Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Do you think the FDA has guidelines about what canned squid you can and can not call "Fancy Quality?"

The USDA "glitter in food grading" document covers that.

Glitter makes everything fancy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Murphy Brownback posted:

My mom's spaghetti plate looks like that all the time, no gag required (although minus the sauce, her and my dad are strict butter+spaghetti+shitload of kraft parmesan only people). Some people really like that stuff.

Yeah, I have to raise my hand and address the court on this one. The only acceptable plate of spaghetti is the one where the spaghetti is hidden beneath a thick layer of Parmesan. Sliced Parmesan on good crackers is the bomb, too.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I could see this being OK actually. In Mexico they have a thing where you get spicy cheetos, meat, cheese and fixings all mixed together inside the cheeto bag and it's really good.

I'm going to go with cheap cheese dip/queso.

RareAcumen posted:

I've heard of this too but with fritos.

Yeah, the Fritos variant is called a "walking taco" in Scouting. They're pretty good, and very effective on the trail.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

rodbeard posted:

I cook with fish sauce and I basically have to hold my nose until it simmers for a while, but there's somehow no fishy taste in the finished product.

I put fish sauce in anything that I want to augment the savory flavor. I can kill a liter pretty quickly. The sodium content though, drat.

Mayonnaise and Peanut Butter. It's definitely a.. um, hmm.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

SneakyFrog posted:

chiming in with that Sambuca poo poo is god awful.

WHAT!? Sambuca, Uzo, are both awesome! It's Masaokis' favorite.

https://vimeo.com/17722893

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Is that "poo poo on a Shingle" (dried beef on toast[rehydrated dried beef with a white gravy on toast])? If done properly, it's really good. In fact, in a few "comfort food" restaurants I've been to, it's on the menu. At, like $15 a plate. It used to be "poor food".

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Skyline Chili is the Super Prime A1 drunk, and hangover food, and yes they pile that much cheese on. The store on Brown street at the University of Dayton should've had my name on one of the tables. There is one up here in NE Ohio, but it's about 30 miles away. :smith:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I can't bring myself to drink Caesars because clam juice

I'm a Bloody Mary freak, and I tried a Bloody Caesar just once and couldn't take it. It even used legit Mott's Bloody Caesar mixer, too. There was something really off about the taste -- almost "burnt" tasting. Weird, because I like clams.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

canis minor posted:

I think the weirdest thing I've drunk was a cocktail made of vodka and sour pickle brine.

Sounds close to a Dirty Martini. Throw some olive brine in with the vodka and vermouth. It's interesting tasting, but doesn't really ring my bell.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Happy birthday Cash Crab!

Time for birthday shots:

I am pretty sure it was this thread that inspired me to get and drink this. Thanks, thread!

I have friends that live in Chicago who are coming here in a week or two, and they promised to bring me a fifth. Will report back.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

cash crab posted:

extremely open-faced sandwich.

mods?

So, pretty much anything with bread, or that contains a bread-like substance is a sandwich. i.e. bread pudding is actually a deconstructed massively open-faced sandwich (MOFS).

I'll shut up now.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I mean, this is kind of a food trend, but really, I just want to post Gary Busey's ice cream truck :swoon:

https://twitter.com/THEGaryBusey/status/753984492277071873

God, can you imagine him as the driver? Like, with the traditional white uniform and little paper hat? I wonder what the truck's music would be.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

When I was a kid we had mice in our trailer, and my mom burned one to death in our toaster. We couldn't afford a new one for a couple of paycheques. I used to take frozen waffles, put my lips around them, and breathe into them to thaw them and eat them like that. It was okay because they were the fancy cinnamon ones and they tasted fairly okay.

Similar story. My wife and I had a deep fryer that we stored in the kitchen beneath the sink (fatal error #1), that we rarely used. There were a string of dinners that we did in fact use it (fish & chips, and a couple of others) so she decided just to keep the oil in the fryer after it had cooled down, and then covered it with it's barely functional storage "lid" (fatal error #2). We live in a 116yo house that has more entrances for mice than probably could ever be quantified. Anyway, on the evening of the next meal that required some deep frying, she took the thing out, placed it on the counter, and plugged it in to warm up. Some 15 minutes or so later, I walk by and notice that it was not only preheated, but happily frying away. Lifted the top, and... yep. Jerry mouse was somehow so turned on by the smell that he decided to take a dip, and consequently drowned, prior to being fried.

