Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I read through all of Copperhead Vol 1 Sunday. This whole "reading my huge-rear end backlog" thing would help me get more on top of my funnybook reading but so far it has just lead to me blitzing through an entire volume the last Sunday of each month. I'll pick a few books and ask which to read some time in the next couple days.

Copperhead I really liked for reasons I can't really put my finger on. Westerns in space isn't exactly a novel premise, but eh, art was pretty, writing works, and I'm a sucker for sci fi stuff :shobon:.

Unrelated: I'm moving in a month and I am not looking forward to moving my comic collection. I don't even care that much about their condition or anything like that (the most valuable book I own is an X-Statix omnibus for $40) but I don't really have any plans for moving them other than "toss every book I have into a small suitcase" which I'm fairly sure is going to end up with a book or two getting torn up in the car ride over to the new place :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Squizzle posted:

DrProsek

your assigned mutant of the month

of March

is

SPARROW

by whom I mean H. R. O'Damia

Be honest here, is this a truly random pick, or do you have issues of Blackwulf you're trying to unload? Because if so, joke's on you, I found it somewhere online :smugbert:... and now I can read Blackwulf

yay :shepface:

Speaking of random picks, my random choices for DrProsek's 2016 Backlog Reading for March:

DC: Supergirl vol 1 by Michael Green

Marvel: Alpha Flight vol 1 by Greg Pak

Non-Big 2: Invisible Republic vol 1 by Gabriel Hardman

Nuclear Option: Burn all 3 books, start again.

(For anyone wondering what this is, I bought a bunch of TPBs in 2015 that I never got around to so for 2016 I'm trying to get through at least 1 a month. These three are three random unread TPBs in my collection. If nobody cares I'll just roll a dice :v:)

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 2, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-O posted:

I love Invisible Republic. It's a good read.

Endless Mike posted:

Invisible Republic because I've never heard of it.

I really ought to do this. In fact, when I get home, I'll grab some books and make this thread pick one!

Invisible Republic it is :tipshat:. I meant to add this to my pulllist but forgot until it was already like 5 issues in. All I remember about it is it's about a journalist writing a piece on Space Hitler 30XX which had me sold enough to buy the TPB (also I was looking for something on Amazon to fill a ~$10 gap before I got free shipping).

I was considering making a Backlog reading thread but never really bothered to check if there was any interest in it. If other people are trying to burn through their backlogs, I could start a thread about it so the chat thread doesn't get weighed down by it. :v:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Hah, you think THAT'S crazy?

...aaand that's it :downs:. That's the entirety of my physical collection minus a few books I have at my parents' house. I'd say a good 60 to 75% of this is backlog (the Marvel stuff I'm like 50/50, the DC/Vertigo and Misc stuff I'm like 60-75% unread). If anyone's wondering what's wrong with my collection, I blame buying books dirt cheap at garage sales, impulsive cart stuffing on Amazon when I'm close to the 25/35$ threshold, and not knowing what the hell I was doing very early on.

Thread'll be up some time tomorrow or Friday afternoon :c00lbert:.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 3, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

That is unhealthy. Only two omnibuses.

And both of them Marvel! Not now obviously but once my backlog gets trimmed a bit, gotta get the 52 Omnibus or something. :v:

WickedHate posted:

Goddamn, I'd kill for that X-Statix.

It's the omnibus I'm most happy with owning. Although on the other hand, buying an omnibus that collects a bunch of issues I read within the last year or so via Marvel Unlimited might not have been the brightest idea I've ever had.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

zoux posted:

I'm all digital baby.

Omnis are such a pain in the rear end to read in those hardbound 600 page editions.

You don't understand, its cheaper to defend your home with 3 1000+ page omnis than it is to use a single gun with bullets.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Jubilee
Stephanie Brown
Deadpool

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I guess you could say if you're at the point of saying "this troper" then you're probably doing more than just browsing the site, but I just took the question to mean "which characters probably spend more time than they should on TV Tropes", and characters like Kamala or Wiccan or Stephanie Brown seem like they'd fit the bill.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Just wanna start off saying sorry to hear about your grandpa Lurdiak :( totally feel free to use this thread as E/N, Chat thread's here for ya.

