Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
wanna plop one of thos wet donuts in a searing hot pan and get it crispy and crunchy and almost burnt on both sides

and then like whipped cream and a cherry on top or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I make a range of chilis and chili-like products. The common denominator is a thick sauce that is primarily flavored by chili peppers.

The chili of my childhood is ground beef, kidney beans, diced bell peppers, diced onions, and whole stewed tomatoes. Seasoned with chili powder out of the shakey jar and a small amount of red pepper flakes. Served with shredded cheese on top and tortilla chips (and also a spoon, you will run out of chips before you're done).

Mrs. Witchcraft's family's chili is about the same, but no bell peppers. Seasoned with Goya sazon, less chili powder, and Goya sofrito. No cheese, no chips. Served over rice.

My favorite chili is hefty chunks of pork shoulder, onions, [one each of every pepper from the produce section that looks plump and just shy of going soft], and stewed whole tomato in a slow cooker goin' all day long. Seasoned with canned chipotles in adobo, diced garlic, garlic powder, cumin, and a flat tablespoon each of cocoa powder and instant espresso granules. Served with tortilla chips. No cheese.

My second favorite chili is roughly the same as above, but with ground turkey meat, and chickpeas. Instead of chipotles in adobo, mix of paprika and smoked paprika and red pepper flakes. Extra cumin. Dash of coriander seed powder. Over rice.

I made "white chili" a few times, slow cooking boneless chicken thighs and navy beans and hungarian wax peppers. Light on the cumin, extra peppers, extra diced garlic. Served with pepper jack cheese on top and tortilla chips. It was good but Mrs. Witchcraft refuses.

I would happily plow through a bowl of any of those, and basically any chili that is not burnt or inedibly salted or something like that.

Chili is like pizza. Even if it's not that great, or it's kind of weird for your tastes, it's still chili. It is a savory wet amalgam of foods that compliment each other. You have to really gently caress up to make it actively taste bad, as opposed to tasting "bad" because it is not the right kind of chili.

Tangentially, my father in law makes the weirdest "baked beans" I have ever eaten, but it's great and I'll eat it any day. Casserole dish of canned premade baked beans with brown sugar and bacon/pork fat. Riddled with chunks of ground beef, hot dog slices, chopped bacon, chopped onions. You put it all in a bowl with yellow mustard and brown sugar to taste, plop it in the casserole dish, and bake. Also served with rice. My family makes it with canned baked beans in a casserole dish topped with a bacon lattice and brown sugar.

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 05:45 on May 21, 2020

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
turkey is really fuckin good in chili. the inherent flavors of the meat itself pair wonderfully with roasted/smoked peppers and cumin.

i like ground turkey but some people don't, because the texture is just different enough from ground beef that it feels weird/wrong

you can put whole turkey parts in the chili instead. get some dark meat thighs and let 'em cook till they are fall apart tender like pulled pork.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

d3lness posted:

As somebody who is trying to lose weight, these people showing the worst version of a """""cheat day"""" bothers the ever living gently caress out of me.

https://mobile.twitter.com/imeggsellent/status/1258572413509554178

before i became a parent, i had the spare time to be a turbo gym rat, and this video reminded me of how guilty i felt about adding 2 oreos to my vanilla whey protein/flax powder/soy milk/ice protein shake on cheat day. you can get into a really weird headspace/cycle when you are that disciplined and regimented about every food you eat

anyway

that abomination doesn't even look like it tastes good. it's just a wet sloppy pile of savory food. i feel like they would turn their nose up at the idea of eating "tater tot hot dish" but they made basically the same thing, except it's not thrifty. you spent like $30 to make a pile of slop that will taste the same as a $5 pile of slop because it's from a drive through instead of a walmart freezer. who are you kidding. how are you even kidding yourself.

it sure is aesthetic though!!!

