits the gloves and decides to fight crime as the Iron Lady to avenge her father's death. She hides her gloves in a white fur muff and is sometimes called "the Muff" because of this.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Persuasive scientist, or credulous idiot schoolteacher? U-DECIDE

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What the raging blind gently caress—

JOHN

QUINCY

ATOM

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

He also had a story arc on JLA (with Ron Garney) involving the Crime Syndicate, which I believe re-used the cosmic egg that Krona became trapped in at the end of the JLA/Avengers crossover. I think that was meant to lead into a longer run for him, but nothing came of it because they'd already started building up to Infinite Crisis by then.

Syndicate Rules gets some guff from the comics-reading internet hivemind, but it's the only decent story in the storm of moist farts that was the post-Kelly anthology-style JLA. The rest were all (if my memory and Wikipedia combine to form a reliable record) so, so bad: Claremont/Byrne did a dumb vampire story to led into a forgettable Doom Patrol run*; Chuck loving Austen/Garney doing a run bad for various reasons that honestly need not be mentioned beyond Chuck loving Austen; father issues/Batista on Infinite Crisis Gaiden; and Harras/who gives a poo poo with Green Arrow vs. the Key, also the League just kind of stops existing.

Between the Morrison, Waid, Kelly, and Busiek runs, plus the enormous quantity of JLA minis released at the time, you could assemble a sizable Good Stuff Only reading list for that era of the Justice League, but dear lord do you need to skip certain things, or risk vomiting to death. It's all highest highs and abysmal lows.

*HOW IN GOD'S NAME DOES ANYONE MANAGE TO MAKE A DOOM PATROL RUN BLAND?????? no, no...no...a bad, a baddest comic

very bad

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which one was that? I thought the Green Arrow vs the Key one was the Infinite Crisis tie-in.

Before that, there was an Identity Crisis tie-in which I believe was a Geoff Johns/Allan Heinberg co-write. They fight Despero and one of the Silver Age Injustice Gangs (Wizard, Star Sapphire, Floronic Man, Matter Master, Chronos and Felix Faust). Ended with Superboy-Prime blowing up the Watchtower and seemingly killing J'onn.

Yeah, I got Crises mixed up. But let me be clear that I was not wrong when I said it was a bad story.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Not to encourage the meddlesome children, but: Spider-Man draws a lot on horror/creepy/monster comics, at least visually. Motherfucker is covered head-to-toe, with not a scrap of human skin visible, plus big, creepy eyes and no other relatable facial features. He is spider-themed, which is p. horror genre in itself, but he expresses it by climbing walls, dangling around the city, and wrapping people up in webs. Peter Parker, the feckless dweebzor, isn't threatening at all, and Stan Lee's wisecracking dialogue style makes Spider-Man less intimidating to the reader—but visually, and sometimes to other characters in-setting, he totally gives off a Threat or Menace? vibe.

bobkatt013 posted:

Batman beyond is trying to be Spider-man with a batman twist. Spider-man has always been colorful and not frightening to criminals. If you want that there is Daredevil.

Batman Beyond and Invincible could be the World's Finest Spider-Mans. You could probably get a whole Big 7 Justice League of Spider-Mans together, if you stretched interpretations a little.

qntm posted:

This doesn't even get into Tan Eng Huat's run as artist.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot the, who is it, Denny O'Neill thing with the super-ape or w/e. I don't remember it being bad, but also not great...? I actually like Tan Eng Huat art, as a rule, but I remember those issues being :mediocre: at best/worst.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Imagine the conspiracy theories on the Marvel cinematic world. Like, people in Wyoming have to be forwarding each other emails saying that every Jew in New York stayed home on the day of the Chitauri invasion.

e: Vaccines cause spider-powers.

ee: Hillary Clinton murdered Bill Foster.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 10, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Great, another bunch of slap-happy new agers. :jerkbag:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Someone needs to make this their avatar:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Because it was a derail in the movie thread, and it's proper to relocate details!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Let's say you were the prettiest princess of all comics, and Empress Comica Sparklepanel gave you authority over all superhero comics, to arrange them however you wish, into a single shared universe. HOWEVER, thanks to the political machinations of the vile Baron Grognardi, you must include both the Justice League and the Avengers in this setting.