Squizzle posted:

tbf I can't muster the same kind of giddiness about Nancy Reagan just saying no to life as I did about the final end of Scalia. It's difficult to be as angry about a jerk-rear end aristocrat who had no special power beyond jerk-rear end aristocracy.

I'm going to just quietly allow her loved ones to mourn the passing of the former First Lady and Blowjob Queen of Hollywood.

She did help popularize gay conversion camps with her endorsement of them. I agree though that "helped popularize a thing by endorsing it" isn't nearly as evil or at least not as direct an evil as going to work every day and actively voting for/implementing reactionary policies so I can't really be as excited or laugh at hard at Nancy's death.

E: Also, Scalia was still actively a Supreme Court Justice. Nancy had stopped being first lady decades ago.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 7, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Ferrule posted:

Please do not bring clones back into the Spider-verse.

gently caress you, bring back Kaine. :colbert:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Are the Avengers supposed to be an international organization, or an American organization with international jurisdiction? They respond to threats all over, but the Avengers tower is in New York, the New York branch of the Avengers closing results in the entire Avengers network falling into disarray, I can't think of any major Avengers facilities outside of America, etc.

Also, I'd love to see the obvious merger of Young Avengers into the Teen Titans.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

If this hypothetical includes all comic heroes, I'd want Angela (Marvel) to cross over with Angela (Spawn) and have things get really weird.

RE: Cap/Bat, I'd imagine Batman would be initially not a fan of Captain America but would probably like him a lot when he actually met him and realized his current views on killing, see he's more than just a nationalistic symbol, etc. Bruce would probably still feel his ways are best but I'd see him having a strong respect for Steve.

Steve meanwhile would barely be able to tell Batman apart from the dozens of masked unpowered vigilantees. Not that he has anything against them, but to Steve, Batman would probably just seem like Daredevil but with more money and somehow be even less fun to talk to.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I am 25 and have never heard of Turbo Teen and never seen MASH. I have no idea what MASH is about other than I know it's a real popular show.

These are my MASH opinions.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I just got a 5 minute lecture on the evils of homosexuality from an angry lady who also made sure to tell me that I'm going to hell for selling smut.

This is what set her off.

Was she there to buy anything, or did she just come in, find a random issue that I don't think more than 20,000 people read world wide just to yell about it?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I dreamt Sam Wilson was Hillary's running mate. His bird was the subject of an attack ad.

Please stop leaking the plot of Vote Loki via your dreams, thank you.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Who's Marvel's Trump?

Tony Stark, if he ever decided to get into politics.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I don't really have much in universe evidence to back this up but Stark just seems like the kind of guy who you never notice his really lovely opinions because he can't really do much with them, but if he ran for office where he could actually have legal authority over America, his terrible opinions would all just come flowing out.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

The greatest Green Lantern is actually Jade.

(I have not read any Green Lantern and just picked a random name off the list of characters Wikipedia assured me were Green Lantern)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Chaos Hippy posted:

Jade is not actually a Green Lantern. She has Green Lantern powers as a result of being Alan Scott's daughter, but she doesn't need a ring and was only tangentially connected to the Corps last time I checked (which was years ago).

Are you telling me Wikipedia lied to me? Because I can't handle that right now.

Pretend I said the greatest Green Lantern is Simon Baz then. I have never read anything with him nor seen any poster or character reference him existing and only know he exists because the Wikipedia article told me so, therefore he's probably the most competent Green Lantern by virtue of not being around to gently caress things up.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Madkal posted:

If you are willing to wait I am going to a comic-con next month and can have a look around there for it.

Goon question testing time. Which character that has been around for 20 years or more has never had a bad costume? If a character has only had one costume in that span of time they are disqualified.