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
i do not like the dayum drops guy because he says the same thing like 5 times in a row when describing the food or service. and then after a bite he says it 5 more times

his enthusiasm level is great, even when he expects it to be terrible food. i can identify with this. i also love his beard and hope that when mine goes grey it is that regal

but stop saying the same loving thing for emphasis!! i know what drive through and takeout food is and what to expect from it! don't act like im fresh off of mars learning human customs

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

I would murder an entire pizza of this. Partly because I want to eat it, and partly to hid my sin from all others.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Tunicate posted:

There are official legal rules dictating what is and isn't chocolate, and these products don't meet them.

This brought back a memory of being a kid, and eavesdropping a conversation between mom and dad about Christmas/Easter candy.

Dad preferred Palmer because it's cheap, so all 3 kids can have a stocking/basket full to the brim with chocolates. And kids aren't picky about candy, they'll eat it.

Mom wanted it to be Real Chocolate, because it tastes better, and the kids deserve real, good chocolate. It doesn't matter if you get less candy, it should be something that is a real treat, not junk food you don't even really like.

We had different Christmases/Easters throughout the years where either mom or dad won the argument. I largely preferred mom's method. BUT, Palmer made (maybe still does?) chocolate coins that had a layer of Reese's style peanut butter in the middle and it was so good. The perfect ratio of chocolate style product and dry crumbly peanut butter, stamped with JFK's face! I see chocolate coins all the time around the holidays, but haven't run into the peanut butter filled ones in ages.

I hated the chore of eating a giant Palmer chocolat-y easter bunny though.

RE: dark/milk/white chocolate tier chat, I like both really strong dark chocolate (80% or more) and white chocolate. Milk chocolate is just okay, I almost always wish it was dark or white chocolate instead. For example, Snickers is a good candy bar, but I like Zero bars better just because the white chocolate is better than milk chocolate.

Also, Reese's never should have made white chocolate peanut butter cups. They are terrible, the flavor just doesn't mix with the peanut butter filling.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Tiggum posted:

White chocolate is mostly terrible. The bar for it to be worthwhile is so much higher than for dark chocolate that the vast majority of the time it's just not going to reach it. And even at it's best, it pretty much only works as a component. I can't imagine ever choosing to eat white chocolate by itself.

Milk chocolate, on the other hand, is the embodiment mediocrity. There is literally no reason to ever use it for anything because dark would just be better. Despite not actually being bad, as such, it is guaranteed to be disappointing because of how much better it could have been.

So white chocolate, I generally won't eat, but milk chocolate I will eat it but I won't be happy about it.

woah, a tiggum post I agree with

because white chocolate is made from LESS ingredients than regular chocolate, its flavor is milder and less complex

this also means that each ingredient in white chocolate should be held to a higher standard. if any part of it is poor quality, it will make the end product notably bad

good white chocolate isn't some rare, exotic thing. there's no secret recipe, just quality ingredients.

the only reason bad white chocolate exists is because companies cut corners to save money. and in the case of white chocolate, you can taste the difference when those corners are cut.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Data Graham posted:

Higher than like 85% is pretty unpleasant and nobody eats it who isn't trying to prove some kind of hot-sauce-esque manliness point.

I legit enjoy the really high % dark chocolates. Not on their own, but as part of a trail mix style snack. Super dark chocolate + dried cherries + almonds or peanuts is a really pleasant mouthful of flavors and textures.

Eating the near-100% chocolate stuff on its own is like drinking vanilla extract. It is part of something pleasant, but on its own it is cloying, astringent, bitter...

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Zil posted:

No hesitation

Thos patties are so thin, they remind me of the Walmart sausage patties my son loves for breakfast. I do not like to think about how they forced loose meat into such a thin slice. That meat is no longer loose. It has been imprisoned, in two dimensions.

Real easy to plop one into the microwave for 30sec with cheese on top and serve between toast though. I like mine with some scrambled eggs, WITCHCRAFT jr does not.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

The Grandmapocalypse has begun...

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Also, not my picture, but saw these in the wild recently.

This is a company that usually makes chips, cheese doodles, and cheese balls.

Those are cheese balls in Dippin' Dots Cookies n' Cream flavor.