How do you distinguish the two teams?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hmm, since my hypothetical says the princess power encompasses all superhero comics, I want to say that I personally would be throwing Big Guy and Rusty onto the Avengers if they count as superheroes.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Because they thought the voice actor's Walken impression was funny. I think it's mentioned in the commentary.

On a totally unrelated note, if SA ever allows huge avs, here's a gem of an option from the funny panels thread:

e: What a terrible cropping job. Here's two minutes of effort that turned out better:

You probably want to sharpen it a little if you scale it down.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 17, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's not like he's wrong.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dr. Hurt posted:

Bss help me out. Does anyone have any YouTube clips involcing a superhero movie/recent film that involves someone showing good/bad leadership techniques? It could be a show if there are any strong candidates. Needs to be high school appropriate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m6UKS1L0YQ

Everyone can contribute, even arrow guy and the rage ogre, as long as you can help them recognize their strengths! :newlol:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bug75AfNnO8

Always have a rad beard + cape made from a mutant wolf you slew with the katana you forged from a tire iron, also know when to deal with a team member who isn't working out.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If it weren't all about a murdercrime team caper, the Task Force X episode of JLU would be full of great examples of things like coming prepared, making sure everyone else is prepared, and adapting to changing circumstances.

I guess any heist film/show should have that, though. I haven't seen it, but does Ant Man have anything like that?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

You should just assign an episode of Justice League as homework every class, with a short response paper to discuss the leadership skills shown. Work through the entire series, including JLU. :flashfact:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqStvc107-M

Your underlings are commodity chattel and you cannot hesitate to end their existence the moment they threaten to inconvenience your goals.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

In the city chat, I mentioned that I used to live in Salem, Mass and that it's literally always portrayed inaccurately, but to be fair: who cares? I understand getting smaller places, like Salem, wrong because no one is trying to do an accurate vision of them. You use Salem because you want its pop culture associations (witchcraft, Protestants, shoggoths), not because you care about nautical history or mediocre highway access or w/e. By the same token, I understand getting big, first-tier cities like New York or London wrong, because sometimes you just want the Big Best City valence and don't care about the place itself specifically.

What I don't understand is using any of the bigger, well-known, but not international marquee cities, and getting them wrong. I'm super familiar with Boston (and even more familiar with Cambridge/Somerville, since I also lived there), and have also lived in and around Philadelphia. Neither of those cities get a decent shake in pop media, usually just standing in as "northeastern but not New York". Yeah, there's a need for cities filling that role in fiction, but there are lots of other things you can do with them; and, if you're using them anyway, put at least some sort of local character into them. (DC walks the line, for me, between Iconic City and Real City. Sometimes you just want to say "here's the capital", and sometimes you want to use a mid-Atlantic swamp metropolis.)

I can only imagine what people from Chicago think about portrayals of their bullshit city and its terrible food. Anyway, all of that's not even getting down to places like, idk, St. Louis or Houston or Cleveland or whatever—places that most people don't have any strong idea of except as names on a map. Do they ever get reasonable portrayal? I honestly don't know, but I'm p. sure I can guess.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

And if anyone's wondering, yes, it does weird me out a little that every place I've lived is probably within like 40 miles at most of a place D&D superstar Fishmech has lived.

I mean I'm not saying that :fishmech: is the Heroes Reborn universe version of me or something, but

yeah

it's probably true.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Accurate Boston would be to have every scene in a bar (but not on a Sunday) and the only thing anyone talks about are the Bruins and Patriots.

Celtics if it's a period piece.