I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and say Ghost Rider (and for added fun let's say all the Ghost Riders count, Johnny Blaze, Danny Ketch, Alejandra Jones, Robbie Reyes, any other riders I'm forgetting). All I know is Johnny's regular and old 70s outfit, Alejandra's one outfit, and Robbie Reyes' one outfit.

Go ahead thread, impress me with bad Ghost Rider outfits.

More serious answer: up until ANAD Marvel, Magik.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Madkal posted:

Depends how you feel about Vengeance but I think he is hot trash

Pretty much a "let's crank everything cool about Ghost Rider to the XXXXXtreme!!!"

I freely admit my tastes are probably garbage, but my feelings on this is "as far as low points go for such an old character, that's pretty good" :v:. If any of the Ghost Riders looked like that today that'd be a problem but as far as surviving the 90s goes I've seen worse.

Another unironic answer: Taskmaster. He has had exactly 2 costumes and they were both not bad (though the Udon one is not nearly as good as the classic costume)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

If you took off the gloves I'd call it unironically decent. Or just made the gloves way smaller. Elbow length gloves plus sleeveless onesie looks really weird.

Edge & Christian posted:

Ghost Rider had this look around the same time:

Some of them could be chalked up to "bad artist" more than "bad design" but a lot of them have looked pretty dumb over the decades.

I appreciate that artist's attempt to offset how bad GR looks there with a giant creepy baby doll face, but I'm gonna go with a bad design. Ghost Rider's out :buddy:.

Lurdiak posted:

Now you've done it.

I'm on break from school, my deployment for work tonight was cancelled, I GOT NOTHING BUT BAD OPINIONS AND TIME TO KILL :dukedog:. Colossus has never had a bad costume. Even his Acolyte costume wasn't bad by 90s standards.

Inverse response: X-23 has never had a good costume. The yellow and blue Wolverine costume is okay, not as bad as it looked in the ANAD promo image, but the best she has ever gotten was "okay" costumes.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

WickedHate posted:

Sometimes I feel like more people have me on ignore than before lately, and it makes me disappointed because I like talking about comics beyond the typical "they should all kill" argument I keep having that annoys everyone. I'm a social butterfly and must spread my wings.

I'm really excited for DC! Like, tons of positivity. So much positivity!

I was gonna talk to you 'till you talked poo poo about Harper Row :colbert:

(:buddy: I'm kidding of course, she's just a likable character whose ridiculous character design I like, you're free to dislike whoever/find them redundant)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I finished reading Invisible Republic Vol 1 for my "one backlogged book per month" goal. I really liked it, it's basically everything I wanted out of a book pitched to me as "a journalist investigating minihitler on a moon in the sci fi future". It's told as a framed story jumping between a journalist in the sci fi future who is trying to report on the rise of the new dictator who overthrew the last one, and the journal of the cousin of the new dictator, set ~40 years prior to the present day of the book. The artwork reflects the time shifts with the present being all in cool, dark colors while the past is in warm colors. I really like the artwork, I'm very bad at explaining why but it's very dark and "sketchy" in a way that works well for the book.

It's a very story-driven book with a planned 50 issues (Vol 1 is 5 issues, there are 9 issues out with #10 in April) so it's still early into the story making it kinda hard to really evaluate how strong the story is and the modern day journalist protagonist isn't really all that developed but even if he remains that way I'm still more than interested in the series and the journal plotline. It fills a good niche none of the books I'm currently reading fills (and now that Marvel has cancelled some books I got spots on my pull list that could use filling). Of all the books I've read from my backlog it felt like the fastest/easiest one to get through.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Squizzle posted:

what the devil—

Part of the All-New Rebirth relaunch we got going on in BSS. March now has 31 days, February and January have merged to form Jebuary, and Xotsender is a new month inserted between June and July so the J months can catch a break.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Frank Castle is a jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

WickedHate posted:

No dude this is Batman

No he's clearly not, Batman has pointy ears on his cowl.

• Locked thread