I cannot unsee them as being a rice puff with black sesame/seaweed furikake sprinkled on

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Yeah, I imagine they taste fine but my first taste-instinct from seeing the product itself (not the bag) was "oh, some savory Japanese snack with seaweed and sesame"

also I find Dippin' Dots morally objectionable. They aren't better than regular ice cream. Actually sub-par. It's just a novelty to make you kids beg you PLEASE CAN WE GET THE $8 MAGIC ICE CREAM WHILE WE'RE AT THE AMUSEMENT PARK

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
This is at least a page ago, but about the whole chickens perched directly on the oven rack, with a vegetables/drippins pan below:

CLEANING AN OVEN RACK IS A PAIN IN THE rear end, IT'S REAL BIG AND YOU GOTTA JERK OFF EACH INDIVIDUAL ROD TO GET CRISPY poo poo OFF OF IT. WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS???

Instead, cut the vegetables to either small cubes or thin slices no more than 1/4" height

Put veg in baking pan. Place mesh cooling racks (you know, for like cookies and poo poo) on top. The veg should be short enough to not touch the rack.

Put chickens on racks. Do the oven thing.

Now you only have to clean two small racks the size of a dinner plate instead of yanking a whole rack out of your oven and making a huge mess on the counter when you clean it because it is too large to fit inside your sink.

You can also do this same trick, but with an empty pan instead of vegetables. Then, you can use the drippins to make gravy cool the pan full of salty seasoned drippins until it becomes solid and near-dry.

To serve, peel crispy salty schmaltz jerky straight off the pan by hand. Directly to mouth. At 2AM, when no one can witness your shame. Oh, wow that's good. Maybe I'll peel off one more piece. Okay, this one is the last, I promise.

Tashilicious posted:

this looks fine?

where do you live that finger-wiener homunculus buns are "fine"

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

I mean, I absolutely would, nothing wrong with that, BUT

if you are doing chicken + mushrooms + peppers in a cream sauce over pasta, you got FLAVOR POSSIBILITIES

Put some strong cheese in there. Whole cloves of oven roasted garlic. Black pepper infused Fancy rear end Olive Oil. Reduce the mushrooms in butter + MSG + extra fine diced anchovies. Get alfredo as gently caress.

Put some cajun / soul food spice in there. I've been seeing this particular dish in diners and slop shops around here for years and it's delicious.

Add chopped pre-cooked bacon, pancetta, etc. plus peas. Scornworthy American pasta masterpiece.

Alternatively, don't get fancy. Go full on hotdish mode. Chicken, peppers, mushrooms, linguine, tater tots floating in a matrix of cream o' mushroom soup and whatever cheese is on hand. Bread crumb/shaky cheese topper, which gets crispy brown during baking.

I would eat any of these, and none of them would disappoint.

Regular old alfredo sauce from a jar plus a meat and some veg over pasta is a nice mid work-week "gently caress it, I'm not cooking because I want to, but because I have to" dish that you can easily multiply for leftovers. Everyone in the house, even my son (who is autistic) will happily eat reheated white goo over noodles the next day for dinner.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

I'd like to take this moment and remind all readers,

FOOD OBJECTS SMOKE-COOKED IN UNDERGROUND LOCALES

BURIED WITH SMOKING COALS / REVERSE UN-EARTHED WITH RED HOT ROCKS

THEY TASTE GOOD AS HECK EVEN IF THEY DIRTY WHEN YOU DIG THEM UP

One of the best camping meals I ever had was potatoes, tossed in a pit with hot coals and buried. You had to pick and peel off the burnt skin and sand, but they were the best potatoes I ever ate in my life.

Next time I go camping, some peppers and meat are gonna go into the smoke-hole and get coffin'd. I am excited for the possibilities.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I had no idea "pizza logs" were a local upstate NY thing. It's an egg roll, but with pizza parts inside. I've seen all kinds of "fusion egg roll" things served in nationwide franchises and on food tourism TV shows.

A "southwest" eggroll, stuffed with corn and black beans and chilis and cheese. Spicy ranch dipping sauce.

A "polish" eggroll, basically a reuben on eggroll instead of rye. Thousand island dipping sauce.

An "italian" eggroll, with mozzarella and cured meats inside. Marinara dipping sauce.

A "philly cheese" eggroll, with beef/peppers/onions inside, and cheese whiz for dippin'.