My wife freaked out so bad she made me take the whole thing outside to the back vegetable garden, and bury it (while she watched).

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Chantilly Say posted:

Wait, when you say "whole thing" do you mean you buried the deep fryer?

Yep. Mouse hors d'oeuvre, molten oil, and the entire fryer. It was a Fry Baby:

so it wasn't too big. To say she was slightly traumatized by the event is probably an understatement.

Anyway, I dug it up and "disposed of it properly" in the Spring. She does not know this.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Efexeye posted:

ubiquitous midwestern white castle myths include: a) the patty is liver and b) the onions are just cabbage soaked in onion juice

they call 'em sliders because they slide in and they slide out

if you haven't polished off a briefcase of 20 sliders at 2 am after a hard night at the bar you havent lived

can confirm the frozen ones are indistinguishable from the fresh

Having grown up in Southwestern Ohio (where either they, or the "White Tower" knockoff) stood about every two blocks on the main drags, I can confirm that they have a unique, and remarkable laxative quality. I still ate them, though because they were cheap college drunk food along with Skyline's coney dogs.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Chicken hearts and livers with black beans, eggs, toast. It looked awful but tasted great.

The Bristol Stool Chart instantly came to mind.

If I even get a whiff of any kind of cooked liver at all, I will instantly dry heave. I attribute this to my parents who forced me to eat it when I was a kid, even after I told them I would hurl, and then they got mad at me when the inevitable happened.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

somekindofguy posted:

*smushes face against your window*

BUT HE'S A BUSIBESSMAN

Don't you cucks know the way to make food even better is to put a critic of it in charge

Shaking my drat head here

Content: Was in St. Louis recently, what sort of pizza is this

Overcooked, and possibly vegan?

Stolen from the YOSPOS computer pictures thread:

http://globalnews.ca/video/3131226/leslie-hortons-holiday-treat-was-not-a-hit

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't remember the last time I saw a Donato's so dunno.

Maybe Cincinnati is weird then. In Dayton the only place I ever regularly got a square cut pizza was Marion's.

This whole thing reminds me of Brits getting irrationally angry about American Smarties though, I don't get what the big deal is.

Cincinnati is weird.

Born and bred in SW Ohio (Dayton specifically), I would have to agree that Marion's and Cassano's were the only two that I remember that were square cut. Cassano's used to be good, and then Marion's became Cassano's quality-wise. If you ever get over to the wonderful "city in a corn maze" that is Van Wert, there's a place called Klosterman's that will take both Cassano's and Marion's downtown and give them a good curb stomping.

Cassano's is selling frozen pizzas now? Anyone try one? Is it crap?

I'm in Cleveland now, and everything here is pie-like, and not really too good.

I miss Noble Roman's deep dish Sicilian.

In TYOOL 2016 Totino's pizza is now square so it fits in a toaster oven pan forcing a square cut. What hath God wrought?

/end pizza chat

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

meatloaf cone

MODS! MODS!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

poo poo. Uh, we still have those.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Hostess Orange Cupcakes...

*drops mike*

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Also it smells weird.

You know, I agree with you, and you're not the first person to say the same thing. So it's that way on the bottom of the planet, too, huh? I wonder what the cause of Eau Du Subway really is? We have one built into a Circle K, and even when I go in just to buy a gallon of milk, I almost can't stand the smell. Weird.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Zipperelli. posted:

Surprise! Salmonella!

:69snypa:

Content:

Pancakes

Reminds me of the Horta from Star Trek TOS "The Devil in the Dark".

I'm a doctor, Jim, not a bricklayer!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Not sure what this is, but you sick fucks would probably call it a pizza.

D'awwww! It's a baby Horta! :3:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

This thread teaches me so many things.

So are Nestle's Quik, and Nesquik the same product with different names on the different coasts, or are they still the same product just in two different containers each of which is based on your current geographical position? I am confuse.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

God, that was the theme song of my gym class in loving elementary school. I'd thought I'd forgot it. Now it's in my brain forever. Thanks so much PotY!

Yeah, I'm :corsair:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

I heart bacon posted:

Would! Also, what is it about certain things being eaten at the beach? There's something about that atmosphere. I live in west Michigan and lunch at lake Michigan is my favorite.

