Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I watched that Juctice League Gods and Monsters movie. It was alright. Stuff like people getting smooshed and Superman saying "orgasm" didn't seem necessary tho. Like they only did that stuff cause they weren't on TV anymore and nobody could say no. Also, lol at the big threat being Dr. Magnus doing the Human Instrumentality Project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

Hernan is the best Superman ever, next to All Star.

not really

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
this is the worst conversation

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

Kamala writes real person fanfiction.

without their consent. Pretty gross, imo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

boom boom boom typed, a tub of crisco at the ready. Tonight was the night where he finally dared to live his dreams.

lol if you think I've never eaten a tub of crisco before

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Justice League War kinda sucks.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
didanybody read those new Prometheus/Alien/Predator comics? were they any good?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm gonna complain about justice league war. The first big thing that the Justice League does together is punch a bad guy a lot. At first they're all doing different stuff, working on the Mother Box mystery, but that gets dropped pretty quickly so they can all punch the bad guy. They punch him over and over again. They punch him in so many different ways. But then Superman gets captured! Because he's the best at punching, and Batman is the worst. Superman gets captures so he won't show up everyone else, and batman goes to rescue him so he won't be shown up by everyone else.

while they're away, the punching continues, but is ineffective. That's when they come up with a new plan to beat the bad guy. Cut out his loving eyes. This is the plan the superheroes comes up with to save the world. Cut out a dude's loving eyes. And they do, they stab him in the eyes. Yay.

and while I'm on that topic, the superheroes find out that the bad guys are innocent people turned into cyborgs. Not a single one of them even so much as idly wonders if they can be saved. The heroes just continue murdering them, the knowledge that they are killing slaves has zero effect on the behavior of the superheroes.

Also, Cyborg is there. to press the off button. Oh no, he can't get a cell signal, how will this efffec- oh no, he got one, it's fine. Good thing they devoted so much of the running time to Cyborg, no one's favorite hero.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
It's so dumb I had to double check the wikipedia plot synopsis to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering. Superman getting captured adds literally nothing to the plot, except to delay the ending. It really is just because the entire conflict with the villain is all punching, and Superman is too strong and Batman too weak. So they had to be somewhere else while the punching was going on, and could be brought back when it was time for the movie to end

what a piece of poo poo.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Squizzle posted:

I can only imagine what people from Chicago think about portrayals of their bullshit city and its terrible food. Anyway, all of that's not even getting down to places like, idk, St. Louis or Houston or Cleveland or whatever—places that most people don't have any strong idea of except as names on a map. Do they ever get reasonable portrayal? I honestly don't know, but I'm p. sure I can guess.

There's a scene in Breaking Bad that takes place in Houston. It's mostly indoors, but at one point you get a good look outside a window, and it's like, the opposite of Houston. They pretty clearly just filmed in Albuquerque. The only time you see cactus in Houston is if it's somebody's ornamental prickly pear

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

Nothing ever takes place in Montreal.

there's a sci-fi anime on right now set in the future where the Earth has been divided up into three economic blocks, and the capital of the American block is Edmonton.

It features what I believe to be the first dramatic reveal of the Edmonton skyline in history.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Skeematic posted:

What one? I live in Edmonton and haven't heard of it.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans

It's real good.

They don't mention Edmonton until the 22nd episode tho, so don't go in expecting hardcore Edmonton fanservice right off the bat

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Not the worst fictional event to befall Sydney

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder if there are belgian or chinese comics where the US superhero is named like HAMBURGER SWAT TEAM or PRESIDENT FOOTBALL.

look at this dude, not knowing about Texas Mack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nujP0ghAoho

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
where do Atlanteans pee?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Just watched Justice League Throne of Atlantis. Aquaman and Mera both have super strength, but Aquaman can talk to fish and Mera can loving control water. why is Aquaman in the Justice League instead of Mera? Her powers are so much better.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

Mera doesn't want to be in the Justice League.

they didn't even invite her.

But, the scene was set up with the Justice League talking about their plans and stuff, and then Superman says, "maybe we should invite Arthur" and then the camera moves and you see that Aquaman was standing ten feet away the whole time, so I guess it was kind of obvious that he wanted in

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rhyno posted:

And the deeper he got in the ocean the stronger he got.

That is literally the least useful power ever.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Also, upgrading "can talk to fish" to "can telepathically control fish" only matters if there was a problem with Aquaman telling fish to do stuff and the fish refusing.

Were there situations where Aquaman was stymied by uncooperative fish?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
just to be clear, I'm not arguing that Aquaman's powers suck, just that Mera's powers are not only much more impressive in general, but are specifically much more useful for someone who will regularly be called to do heroic things above sea level.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
that's a good line-up, but all woman teams always seem gimmicky to me.

Rhyno posted:

The way it was always portrayed was she was only a little super strong and he was like, mega super strong.

