Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Te Huna v Marquardt was one of my favorite fights because of size difference, intros, and then the sheer domination by the little guy the entire fight.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jones and Holm watching Condit/Lawler

http://www.mma-core.com/videos/UFC_Full_Blast_With_Jon_Jones_At_UFC_195_Awesome_Behind_The_Scenes_Footage_With_Holly_Holm/10123171

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Lawler has been in so many wars don't no how much longer his chin will hold out.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Brutal Bob gets severely wobbled multiple times in almost every 5 rounder he's in too. I mean Rory had him beat on the cards, its just a matter of time before someone figures out how to avoid his flurries enough that they either counter him and win or decision him. I think Wonderboy could be the guy to do it.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Gunnar Nelson is fighting Albert Tumenov on the Rotterdam card in May.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
The boy becomes a man. Happy 20th birthday to Super Sage Northcutt

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Bubba Smith posted:

Does your phone send you alerts when someone mentions ryan bader in the thread?

That and when people pretend Lyoto Machida is a good fighter

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The way dropped mouthguards get handled is often so ridiculous. Why was Herb turning to look for the mouthguard when he hasn't called 'time' during a break in the action. The ref should wait until a break in the action, call time, then go find the mouthguard.

I think Bisping outboxed Anderson most of the fight. Bisping showed good discipline in not chasing after Anderson when he started to back up and dodge the shots. One of Anderson's biggest strengths is his ability to nail guys as they stretch to continue to hit someone, and put their chins up in the air.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best bit is hearing those thuds in the fight audio from the punches. Sounds like thunderclaps at times.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

Gunnar Nelson is fighting Albert Tumenov on the Rotterdam card in May.

This is a good fight.

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

n8r posted:

The way dropped mouthguards get handled is often so ridiculous. Why was Herb turning to look for the mouthguard when he hasn't called 'time' during a break in the action. The ref should wait until a break in the action, call time, then go find the mouthguard.

5 second rule

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Nifft posted:

Lawler has been in so many wars don't no how much longer his chin will hold out.

I still can't believe that Brutal Bob has had back to back vicious brawls for these last 2 years straight and still looks like an absolute world beater

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Also very glad to see Dominick back in the champion ranks. The world is right again

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Wonderboy is still trapped in the Philippines and now they're hitting his hands with sticks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AYUsS6p7wQ

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Foul Fowl posted:

i think the myth of anderson's elusiveness is also enhanced by his chin, since even when he did get hit he could pretend like he didn't. iirc vitor clocked him with a charging flurry and it literally didn't even register, so the story of the fight became that anderson was an unhittable superman with a foot like a nuclear bomb (which was only like 80% true)

How was anderson being elusive a myth

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

n8r posted:

no the ref should not call a time out to get a mouth piece. there shouldnt be any ways for a fighter to induce a time out. picking it up is a good idea because there shouldnt be poo poo on the ground be sides slippery logos, ice and blood

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Dangersim posted:

How was anderson being elusive a myth

yeah maybe hes saying anderson isnt completely unhittable, but basically everyone would agree hes been hit in his career so its a dumb argument

the times I can think of where he was hit v Cote and Maia, he became really elusive afterwards and didnt get hit again. franklin, bonnar and forrest are all skilled, high output strikers with insane cardio, like every one is a better version of Bisping, and they never touched him. Marquardt, Hendo and Leites got him down but didnt hit him down there at all. Okami never hit him or threatened him in any way. Leben couldnt touch him. Irvin. Wheres the mythology

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 1, 2016

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Conor went to hang out with a fan in LA out of the blue. http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_0p8yppy3/

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

There is no problem with with how mouth guards are handled. The problem was Bisping being dumb, which Bisping himself admitted

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Anderson heard Lee Murray had power so he ran away and won with leg kicks because he was too elusive for murray to hit

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

fatherdog posted:

Something that doesn't get mentioned much is that I think the Weidman fights did serious and lasting damage to Anderson's chin. It's not something that gets thought of much because he was so elusive during much of his UFC tenure, but it used to be absurdly good.