This is some Applebee's and Chili's poo poo. You'all have never seen it before?

The head chef at the place I used to work at wanted to open a food truck that did just goofy fusion egg rolls, and park near the local Big Sports Building. It's great drunk food, I bet it would've sold well. Currywurst eggroll with dippin sauce. "Sushi" eggroll with wasabi mayo. Hot oily fried tube with goodies inside, and your drunk rear end gets to dip it into complementary sauce and make a big mess on your shirt. I would destroy any reasonable combination of those after a few drinks.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
My regular french toast "dip" has cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg, maybe some other spices that have been gathering dust since Thanksgiving/Christmas. Only the toppings make it sweet.

A diner near me does a Monte Cristo sandwich that is french toast with ham and swiss inside. Light powdered sugar on top. Raspberry jam for dipping. Owns bones.

If you take the spices out, I bet french toast would be amazing topped with leftover gravy and meat chunks.

Oh man, what about allspice french toast topped with pulled jerk chicken and like some kind of coffee gravy or something.

EGG FOO YOUNG FRENCH TOAST WITH ÉTOUFFÉE, SHRIMP, AND GREEN ONIONS

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

bless this mess

i want like ten of those

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I tried the Duke's mayo a while back when it was a thread challenge/gang tag thing, and it is better than any other store bought brand I have used. If some place has HOUSE MADE AIOLI on the menu, or if you make your mayo from scratch sure that will be better. But for premade out-the-jar mayo Duke's is pretty darn good.

What weird sandwiches have y'all ate in childhood? My grandfather like to eat peanut butter and (bread and butter) pickles, and when my mom was a kid she liked "Elmer's Glue sandwiches" (mayo, salt, pepper, cheese food product slice). When I was a kid (and still now) I liked grilled cheese but with mustard and dill pickles. Sometimes even a slice of deli ham in there. Poor man's Cuban sandwich.

Not a sandwich, but the other weird thing I loved as a kid was introduced by my dad. You take some cinnamon sugar graham crackers and break them up in a bowl, then you pour milk on it like it's cereal and you have to eat it in like 30 seconds before it turns into mush. Really good with skim milk.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

That's a lot of avocado for one person.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

despondent_hooters_photographer.jpg

edit: OH OH CINNAMON ROLL CHILI CHAT

MAI WIFE (VERY NAICE) PUTS SUGAR IN HER CHILI AND IT IS THE MOST DISGUSTING FOOD BEHAVIOR. I can understand her just not liking the texture of fish (I love it for being so soft and flaky, but it is unique among proteins and sure others might not like it) BUT HOW YOU GONNA DESTROY CHILI WITH SPOONFULS OF SUGAR

I think part of this hatred is that when I was in college, I packed my lunch with a big bowl of chili. I would always hit the gym before lunch, have my big meal and a rest while doing homework, then be fresh and ready for afternoon classes. Except I accidentally took her tupperware of SUGAR CHILI to school, and my starved post-workout mouth took a huge bite and I gagged in the commons room and people stared at me and then I made a very angry SMS text.

I like lots of sweet, spicy, savory things. But chili is not one of them. It never should be.

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Jun 29, 2020

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I've never seen MD 20/20 in the wild. I always wanted to try them after reading some ancient early 2000s website that reviewed wino/hobo beverages.

Those Johnny Bootlegger things are all over the place though. They taste like a cheap/lovely version of sugary fruit liqueurs that you're supposed to use as part of a mixed beverage? Maybe they are good with a shot of vodka in some club soda??

edit: found the wino website: http://www.bumwine.com/

oh man, that reminds me that I always wanted to try Buckfast Tonic Wine. 17% ABV and caffeinated. Any UK goon opinions on the stuff?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
bell pepper soup bowls filled with a chowder of mayo, garlic, sugar, and corn

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Randaconda posted:

I think everybody's parents bought that Corelle set in the 70s and then, since it lasts forever, ate on it for the next several decades.

My parents must have had a full Corelle ware set at some point, because as a kid they still had some plates and bowls, but also weird esoteric pieces like an oval casserole dish with matching glass cover that never fit on anything else ever. Ours had avocado green accents.