But Aquaman is only half Atlantean, and he grew up on the surface. He should be super weak, comparatively.

Also, being able to control water is a power that more thank makes up for only having a little super strength

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rhyno posted:

Him being a hybrid is what made him so powerful. And she could never really do much back in the day, make a water wall or a wave or some poo poo.

if anything, Aquaman being a hybrid should just make him sterile. And making a wall of water is still more useful for surface heroics than telepathic control of fish. That just requires being close to a source of water, as opposed to in it, and isn't limited by the choice of fish available at the time.

Nope, Mera is way better than Aquaman. I won't be moved.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

OK, I'm not on the "Aquaman is lame" train, but it's difficult not to be when the example of him being great that you offer is Aquaman beating up the Wonder Twins

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

muscles like this? posted:

It's one of those things that in retrospect is pretty obviously someone's fetish but back when it was made people didn't think/know about that stuff so it just looked like a weird cartoon.

I think it was just a weird dumb idea. Kids like cars, kids like cool teens, why not both?!

Maybe you look at Turbo Teen and think "wow, hard to believe that when we were little we didn't understand that this is erotic"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Rhyno posted:

Hilariously she was looking for the Rick & Morty comic for her son.

those aren't very good

muscles like this? posted:

It was stuff like how he only turned into a car when he got all excited or hot and changed back by cooling down.

like the Hulk?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Aphrodite posted:

The other 3 options are a gimmick that only works so long, the only person more boring than Hal Jordan, and someone else's Mary Sue. It's not a good list.

John Stewart owns, is one of the best characters in DC, and is literally the most powerful Green Lantern. Don't be fooled just because a lot of writers don't know how to write for him and just fall back on "ex-marine"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Also, you forgot the new guy. The Muslim dude in a balaclava with a gun.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Did they change Doomsday's origin? Is he still a Kryptonian experiment?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's Zod mixed with Lex's blood which makes the Kryptonian ship mutate Zod into Doomsday for some reason.
He grows the spiney parts when he gets damaged.

if you're actually watching the movie, does that seem less dumb than it sounds?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
the ignore list is for the weak

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lurdiak posted:

Those Batman stories aren't really events though. They're just kinda storylines.

a bunch of ongoing comics suddenly started telling one large story, with a special banner on the covers and a reading order checklist and everything. That's what an event is

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

Frank Castle is not Chris Kyle.

Theoretically speaking if someone has intense urges to do violence and the like, Punisher-ing is a good direction to aim that in, assuming it's not racially or nationalistically motivated or something.

nope. If you want to murder somebody, the correct thing to do is: don't murder

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Squizzle posted:

I've been playing with the quickest, crappiest version of the image-restyling neural network thing that's all the rage in GBS, and here's what happens when you take H. R. Giger and give it a kick of the ol' Kirby flair:

And here's what happens when you take that Giger/Kirby mash-up and use it as the style image for a different comic panel:

p neato, I thought.

those are just ugly messes

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

You can't judge a character by every panel from every writer from every era or we'd all be putting all superheroes on trial for the horribly racist poo poo they got up to decades ago. "He shoots litterers too haha" is a really childish interpretation of the concept by whoever wrote that.

Though either way using fiction to prove a point irl is bad. I find Ennis clowning on Daredevil and Spider-Man really, really obnoxious, but I could post those panels to prove why Castle rules and they drool.

but your point is that if the fictional character the Punisher was real, that would be cool and good.

It wouldn't be, the Punisher is a Bad Guy

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

He's not real though. Thanks to the conveniences of fiction innocent people never get in the crossfire and his adventures result in a net positive for everyone involved. Obviously if someone emulated him they wouldn't have an author dictating everything work out, like how the Hulk never hurts anyone in his rampages when "if he were real" he'd leave scores dead in his wake.

So what on earth is your actual point? If you admit that a IRL Punisher would kill innocent people, even if you think some dude just murdering random criminals is totally great and cool, you should be opposed to the idea of a IRL Punisher

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

WickedHate posted:

I don't know how the concept of an IRL Punisher got injected into what I was saying but I never said "boy howdy if only some rando with a dead family could put on a bulletproof vest and go to town". I was objecting to the Chris Kyle comparison, or that he's bad character because Chris Kyle liked him, or because in one issue from decades he ago he tried killing someone for littering. That's it. Nothing else.

WickedHate posted:

Theoretically speaking if someone has intense urges to do violence and the like, Punisher-ing is a good direction to aim that in, assuming it's not racially or nationalistically motivated or something.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
here's a cool gif I made from an episode of Batman: The Animated Series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Archyduke posted:

What is this actually from. I will watch the adventures of gun-hat.

Orguss 02. No connection to the first Orguss you don't need to watch it first.

gun-hat is the best character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsTgWCZNk-0

• Locked thread