[url=http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Jorge-Rivera-Anderson-Silva-Stronger-Than-He-Looks-Winked-When-Hit-46583]

how do guys in higher weightclasses get by longer in their career than someone like Anderson Silva? I figure you'd see a lot more heavyweights dropping like Anderson did if they took even close to the same amount of damage as he did from a larger opponent

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Lutter, Sonnen, Weidman, and Bisping are your 4 fights to build the anderson wasnt that elusive argument around. Bisping we scratch easily because he was 40, had two brutal knockouts, looked tired and chinny, coming off a roid layoff. Weidman, well weidman was just better, thats easy, Sonnen had the fight of his life, coming out like gangbusters and was hgh'd out, and lutter, well i think anderson looked terrible but I dont know if one time a fat talented guy mounted him for seven punches makes anderson any less elusive

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bundt Cake posted:

no the ref should not call a time out to get a mouth piece. there shouldnt be any ways for a fighter to induce a time out. picking it up is a good idea because there shouldnt be poo poo on the ground be sides slippery logos, ice and blood

This was a fantastic under-appreciated joke, and I thank you for it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Eat Bum Zen posted:

how do guys in higher weightclasses get by longer in their career than someone like Anderson Silva? I figure you'd see a lot more heavyweights dropping like Anderson did if they took even close to the same amount of damage as he did from a larger opponent

The first thing that starts to go with age is reaction time, and the higher you go in weight the slower guys are, which is why historically the lower in weight you go the less career longevity guys have.

Some of it's down to style, too, a dude like Cain or Randy who have/had very smothering, control-the-pace styles are going to inherently have an easier time as they slow down than guys like Machida or Silva.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Le Saboteur posted:

Conor went to hang out with a fan in LA out of the blue. http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_0p8yppy3/

Conor owns

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

fatherdog posted:

The first thing that starts to go with age is reaction time, and the higher you go in weight the slower guys are, which is why historically the lower in weight you go the less career longevity guys have.

Some of it's down to style, too, a dude like Cain or Randy who have/had very smothering, control-the-pace styles are going to inherently have an easier time as they slow down than guys like Machida or Silva.

I like how Fabers aged. He began as a wrestly guy then sorta developed a cool looking striking style then when he speed ebbed he's become a wrestly guy again

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
Couldn't get to the fights this weekend. Do I need to go back and watch Anderson lose/maybe not lose or can I just skip it?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
my first thought wrt anderson is 'never even came close to being hit' when he actually did get hit rarely because he's not a god just the best fighter ever so i guess i just phrased what i tried to say very badly! it wasn't meant disparagingly at all. with how quick mma fans are to write off a fighter for just getting hit in a fight, the endurance of anderson's image as quite literally untouchable is a huge testament to how good his career was and how jawdropping his fights were, who knows when we'll see another guy like that.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Agent Tough Juice posted:

Couldn't get to the fights this weekend. Do I need to go back and watch Anderson lose/maybe not lose or can I just skip it?

Its a pretty good fight

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Agent Tough Juice posted:

it was a great/weird fight, it's worth watching for anderson's offense alone

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i just rewatched the fights where he knocked out that guy in cage rage, excuse me for forgetting his name, with the upward elbow and the one where he knocked out forest griffin with an anchor punch. he was so good

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Dangersim posted:

There is no problem with with how mouth guards are handled. The problem was Bisping being dumb, which Bisping himself admitted

Whilst this is technically probably right, it was also quite unsporting of Silva. Had he won the fight through that knee I think it would have been quite a controversial win.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

GTO posted:

Whilst

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

GTO posted:

Whilst this is technically probably right, it was also quite unsporting of Silva. Had he won the fight through that knee I think it would have been quite a controversial win.

It was unsporting but i dont know if it would be controversial, it was totally legal and I dont think anyone could really blame silva or care, especially given Bispings history of bending the rules & being unsportsmanlike to get wins in some of his fights

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

GTO posted:

you cant expect that kind of thing from people in professional sports. the referee didnt tell him to stop fighting so he didnt

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I think it wouldve been more controversial if Herb actually had stepped in when bisping asked him to, since Silva had just landed his first good offense of the fight (the flurry that knocked Bispings mouthguard out to begin with) and had him stunned, if Bisping looked to the ref at that moment and got a break and then went back to winning rounds youd hear way more from the Silva fans

As it happened I think its pretty uncontroversial. Bisping pulled a dumbass move under pressure, Silva capitalized on it then pulled his own dumbass move jumping on the cage, the fight went on pretty much normally and Bisping won

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Shogun Ko'd Brandon vera in the exact same circumstances. There's a trained killer a few feet away trying to hurt you, you should probably pay attention.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
remember when bisping threw a picture perfect actually illegal knee to jorge rivera's face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Also a guy complaining to get a couple seconds break when he's just been hit hard enough to get his mouthpiece knocked out might have ulterior motives

• Locked thread