They used them for the cats' dry food and water dishes. To this day, seeing green Corelle Ware makes me think of the smell of dry cat food. And then I remember being almost too small to talk, and trying a little crunchy triangle out of the cat dish...

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

look at that shameful utensil

i saw a pack of those at walmart years ago and took a pic because god drat

fuckin oil spill colored spoon

magnesium citrate diarrhea film colored table cutlery

poo poo look like something you would buy in Second Life or Roblox for a ridiculous price

and yet it's on a fancy rear end plate

DORITOS CRUSTED BEAN MEDLEY w/ IRIDESCENT OIL RAINBOW SPOON [17.99 or market price w/ added seafood]

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

empty sea posted:

Probably the grossest lobster I've seen in a while. Why is it grey? Is it sitting on a bed of lovely fried potatoes? What's in the little satchel?

look at this dude who never seen a ravioli before lmao

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Elviscat posted:

Which pairs better with Lobster, Indica or Sativa?

Do you smoke/ingest it before or after eating the Lobster?

I have exhausted my marijuana knowledge.

no no no you're going about this all wrong

you make make weed butter and then dip the lobster in that

herb infused butter dipping sauce

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

AlbieQuirky posted:

Que triste.

Good news, though, the white stuff that looks like mayonnaise is probably requeijão cremoso, which is a slightly tangy liquid cream cheese.

yeah, but what about the stuff that looks like banana pudding

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

my dad used to work with a huge powerlifter dude that would eat an 8 pack of hotdogs cold out of the package and half a loaf of wonderbread with 2 glasses of whole milk for lunch when he was bulking

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

thos little filmy circles atop a red base are screaming to me "petri dish"

I don't care about the crowd of aquatic dick-and-balls that came to watch, i will not drink the c. diff jello shot

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

I managed to cut a bell pepper like this once, and my son was extremely upset that I was trying to feed him cursed image peppers (his exact words)

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 06:43 on Jul 18, 2020

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

man, that is just simultaneously cool and viscerally unpleasant. it looks like it tastes good, but i also don't want to take a single bite

impressive

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
oh man what if instead of corn it had a ring of human teeth

that would be pretty hosed up haha

i wonder what the teeth smell like haha

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

I thought this was an incredibly cursed toilet at first glance.

It looks like a humongous fungus filled the entire bowl, and then attached itself to the lid.

can you imagine the smell

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

ignoring everything else,

that plate is violence

imagine scraping a spoon or fork across it

imagine scraping a knife across it

imagine scraping your bare fingers across it

imagine 𝕤𝕔𝕣𝕒𝕡𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕥𝕠𝕟𝕘𝕦𝕖 𝕒𝕔𝕣𝕠𝕤𝕤 𝕚𝕥

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

uber_stoat posted:

the way i make rice is i put a cup of rice in the machine and i look on the internet to see how much water goes in the machine, then i put the water in there close the lid and push the "rice" button. works every time.

I do this except with a standard pot. I put 1 cup of rice, then i put 2 cups of water in there close the lid. heat to boiling then let it cook on lowest possible setting, covered

this apparently makes me a heathen on par with Tiggum

if there are any other ingredients involved, I follow the recipe.

but if it just want plain white rice I do 1:2 rice:water and I have never had undercooked or overcooked rice

there are no cooking issues

the cooking time varies depending on your stovetop

but like, you know what rice is like, yes?

you cook it until it's cooked rice

im not saying it's better than a rice cooker

but I do not understand how anyone can gently caress up this method, it works for any type of rice , on any kind of lovely stovetop

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

I like spicy things, so I wanted to know more about Josh's Juggle Jungle, and after a few quick googles...

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

unless the vodka is overly smoky or fishy that sounds like a great... appetizer/aperitif???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Elviscat posted:

I would voluntarily eat that pickle sandwich.

It'd be so loving hard to do though.

yeah like flavor wise sure, whatever, weird ratio of ingredients but it won't taste bad

actually trying to eat it you would have to hold a plate under your mouth the catch all the sandwich leavings