Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The Time Trapper while chewing walnuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

The Tropester, aka Creepypasta Pot Pete

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Do not think Captain Cold was ever on the squad

The Writer aside, Captain Cold was in the Suicide Squad. He was around for a few issues in the late teens or early twenties of the Ostrander run. It's neat. He fights a fire guy and says some kind of quip along the lines of "Hate is cold-- hell is cold-- and I'm CAPTAIN Cold!" which was so cool to me as a little kid because whoa, here's a guy saying "hell."

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I wonder if there's a couple out there with matching Wasp and Yellowjacket tattoos.

A polyamorous free-love cult where everybody is tattooed with a different Hank Pym or Janet Van Dyne costume. When they run out of costumes... in 2035 or whenever... well buddy, that's when the world ends.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Someone needs to make this their avatar:

I will bear this burden.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Squizzle posted:

In the city chat, I mentioned that I used to live in Salem, Mass and that it's literally always portrayed inaccurately, but to be fair: who cares? I understand getting smaller places, like Salem, wrong because no one is trying to do an accurate vision of them. You use Salem because you want its pop culture associations (witchcraft, Protestants, shoggoths), not because you care about nautical history or mediocre highway access or w/e. By the same token, I understand getting big, first-tier cities like New York or London wrong, because sometimes you just want the Big Best City valence and don't care about the place itself specifically.

What I don't understand is using any of the bigger, well-known, but not international marquee cities, and getting them wrong. I'm super familiar with Boston (and even more familiar with Cambridge/Somerville, since I also lived there), and have also lived in and around Philadelphia. Neither of those cities get a decent shake in pop media, usually just standing in as "northeastern but not New York". Yeah, there's a need for cities filling that role in fiction, but there are lots of other things you can do with them; and, if you're using them anyway, put at least some sort of local character into them. (DC walks the line, for me, between Iconic City and Real City. Sometimes you just want to say "here's the capital", and sometimes you want to use a mid-Atlantic swamp metropolis.)

I can only imagine what people from Chicago think about portrayals of their bullshit city and its terrible food. Anyway, all of that's not even getting down to places like, idk, St. Louis or Houston or Cleveland or whatever—places that most people don't have any strong idea of except as names on a map. Do they ever get reasonable portrayal? I honestly don't know, but I'm p. sure I can guess.

My favorite unrealistic Philly comics moment is when Venom lived there and was checking out some warehouses and found crime instead of 18 22-year old Penn graduates making Kenneth Brakhage movies and letting dogs piss on everything.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

gently caress tha Police is nearly 28 though? It's almost ten years older for us than Let It Be was for it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I think Magneto's typically looked pretty slick. You could make a case for his sleeveless New Mutants headmaster costume being kind of goofy but I think it was always well-served by the pencilers in charge of drawing it. I'm no Flash expert but I like every variant I'm familiar with in that case too, from the terrific Golden Age Mercury helmet to the little tweaks ever since.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I don't know, I still think it rules. Smart to take away the helmet for his turn as a good-guy, and the little peaky Quicksilver hair is iconic. Love him sleeveless with a slightly narrower cape too, without the classic metal gorget thing. It made him look less imperious and menacing than his villain costume but the bare arms still kept him physically imposing. Does it need to be a onesie necessarily? No, no... but all the same. Those shoulder points! I stand by this costume as Certified Rad.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

DrProsek posted:

If you took off the gloves I'd call it unironically decent. Or just made the gloves way smaller. Elbow length gloves plus sleeveless onesie looks really weird.

I appreciate that artist's attempt to offset how bad GR looks there with a giant creepy baby doll face, but I'm gonna go with a bad design. Ghost Rider's out :buddy:.

I'm on break from school, my deployment for work tonight was cancelled, I GOT NOTHING BUT BAD OPINIONS AND TIME TO KILL :dukedog:. Colossus has never had a bad costume. Even his Acolyte costume wasn't bad by 90s standards.

Inverse response: X-23 has never had a good costume. The yellow and blue Wolverine costume is okay, not as bad as it looked in the ANAD promo image, but the best she has ever gotten was "okay" costumes.

I don't think his costume as The Proletariat is anything to write home about but that's just such a lovably dumb plot-beat that I'm willing to look past the overalls and slouch cap.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

e: I initially posted this in the Marvel thread by mistake, sorry!

For whatever reason I wound up reading the last arc of the Paul Kupperberg Vigilante run which, notoriously, ends at issue #50 with the titular faux-Punisher killing himself. It brought to mind the ending of the Ostrander Suicide Squad which of course ends with Count Vertigo deciding not to kill himself (or, you know, have Deadshot kill him). That felt like a very fitting note to end the series on-- not just closing with a character choosing nonviolence, but also with a character choosing their own wellbeing instead of the structures of dependency and abuse that series dealt with. That is, it didn't feel like Ostrander trashing his own series, but giving it an unexpectedly hopeful ending.

Vigilante], though, really feels like Kupperberg's intended take-away was "hey, gently caress the Vigilante. gently caress this series. gently caress the Punisher and Bertie Goetz and Dirty Harry." Which, like, I'm right there with him, but it felt truly bizarre to have the whole thing end in such a blatantly self-lacerating way. Have any other big-two series ended with such a firm denunciation of its central premise? Particularly less in like a "this was a cautionary tale"/"this was a tragedy" way and more like "the previous 50 issues were a waste of your time. Go outside" kind of way?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Druid ended with Hellstorm (Warren Ellis's other recent Marvel book, freshly canceled) show up, roundly beat Druid and the final lines of the book are:

Young Liars ended messily and at one point has a main character(?) describe his career/the book thusly:
It's all over now, thank god. I was so sick of it all. I mean what was the point? Nobody got it anyway. How hard do you have to work before somebody gives you a chance? People say I'm a liar, that I'm a hipster, a poseur, a phoney. "He's full of poo poo," they say. Just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. One guy even described me as "masturbatory". Did you ever stop and think? Did you ever once stop and think? Maybe the problem is you.
I particularly like this one because it's all directly from the one guy on the podcast I used to do that hated Young Liars.

I'm not sure if these are exactly what you're looking for.
[/quote]

I haven't thought about Druid or Hellstrom in years. I recall both of them fitting into that sort of Ellis protagonist mold, but there's not even a hint of any affection for Dr. Druid throughout the whole series. He really does get completely torn down by the end, but he's really not any more loathesome than your average Ellis guy. I think if anything his Dr. Druid is set apart by being uncharacteristically uncynical, but again, it's been a really long time.

If nothing else I'd be interested in revisiting those two runs in light of Patsy Walker being more prominent now than she's ever been. I recall that subplot being rough.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Score another victory for me, and another bitter defeat for the do-gooders of BSS!

Whenever I see that costume I think he's a Rocket Red for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

here's a cool gif I made from an episode of Batman: The Animated Series

What is this actually from. I will watch the adventures of gun-hat.

• Locked thread