There are people who eat freshwater clams. I'm not sure about Lake Michigan, but in many spots on Lake Huron where we used to spend summers, freshwater clams were really easy to find. Never tried one, though. Only used them for fishing bait, and boy do the fish love them (yellow perch especially). I guess, according to some folks I've talked to, you have to "purge" them just like saltwater clams (i.e. put them in a bucket with corn meal suspended in the water, and let them clean themselves out), then boil the gently caress out of them in saltwater before you do whatever final cooking with them you plan to do. I was told they're really tough, but basically taste like saltwater clams. Sounds like they'd be perfect for a clam chowder where you would chop them up into weensy pieces.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Donnie isn't Mexican

Or reasonably literate.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

dolphinbomb posted:

By 'generic halloween toffee,' do you mean Peanut Butter Kisses?

Because those are anything but gross :colbert:

And when you combine the two worst Halloween candies? You get a new, fresh, hell.

What are circus peanuts? We just don't know.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

wtf did I just see? What were the sauces.. WHAT WERE THE SAUCES?!!!!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

I'm a tomato freak. I grow 12-18 plants each Summer in my veggie garden just to support my habit. This sandwich should actually be toast + cream cheese + tomato + garlic salt. Heaven. As an aside, on of my favorite quick ways to make a snack is slice up a tomato, add some minced garlic on top of each slice, some sea salt, and grated Parmesan. Amazingly good.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

I grow a 4ftx4ft patch of cilantro in my veggie garden (along with basil, and dill), and I can definitely say there's a point where "too much cilantro" is achieved. My wife likes a ton of it, and it's usually just too "cilantro-y" for me. Personally, I like the byproduct better, Coriander. Now there's a spice I can get behind.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

NO YOU CAN gently caress OFF SIR!!!!

I love raw jalapenos.

I'm planting (well, "planted" the seedlings look sweet) hot Thai peppers this year, and one Cayenne. We have enough preserved Jalapenos from last year to last through this season. Never tried the little Thai peppers, we'll see how they do. I do love me some heat, but not so much that it makes the skin on your lips come off. Here's an unidentifiable meat:

I think the thermometer is there so they can make absolutely sure it's not alive.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Ranter posted:

Is.. is that a pork meatloaf that was left covered?

I dunno, but the sheer amount of grease is kind of stomach turning. I didn't think meatloaf produced that much grease.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Ranter posted:

I'm a filthy foreigner and so I didn't grow up on meatloaf, but I adopted it like I adopted my new country the United States of America, and made it my own.

I skip the bread/crumbs, but instead go with:

3:1 beef to pork
Super finely diced onion, carrot and green capsicum (that's green pepper)
Worcestershire sauce
Sage
a tiny bit of smoked paprika
fresh parsley
here's where it gets weird - a ton of baby spinach
2 eggs
salt
pepper
bacon
ketchup and mustard

first I saute the carrot to get it a little bit soft. then the onion and peppers go in to also soften just a bit.

remove from heat, put in a big bowl and spread it out to encourage it to cool.

mix in the sage, woosta, fresh parsley, paprika, salt, pepper.

beat the eggs then mix them in. mix in the meat.

put the mixture in the fridge to let it cool down more.

roll out a big sheet of plastic wrap

spread the meat out over it, then put the spinach in the middle, then roll it up. voila 'spinach-stuffed meatloaf'.

cover the loaf with the bacon, bake it for a little while.

cover with the ketchup/mustard mix. bake more.

It actually sounds really good. But, I keep visualizing Nutra Loaf which I'm sure probably tastes like something fished out of the drain trap.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Yo, so tapenade. It can be done very well, but gently caress up even slightly (or buy the lovely store brands) and it's literally vegetable diarrhea in four of the five senses: smell, sight, feel, and probably taste are all functionally the exact same level of acrid and diseased as literal poo poo from an rear end hole.

I love olives but goddamn, a bad tapenade is like opening up a baby's diaper and scooping pita chips in.

I read that as tamponade and instantly got a little sick feeling.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

That is not of this Earth, is it?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Looks bad, Todd.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Would on the sprouts

My wife brazes Brussels Sprouts all the time, and they're excellent, but they don't look anything like that. I didn't check the recipe, but it really looks like there's some sort of sauce on them or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Well if she cooks them by joining them together with molten metal I'll bet they do come out looking a little different from that.

Crap, that was bad. :doh: Yeah, braise is what I meant. Funny, I literally was bronze brazing a part of a steel box just, like, an hour before I posted that. Brain short I guess.