Blue-collar Boston, yeah, but greater Boston has the starkest cultural class divides of anywhere I've lived. (Although I have wonderful memories of trying to answer a possibly blackout drunk working-class hockey fan's probing, insightful questions about my academic field on a long commuter rail T ride. A Good Train Ride.) There's a lot of great/terrible Boston culture to dig into, in fiction that evinces even a casual interest in culture.

Rhyno posted:

Oh no you didn'

I'd do it again in a heartbeat, also. Chicago declined as tommygun use did.

Archyduke posted:

My favorite unrealistic Philly comics moment is when Venom lived there and was checking out some warehouses and found crime instead of 18 22-year old Penn graduates making Kenneth Brakhage movies and letting dogs piss on everything.

ty for this post, it has brought much joy to my life

Aphrodite posted:

Nothing ever takes place in Montreal.

When I was 19 and broke, I was in a South Jersey diner with some friends at 3 AM one summer night, when the conversation turned to how fun it'd be to visit Montreal at some point. Somehow we talked ourselves into doing it that night, so the four of us left the diner, called our families to say we wouldn't be home that night, and drove up to Montreal for the day. It was an amazing experience, except when we were going to leave and two cars got into a v. bad accident about thirty feet (44⅓ Canadian feet) in front of us. But no one died, and injuries we could see were limited to a compound fracture (which my friend sacrificed the one nice tie he owned to try to wrap, hilariously inexpertly), so I still have very positive associations with the entire experience and the city of Montreal itself.

If I'm ever Lord of Comics, I will put something :krad: in Montreal.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, home town portrayals in comics. Well, I think there was a Spider-Man comic from the 1980s where Peter and a colleague visited Belfast on an assignment for the Bugle and the summary of the Troubles read a bit like it had been written by NORAID.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQJrovKgrTw

FutureFriend posted:

i think the most i've seen amsterdam mentioned in any media whatsoever its either "fancy european place" or "den of sin/stoner nirvana".

I once changed planes in Amsterdam! The airport had amazing urinals.

zoux posted:

The lab where Extremis was invented was in Austin.

more like

right

right?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Well, you are a good poster and Fishmech is a bad one, so this works.

tyvm

You are also a good poster, imo.

Endless Mike posted:

It's a crappy, rainy day, so after getting some errands done this morning, I've been spending it hitting my backlog! So far I have finished Starman Omnibus vol. 6 (I've had it sitting with like three issues left because I didn't want to finish) then read through Scott Pilgrim Color Edition vol. 6 since I figured I could ge tthrough that reasonably quickly. Gonna read Original Sin next.

How does Scott Pilgrim in color compare to the b&w, as a reading experience? Does it gain a lot, or what?

And citychattin', but Starman reminds me that Baltimore has some ace as gently caress depictions in non-comics media (or as I call them, the lesser arts!!!!!!). Robinson's Opal City is about the closest superhero comics, and possibly comics in general, come to really digging into Baltimore, though, isn't it?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Montreal has its own super team already.

Is the greatest superhero of Montreal a member? I'm talking, ofc, about :siren: STALLION CANUCK :siren:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

btw his non-super name is Elijah Hoss

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

^Just fyi if we could buy namechanges for other posters, you would get one of those, Lurdiak.

Rhyno posted:

In Chicago for c2e2 and the hotel we're staying at just booted a room for sneaking 18 loving people in to split the room cost.

The best part were the shrill voices of the complaining nerds screaming in the hall earlier.

Were they stacked like cordwood on the floor? :psyduck: How did they plan to have everyone get time in the bathroom for showering and such? :psypop: How did they get to the point of having nine people agreeing to share the room and all decide "no, no—this is clearly not enough, we could definitely double this, this idea is not already bad and we would not make it ten times worse with twice as many people"? :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Lots of people at cons don't shower. It's not just a stereotype.

:gonk: I simply do not understand some things that people do.

• Locked thread